camera question

pablo312

My wife and I are in the process of buying a digital point and shoot camera for our Alaska trip next summer. I'm concerned about buying a camera that has an LCD display and no viewfinder. From talking to people who own digitial P&S cameras, the LCD display gets completely washed out in sunlight. I noticed this problem when I used my cell phone as a camera on a recent vacation.

I've also read on the Web that having a camera with a viewfinder may not be the solution. The view finder will always indicate that the camera is in focus when that is not true. I can understand that because that could happen with film P&S cameras, but usually auto-focus minimized that occurence. I don't know how effective the auto-focus is on digital P&S cameras.

I don't want to buy and use DSLR camera for vacation. Many, many years ago, I used an SLR camera on vacation. While I got great pictures, it was a big hassle dealing with the camera. I want a P&S camera. To still be able to take pictures in sunlight, should I get a P&S camera with a view finder in addition to the LCD display or are there cameras with LCD displays that don't get washed out in sunlight? Does anyone know of camera that has an LCD display that does not wash out in the sunlight?

You advice and opinions will be greatly appreciated.

When I was deciding on a camera I chatted with the guys on the CC camera forum--they give great advice and I am very happy with the camera that I purchased--Sony Cybershot DSC-HX5V. The screen does wash out occasionally but is a minor problem compared to the benefits of the camera.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1447519

This is one of the threads and others are mentioned in it.

When I was deciding on a camera I chatted with the guys on the CC camera forum--they give great advice and I am very happy with the camera that I purchased--Sony Cybershot DSC-HX5V. The screen does wash out occasionally but is a minor problem compared to the benefits of the camera.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1447519

This is one of the threads and others are mentioned in it.

I too want to buy a new camera for the Mr. & my upcoming July 2012 Alaskan Cruise. I'll have to "pick these guys brains"! Thanks for the tip!

I bought a Nikon Coolpix P80 in 2009 before my first cruise to Alaska. I wanted a good P&S camera with a viewfinder option because of the "washed out" problems using just the display on my other P&S cameras. Also, I wanted a good optical zoom. This camera has produced excellent pictures and videos. Even with my amateur photography skills, I've been amazed at the clarity and color it produces in "auto" mode. Nikon has upgraded the P80 since 2009 so if you're looking for a reasonably affordable P&S with lots of bells and whistles that produces great pictures, I'd highly recommend testing the Nikon Coolpix.

Thank you for responding to my post and directing me to the Camera Board. I got some great advice over there. I thnk I'm going to buy a Canon A1200. It has an optical viewfinder, USB port, and uses AA batteries. It got good reviews on CNET. It only costs around $100. After many years of using film cameras, this will be a good starter digital camera. I may eventually buy a superzoom P&S like the Nikon P80, Canon SX30 or SX40. If I do,l the A1200 will be a good backup camera for my Alaskan trip.

Buy the best P&S superzoom, focus in IQ, IMHO the only time LCD glare will be a problem will be when the sun is directly behind you late in the day and you are shooting with the sun, how often doe that happen?

When one uses the phone the screen is almost always pointed up and the lighting always straight down and why the frustration level higher. With picture taking you rarely have that situation in the extreme.

• 3 weeks later...

If you're looking for a camera where the LCD doesn't "fade out" due to sunlight I would also recommend looking for a camera that is made so the LCD screen can be moved & angled. I just purchased the Fujifilm HS20EXR which has the newest technology. It has great reviews and it's a pretty neat camera. In comparison to a DSLR this one has many of the features and it is about half of the price :)

IMO you really should think twice about the DSLR. I took both last year to Alaska and there is no comparison in the quality of the pictures. Yiu need to be aware that you need a really good zoom because most of the picture you want to take are going to be pretty far away, especially wildlife shots.

Archived