LIVE from the Ocean Princess - 28 days from Rome to Singapore 10/15 - 11/12/2011

Pia1913

Donna, Sounds like quite the adventure and something I would really enjoy, my wife and I have been on four cruises now and have our fifth one planned for 2013, all in the Caribbean. I have enjoyed reading your thread along with pia's since my wife and I are thinking we would like to try something other then the Caribbean on future cruises. One last thing, I know I am a little off the subject here but could you tell me how you got the illustrations of the ships you sailed on and when your sailed on them to appear in your posts.

I know I am a little off the subject here but could you tell me how you got the illustrations of the ships you sailed on and when your sailed on them to appear in your posts.

Those come from Nauticalcities - I think that's right anyway - you can click on one of them and it will go to the website and you should be able to create easily.

Yesterday in Cochin we did another CC arranged tour (Cochin Magic). Due to the immigration checks that we had to go through, the tour started a half hour late and ended up being quite rushed. Our guide was not as good as we had in Mumbai with Mumbai Magic. We went to the oldest Christian church (where Vasco de Gama was originally buried) and the oldest Synagogue in the Jewish quarter, an area were fishing is done in the old Chinese cantilever method. We then did a drive of about 70 km to an area that has a lot of rice paddies. Part of the ride was semi highway and part through busy streets. We passed an elephant walking along the road and did a quick photo stop from the bus. The area has canals that lead to a large lake. We took a nice ride in an Indian version of a house boat for about an hour and half and then back to the ship. The drive back was another 1.5 hours which got us to the ship just in time for final boarding. (Several Princess tours were later but we did not know that before). I thought the driving in other ports was crazy but in Cochin the driving is a white knuckle experience for passengers not used to it. Our driver spent half the time it seemed honking the horn. He would pass just about anytime expecting the on coming traffic to move onto the shoulder so he could keep going. At one red light traffic lined up 4 across to see who would get into the single lane first. When one vehicle is being passed and another driver thinks they are not passing fast enough the second passer will go 3 wide to complete a double pass. The amazing thing is there is very little sign of any thing like road rage.

It mystifies me way the staff chose last night for the champagne waterfall party. Most passengers were up early for the tours and the 134 that took the Princess tour to the Taj Mahl were up before 4 AM. (Reports are that trip was very worthwhile despite the long days and missed time in other ports). Most people were way too tired to attend a party like that. With today being the first of 4 sea days it would have made a lot more sense to have it on one of those days. The party was moved indoors due to rain that started just as we started sailing. It was basically a dancing party with a small fruit and desert buffet and a chance to get your photo taken pouring champagne into a pyramid of glasses. Fun for those that like dancing and first timers but not a big deal to most others.

Today was a mix of sun and cloud. I only caught part of the ‘Lairs All’ show which was very well attended and funny. During dinner as the sun set there was a large rain cloud just beside it making for a wonderful view with the contrast. Once the sun was down there was a great lightening show that we had a front row view from our table.

Tuesday,November 8th, and I cannot keep track of the time. We moved ahead an hour last night and I thought it was 11 hours ahead of EST. However, looking at Fox this morning, it may actually be 12. No matter. I'll gain them back eventually. We watched the movie (forgot the title) with Sean Penn last night. The one about Valerie Plame the CIA operative who get exposed in the press.

On tap this morning is the lecture "The Battle of Midway", another last chance $10 sale and a Back Stage tour. The afternoon has a lecture on Kuala Lumpur, Princess Pyramid and the passenger talent show. Tonight is the "going to be on the ship's forever" production show Motor City.

Answer: No. No Taj offered from Mumbai.

Time for breakfast here. Your dinner yesterday, there. :confused:

I really appreciate everyone's reporting of their experiences. Thank you all.Did Princess offer "Taj Mahal in a day" out of Mumbai as well as the overland excursion?

Taj Mahal in a day has been offerred in the past.....

however ....I believe it is a very difficult and expensive tour to organise.

It has to be done by a charter flight with the nearest airport to Agra being a Military one ,

for which special permission needs to be obtained in order to land.

In 2005 the cost for the tour was just on One Thousand dollars,($US) per person ,

so I shudder to think what they would have to charge today.

Dear Pia and Donna - I must really be a cruise junkie. Got home from the Ruby late last night and here I am today reading about all of your adventures at sea! This thread makes for a great read.

Sailing on the Ruby really made us appreciate the little ships. ;)

It sounds like you are getting great lectures...are you enjoying them? Are they well presented?

Donna - did you end up using Chaman Thakur's tour company? It's a shame that you lost money on the exchange rate.

The last night on the Ruby they had a Mega Trivia...80+ questions! Every member of the cruise staff participated and it was lots of fun. We didn't win but came close. Bet you would have enjoyed it!

Happy sailing!

Dee & John

Taj Mahal in a day has been offerred in the past.....

however ....I believe it is a very difficult and expensive tour to organise.

It has to be done by a charter flight with the nearest airport to Agra being a Military one ,

for which special permission needs to be obtained in order to land.

In 2005 the cost for the tour was just on One Thousand dollars,($US) per person ,

so I shudder to think what they would have to charge today.

For sure not in my budget anytime soon. So glad Donna shared the details of her side trip.:)

To those doing this itinerary in the future, I can only wish upon you the same wonderful weather we have had all the way.

Dee, I'm sure Tina will tell me all about the mega trivia. As for the lectures, one guy us excellent, the other presenter is good for napping. Hey.......can't win em' all. ;) Also, hi from Leah and Jim.

I have finally figured out the time. It's 12 hours later than EST. Time for some wine and dinner to follow.

Thanks, Pia, Donah, Wayne,,and David for your wonderfully informative posts and pictures!

We are thinking of booking the Ocean for April's Singapore- Capetown. Although we're veterans of many cruises, the longest we've done was 16 days on the Golden from New Orleans-Rio a few years back.

I've really enjoyed the detailed accounts of the shore excursions, as well as daily life on the ship. Looking forward to following along until the end of your cruise!

Thanks, Pia, Donah, Wayne,,and David for your wonderfully informative posts and pictures!

We are thinking of booking the Ocean for April's Singapore- Capetown. Although we're veterans of many cruises, the longest we've done was 16 days on the Golden from New Orleans-Rio a few years back.

I've really enjoyed the detailed accounts of the shore excursions, as well as daily life on the ship. Looking forward to following along until the end of your cruise!

We are already booked on the April sailing. Come & join us

Pia and Donna, Thanks for a very interesting review and details of your cruise. I have enjoyed it immensely. We were thinking of doing the Rome to Sydney cruise next year but have now decided to just do the Singapore to Sydney.

Waynetor. I really hope you will continue this thread from Singapore to Sydney or post on here if you are going to do a new thread for that leg of the cruise. We would really like to hear your thoughts, comments and reviews of this section of your cruise.

Thanks to all of you for this thread.

Another bright and sunny sea day; Wednesday November 9th. And, just when I thought we were finished with the clocks going forward, we get to do it again tonight. The gym was totally empty when I got there this morning, with the regulars coming in at least 15 minutes later than usual.

The morning schedule has two lectures again, "The use of the Atomic Bomb to end the War" and "Singapore: From Fishing Village to Asian Metropolis." Also this morning is a major towel folding demonstration being held in the Cabaret Lounge and the Pub lunch. The afternoon starts with the lecture "Singapore and the influence of the largely Chinese population," and is highlighted with "Danci ng with the Stripes" something I've never seen before. This is like Dancing with the Stars whereby a dancer selects a crew member as their partner for this competition.

The movie "Midnight in Paris" will be shown twice tonight on midships Deck 9. Inasmuch as we have no MUTS, I am wondering how they do this. In the theater will be the not so wonderful comic with the female name, Rikki Jay, along with the Ocean Princess showcast.

8 o'clock. Need breakfast. Bye for now.

Just to add a quick note - we've thoroughly enjoyed Jim Rowe's talks throughout the trip and the one he did today was particularly good. The afternoon 'matinee' entertainment was Dancing with the Stripes - lots of signs up around the ship urging support for the various teams, but as I didn't have a particularly good night, must admit to taking a nap instead. Sure someone will fill us in on how it went, though.

Another bright and sunny sea day; Wednesday November 9th. And, just when I thought we were finished with the clocks going forward, we get to do it again tonight. The gym was totally empty when I got there this morning, with the regulars coming in at least 15 minutes later than usual.

The morning schedule has two lectures again, "The use of the Atomic Bomb to end the War" and "Singapore: From Fishing Village to Asian Metropolis." Also this morning is a major towel folding demonstration being held in the Cabaret Lounge and the Pub lunch. The afternoon starts with the lecture "Singapore and the influence of the largely Chinese population," and is highlighted with "Danci ng with the Stripes" something I've never seen before. This is like Dancing with the Stars whereby a dancer selects a crew member as their partner for this competition.

The movie "Midnight in Paris" will be shown twice tonight on midships Deck 9. Inasmuch as we have no MUTS, I am wondering how they do this. In the theater will be the not so wonderful comic with the female name, Rikki Jay, along with the Ocean Princess showcast.

8 o'clock. Need breakfast. Bye for now.

We were on the Royal last year and they did this. They set up a projector by the pool and put out deck chairs facing the stage. There is a large white roll-down screen on the stage that they show movies on.

The movie they showed on the Royal was AWFUL (and I was the only that stayed after the beginning) but we were in the South Pacific and I loved just laying out on deck under the stars!

(Our CD was also Peter and I asked him to show a better movie another night but he wasn't interested! :rolleyes: )

We were on the Royal last year and they did this. They set up a projector by the pool and put out deck chairs facing the stage. There is a large white roll-down screen on the stage that they show movies on.

The movie they showed on the Royal was AWFUL (and I was the only that stayed after the beginning) but we were in the South Pacific and I loved just laying out on deck under the stars!

(Our CD was also Peter and I asked him to show a better movie another night but he wasn't interested! :rolleyes: )

I just looked out there. There's a canopy above the bandstand and what you said is a screen is really a large while tarp. It's windy on deck and the tarp is wiggling, so I don't know what the movie will look like. This movie however is a good one.

Archived