What's the penalty for tagging a cruise ship?

Maybe the person was the graphic designer for NCLs Pride Of America...not saying there is anything wrong with the graphic designs on NCL ships...just saying...

You mean NCL actually PAYS someone to make their ships look like that?:eek::D

According to Radio, who did a "Live from Explorer" thread, the offender was disciplined. The following (in red, below) is from his post on this thread. post #706

Originally Posted by psupa

I would love to know what happened to the culprits. I can't believe no one saw this happening especially since the ships aft end was facing the pier. How would you get up there without climbing. I still say can't fix stupid.

The scuttle on the ship was they were released in San Juan. . .

Radio

Thanks for posting this. I was on the Silhouette also and saw this when returning to the ship. At that time, an Explorer of the Seas officer had gotten on the phone and was yelling to someone.

I believe it was a totally ignorant thing to do. One does not deface another's property even if the stuff just peels off. The fact that it was dangerous also plays into the stupidity of the action. It wouldn't be taken so lightly if a crew member was hurt or killed while removing these names.

Good to hear that they were put off the ship. We were waiting for them to place luggage out on the pier at St Maarten!

Oh my, I cannot believe somebody did that. with the names around their balcony, it would not take Sherlock Holmes to deduce the perpetrators. If it is paint or if it left a stain, the penalty might be significant...

Well I'm sure someone has already says this.... but, could they be that stupid to put their real names on the graffiti. It's a simple case of finding out who the idiots are, what cabin, and their identity. First, they have to clean it off but, seeing where it is, might be difficult and risky for RCI, (what if they fall), second, a very stiff fine for defacing property and last, banned from any RCI cruise, or, if possible, ANY cruise line.

It looks like the sprayon soap that kids can use in the bathtub. If it is it rinses off and leaves the surface cleaner than it was before it went on. As far as risking their necks- kids have been doing that forever- anyone cruised to Alaska and seen the cliff with names and schools painted all over it dating back many many years? Hardly a new thing for kids to be doing. I've seen painted names and dates on cliffs dating back a hundred years and more. In places that look a lot more dangerous to get to then hanging onto a balcony. I'm not condoning it, but let's get some perspective here. Unless it is real paint in which case walking the plank does seem like a fitting punishment.

The idea that people would deface a beautiful ship that so many have paid a lot of money to be on is just infuriating and sad. I don't think they should be fed to the sharks, but I am glad to hear there were some consequences for their actions. Sure it could be looked at as a harmless bit of fun, but it could also be an encouragement to others who think this kind of "graffiti" earns them some sort of cool points to attempt the same. I like my crew focusing on more important ship duties and not having to worry about scrubbing pointless names of the ship.

I spent the first 30 years of my life trying to get out of a place where graffiti was a common neighborhood occurance: on walls, in hallways, on subways. It is really a degrading way of life. So it really tees me off when anybody defaces such a beautiful thing as an RCI ship in any way, whether permanent or not. It seems people that do things like this don't really appreciate what they have in life. Let people who would love to take a cruise but can't afford it trade places with them You will not see this same type of loutish behavior out of them I can guarantee it.

Can't see how anybody can defend such behavior in any way. I go on vacation to get away from crap like this.

Can't see how anybody can defend such behavior in any way. I go on vacation to get away from crap like this.

Not sure that anyone is actually defending the behavior as much as saying that perhaps being locked away for life for it might be over reacting.

What about the rules about climbing balconies as well? Think there is something in the guest conduct policy about that. Seems impossible to be able to paint all those names while NOT hanging over the side of the balcony railing.

That's was my first thought also.

The 2nd was.....it just reinforces the fact that cruise lines are going out of their way to appeal to the masses to sell out their ships.

It's all part of the "Wal-Martization" of the cruise industry.

I spent the first 30 years of my life trying to get out of a place where graffiti was a common neighborhood occurance: on walls, in hallways, on subways. It is really a degrading way of life. So it really tees me off when anybody defaces such a beautiful thing as an RCI ship in any way, whether permanent or not. It seems people that do things like this don't really appreciate what they have in life. Let people who would love to take a cruise but can't afford it trade places with them You will not see this same type of loutish behavior out of them I can guarantee it.

And now those same people are taking cruises.........go figure. Anything to sell out a cruise.

Couldn't agree more!

Oh.... Ok....:rolleyes:

:):):)

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

I spent the first 30 years of my life trying to get out of a place where graffiti was a common neighborhood occurrence: on walls, in hallways, on subways. It is really a degrading way of life. So it really tees me off when anybody defaces such a beautiful thing as an RCI ship in any way, whether permanent or not. It seems people that do things like this don't really appreciate what they have in life. Let people who would love to take a cruise but can't afford it trade places with them You will not see this same type of loutish behavior out of them I can guarantee it.

Maybe a bitout of left field but I believe tattoos are the self defacement of the individual as graffiti is the defacement of public property.

Wherever you go you get the "privilege" of looking at peoples inked up bodies including on cruise ships.

Many will say, its beautiful and I have the right to do so. I agree with the 2nd part.

Can't decide which would upset me more if my late teens committed it, graffiti or personal defacement with a tattoo.

BTW, don't people realize after a decade or so this body art looks like a big smudge?

(climbing off soapbox now.)

Graffitit and tattoos are 180 degrees apart. There is nothing wrong with doing "art" on yourself or property. There is something wrong with Graffiti when it's put on someone else's property. Thats called property damage. Also, they should be banned from RCCL for risking their lives and the safety of the crew should they have fallen overboard by climbing on balcony guardrails. Can you imagine the feeling one of them would have if they fell overboard and looked up and it hit them "This! just for my name on a wall" pretty damn stupid.

Archived