What's the penalty for tagging a cruise ship?

why do people wait till the last minute?

To entertain people with balconies on the pier side? Really. We always make a point to get back in time to get to the railing and watch for runners. One of the other little perks of having balcony. :D

Tape idea sounds good. I thought the widths of the lettering strokes was a little too even to be done by hand leaning out and over the side.

Even if removable it is just plain tacky to deface an elegant looking ship that way. Some people get a little too exuberant over a cruise to think things through. Just a hunch but thinking it was unsupervised kids aiming to mark their cabin to see from shore (maybe with just an X) and it grew into names.

Judging by the bright colors it's looks like finger paint or that foam stuff you spray on and peel off. Highly doubt it's spray paint or anything permanent.

I think it was tape and I saw a person applying it, but I cannot recall if it was as we were heading for St Maarten or upon our return.

OK, I'll bite. I think it was easily removable chalk which may have been written on tape.

Aren't these comments a little over the top? "Of all the dumb, stupid, moronic things I have seen on a ship, I think this takes the cake :rolleyes:

Yes it is dumb, stupid and moronic but I have seen worse and frankly it made me laugh and shake my head.

I believe a lot of you had the same reaction or the picture wouldn't have been reposted multiple times.

I'm betting it all came off, probably by the perpetrators , with a single damp facecloth.

I could be wrong but so could everyone else who posted "lets beat them to a pulp" posts.

Bet it was easier to clean then vomit on the carpet that I have seen so many times caused by too many DOD's

Again, I don't support vandalism but a little perspective please. (And if it actually caused damage, the taggers should pay for all repairs)

Flame away.

Aren't these comments a little over the top? "Of all the dumb, stupid, moronic things I have seen on a ship, I think this takes the cake :rolleyes:

Yes it is dumb, stupid and moronic but I have seen worse and frankly it made me laugh and shake my head.

I believe a lot of you had the same reaction or the picture wouldn't have been reposted multiple times.

Bigger than the dumb, stupid, and moronic comments, how about dangerous. I am not sure the person would have survived a fall. And with our lawsuit crazy society, you could bet there would be lawyers involved claiming unsafe balconies and wrongful death.

Hope they weren't from New Jersey, but since it was the Explorer...

Thanks for perpetuating the stereotype, kids!

:(

HMMMM!! Wonder where Snooki & The Situation were on the afternoon

of the 14th????:D

Bigger than the dumb, stupid, and moronic comments, how about dangerous. I am not sure the person would have survived a fall. And with our lawsuit crazy society, you could bet there would be lawyers involved claiming unsafe balconies and wrongful death.

That was my first thought. So stupid and reckless and dangerous.

OK, I'll bite. I think it was easily removable chalk which may have been written on tape.

I'm betting it all came off, probably by the perpetrators , with a single damp facecloth.

I could be wrong but so could everyone else who posted "lets beat them to a pulp" posts.

Bet it was easier to clean then vomit on the carpet that I have seen so many times caused by too many DOD's

Again, I don't support vandalism but a little perspective please. (And if it actually caused damage, the taggers should pay for all repairs)

Flame away.

Good post. Thumbs up.

It's more entertaining to assume facts so here is my addition. Boat came out of NJ (I think). I heard Snooki did this with her friends but fell overboard before she got to put her name up. They removed the names later to cover the incident up.

:D

I'd say it's just plain tacky. Biggest problem I see is that there are a lot of "monkey see, monkey do" folks out there. Based on the comments that it was cleaned up quickly, I assume it wasn't permanent. But the next person who tries it could hurt themselves, put crew at risk cleaning it up, and use material that's not so easily removable.

Curiosity is killing me, though. Would love to know what RCI did about it...

Who on here knows for a fact how this was applied? If it was a magnetic sign how does that differ from people hanging home made banners from their balcony? Not condoning it but there are some unknowns that need to be answered before I agree to string someone up.

Who on here knows for a fact how this was applied? If it was a magnetic sign how does that differ from people hanging home made banners from their balcony? Not condoning it but there are some unknowns that need to be answered before I agree to string someone up.

Both are equally tacky.

It doesn't look like magnetic signage, the edges are too irregular (I suppose they COULD be hand cut). The most likely substance would be puffy paint. It could be a static cling type, but they would not stick too well.

As far as penalty, I would imagine the cost of cleanup at the very least.

Now, what is the area above that? Unless at night, you would think someone looking down might have noticed...

Hey! I have this cabin booked for my Explorer cruise summer '12 (1388). Maybe I should pack some liquid chalk!:p

Seriously.....the perpetrators certainly planned ahead to do this. How else would they have the materials to do it? I would bet that teenagers were the culprits.

But would you not agree that one would have to get themselves into a fairly precarious position in order to place anything in the location that we see? And considering the height of a balcony I really can't imagine someone bringing a magnetic sign of that size aboard.

It doesn't look like magnetic signage, the edges are too irregular (I suppose they COULD be hand cut). The most likely substance would be puffy paint. It could be a static cling type, but they would not stick too well.

As far as penalty, I would imagine the cost of cleanup at the very least.

Now, what is the area above that? Unless at night, you would think someone looking down might have noticed...

See my post, #36, on page two.

But would you not agree that one would have to get themselves into a fairly precarious position in order to place anything in the location that we see? And considering the height of a balcony I really can't imagine someone bringing a magnetic sign of that size aboard.

I agree. I could care less what material was used to place that crap on the ship. Somone had to stand on the railing or something to place it up there. Hopefully RCI was able to put whoever it was off the ship at the next port of call and ban them for life.

Agree but the original post and most of the others are not about someone putting themselves at risk it was about the sign, painting, foam, etc. Like I said I don't condone it and I don't like seeing the banners hung on the balcony either.

Archived