Extra Tipping on Silversea - Is It Routine?

nfcu

After finding out about the crew welfare fund five years ago, we make a donation each week we are on board and almost always receive a thank you note from a crew representative. Being mentioned specifically in the mid-voyage evaluation or post-cruise evaluation is extremely beneficial to the persons mentioned in terms of advancement.

I fully realize I am not obligated to "tip" but that is my decision as in my humble opinion, it is the crew's attitude which keeps us returning.

After finding out about the crew welfare fund five years ago, we make a donation each week we are on board and almost always receive a thank you note from a crew representative. Being mentioned specifically in the mid-voyage evaluation or post-cruise evaluation is extremely beneficial to the persons mentioned in terms of advancement.

I fully realize I am not obligated to "tip" but that is my decision as in my humble opinion, it is the crew's attitude which keeps us returning.

Total agreement Jacko -- the crew is extraordinary and deserves recognition, both verbal and monetary to the welfare fund -- (also IMHO.....;))

This discussion is quite annoying, especially the comment from the individual who said tip often and generously. These are very expensive cruises, and Silversea is quite specific in stating that gratuities are not wanted, as they are included in the price of the cruise. I agree that it is an "ugly American" practice to overtip, and I agree especially that tipping spoils the no-tipping rule for everyone else. If you're so eager to tip, cruise on a line that expects or demands it.

Please don't fall down that slippery slope and start tipping on a no-tipping cruise line. As another cruiser mentioned, this erodes the service provided and creates false expectations and potential animosity, the same way that "tipping extra" on a mass market line erodes service and expectations and makes the crew expect money above and beyond what is acceptable.

I'm sure some of you wealthy American cruisers on Park Avenue in New York and Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills receive excellent, above and beyond, service from your plastic surgeons, but you don't generally hear how you've run out of your way to tip them.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I'm sure some of you wealthy American cruisers on Park Avenue in New York and Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills receive excellent, above and beyond, service from your plastic surgeons, but you don't generally hear how you've run out of your way to tip them.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Completely uncalled for.

Sometimes it is difficult to receive criticism from people who do not live in the country being criticized:confused: However, I must agree that many U.S. citizens ignore the customs and practices of other countries (and, in this case, the cruise line). There are many countries where tipping is not part of the culture (Tahiti, Australia and China to name a few -- although this could be changing). If visitors to the U.S. did not tip servers in restaurants, the person who carries your luggage, etc., they would not be well received by most people. IMO, tipping on Silversea, or in places where it is not the custom, is disrespectful and creates an expectation that Silversea will have to live with long after you are gone.

This discussion is quite annoying, especially the comment from the individual who said tip often and generously. These are very expensive cruises, and Silversea is quite specific in stating that gratuities are not wanted, as they are included in the price of the cruise. I agree that it is an "ugly American" practice to overtip, and I agree especially that tipping spoils the no-tipping rule for everyone else. If you're so eager to tip, cruise on a line that expects or demands it.

Hear, hear!

The original question that started this thread was whether it is routine to tip individuals

in cash at the end of the cruise to staff such as bartenders, your butler, waiter, or room steward?

I think it is fair to say that it is not routine.

My opinion:

In the end, no one taking a Silversea cruise should feel a need to tip anyone since the gratuities are included in the cruise fare.

At the same time, should someone want to tip an individual or make use of the crew fund, that is entirely up to them.

In the end, to me this is a personal decision. Yes, factors such as customs in their own country and their own personal philosophy about tipping play into this but it is a personal decision and to me there is no right or wrong on this because tipping is certainly not expected nor required on Silversea.

Keith

The original question that started this thread was whether it is routine to tip individuals

in cash at the end of the cruise to staff such as bartenders, your butler, waiter, or room steward?

I think it is fair to say that it is not routine.

My opinion:

In the end, no one taking a Silversea cruise should feel a need to tip anyone since the gratuities are included in the cruise fare.

At the same time, should someone want to tip an individual or make use of the crew fund, that is entirely up to them.

In the end, to me this is a personal decision. Yes, factors such as customs in their own country and their own personal philosophy about tipping play into this but it is a personal decision and to me there is no right or wrong on this because tipping is certainly not expected nor required on Silversea.

Keith

Well said...and let this end the thread.

This is an infuriating discussion. The cruise line specifies that tipping is not wanted; rather that it is included in the fare. "Tip early, tip often, tip generously" may be appropriate on other cruise lines, but it indeed spoils the rule for Silversea passengers. Please choose another cruise line if you want to pay extra for gratuities.

This is an infuriating discussion. The cruise line specifies that tipping is not wanted; rather that it is included in the fare. "Tip early, tip often, tip generously" may be appropriate on other cruise lines, but it indeed spoils the rule for Silversea passengers. Please choose another cruise line if you want to pay extra for gratuities.

Especially newer SS sailors, just don't get it. And it will be interesting how many Crystal veterans will be unable to adjust to their more inclusive policy. I'm thinking they will continue to tip away.

I understand the urge to tip an excellent butler, but doing so is so unfair in so many ways.

• 1 month later...

I read this thread with rapt attention prior to our recent cruise on the Shadow. We desperately didn't want to get it wrong because, as Australians, we're just not that familiar with tipping etiquette (contrary to an earlier post, many Australians travelling abroad wish to respect local custom regarding tipping).

I formed the view that we didn't need to tip at all and indeed, given the ship had an overwhelming majority of Aussies on board, I was reasonably confident there would be no "rogue" tippers.

That said, I was surprised by the number of people (mostly American and Canadian) I saw tipping the crew on the second last day of the cruise. An American woman we befriended told us she and her husband gave between USD50-150 each to their butler, room attendant, favourite bar stewards, and restaurant waiting staff. She said they tipped from the day they got on the ship and right through the cruise.

I couldn't help but think we'd got it completely wrong because whilst we commended in writing the staff who went the extra mile, we didn't tip at all.

Hi Badgerdee - I just noticed your upcoming cruises - are you sailing on the Wind Instanbul to Istanbul on the 11 July 2012 ? We are too, and I have just started a roll call thread !

Now on topic - on our last Shadow cruise we did give a small tip each to our cabin butler and steward.

I read this thread with rapt attention prior to our recent cruise on the Shadow. We desperately didn't want to get it wrong because, as Australians, we're just not that familiar with tipping etiquette (contrary to an earlier post, many Australians travelling abroad wish to respect local custom regarding tipping).

I formed the view that we didn't need to tip at all and indeed, given the ship had an overwhelming majority of Aussies on board, I was reasonably confident there would be no "rogue" tippers.

That said, I was surprised by the number of people (mostly American and Canadian) I saw tipping the crew on the second last day of the cruise. An American woman we befriended told us she and her husband gave between USD50-150 each to their butler, room attendant, favourite bar stewards, and restaurant waiting staff. She said they tipped from the day they got on the ship and right through the cruise.

I couldn't help but think we'd got it completely wrong because whilst we commended in writing the staff who went the extra mile, we didn't tip at all.

I am an American who tips occasionally on SS and I have also donated to the crew fund, however I would NEVER tip in front of another guest, ever. If one chooses to tip (and it is certainly within one's right to do so) it should be done discreetly and away from the eyes of fellow passengers.

Hi Badgerdee - I just noticed your upcoming cruises - are you sailing on the Wind Instanbul to Istanbul on the 11 July 2012 ? We are too, and I have just started a roll call thread !

Now on topic - on our last Shadow cruise we did give a small tip each to our cabin butler and steward.

D'oh! I really wanted to give our room steward a tip because he really did a great job.

Yes, we're on that cruise and have just booked and paid for our flights. Very excited. I'll mosey over to the roll call thread :)

A couple of comments:

1. What is the $ that is 'included' for tipping in our fares?

2. I don't know why I thought this, but I thought that the staff were not allowed to accept tips. Guess I was wrong.

3. I did not tip on my last ss cruise. When I saw that it was 'included' I honestly didn't give it a second thought.

4. I need to know what I"ve already paid in the 'inclusive' fare in order to determine if I would tip on our upcoming cruise in May.

5. DH and I are generous with tipping when we dine out etc...but I can't tell you how much I hate the whole concept and wish the world would do away with it and just pay their employees what they are worth. I do not understand why I have to come up with extra $$ so that the owners of restaurants,cruise lines etc, can increase their own profits by saving on wages.

6. Stepping off soap box now.

A couple of comments:

1. What is the $ that is 'included' for tipping in our fares?

2. I don't know why I thought this, but I thought that the staff were not allowed to accept tips. Guess I was wrong.

3. I did not tip on my last ss cruise. When I saw that it was 'included' I honestly didn't give it a second thought.

4. I need to know what I"ve already paid in the 'inclusive' fare in order to determine if I would tip on our upcoming cruise in May.

5. DH and I are generous with tipping when we dine out etc...but I can't tell you how much I hate the whole concept and wish the world would do away with it and just pay their employees what they are worth. I do not understand why I have to come up with extra $$ so that the owners of restaurants,cruise lines etc, can increase their own profits by saving on wages.

6. Stepping off soap box now.

I SO agree with you re: "owners ... saving on wages". My company lost a very large contract many years ago when the client decided to hire a company who would allow the contractors to take tips. I was paying $25 an hour, with benefits upon resigning a second contract. The new company paid $12.50 an hour, let them take tips, no benefits, with the promise they would make MUCH more being allowed to accept tips. Their tips never did bring their wages up to what I was paying, let alone pay for their own benefits.

But all this aside, you ABSOLUTELY do not have to tip the crew on any of the SS vessels. They absolutely do NOT expect it.

Completely agree. I give a generous donation to the crew welfare fund and that is it. Silversea advertises that gratuities are included so why question that? Do we go into the restaurant and ask for a check at the end of the meal? No, because meals are included just as the tips are.

This tipping thing is really getting me down.

Here's, hopefully, my last comment; contribute to the Crew Fund as soon as you get on.

Mention specific crew members who have provided extraordinary service on the comment cards.

Give enthusiastic thanks at all appropriate opportunities.

Try to remember individual crew's names as they help you.

Be kind and happy. Sail often.. on our still very unique and wonderful Silversea.

You did the right thing. The woman and her husband are complete JERKS.

My first adult cruise was in 1979 and, in those days, tipping was the normal routine. At times, I saw fellow passengers brag about "I got him! I got him!" meaning the pax did not tip at all. On a later cruise, a waiter told me about a couple who had sailed with him for 45 days on a Pacific Rim cruise. The night before they disembarked, they gave him $25 and thanked him for his service. He handed it back to them and said, "You need this more than I do." Umbrage on all sides. And we all know that, in Ye Olde Dayz, some few pax did not tip at all and took great pride in their Scroogery.

On my first Silversea cruise last year, on the second day, I sat on the loveseat to read my Kindle. There was faint available light - could not see the e-book screen. After talking to my butler, the next day I entered my cabin, the end table had been removed, and a floor lamp was installed beside the loveseat. If my magical butler had not solved the lighting problem, I would have never returned to Silversea.

As I walked out the cabin door to disembark, I left two envelopes on the desk. One with the butler's name and $50 in it, one with $20 for the room attendant.

In Dunedin NZ, friends took me to a really cool local restaurant for lunch. They were teasing me about being an Ugly American for tipping in the States and "Please don't do that here in NZ - you'll spoil it for everyone." We had lovely nouveau cuisine sandwiches - and it took 1.5 hours to get them served.

Ruby

My first adult cruise was in 1979 and, in those days, tipping was the normal routine. At times, I saw fellow passengers brag about "I got him! I got him!" meaning the pax did not tip at all. On a later cruise, a waiter told me about a couple who had sailed with him for 45 days on a Pacific Rim cruise. The night before they disembarked, they gave him $25 and thanked him for his service. He handed it back to them and said, "You need this more than I do." Umbrage on all sides. And we all know that, in Ye Olde Dayz, some few pax did not tip at all and took great pride in their Scroogery.

On my first Silversea cruise last year, on the second day, I sat on the loveseat to read my Kindle. There was faint available light - could not see the e-book screen. After talking to my butler, the next day I entered my cabin, the end table had been removed, and a floor lamp was installed beside the loveseat. If my magical butler had not solved the lighting problem, I would have never returned to Silversea.

As I walked out the cabin door to disembark, I left two envelopes on the desk. One with the butler's name and $50 in it, one with $20 for the room attendant.

In Dunedin NZ, friends took me to a really cool local restaurant for lunch. They were teasing me about being an Ugly American for tipping in the States and "Please don't do that here in NZ - you'll spoil it for everyone." We had lovely nouveau cuisine sandwiches - and it took 1.5 hours to get them served.

Ruby

Ruby,

One of my favorite tipping stories comes from 1978, Princess when it was P&O, and a beautiful red Ferrari was sitting on the dock, big red ribbon on top, for Luigi, a gorgeous blonde Italian waiter in the dining room. True story ... I saw it for myself. He must have given one heck of TERRIFIC service for that tip! ;)

Archived