Call me a bubba, but, what the heck are...

ChiMimi69

Actually, the 'newer models' aren't even really egg crates anymore, as they used to be. They are approximately one inch thick (or less, depending on how often they have been used) of light foam (not memory foam) with a very 'slight' dimple indentation in them. The old egg crates did wonders, but these new mattress pads are so thin, they really do little if any good to soften up the concrete. :D

Are the beds really that bad? I'm taking my first Princess cruise next month but have cruised many times before. All the other cruise line's I have been on I've had the best sleep ever in their beds and thought the beds were so comfy.

Lets put it this way, I would be happy to get one of their super hard mattresses, as bad as that is, in place of one that was similar to sleeping in a hammock. The next time I get one like that I'm going to complain and have them continually change it till I find a decent one.

Are the beds really that bad? I'm taking my first Princess cruise next month but have cruised many times before. All the other cruise line's I have been on I've had the best sleep ever in their beds and thought the beds were so comfy.

Reading threads about the beds on cruise ships is a lot like reading the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears . . . "Ouch," said Goldilocks. "This Carnival bed is too hard . . . Ooh, this Celebrity bed is too soft . . . Ahh, this Princess bed is just right."

It's all just a matter of what your personal preference is. I have sailed on Carnival, HAL, and Princess and have found the beds on all three to be just fine. Now, pillows is a different story. I always bring my own from home.

Jim

Reading threads about the beds on cruise ships is a lot like reading the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears . . . "Ouch," said Goldilocks. "This Carnival bed is too hard . . . Ooh, this Celebrity bed is too soft . . . Ahh, this Princess bed is just right."

It's all just a matter of what your personal preference is.

Actually, you rarely see complaints on the Carnival board about the beds. The topic just doesn't seem to come up very often, which leads me to believe it's not generally an issue. But here at the Princess board, it seems to come up very regularly, with a large number of people claiming the beds are too hard, or at least that they need the mattress toppers.

That leads one to think the beds on Princess really are more of an issue than they are on Carnival for some reason. Unless you believe that for whatever reason Princess cruisers demographic is just more likely to complain than Carnival cruisers demographic, which I doubt.

We have sailed with Princess on 13 cruises in three years, and DW has only required a topper once. Our own mattress at home is fairly firm. :p

Cato :o

Completed Cruises !

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

Future & Hopeful Cruises !

( Already booked )

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

There is a reason why mattress companys sell different types of firmness but we have found the mattresses on Princess to be just fine. We do have the topper placed on and we haven't had a bad nights sleep yet.

Toto - I think you will be pleasantly surprised at your new mattress cover! We had to cancel the Sapphire cruise you're about to embark on, but I remember the discussion on that roll call. We got one of those mattress covers, and it looks exactly like the picture on that link posted in #2 above. I hope you sleep well! We're so looking forward to your reporting on your cruise....Bobbie

Toto - I think you will be pleasantly surprised at your new mattress cover! We had to cancel the Sapphire cruise you're about to embark on, but I remember the discussion on that roll call. We got one of those mattress covers, and it looks exactly like the picture on that link posted in #2 above. I hope you sleep well! We're so looking forward to your reporting on your cruise....Bobbie

Bobbie, Thanks for the well wishes. We will let you know how this new memory foam topper works in about a week. :) :) :)

The last time we asked for an egg create the cabin steward gave us a 1/4" thick piece of sponge which was as good as nothing when compressed down.

I would just ask for a second one, put two together. We've never asked for any of these since we find the beds comfortable, but just in case next time, if it's too thin, I'll ask for a second.icon12.gif

The mattresses are very firm. If you like a nice hard, firm mattress you'll do well on Princess. If not, it can be very bad. No other cruise line boards (that I've seen) has as many complaints about the beds. Someone did a survey on the Celebrity board and about 10% said the beds were too hard. Someone did a survey here and about 50% said the beds were too hard. You almost never see complaints on the Cunard, HAL or Carnival boards. HAL and Cunard actually sell their mattresses because people love them. I dare say no one but a masochist would buy a Princess mattress for their home. JMO.

I just got off Sapphire last week, and they had been replacing the beds. In fact, in San Diego, I saw them off-loading old mattresses and bringing on new ones.

They had apparently been doing that on the cruise prior as well.

I had a mini-suite, and I had one of the new mattresses.

I had requested an "egg-crate" topper, but what they put on was more like a pillow-top mattress than a foam topper.

The bed was very comfy!:D And I like a soft bed.

So, Toto and all others sailing to Tahiti (including a friend of mine) I hope you find the new beds to your liking.

Archived