Extra Tipping on Silversea - Is It Routine?

nfcu

Ruby, One of my favorite tipping stories comes from 1978, Princess when it was P&O, and a beautiful red Ferrari was sitting on the dock, big red ribbon on top, for Luigi, a gorgeous blonde Italian waiter in the dining room. True story ... I saw it for myself. He must have given one heck of TERRIFIC service for that tip! ;)

One must ponder the prodigious skills and talents Luigi offered to his passengers to enable him to have a beautiful red Ferrari waiting dockside.

You have me laughing! Thanks for the story.

Ruby

I think it is naive to imagine that tipping is *always* inappropriate. If, say, you were on a World Cruise and had the same waiters, butler, suite attendant for 100+ days, wouldn't some gesture of gratitude [tip!] seem appropriate?

In any case, I always contribute to the crew welfare fund. On my most recent (fairly long) cruise, I contributed a goodly amount. I received a letter of thanks from the hotel manager and the HR director. However, the crew were apparently told of my contribution, and a number of crew members (including busboys and pool attendants whom I barely knew) came up to me to thank me for my contribution. Perhaps the crew was informed because of the amount of my contribution (during a long set of back-to-backs). I do not know how I feel about the crew knowing. I am pleased that they know that I appreciate their work -- including the work of invisible folk in the galley, engine room, laundry, etc. On the other hand, I do not want to be treated differently because of the contribution (and I do not think I was.)

One must ponder the prodigious skills and talents Luigi offered to his passengers to enable him to have a beautiful red Ferrari waiting dockside.

You have me laughing! Thanks for the story.

Ruby

"I got a million of 'em" ! Hence my CC name. I've lived long enough and traveled all my life to have collected some stellar stories. Btw, Luigi also spoon fed his "benefactor" in the dining room. :p

However, the crew were apparently told of my contribution, and a number of crew members (including busboys and pool attendants whom I barely knew) came up to me to thank me for my contribution. Perhaps the crew was informed because of the amount of my contribution (during a long set of back-to-backs). I do not know how I feel about the crew knowing.

In my experience, the crew has always been informed when a crew fund contribution is made. I've always been thanked by crew members. I don't know if the amounts are revealed.

I find it a little hard to believe that a comment on a guest comment card would be more important than some extra cash. Why not do both?

On some of the lines the staff are not supposed to take tips. If they do take or find something left for them the tip is supposed to be put into the crew fund - so doing both may not necessarily be doing both if they follow all the rules.

The problem with the crew fund is the same as any place where tips are pooled. While you may have had an excellent server/bartender, the busser and cooks may have been beyond dismal and the manager a confrontational ignoramus.

Get to know the crew and work from there. If you want to tip an individual be discrete.

As Wellseasoned said, the crew is aware of the donations to the Crew Fund. The information is posted in the crew lounge. Don't know if the amount is posted, but I expect not. We have always gotten a nice thank you note from the officer that runs the fund and crew members have thanked us as well.

On some of the lines the staff are not supposed to take tips. If they do take or find something left for them the tip is supposed to be put into the crew fund - so doing both may not necessarily be doing both if they follow all the rules.

The problem with the crew fund is the same as any place where tips are pooled. While you may have had an excellent server/bartender, the busser and cooks may have been beyond dismal and the manager a confrontational ignoramus.

Get to know the crew and work from there. If you want to tip an individual be discrete.

This is a misnomer. The crew does not get the money directly, but instead, it goes into a pool that funds their own excursions, or whatever they collectively deem necessary to their own mental health and happiness.

The existence of the Crew Fund is in no way advertised. You just have to know about it. Regent has the same thing. I know that on our last SS cruise aboard Silver Spirit in Oct/Nov. The Bar Manager thanked us for our contribution and said that it would help fund the crew Christmas party. The fund monies are also used to loan money to a crew member if they have to go on emergency leave and don't have the money to get home at the time.

The existence of the Crew Fund is in no way advertised. You just have to know about it. Regent has the same thing. I know that on our last SS cruise aboard Silver Spirit in Oct/Nov. The Bar Manager thanked us for our contribution and said that it would help fund the crew Christmas party. The fund monies are also used to loan money to a crew member if they have to go on emergency leave and don't have the money to get home at the time.

Hi Doug, just to let you know that I was on the Spirit holiday cruise and several of the crew reported to us that they had a wonderful Christmas party - there were a couple of sore heads the day after. I won't name names though. ;)

I was absolutely not aware of the Crew Fund until I read about it here. We did consider tipping a couple of the crew who had been truly outstanding during our 21 days on board, but in the end we didn't do so. We would certainly have made a contribution to the Crew Fund had we known about it.

Sorry to come so late to this discussion and I worry that I'll be called an "Ugly American" for having the audacity to hope that people who do a great job are appropriately compensated.

On a recent Silversea cruise, I raised the subject of tipping with the Hotel Manager. He made it absolutely clear that, while crew members are allowed to accept, tips were not required or expected. He also mentioned that some passengers did make donations to the crew's recreation fund, but again emphasized that there were no expectations, subtle or otherwise, in that regard.

Based on that conversation, I did (very unobtrusively) give a token of my appreciation to one crew member who had been exceptional --- even by Silversea standards.

I hope that folks will agree with earlier comments that tipping should be exceptionally rare. If it becomes routine, Silversea will probably go the Holland America route from a "no tipping" policy to one where tips are automatically added to the shipboard account.

One of the nice things about paying a premium for "all-inclusive" cruising is not being shocked by a surprisingly large shipboard account on the last evening of the cruise.

So, I asked the Silversea Info desk about tipping. Here's the brief exchange:

//////////////////////////////////////

Subject: RE: Tipping?

Date: January 16, 2012 3:05:29 PM CST

To: "CASHIPman" <aaa@bbb.com>

Hi "CASHIPman"

Thank you for your email.

Since all of your gratuities are included in your cruise fare, tips are not expected nor should they be accepted by the staff. (bolding mine)

Regards

xxxxxx

informationdesk@silversea.com

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Saturday, January 07, 2012 2:46 PM

To: Information Desk

Subject: Tipping?

Are staff on Silversea ships permitted to accept tips?

Many thanks!

CASHIPman

:rolleyes: Scotspea is absolutely on the mark. I seconded his opinion previously, and was quite disappointed to find my remarks were no longer posted on the thread.

If an expensive, all-inclusive cruise line literally instructs you not to tip, why would you? That lack of nickel-and-diming is what makes an all-inclusive line all inclusive.

Since we returned from the Spirit we have been discussing this subject, looking forward to our next cruise and what to do about tipping.

We have decided that we won't give an individual tip, but we would rather make a donation to the Crew Fund.

My reasoning for this is for example, one of the best 'departments' on the Spirit was definitely the laundry. We sent a lot of stuff down to them and the clothes were returned so pristine that they looked brand new. These are crew members that we never see, they never even get a thank you smile from the guests, and they have a tough job.

I'd prefer to make a donation and know that the behind the scenes crew are benefitting just as much as the excellent bar and restaurant staff.

I wonder if you can contribute to the Crew Fund from your on-board credit? Last cruise we left money on the books as we did not spend all of our on-board credit.

Yes you can.

Host Dan

I've never quite understood what some people don't understand about "including ... all gratuities aboard ship (except spa)"

"Cruise Fare, Fees, Credits & Payments

blank.gif

Cruise-Only Fare

Your cruise-only fare covers most shipboard services including: suite accommodation, all onboard meals and entertainment, all gratuities aboard ship (except spa) and complimentary beverages aboard ship (including select wines, champagnes and spirits)."

from http://www.silversea.com/terms-conditions/cruise-fare-fees-credits-payments/

Archived