Dream missed Roatan today (Again)

Ace5614

It looks like the Dream missed Roatan again today. I thought the problem was solved when Carnival rearranged the order of stops. Valor made it in fine (Again). We will be leaving on the Dream in 10 days and I know that Carnival reserves the right to change at anytime but wish they would either fix the problem or change their itinerary. Thanks for letting me vent!

09/26/2010 CARNIVAL PRIDE

01/04/2009 COSTA FORTUNA

11/09/2008 CARNIVAL LEGEND

10/20/2007 CARNIVAL GLORY

10/28/2006 CARNIVAL TRIUMPH

12/05/2004 CARNIVAL MIRACLE

10/29/2000 PARADISE

10/01/1998 TROPICALE

01/17/1997 ECSTASY

09/29/1995 ECSTASY

....and I know that Carnival reserves the right to change at anytime but wish they would either fix the problem or change their itinerary.

You would think, but I don't think they do until it gets out of hand. We were involved with book the Carnival Destiny in early 2010, when 1 of the propellers wouldn't work and caused it to sail slower than 20 knots. The itinerary was changed week after week, but Carnival was still advertising the original one.

It was so bad that people were updating the Carnival Destiny Wiki page with all of its problems, and other people (maybe Carnival) kept erasing it!

I belive the Dream's western itinerary includes the ports of: Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize, and Roatan. If Roatan is a constant problem, why don't they eliminate Roatan and pick up Grand Cayman? Since GC is a tender port...the size of the ship shouldn't be a problem.

We were on the Dream and couldn't get in due to the high winds BUT we were very lucky and Coxen Hole was available and we docked there.

We also docked at Coxen Hole last summer on the Dream. Carnival had actually flipped Belize and Roatan several months before the cruise...probably because of the availability of dock space.

I haven't paid a lot of attention, but I know this is an on-going problem for the Dream.

It looks like the Dream missed Roatan again today. I thought the problem was solved when Carnival rearranged the order of stops. Valor made it in fine (Again). We will be leaving on the Dream in 10 days and I know that Carnival reserves the right to change at anytime but wish they would either fix the problem or change their itinerary. Thanks for letting me vent!

09/26/2010 CARNIVAL PRIDE

01/04/2009 COSTA FORTUNA

11/09/2008 CARNIVAL LEGEND

10/20/2007 CARNIVAL GLORY

10/28/2006 CARNIVAL TRIUMPH

12/05/2004 CARNIVAL MIRACLE

10/29/2000 PARADISE

10/01/1998 TROPICALE

01/17/1997 ECSTASY

09/29/1995 ECSTASY

Hey Ace, are you on the 11/26 sailing? We have a great roll call going and lots of fun folks! I hope we are able to get into port whether it be Mahoghany Bay or Coxen Hole - its the one port we have never been to.

I can't imagine what conditions it takes to not be able to dock. We sailed the week of October 15, 2011 and got in with 50 knot winds and 0 visibility because of the rain. We couldn't get off immediately, and then after letting folks off for about an hour they pulled up the gangway and repositioned the ship further in to the last dock as another Carnival ship was waiting off shore to come in. All shore excursions were cancelled but I did see folks on the zipline and ski lift all day.

I can't imagine what conditions it takes to not be able to dock. We sailed the week of October 15, 2011 and got in with 50 knot winds and 0 visibility because of the rain. We couldn't get off immediately, and then after letting folks off for about an hour they pulled up the gangway and repositioned the ship further in to the last dock as another Carnival ship was waiting off shore to come in. All shore excursions were cancelled but I did see folks on the zipline and ski lift all day.

From what I understand, it's not just winds, it's the direction those winds hit the ship.

I was on the cruise in question and the wind was apx 22 knots and the limit they will go in was 18 knots. The captain tried twice and gave up, two other ships did dock after us and the wind died down apx 1 hr after we tried but we still went on a sea day.

They should eliminate the port since they have missed it so many times, it was one of the reasons we took this trip and wish we could have gone but safety is first. Just wish the captain had waited a little longer.

Mike

Were they calling for windy conditions and then for the wind to subside? I don't know the answer nor being snarky. If the captain would have waited the hour and left and then another hour after than the wind died down, would you be saying the same thing? What about 15 minutes longer? I guess my point is (and this depends on the forecast), how long should the captain wait?

I was on this same cruise and very bummed since it is the one port DH and I haven't been to yet...guess we never will at this point. It is a bummer and I think that Carnival should change the itinerary to something else if they have such a terrible time with docking there.

I was on the cruise in question and the wind was apx 22 knots and the limit they will go in was 18 knots. The captain tried twice and gave up, two other ships did dock after us and the wind died down apx 1 hr after we tried but we still went on a sea day.

They should eliminate the port since they have missed it so many times, it was one of the reasons we took this trip and wish we could have gone but safety is first. Just wish the captain had waited a little longer.

Mike

Interesting since you can only dock 2 ships at a time in MBCC, how were they expecting to get the Dream in then 2 other ships? If you're referring to Celebrity's Millenium being able to also dock at Coxen Hole, there's only space for 1 ship there and as the Millenium was previously scheduled for Coxen Hole it had first priority there. Remember too that if the Dream is the first of 2 ships into MBCC, it often has to wait for the second ship to leave before it can sail out of the narrow channel. I would assume the Valor was docking then leaving later than the Dream, but I don't have the itineraries. You may grumble but ship's safety, not passengers' excursions are the Captain's primary concern. Carnival does lose $$ when it doesn't dock in MBCC and has to pay more $$ when it docks in Coxen Hole, unscheduled. Those asking for Grand Cayman, forget it's long record as a missed port due to windy conditions.

Archived