NCL Pricing

johnsak123

What is the deal with NCL and their pricing

Wanted to book cruise this christmas. I called NCl and they told me the price for the cabin i wanted was higher than I received from Amex and the OBC promotion was over. They also kept quoting me a category I didnt ask for.

Called Amex who put me on hold and called NCl adn got the cabin at a small(and I mean) small discount as well as an OBC.

Why does NCL do that.

BTW they also just raised their prices a hundred bucks on the cabin

I know christmas/ new year is a popular time but I feel NCL is ripping off its customers. The cabins are more than double normal pricing

Any thoughts on how to get the best bang for your buck when booking

Peace!!

JS

Cruise ship pricing is much like airline pricing....ok...not quite as bad. Supply and demand. I do my own shopping by monitoring the NCL ships' prices. When I find a price and room I like, I call my TA with the info, give the specifics (makes her job really easy), and have her book it for me. She then gives me a small OBC. Occasionally NCL has told her the room I wanted isn't available, even though it is shown as open on their web site. In that case I book it through the NCL web site and have NCL transfer the booking over to the TA. A bit of confusion sometimes at NCL and their relationships with TAs. And yes...prices do seem to have gone up lately. My next cruise in a couple of weeks, and the one after that, have already gone up about $500 for the rooms since I booked them.

Wanted to book cruise this christmas. I called NCl and they told me the price for the cabin i wanted was higher than I received from Amex and the OBC promotion was over. They also kept quoting me a category I didnt ask for.

Called Amex who put me on hold and called NCl adn got the cabin at a small(and I mean) small discount as well as an OBC.

Why does NCL do that.

I know christmas/ new year is a popular time but I feel NCL is ripping off its customers. The cabins are more than double normal pricing

Peace!!

JS

It's called business and making a profit. No one is getting "ripped off".

We booked our New Year's Eve Cruise for 2009/2010 a year in advance and still spent double the usual rate. This is a very POPULAR time to cruise. The ship is fully booked plus. That being said, if there happens to be any empty cabins this close to the holiday season, they will go for a substantial rate. There are passengers that wait last minute that will pay virtually anything to get on that ship. The holidays are an amazing time to sail. As far as New Year's Eve is concerned, a cruise ship is definately the place to be. Be prepared to spend the extra cash if cruising during the holiday season is your desire, there is no way around it!

Why does NCL do that.

Peace!!

JS

Don't have a clue but my guess is AMEX was running some kind of a group rate. They absolutely can not discount nor can NCL charge more...Our upcoming cruise is offering a bottle of wine and a $100 OBC because they set a group up a year or so ago with NCL, but this doesn't cover every catagory. NCL isn't ripping you off.

Nita

I see they only have to match.

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=BestPriceGuarantee

However, it is dependent on you first booking.

Howard

I had the same expereance when i was trying to book. I booked thru TA who gave me 100$ less pp then NCL was giving. It was 3 weeks ago and also for christmas cruise. I have noticed that price went up yesterday also. Not sure about amex booking. the OBC could be amex related they seem to run their own promotions too.

If you do not like the prices, then do not book that sailing.

It isn't a rip off. Prices always will fluctuate. If you book a cruise at $500/pp and get a $50 OBC and someone else books the room for $550 and no OBC, it is technically the same price. Go into this knowing what you are comfortable spending and keep your eyes peeled for a deal that works for you. Booking a popular time also means that you get what is left when you are only several weeks out. Many people will book over a year in advance.

I was just annoyed that NCL had different and higher pirce than Amex

And they didnt offer me an OBC while Amex did.

I think NCl should offer the best price

NCL does not offer discount pricing though TA's but you can usually get a small discount if paying via AMEX or with AARP or military pricing. We usually book during sales that offer OBC's for a little something extra for us.

That being said, cruises during holiday seasons or school vacation time is normally higher than at other times. If you see a price you like, on the ship you want for the date you want, then grab it. If it goes up then you did great. If it goes down before final payment due then typically you can get an adjustment.

Good luck and have fun cruising during the holidays!

I was just annoyed that NCL had different and higher pirce than Amex

And they didnt offer me an OBC while Amex did.

I think NCl should offer the best price

AMEX is big on advertising that they can get their members better prices, better tickets, etc. on entertainment and travel. This is a HUGE part of their marketing. The people they work with (from Broadway theaters to concert promotors to cruise operators) receive compensation from AMEX in order for AMEX to be able to offer their members "perks" that no one else can get.

Personally, I've been able to use my AMEX to get some great Broadway show tickets for things that were otherwise packed full. NCL is playing fair...they have contractual obligations to AMEX.

Don't have a clue but my guess is AMEX was running some kind of a group rate. They absolutely can not discount nor can NCL charge more...Our upcoming cruise is offering a bottle of wine and a $100 OBC because they set a group up a year or so ago with NCL, but this doesn't cover every catagory. NCL isn't ripping you off.

Nita

This is completely false. A simple 5-minute search of cruise pricing across a variety of online travel sites will usually result in MANY prices lower than what NCL.com offers and usually will include onboard credit too!

Their "Best Price Guarantee" isn't worth anything either. I was tricked into believing it and then after I booked and showed them that I found a price from a major travel site that was $140 less per person, they refused to match. I told them to change my booking over to that other travel site and it took 4 business days to complete, but it finally happened. I will never book directly with NCL again - they are being idiots to not match other sites' prices. If I book through another site or a travel agent, NCL has to pay them commission, whereas if I book directly, they save more money. Oh well, learned my lesson!

As long as you trust the travel agent or site you're booking through, never book directly through NCL if you want the best price/offer!

As long as you trust the travel agent or site you're booking through, never book directly through NCL if you want the best price/offer!

and that isnt always TRUE either....shop around--for my cruise coming up NCL had the BEST price available.

Did you contact NCL within 48 hours of booking the cabin? The price guarantee is only valid for 48 hours once you book.

Their "Best Price Guarantee" isn't worth anything either. I was tricked into believing it and then after I booked and showed them that I found a price from a major travel site that was $140 less per person, they refused to match. I told them to change my booking over to that other travel site and it took 4 business days to complete, but it finally happened. I will never book directly with NCL again - they are being idiots to not match other sites' prices. If I book through another site or a travel agent, NCL has to pay them commission, whereas if I book directly, they save more money. Oh well, learned my lesson!

I have never booked a cruise through NCL.com, and have always found a better deal elsewhere. I check NCL every time I book, because I would rather book with them as far as ease, contact, etc. But, like I said, I have never found them to be the same price or lower. If you put in a little time online, you will always find a better deal somewhere else. At least I always have.

BTW, a "Best Price Guarantee" is pretty much worthless if all they do is 'match' the other offer. Why would I go through the hassle of calling NCL, have to sit on the phone (or wait for a call back) as they confirm the other price, and then get the same deal I had 2 hours ago? I just book the original cheaper offer. In comparison, I booked a really nice hotel in New Orleans that gives a 20% discount if you find a better rate. I did, their customer service was terrific in finding the deal, and I ended up getting the room for 40% cheaper than I would have on their website. Now that is the way to treat customers.

That is true and it is stated in the Price Guarantee FAQS, they don't match travel agency rates, it has to be a lower advertised NCL price.

I saw a lower price at a travel agency, why can't I get it?

From time to time an agency will negotiate a special price for a group or for a special promotion. The terms of this offer require that the price be a lower publicly advertised NCL price.

YEP! Their excuse was it was a travel agony promotion they didn't honor. Which, DUH, that's why their pricing was so much lower!

Archived