Celebrity Alcohol Packages

tanelicus

People who have gotten this. Is it worth it? I figure at roughly $400 pp, you would need to drink at least ten a day (yikes) to make it worth the price.

What is the usual cost of lets say a mixed drink (mojito/gin and tonic) and domestic beer?

Thanks for your help!

People who have gotten this. Is it worth it? I figure at roughly $400 pp, you would need to drink at least ten a day (yikes) to make it worth the price.

What is the usual cost of lets say a mixed drink (mojito/gin and tonic) and domestic beer?

Thanks for your help!

Yes, but remember that you get bottled water (we each drank 2 big ones each day), coffee, wine with dinner, etc. besides the alcohol. We got our money's worth.

Have fun!:D

Yes, but remember that you get bottled water (we each drank 2 big ones each day), coffee, wine with dinner, etc. besides the alcohol. We got our money's worth.

Hi Tanelicus,

Indeed IDAHO BAKER makes a good point... the Beverage Packages cover a lot more than just booze. If you use the STICKY that PROJECT-GAL referenced above, you see a basic listing, and do some of the math for yourself.

Considering ALL the items and what each costs in addition to alcoholic beverages, Mr Sloop and I figure that we can make the packages worthwhile if we have as little as 3 or 4 hard Drinks a day (and being on vacation I don't see that as much booze... a beer with lunch, and 2 glasses of wine with dinner... ) making up the balance in Fresh Juice - Bottled Water - Pop / Soft Drinks - Specialty Coffees & Teas (such as Cappaccino or Earl Grey)

Priced out individually... beverages (be they regular or alcoholic) can really add up on a cruise ship

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Exactly right! I had the package on our Eclipse Baltic cruise, and one day spent more than the daily cost of the package entirely on non-alcoholic drinks (love the lattes).

Although I love parking my seat on a Molecular bar stool, I wouldn't have gotten the premium package if it didn't include the specialty coffees and bottled water and canned diet soda. I'm telling you I got addicted to the Cafe il Bacio and those espresso's w/ a little pastry. I was addicted and BUZZING!

Just curious...how do they keep track of the drink card? Whats to prevent me having a drink card and letting my travel companion using it.

Or, what prevents one person getting two or more drinks at a time.

Wondering how the drink card REALLY works. Thanks.

Just curious...how do they keep track of the drink card? Whats to prevent me having a drink card and letting my travel companion using it.

Or, what prevents one person getting two or more drinks at a time.

Wondering how the drink card REALLY works. Thanks.

Firstly, it is not allowed to share the beverage package.

All drinks you order are entered into the ship's POS system and appear on your sea pass account, they just do not have any charges associated with them. So, they would be able to see that you are regularly ordering two drinks within minutes of each other. You can only order one drink at a time (at least that is the rule, but most bartenders will allow you a drink and a shot in one order). If you get caught cheating, they cancel the beverage package and you do not get any type of refund.

I am sure people find ways to sneak drinks to others that do not have a beverage package. It is like many other things people do like sneaking alcohol on the ship.

However, I hope people trying to skirt the rules do not ruin it for all. I would hate for Celebrity to recind the beverage package offerings due to people not following the rules.

...Whats to prevent me having a drink card and letting my travel companion using it

Or, what prevents one person getting two or more drinks at a time...

The beverage package policy prohibits sharing of the package as the packages are sold for one persons use only. If you didn't understand that then my answer is finished. But if you did know that and are considering sharing the package anyways then read on:

How about honesty and integrity?

If that doesn't work then how about having the package privileges suspended or even being thrown off the ship if you are caught stealing this way.

In other words the things preventing the type of theft you are asking about are the same sort of things that keep most of us from going into a store and shoplifting. The store may or may not have good controls and security but for most of us that just doesn't matter because shoplifting and stealing doesn't even enter into our minds.

Oh...and for your second question: With the drink packages you are allowed to get only one drink at a time.

I was just wondering... I certainly wouldn't be one to do this.

My other question is - what if I want to buy a drink for someone? (You know....as a social gesture) Do I buy it separately from my drink card??

You can certainly buy beverages outside of your beverage package. Your beverage package is associated with your sea pass card. Just tell the bartender that one drink is on your package and the other drink you are paying for....he will charge it accordingly to your sea pass account.

You can also put monies onto another person's sea pass account that would allow them to buy drinks (or whatever) as well.

We had the full drinks package on our last cruise and it was fab we are not drinkers at home but do enjoy a drink on holiday so we would have a couple of nice coffees in the morning a bottle of water each to take with us if we was going off the ship then some wine or coke etc with lunch and then a glass by the pool in the afternoon then wine with our dinner in the evening then a few sprits in the evening and the joy of not having to worry ourselves to how much we was or had spent was great and it improved the cruise for us.

Whatever you decide enjoy your holiday :)

Not once did we ever consider being naughty and trying to share the card we was on holiday and wanted to enjoy ourselves after all thats what holidays are for so bought one package each.

Thanks for your help!

Hi Tenelicus we were on Infinity a few weeks ago through the Panama Canal and had purchased the premium drinks package prior to sailing, it is very conveinient especially in the restaurants where you can have white wine with your starters and red withe the main course and as many glasses as you want. However when we checked our print out at home we certainly didn't get our monies worth, it takes one heck of a lot of drinking to do that! We were surprised though to see that a couple of the bars (bars that we had only used on odd occasions) had booked a lot of drinks that we had certainly not had, they must have recorded our details and used them to inflate their gratuities, it was no problem to us but it wants watching.

The other thing to watch is that there were some new staff on board who were obviously on a learning curve and they booked the drinks to our account which we picked up on the television in our rooms, it took quite a bit of nattering customer services to get it sorted and deducted of our acc. I think that they must have issued a blanket instruction to all staff as after the first four days all seemed to be ok but just keep an eye on it.

All in all though as others have said it is just great to order specialty coffees just when you like or any other drink for that matter we will probably get the classic package on our next cruise.

Whatever you decide on i am sure you will enjoy it!!

Cheers!! the Gardener

• 1 month later...

We had the premium drink packages and definitely thought they were worth it. We enjoyed Pop, water, coffees, teas, wine and lots of frozen drinks. we liked the convenience and not worrying about a bar bill at the end of the cruise. We are cruising Royal in 8 weeks wondering what a 3 night cruise bar bill will look like. We are also looking into a 2013 Southern Carribean cruise and really want to go Celebrity partly because of the drink package.:)

Thanks for your help!

I agree. No way could I drink my way to break even for X's alcohol packages. I did purchase a 7 bottle somletter's package for a 15 day cruise, which worked out fairly well.

Latte $5.00

Wine w/lunch* $10.00

Afternoon drink $5.00

Afternoon pop $2.00

Martini before dinner $10.00

Wine w/dinner* $10.00

Water w/dinner $4.00

After dinner drink $10.00

Total $56.00

Premium drink package is $54.00 per day

*using $10.00 as average glass of wine

I'll admit I have more than one afternoon drink and when using the drink package I can enjoy premium brand liquor instead of bar pour. Without the drink package I would drink free water at dinner, but with the package we drink bottled Evian or Pellagrino, we also like to keep a bottle of water in the room next to the bed. After dinner drink would be a port, cognac or chocolate martini. I admit, if you don't like martinis or drinks other than wine with dinner, the package probably isn't a good idea.

We live in S FL, so usually bring our own case of water and soda. So we thought long and hard about the drink package. But we finally went for it and intend to use it the the hilt.

San Peregrino instead of tap water, a shot of liquor in all coffee and teas, the Italian coffee (not the house brand), Top shelf liquor and a glass of wine to match each course. I'm hoping they have coconut water in the Aqua spa. And we may finally reach our goal of having a drink in every bar onboard. lol.

I really wish they had this on Oasis/Allure. :rolleyes:

Although I love parking my seat on a Molecular bar stool, I wouldn't have gotten the premium package if it didn't include the specialty coffees and bottled water and canned diet soda. I'm telling you I got addicted to the Cafe il Bacio and those espresso's w/ a little pastry. I was addicted and BUZZING!

Absolutely. When I see that RCCL was offering some drink packages in Europe but it was not including any nonalcoholic drinks (and for the same price to boot!) it made it clear I would never buy it. It's nice to be able to order whatever I want and not always have to drink liquor if I don't want it. For example I would never order pop on a cruise but it's nice to have one with lunch every once in a while, or fresh squeezed juice for breakfast, and Evian whenever I want it.

We just got around to tallying our liquor receipts from our first Celebrity cruise. We didn't buy it even though we kicked it around. I was very surprised that we were way under the amount. Our bar tab was $374 and we bought 3 bottles of wine that totaled $140. I know we didn't hold back....I was really surprised it was that low, especially since many drinks were at the Mole bar. :D

I'm torn about this too. The most I'll have is a glass of wine per day, my mom also. Not big drinkers. But her and I are both big coffee drinkers-and I won't drink the yuck coffee only the Italian! However, we're in a suite so in suite cappuccino and specialty coffee is unlimited.

Son, 1 year will need a few bottled waters a day for his bottles. Daughter, 5, will have 2-3 juices a day, waters, and shirley temples at dinner (i have no doubt!). Thing with the kids is you know, they ask for a juice, sip half of it and then throw it out...then an hour later they want another.

Hubby likes fine wine and high end alcohol on vaca. I've seen him spend $15-20 per glass on fine wines occasionally. Him and my dad will each probably have 3-4 drinks per day.

Latte $5.00

Wine w/lunch* $10.00

Afternoon drink $5.00

Afternoon pop $2.00

Martini before dinner $10.00

Wine w/dinner* $10.00

Water w/dinner $4.00

After dinner drink $10.00

Total $56.00

Premium drink package is $54.00 per day

*using $10.00 as average glass of wine

I'll admit I have more than one afternoon drink and when using the drink package I can enjoy premium brand liquor instead of bar pour. Without the drink package I would drink free water at dinner, but with the package we drink bottled Evian or Pellagrino, we also like to keep a bottle of water in the room next to the bed. After dinner drink would be a port, cognac or chocolate martini. I admit, if you don't like martinis or drinks other than wine with dinner, the package probably isn't a good idea.

Also, it is not a good idea if you don't buy bottled water, specialty coffee, or soda pop. My alcohol average includes an occasional beer before dinner, one or two glasses of wine during dinner and perhaps one drink after dinner. Each to their own.

Found out that we get 2 bottles of water per day and fresh squeezed juices with our Aqua Class room. That really tipped the scales to passing on the package. I will have a high bill on days at sea but probably only a glass of wine on the port days.

I'm torn about this too. The most I'll have is a glass of wine per day, my mom also. Not big drinkers. But her and I are both big coffee drinkers-and I won't drink the yuck coffee only the Italian! However, we're in a suite so in suite cappuccino and specialty coffee is unlimited.

Son, 1 year will need a few bottled waters a day for his bottles. Daughter, 5, will have 2-3 juices a day, waters, and shirley temples at dinner (i have no doubt!). Thing with the kids is you know, they ask for a juice, sip half of it and then throw it out...then an hour later they want another.

Hubby likes fine wine and high end alcohol on vaca. I've seen him spend $15-20 per glass on fine wines occasionally. Him and my dad will each probably have 3-4 drinks per day.

You could choose the premium nonalcoholic for you and Mom, that way you can enjoy a wide variety of coffees, water, soda, etc. The butler will bring you cappucinos for free, it any unorder at the cafe or any restaurant are not included.

if DH likes high end wine, then I'd skip the.beverage package. most wines by the glass are more middle of the road. We found plenty of options to our liking, but we aren't normally big wine drinkers.

Here are the detailed specifics from our mid-June 2011 cruise on the Solstice from a menu/pricing card that I borrowed from the Sunset/Oceanview area:

BEERS: At $4.50 each (plus the added 15% service charge), it is Bud Light, Budweiser, Coors Light and Miller Lite; at $5.00 (which goes to $5.75 with tip), there is Amstel Light, Beck’s, Corona, Corona Light, Leffe Blonde, Heineken, Heineken Light, O’Doul’s (NA), Red Stripe and Samuel Adams; at $6.00 (which goes to $6.90 with tip), it is Bohemia, Grolsch, Guinness, Stella Artois, Newcastle Brown Ale and Peroni.

RED WINES: At $5.50 each, Cabernet Sauvignon/Pinotage “Basket Pressed” Heron’s Nest, Stellenbosch; at $6.50 each, Tempranillo, Marques de la Concordia, Crianza, Rioja; at $7.50 each Cabernet Sauvignon “Heritage” Wente Estates, Livermore; at $8.00 each, Merlot, Rutherford Ranch, Napa Valley and Shiraz “The Barossa” Peter Lehmann, Barossa Valley; at $8.50 each, Chianti Classico Riserva Tenuta di Nozzole, Tuscany and Pinot Noir, Kendall Jackson, “Vintner’s Reserve”.

WHITE WINES: At $5.50 each, Viognier, Maison Paul Jaboulet Aine, Rhone Valley; at $6.00 each, Riesling “Kabinett” Selbach-Oster, Mosel; at $6.50 each, Sauvignon Blanc, Southern Right, Walker Bay; at $7.50 each, Pino Grigio, Bollini, Trentino; at $8.00 each, Chardonnay, St. Francis, Sonoma; at $8.50 each, Pouilly Fume “La Moynerie” Michel Redde, Loire Valley.

ROSE-BLUSH: At $5.50 each, White Zinfandel, Beringer, North Coast; at $6.50 each, Rose de Provence, Jean-Lux Colombo.

The $8 glass of wine goes to $9.20 with tip added. A $6.50 wine goes to $7.48 with tip.

NON-ALCOHOLIC: At $2.50 each, it is Evian, Pellegrino and Perrier smaller-sized; at $3.00 each, they offer Arizona Premium Iced Tea, Green Tea, Lemon Tea, Peach Tea and Diet Lemon; at $4.00 each, they had Strawberry Banana Soda, Peach Sangria, large Evian and Pellegrino, Sparkling Mint Lemonade and Watermelon Tropic; at $5.00 each, it is Red Bull, regular and sugar-free. They also offer various Coca-Cola soft drinks, but those prices were not listed on this card.

As noted, if you have a port-intense cruise, you might find it harder to get your money's worth with some of the packages. As they say on TV ads with the disclaimer "mileage maybe vary", so it does depending on each person's personal needs, travel style and budget.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 54,182 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Archived