Your thoughts on Alaska Airlines

TSUmom

Looks like we will be booking our Hawaii flight through Alaska Airlines, sounds sort of funny to me. We have always flown american but the cost of their 1st class flight is over $2000 pp one way!!! With Alaska we can both fly for well under $4000. We will have a short stop in Seattle and it is an early morning flight out of DFW as opposed to Amer flying straight from DFW to HNL. Any downside to Alaska's 1st class? As I have stated we have only ever flown with American so I have nothing to compare to. Thank you for any thoughts or opinions.

I fly nothing but Alaska (unless I have to).

Is there ever any downside to being up front? :D

Well, there maybe if only minor. Alaska's entire fleet is 737's. The food will be good. The drinks will be free. The service will be excellent. I "believe" since you are First Class, you can use their Board Room in Seattle and the AA lounge at DFW.

Downside, if any, is that their entertainment devices are what they call Digi Players. They are kinda like portable DVD players except they have a hard drive mounted in them. They have TV episodes loaded in them, about 6 movies, some first run, some old,,, then of course music, music videos, Hawaii videos and Alaska videos.

You will get lounge access in Seattle, not DFW.

You'll also get personal entertainment devices ("dig-e-players") in first class, and about the same legroom as you'd get on an AA 757, but not as much as on an AA 767 (such as DFW-HNL.)

But you're right, the price is very good compared to other carriers. I think you'll like Alaska's service and facilities. Also don't forget that you'll earn full AA miles when flying on Alaska - if you put your AA FF numbers into the reservation (plus 50% bonus miles for first class.)

Alaska it is - more money to spend on my trip!!! I did not know I could earn AA miles - thanks for that info gardyloo!!! These boards are such a great help - so much information is available!!! Thanks to all!:D

Loved my flights in FC with AS..They are one of the few airlines that will let you upgrade on day of flight to FC with just a small fee..I always book coach and try to be at the airport early and this option has been available a few times for me..a great deal.

Looks like we will be booking our Hawaii flight through Alaska Airlines, sounds sort of funny to me. We have always flown american but the cost of their 1st class flight is over $2000 pp one way!!! With Alaska we can both fly for well under $4000. We will have a short stop in Seattle and it is an early morning flight out of DFW as opposed to Amer flying straight from DFW to HNL. Any downside to Alaska's 1st class? As I have stated we have only ever flown with American so I have nothing to compare to. Thank you for any thoughts or opinions.

Sign up for an Alaska Airlines credit card. Every year you get a $99 companion certificate. Buy one (such as DFW-SEA-HNL in F) ticket, and the 2nd one (at the same fareclass) is only $99

AS' first class is nicely done, without being stupidly pampered. You're addressed by name, given nice but not overwhelming food etc

Sign up for an Alaska Airlines credit card. Every year you get a $99 companion certificate. Buy one (such as DFW-SEA-HNL in F) ticket, and the 2nd one (at the same fareclass) is only $99

Excellent value, but most likely it sounds like the OP already bought the ticket. Plus, applying for the credit card, waiting for approval, then waiting for the companion certificate to come could take at least a couple of weeks, if not longer. Good advice for "next time."

Excellent value, but most likely it sounds like the OP already bought the ticket. Plus, applying for the credit card, waiting for approval, then waiting for the companion certificate to come could take at least a couple of weeks, if not longer. Good advice for "next time."

Yes but first class tickets are fully refundable and unlikely to sell out anytime soon. Even if ticketed, the OP could apply for the credit card, wait for everything to get processed, then when the $99 cert is approved, just cancel the existing reservations and re-book using the companion certificate. It could be an easy $1500 or so savings, IMO worth the effort. Plus you'll get whatever sign-up bonus is being offered, usually 25,000 miles, redeemable on Alaska or any of its partners (American, Delta, BA, Air France, KLM, Cathay Pacific, Lan, Icelandic, Korean....)

Us Alaskans that live up here generally really like Alaska Airlines, and yes, we do have other choices. Most know that the way to go is to get an Alaska Airlines Signature credit card, which comes with many perks as previously stated in this thread. I've found good service, and good travel on Alaska, and I'm another repeat customer now. It's my 1st choice whenever I can.

Thank you all for the suggestion on the cc. I have not yet booked as our dates will not be available until this weekend. I have now decided to go with Alaska Air, thank you for helping me with this decision, I know it is the right choice now!!!

I fly AS whenever possible. They have an all-737 fleet and the versions used on Hawaii routes are newer aircraft. Their flights generally run on time or even leave a few minutes early. I've never seen an employee copping a bad attitude and several times they have gone "above and beyond" even though I'm not a preferred or full-fare passenger.

Thank you all - I booked my flight yesterday and was sure to use my Amer FF#. I can say that I am very happy with this decsion and greatly appreciate all of the input from ya'll here at cruisecritic!!! Many thanks!!:D

Archived