luggage locks

d1cso4

We are sailing on the Eclipse on 11/26/11..we were wondering about luggage locks ? i heard one argument that leave them off in case that tsa or customs wants to inspect the luggage or just lock it it up in case..Thanks

Buy a set of TSA locks. If they want to inspect your luggage and you don't have TSA locks they will cut the locks off. Realistically, locks just keep the honest people out - no locks tempt the honest people. :rolleyes:

Hi D1cso4,

There are TSA Approved Locks out there (might not be the ones that came with your luggage)... you lock them... and if TSA has to get into your baggage to do a visual inspection, they have a key (actually it is a special device) that can open up the locks (kind of like a master key). Then when they are done they leave a note in your suitcase that they were inside it... and then lock it back up again.

We plan to use these types of locks on our upcoming trip... so at least our bags will be secure when out of Custom's hands.

Statistically, they say that most bags are rummaged thru (items stolen) by Airport Baggage Handlers / Port Personnel / and other folks who lug them around.

At least with a lock in place there is some thing in place to discourage that (the "bad guys" are more likely to head to the bags that they can easily access with no locks).

And of course, the GOLDEN RULE of Travel here applies as well... don't leave your street smarts at home... be sure and don't put anything in your suitcase worth stealing to begin with... all valuables (passports & visas, money, travellers cheques, credit cards, jewellery, electronics and medications etc) should be in your possesion (carry on, purse, wallet etc) at all times.

Cheers!

TSA locks are for flying...and you don't even NEED them for that....any good lock will do.

YES...LOCK YOUR BAGS when they are out of your possession!!!! Don't use those "ties"...get a good lock...ours are Master Locks with keys...you can buy a bunch that the same key operates.

And, yes,, carry on anything of value, including meds, if you have them!!!!!

Personally I feel that locks on suitcases are generally are useless and provide a false sense of security. If the suitcase has a zipper, the zipper (locked or not) can be pried open easily in a second or two (i.e. it does not take any longer to pry open the zipper of a locked suitcase than it does to unzip an unlocked suitcase). One should never ever pack valuables in checked luggage. Always keep valuables (sentimental and monetary) in your carry on baggage or leave them at home. Do not be lulled into believing that because your suitcase is locked that it is less likely to be stolen from or that it is now OK to place valuables inside.

YES...LOCK YOUR BAGS when they are out of your possession!!!! Don't use those "ties"...get a good lock...ours are Master Locks with keys...you can buy a bunch that the same key operates.

It makes zero difference if it is a cable tie or a $1,000 lock. You can't lock the entire length of the zipper. The zipper can very easily be pried open in one to two seconds with a variety of everyday objects (pen, scissors, pocket knife, screwdriver etc.). It is like locking an envelope you send in the mail. It makes no difference how fancy or expensive the lock, you can still tear open the envelope. A lock on a suitcase should simply be viewed as a decoration.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what security you use on your luggage:rolleyes: if someone wants to get in it they will :mad: without you even knowing. A paper clip will open most small padlocks ;)

This, as well as other posts here, are all accurate. The point of a lock is to cause a thief to simply move on to the next target which is unlocked. You cannot secure a suitcase. The TSA locks are a good idea though. The last thing you want to do is annoy anyone who has the power to do an...ahem...intrusive search :)

This, as well as other posts here, are all accurate. The point of a lock is to cause a thief to simply move on to the next target which is unlocked. You cannot secure a suitcase. The TSA locks are a good idea though. The last thing you want to do is annoy anyone who has the power to do an...ahem...intrusive search :)

The other side of this argument is that luggage with locks imply there is something of value inside, making them more attractive to thieves. Same can be said for very expensive luggage, which implies that the owner has money and what is inside is probably of higher quality, and also more valuable, than in typical luggage.

The most likely place a thief can open you luggage is while it is being handled in warehouse areas where we have no access to. If the luggage is locked and they can't open it quickly, all they have to do is "accidentally" misplace it in a hidden, out of the way location so they can get into it at their convenience at a later time.

I never lock my luggage. I use the plastic ties to keep the zipper from accidentally opening and spilling the contents.

Watch this video to see how easy it is to open, and close, luggage that uses zippers, all in just a few seconds and without a trace of damage or tampering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf-DGKUNffI

We usually don't bother locking our suitcases (except in Asia where it was required) but do put a bright luggage strap around our checked bags. I have seen some bags on the carousel that have blown their zipper and the handlers have stuffed everything in a plastic bag. Another time the zipper must have blown on the way to the carousel because when it came down the chute all the clothes tumbled free and the owners were chasing the bag as it went around trying to pick up underwear etc:eek:

If you are flying from a US airport you can use TSA locks. You probably shouldn't use them if you are flying out of another country as they will likely get cut off.

I always lock any luggage that I will not be carrying onto the ship.

If you are flying from a US airport you can use TSA locks. You probably shouldn't use them if you are flying out of another country as they will likely get cut off.

I always lock any luggage that I will not be carrying onto the ship.

I use TSA locks and I fly from a Canadian airport and I go through US Customs (or whatever they are called) at the Calgary airport. I haven't had my TSA locks cut yet but when I still used other locks, I did have them cut off with a writtem advice placed in my suitcase that my suitcase had been searched. All of my goods and chattels remained intact.

We are sailing on the Eclipse on 11/26/11..we were wondering about luggage locks ? i heard one argument that leave them off in case that tsa or customs wants to inspect the luggage or just lock it it up in case..Thanks

We don't bother with them. If they want to check our bags, have at it.:D

I use TSA locks and I fly from a Canadian airport and I go through US Customs (or whatever they are called) at the Calgary airport. I haven't had my TSA locks cut yet but when I still used other locks, I did have them cut off with a writtem advice placed in my suitcase that my suitcase had been searched. All of my goods and chattels remained intact.

TO TINKERBELLCGY,

Indeed here in Canada the larger airports have a situation where you go thru US Customs Pre-Clearanc (and they infact are real US Customs Officials)... and YES they will cut off any NON-TSA Approved Locks (and leave you a note) as you have discovered if they want to / need to see inside your bags.

Otherwise when flying domestically in Canada... I`ve never encountered a problem, no matter what locks I used. TSA ones and CATSA Security could get in if they needed to (although that has never happened to my knowledge) and NON-TSA Locks and they tend to put your bags aside and have you open them for them if need be when you go thru Canadian Customs.

Lol... such a civilized way to travel, n'est pas ?

Cheers!

From a FAQ at the CATSA web site:

"Passengers are permitted to lock their baggage on flights departing Canadian airports.

Please note TSA approved locks are permitted, however unlike the United States, the screening officers at Canadian airports do not have a key to unlock the TSA approved lock. If checked baggage warrants further screening, CATSA applies the reconciliation rule, where possible. As such, when a checked baggage is required to be physically searched, screening officers will most likely not search it without the authorization of the passenger.

In no circumstances are screening officers authorized to break a lock. They will generally work with the air carrier to request the passenger witness the search. Please note that if unable to locate the passenger, an air carrier representative may decide to break the lock to allow the screening to proceed. CATSA notifications are always placed in passengers' checked baggage once a search is completed. All locks will be fine for traveling within Canada and internationally."

So while CATSA will not cut the locks the airline might.

Archived