Bad Sailing on Millenium

RoyalDiamond

I'm a little worried about my upcoming cruise. Based on some of the comments in this thread Celebrity doesn't seem like the most welcoming environment. I'm traveling solo to have a few days peace and quiet, but I also don't want to be surrounded by a bunch of judgmental passengers.

I don't enjoy shirtless drunks either, but it seems Celebrity is encouraging this type of behavior with the drink packages. Unlimited alcohol is never a good thing. It even turns people with 'class' into a bunch of animals. Anything more than a cocktail by the pool and glass of wine at dinner is too much.

And you're not being judgmental? Just saying.

I made a bottle of wine last 3 nights. Did I overdo it????:rolleyes:

I too find that a couple of bucks up front and then about every third drink gets me more service than I can use!!!

When I travel with Cil and Roger we make a point of tipping the Elite Cocktail servers every night. Whoever sits with us soon gets the idea too. We could have drinks stacked back to back if we wanted. A smile and a pleasant attitude goes a long way with the servers! It's always surprising to me that some paxs are not kinder to people who work so hard.

Now that I'm back, I have to say, I'd do it again in a heart beat! If I wasn't leaving next week on Silhouette I might just go for a b2b2b. Like Linda, less than 14 nights and I feel cheated!!

Celebrity is not smoke free. There are designated smoking areas. Not sure where you got this idea. :confused:

There was frequently smoking on the balcony upwind from us which rendered our balcony unusable. I did mention it at the front desk. Not sure if anything happened.

Sailed on the Summit in September and could not fault the crew at all, so none have been removed from her. It was 14 nights of total enjoyment..... Smoking on the balcony just down from us the first night was quickly dealt with....Came straight from HAL cruise and immediately noticed the difference in the training of the X crew, a little more professional. You get 'yahoos' on many cruises and just have to accept it, but the majority of people are just out for good, clean fun. Now I have to wait sooo long for the next cruise.....sighhhh:(

Can't comment on recent Millie problems (she was fine when I sailed on her a few years ago), but it doesn't seem that good staff are being

pulled off the older ships-- Century in December had the best food, service and entertainment of my 5 sailings with X

Hi,

I am happy to hear that. My sailing was in April, and I am afraid I did notice a difference. Not anything that would prevent me from sailing Celebrity, cannot imagine anything doing that :D, but just not up to normal standards.

Anne

• 4 weeks later...

I Hope things inprove and I read them before our Xmas and New Years cruise.

We have a group of 9 for Xmas weekend and 8 for New Years weekend. Most of them will be on Celebrity for the first time. I really have told them how we enjoy Celebrity. And hope they are not disappointed.

We were on the Millie for our honeymoon in Europe and loved it. Also on the Summit, Constilation, and Infinity. Definely my favorite class of Ship.

Will keep on reading and hoping for real good news.

Lets just hope it is because they are not use to short cruises.

Donna

Hi,

I am happy to hear that. My sailing was in April, and I am afraid I did notice a difference. Not anything that would prevent me from sailing Celebrity, cannot imagine anything doing that :D, but just not up to normal standards.

Anne

Totally agree. Was on a B2B last month. Many of the crew were brand new. I felt sorry for them since they seemed overwhelmed, and I thought there might be a lack of close supervision/training. You didn't see the =X= guys in the suits walking around much.

I thought management was lacking and things weren't quite "ship shape" like I've become used to. There were some excellent employees, though. My waiter, asst., Cova Cafe staff and room steward were great. I guess I'd have to call service inconsistent. I thought food was excellent. The Elite lounge wasn't quite up to snuff most days. They kept rotating servers so they didn't get to know the pax. Not their fault--again management. Usually, at least on other X ships I've sailed, the staff in the Elite venues is consistent and the cream of the crop.

IMO, on these shorter cruises you get what you pay for. Not bad, but not the best. Still had a great time. Would I choose Millie again? Probably not.

IMO, on these shorter cruises you get what you pay for. Not bad, but not the best. Still had a great time. Would I choose Millie again? Probably not.

The Celebrity Millennium is scheduled for her Solsticization next spring. Would you not choose her afterwards for a Panama Canal, Alaska, or Asia itinerary? Or did you mean that you wouldn't choose a short-market cruise on a Millennium-class again, since the Celebrity Constellation is doing this itinerary next winter?

The Celebrity Millennium is scheduled for her Solsticization next spring. Would you not choose her afterwards for a Panama Canal, Alaska, or Asia itinerary? Or did you mean that you wouldn't choose a short-market cruise on a Millennium-class again, since the Celebrity Constellation is doing this itinerary next winter?

The solsticization is needed but that's cosmetic. As I said, IMO there are management issues (including properly training new crew). I love Connie, both before and after the solsticization. One can feel excellent management from the top down on Connie. I don't see why shorter cruises should change things, but who knows? There are other ships and, yes, I'd avoid Millie until I was convinced that major changes have taken place. Just me...

We got off the Millie 2 weeks ago (Our first Celebrity cruise).

We had a wonderful cruise.....the food was great, the waiters were unbelievably good,probably the best of any cruise line we've sailed!

In fact, we were on select dining, but asked to be seated with the same waiters every night!!

The cabin steward was almost invisible, but the room was spotless, the ice bucket always full!

We had a small problem with OBC, but Guest services fixed it in an efficient and friendly way, and even followed up the next day to see if all was OK.

We didn't enjoy the shows much, but shows, like food, are subjective.

I wouldn't hesitate to cruise on the Millie again!!!

I was the same sailing as the OP. I had an extremely relaxing several days. I'm not a mega double diamond elite traveler as many on this thread. I'd booked that October trip as a last minute trip to burn thru vacation days before end of year. That was just my 4th cruise.

From my perspective, I had not had a vacation in well over a year. I'm in an industry that many "occupying" are protesting ...I avg many many hours /week. Co workers getting laid off weekly. Many over night work hours. My stress level and needing vacation was thru the roof. In fact my last conference call was hours prior to boarding. I was so looking forward to "no cell ..no Internet " for 5 days. In fact the first 2 days all I really did was sleep. ( hate I missed the slot pull!!).. I actually was able to read several books by the pool. I also met some delightful people, both staff and passengers.

My experience with celebrity was fine. The staff was extremely responsive. The real only disconnect for me was the select dining in MDR so I just chose to eat on deck 10 rest of the cruise. (after 'always' dressing up for work.. The last thing I was in mood for was to dress up for supper every night).

I think my thoughts here is that I'm grateful. I'm grateful to have the opportunity to be able to afford to take an occasional trip on what I consider a nice line. I'm grateful that I still have a job, have good health. I'm grateful that I was able to volunteer at the charlotte food bank this week and donate my time and meals for those where "a" hot meal is a luxury. so when I read thru cruise critic and see swirl of comments of slightest minutia on things that "could have been better". I just shake my head at the contrast.

On Saturday after thanksgiving I'm boarding the Eclipse with some friends for a planned trip in honor of my 50th birthday. I expect some things to go well, I expect some things could be better. I'll still have fun. I'm not sure when I'll be back on another ship, I want to make the best of the experience.

What's my point here? I suppose that Even if this is my

Last opportunity sailing or just one more of many more. I hope that I cherish the good in the experience, laugh a bunch, and meet some wonderful people along the way..

Happy Thanksgiving everybody.

We were on the Millennium for the October 31 and November 5 sailings. Here is the link to my review:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=91722

10 glorious nights, and not one minute of discontent! We have booked another Celebrity cruise for April 2012 and will cancel the Holland America April 2012 cruise that we booked last year.

We were on the Millennium for the October 31 and November 5 sailings. Here is the link to my review:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=91722

10 glorious nights, and not one minute of discontent! We have booked another Celebrity cruise for April 2012 and will cancel the Holland America April 2012 cruise that we booked last year.

Wonderful review. THANKS for posting it as it somehow got past me. It's really very nice that you mentioned the staff by name. I'm sure corporate read the reviews here on Cruise Critic and it gets back to the ship. Looking forward to getting on her next Monday for my B2B.

The solsticization is needed but that's cosmetic. As I said, IMO there are management issues (including properly training new crew). I love Connie, both before and after the solsticization. One can feel excellent management from the top down on Connie. I don't see why shorter cruises should change things, but who knows? There are other ships and, yes, I'd avoid Millie until I was convinced that major changes have taken place. Just me...

Many of the reviews coming off the Celebrity Millennium in the first month of her new role in short-market cruises seem to indicate she had a large turn over in crew just after her Panama Canal cruise ended in Miami. This may account for some of the issues in service and management. That and the fact that the crew may not have been used to short cruises and the repeated turnovers, as well as some of the atypical demographics attracted to her first short cruises.

It now appears that she and her crew seem to be hitting their stride and are settling into a more routine Celebrity-style of service. This of course with the exception of a couple of issues including Matt's sailing and the disasterous way the Maitre D handled the reassignment of those already confirmed late dinner seat into early because of a large group onboard.

I am sure all the issues will work themselves out. The Celebrity Century seemed to have a very successful season last winter doing these cruises out of Miami. I'm willing to bet corporate heard some of the grumbling and paid a visit to the ship.

And next year when Celebrity Constellation takes over this role hopefully I'll be on board her too. I want to try a couple of the M-class before graduating to the Solstice-class for my 2013 cruise. :)

Nice post NCRay. I especially love this part:

I think my thoughts here is that I'm grateful. I'm grateful to have the opportunity to be able to afford to take an occasional trip on what I consider a nice line. I'm grateful that I still have a job, have good health. I'm grateful that I was able to volunteer at the charlotte food bank this week and donate my time and meals for those where "a" hot meal is a luxury. so when I read thru cruise critic and see swirl of comments of slightest minutia on things that "could have been better". I just shake my head at the contrast.

Archived