Chef's Table

wrg11

Does anyone know how much this costs? Also, do you think it could accommodate my Gluten Free diet since I have Celiac Disease? Thanks!

I believe Chef's Table now charges $95pp. It is made VERY clear that if you can't eat what the chef has decided to cook for the event, you are out of luck.

Hi Clmom

Do not know where you did your chefs table but have done a few,

have requested certain dishes be added as some folks did do eat fish,

no problem,

also had folks that had a food issues can not recall what .

great care was taken to ensure there food was ust how they required it,

now can not say if princess still offer this level of service, and might well be down to the chef and matrie d

As for the OP put your name down and then have a word with the matrie d you have nothing to lose

yours Shogun

We've done 3 Chef's Tables and they always ask if you have any allergies or dietary restrictions (we don't). In fact if I remember correctly, we actually had to fill out a questionnaire/release form. Excluding something probably wouldn't be a problem but I'm not sure about offering alternatives. Hope it works out for you.

it will be interesting to see the replies. From my understanding all the requests are pooled and then picked. I am thinking it would be difficult to cook different for one than the other nine people. I won't have your heart set on it as there are generally more requests than spaces

Do not know where you did your chefs table but have done a few ...had folks that had a food issues ...can not recall what-- great care was taken

/quote]

Ditto - a member of our 'table' had a nut allergy . The Chef personally spoke to her prior to that course being served to assure her version (a salad?) was nut-free.

I'm sorry, but I think requesting "alternatives" spoils the whole point of the Chef's Table. This is the Executive Chef and head Pastry Chef's opportunity to really show you what they can do and they put a lot of thought and effort into the menu to make it cohesive and complimentary. I understand allergies etc are a barrier, but in that case, perhaps this event is just not for you. IMO if you're not eating the dinner as the chef intended it's no longer the Chef's Table.

I'm sorry, but I think requesting "alternatives" spoils the whole point of the Chef's Table. This is the Executive Chef and head Pastry Chef's opportunity to really show you what they can do and they put a lot of thought and effort into the menu to make it cohesive and complimentary. I understand allergies etc are a barrier, but in that case, perhaps this event is just not for you. IMO if you're not eating the dinner as the chef intended it's no longer the Chef's Table.

Agree totally.

We did the Chefs table on our last Carnival cruise and after we were confirmed for the seating, the Exec Chef came to our table the night before and went over dress code (shoes were an issue for some of the ladies) and asked us about any food concerns (we have none) and I asked him what he would have done if we hadn't come to the main dining room and he explained a note would have been left in our room with instructions to call the Purser's Desk and they would give that info to the kitchen. Not sure if this is Ships policy or that particular Chefs policy. We had a fantastic time and would do it again

My experience on 4 of them is that they all have a very similar menu including just a few different entree selections. So it's not like the chef goes to the market to find the freshest ingredients to make the meal. There's not that much variety & just like in the MDR they should be able to accomodate food restrictions but don't know what types. My experience has been those selected for a CT are those who book earliest.

OP... I'd suggest booking as soon as you get onboard by calling the DINE line which has worked each time for me. If they can accomodate your dietary limitatations it's a great experience. I've been to 4 of them but since increasing the price over 25% to $95, it's not in our future. At $150/couple it was expensive...for $190/couple more than a MDR meal it's not worth it to us but something the OP should enjoy tremendously...GOOD LUCK! :D

My experience on 4 of them is that they all have a very similar menu including just a few different entree selections. So it's not like the chef goes to the market to find the freshest ingredients to make the meal. There's not that much variety & just like in the MDR they should be able to accomodate food restrictions but don't know what types. My experience has been those selected for a CT are those who book earliest.

We've done the Chef's table on the Ruby, Caribbean and Crown (all within the last 1.5yrs) and they were all very different. And very amazing!

Exactly right. If you want a special dinner with your own dietary requirements Ultimate Balcony Dining might be a better option. They are happy to make substitutions.

We've done the Chef's table on the Ruby, Caribbean and Crown (all within the last 1.5yrs) and they were all very different. And very amazing!

We've done 4 in the past 2 years on the Golden, Star & Sapphire & entree has either been veal shanks & tenderloin or a great surf and turf but not the trio of flaming meats. These are the only 3 entrees I know about but there could be others. Besides that it's always been risotto, sorbet & either baked camembert or gorgonzola on walnut bread. The desserts have been different each time but not much else.

I don't understand why anyone would get upset if a course was modified for health reasons without affecting the basic menu. They have done that previously without affecting others experience so would still highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't enjoyed a Chef's Table.

They definitely cater to food allergies, but gluten free may be a challenge, as some of the recipes simply cannot be easily modified for that and the preparation at table would make it hard to avoid cross contamination if you are that sensitive.

Alternative items are possible of course, but by necessity they would have to use standard menu items I would think, which defeats the purpose of the exercise (using the menu we had, the following items would not work (2 of the 4 hors d'ourves, the baked camembert, the dessert, the petit-fours). You probably would be ok with the Risotto, main course and sorbet other than cross-con concerns, but of course you want to check).

I would speak with the MD or exec chef BEFORE booking, the MD should be avail on embarkation day and can talk to the Chef.

I think the original Chef's TAble were at the discretion of the chef and that he did try to get off the ship to purchase specialties but now I think the menu is set by head office. I saY this because menus seem the same on all ships. Theyu are still special and worth trying at least once.

We haven't done it on Princess but did it on Carnival in Jan. It was really great and yes they did have really nice dishes for me. I am gluten free, alcohol, fish and kiwi free. They were very good and my meal was wonderful. The chef actually said that it gave him a challange and made it interesting for him as the other things were pretty well set. I can't wait to do iit on Princess in Jan with my husband and in Oct with my daughter.

tigercat

OP... I'd suggest booking as soon as you get onboard by calling the DINE line which has worked each time for me. If they can accomodate your dietary limitatations it's a great experience. I've been to 4 of them but since increasing the price over 25% to $95, it's not in our future. At $150/couple it was expensive...for $190/couple more than a MDR meal it's not worth it to us but something the OP should enjoy tremendously...GOOD LUCK! :D

It's now $95? That is expensive. Especially when you consider that you already paid somewhere around $20 for the normal meal that you are not eating. It’s like the real cost is $115 per person.

I've done the Chef's Table three times. The biggest variation has been in the hors d'oeuvres selection served in the galley. I've had lobster risotto twice as an appetizer, bloody mary sorbet three times, and trio of beef, veal, and pork tenderloin on Medieval spiked flambe roaster all three times.

At one of my Chef's Tables, a passenger did not eat seafood. The chef made a couple of special hors d'oeuvres for him without seafood. He skipped the risotto (did not get a special one without the lobster), and was fine for the rest of the courses.

Archived