Rhapsody Of The Seas dry dock

bowie123

I just found this thread....unfortunately to late. I received a call on Monday, March 12 from RCCL, my aft corner, 8088 for June 8 has been reassigned and I've been reassigned to the cabin next door...I booked this cabin August 22, 2011! Today I called C&A and got the same run around you all have gotten, then a call back with $200 OBC....I'm sooo unhappy. The ONLY reason I booked this cruise was because of this cabin. Having sailed on the Rhapsody several other times (and twice in this cabin) I was so excited. I've been to Alaska twice before, so it was the cabin, not the itinerary that drew me! RCCL told me that someone else was in my cabin, and when I suggested that they MOVE the new people, I was told that "two wrongs don't make a right". I'm Diamond Plus, been a long time RCCL cruiser and am about to jump ship. I'm very, very disappointed in their "Resolution" of this problem. If I do decide to continue on the cruise, I hope I can be civil to the new corner neighbors....geez!

Any ideas out there on what I can do?

I just found this thread....unfortunately to late. I received a call on Monday, March 12 from RCCL, my aft corner, 8088 for June 8 has been reassigned and I've been reassigned to the cabin next door...I booked this cabin August 22, 2011! Today I called C&A and got the same run around you all have gotten, then a call back with $200 OBC....I'm sooo unhappy. The ONLY reason I booked this cruise was because of this cabin. Having sailed on the Rhapsody several other times (and twice in this cabin) I was so excited. I've been to Alaska twice before, so it was the cabin, not the itinerary that drew me! RCCL told me that someone else was in my cabin, and when I suggested that they MOVE the new people, I was told that "two wrongs don't make a right". I'm Diamond Plus, been a long time RCCL cruiser and am about to jump ship. I'm very, very disappointed in their "Resolution" of this problem. If I do decide to continue on the cruise, I hope I can be civil to the new corner neighbors....geez!

Email the president of the company. agoldstein@rccl.com. Tell him succinctly of your disappointment and that a gilb, clichéd response avoids the real issue, which is a failure to manage the transition to new cabin numbers. Somebody either fell asleep at the wheel or simply did not consider that many people choose their cabins carefully. Either way, it is unconscionable that the company chooses not to resolve the situation in favor of the passenger who booked first.

It is not "wrong" to call the second booker and admit to an error. In other cultures it would be considered honorable. Sadly, RCI has chosen the low road.

You will likely not the a response from him. I received a call from somebody who was "reaching out" to me (we got our cabin back, but I had emailed in support of those who did not). That person said that "not many people lost their cabins.". That is not the point. I'm sure that everybody was relocated and that only those of us whose cabins hadn't been double booked got them back.

Good luck, and please let us know the result.

From one Diamond-Plus to another, fist let me say I'm sorry that you were not able to get your cabin back, either. RCI has admitted their error, but only after having their collective face shoved in it.

And I may also have a problem being civil to the new corner neighbors. The way I look at it, they saw an open corner aft, and jumped on it. Like most of us would have. But I like to think that when RCI called me, and explained what had happened, I would have agreed to accept an aft cabin switch.

At any rate, its water under the bridge. We did consider cancellation, but had naturally purchased airfare, being less than 3 months out. We also considered switching to Princess for the nearly identical itinerary. But that cruise leaves on Sunday, and was significantly higher than this cruise, due to the late booking, and ticket change fees from the airlines. And we would not have had a corner aft balcony there, either. Or even an aft balcony, for that matter.

As far as what you can do, unfortunately,the answer is: Not Much. RCI is unwilling to do the right thing in this case, and advise the new occupants there was a mistake. So you can take them up on the $200 on board credit, and enjoy your cruise, or cancel. I've come to the conclusion that RCI doesn't care, one way or the other.

From one Diamond-Plus to another, fist let me say I'm sorry that you were not able to get your cabin back, either. RCI has admitted their error, but only after having their collective face shoved in it.

And I may also have a problem being civil to the new corner neighbors. The way I look at it, they saw an open corner aft, and jumped on it. Like most of us would have. But I like to think that when RCI called me, and explained what had happened, I would have agreed to accept an aft cabin switch.

At any rate, its water under the bridge. We did consider cancellation, but had naturally purchased airfare, being less than 3 months out. We also considered switching to Princess for the nearly identical itinerary. But that cruise leaves on Sunday, and was significantly higher than this cruise, due to the late booking, and ticket change fees from the airlines. And we would not have had a corner aft balcony there, either. Or even an aft balcony, for that matter.

As far as what you can do, unfortunately,the answer is: Not Much. RCI is unwilling to do the right thing in this case, and advise the new occupants there was a mistake. So you can take them up on the $200 on board credit, and enjoy your cruise, or cancel. I've come to the conclusion that RCI doesn't care, one way or the other.

I don't think that's the last person who will post here .... With the same story as us .... !!!

I am so glad I read this thread....I just got back from Mariner and booked 6-7-13 Alaska cruise....when booking I booked 8588....thought it was a corner wrap aft....I looked a the new deck plans and of course it is no longer a corner aft....Luckily for me I was able to change it to 8596 the "new" corner aft!!! I was also told that in the future the corner afts will be reserved for quads!

I am so glad I read this thread....I just got back from Mariner and booked 6-7-13 Alaska cruise....when booking I booked 8588....thought it was a corner wrap aft....I looked a the new deck plans and of course it is no longer a corner aft....Luckily for me I was able to change it to 8596 the "new" corner aft!!! I was also told that in the future the corner afts will be reserved for quads!

A rep told me the corner afts have a sofa bed but most of the JS's do now. She said not true about requiring triples or quads in the corner AFT's.

Two days ago I tried to book corner AFT 1700 Indy, was told triples or quads only. I called back, another rep booked it, no problem.

Once again, who knows? As you said, maybe so in the future.

I feel very sorry for all the Rhapsody AFTers who will arrive at the port to first find out they have been displaced. The only reason I know is from reading CC boards, but many people don't. What a way to start a cruise--

Linda

A rep told me the corner afts have a sofa bed but most of the JS's do now. She said not true about requiring triples or quads in the corner AFT's.

Two days ago I tried to book corner AFT 1700 Indy, was told triples or quads only. I called back, another rep booked it, no problem.

Once again, who knows? As you said, maybe so in the future.

I feel very sorry for all the Rhapsody AFTers who will arrive at the port to first find out they have been displaced. The only reason I know is from reading CC boards, but many people don't. What a way to start a cruise--

Linda

Agreed. It wohld be a horrible way to start a cruise. I cant imagine walking onboard, sky high thinking I had a corner aft cabin, a prime viewing location for an Alaskan cruise, only to find out there was a "mistake."

Unfortunatly, that very scenario will start playing out on a weekly basis, in about 10 days. And those affected will have NO recourse. I really feel for the hotel director, and purser who will take the brunt of the passenger's anger.

Agreed. It wohld be a horrible way to start a cruise. I cant imagine walking onboard, sky high thinking I had a corner aft cabin, a prime viewing location for an Alaskan cruise, only to find out there was a "mistake."

Unfortunatly, that very scenario will start playing out on a weekly basis, in about 10 days. And those affected will have NO recourse. I really feel for the hotel director, and purser who will take the brunt of the passenger's anger.

Bill--

I was reading your posts on another thread and I'm so very sorry that you were bumped. I almost had that happen to me. Originally I was booked for 5/25/12 on Rhapsody, 8088; had to cancel due to family issues this Spring.

The other day, I went to book the same for 5/31/13. Plugged in 8088 and 8588 to check for availability. Just HAPPENED to scroll down and saw the renumbering, didn't "get it", but quickly grabbed 8596.

The point is, I KNOW I would have shown up in Seattle 5/25 expecting my JS corner AFT 8088 and been devastated by this unforgivable mess caused by RCCL. I never check CC postings regarding cabins! The only reason I did read that other thread is because I wanted to find out why the cabin numbers had changed.

In my opinion, EVERY Aft passenger moved by RCCL due to their faux pas should have at least been upgraded free to a GS. Bottle of wine? 200.00? Are they kidding? Fly all the way to Seattle for a corner AFT after a 15 month wait and not get it?

I feel for you; you are taking it better than I would have.

I will be on CC reading AFTers' posts following this Spring's cruises.

Happy cruising to you, on RCCL or NOT----

Linda

Bill--

I was reading your posts on another thread and I'm so very sorry that you were bumped. I almost had that happen to me. Originally I was booked for 5/25/12 on Rhapsody, 8088; had to cancel due to family issues this Spring.

The other day, I went to book the same for 5/31/13. Plugged in 8088 and 8588 to check for availability. Just HAPPENED to scroll down and saw the renumbering, didn't "get it", but quickly grabbed 8596.

The point is, I KNOW I would have shown up in Seattle 5/25 expecting my JS cornejr AFT 8088 and been devastated by this unforgivable mess caused by RCCL. I never check CC postings regarding cabins! The only reason I did read that other thread is because I wanted to find out why the cabin numbers had changed. L

In my opinion, EVERY Aft passenger moved by RCCL due to their faux pas should have at least been upgraded free to a GS. Bottle of wine? 200.00? Are they kidding? Fly all the way to Seattle for a corner AFT after a 15 month wait and not get it?

I feel for you; you are taking it better than I would have.

I will be on CC reading AFTers' posts following this Spring's cruises.

Happy cruising to you, on RCCL or NOT----

Linda

Thanks Linda. Still have not happy about the situation. There's not much can be done to change it. I agree. A bottle of wine or $200 is pennies to RCI. But short of making some lawyer in South Florida rich, it is what it is.

Hi folks, been lurking here off and on for a long time, but never felt like I had anything noteworthy to say until now I guess.

Another devastated cruiser here. We had 8588 booked for 7/6/2012 through Alaska, and got punted. To make things worse, my wife and I are especially crushed by this...we actually tried to take this cruise last June in the same room, but got turned away at the pier after my wife had too many greasy french fries the night before, causing some minor GI symptoms (which promptly went away well before the sailing, but the form asked for "symptoms within 24 hrs" and my saintly, honest wife decided to take what should have been the high road, counting on a real medical eval from a real doctor. A little naive I guess, but I couldn't do anything but stand by her. After we were denied boarding...well...only on rare occasions have I seen her cry like that.)

After hours on the phone with the issues from June, we were finally made whole and immediately rebooked the aft corner from the first available sailing, only to have this happen :(

I'm in disbelief and shock as to how you guys have been treated throughout this. It seems obvious to me that the solution is to give the correct cabins to the original reservations. Even worse is that Costco Travel is JUST NOW contacting me about this a few days ago. I wish I had seen this thread real-time. :(

Thing is, we love Royal. Loved, anyhow. We took our honeymoon on Royal. We raved to our friends. We've sailed almost exclusively with Royal since we started cruising (save one cruise with our friends where we didn't pick the line). We're pretty young, but we just knew we'd hit the Diamond mark eventually. But now, after being bent over two years in a row, I want to just cancel this altogether and call it quits with them. And it seems like they don't even care. Plus, how can I possibly sail in a JS knowing that I'm nearly right next to the people that took away what I had booked?

And maybe I would just cancel this, but...we're sailing on cruise credit from last year that expires in mid July. Maybe I'll ask them to refund the certificates, but if they handle certificate refunds like they have this, I'm sure that will go well too.

I just don't know what to do...I just want to give Royal money, and get what I booked in return. :(

As i said previously "there will be more people with this issue" as some TAs are just not on top of this issue. I have given up and accepted a midship JS but others have managed to get their original location back ... Who knows how though

I feel sorry for all those who have had their chosen rooms sold out from under them. Sound like a ROYAL stuff-up to me. Talk about the WOW factor!:(

At the risk of hijacking this thread back to it's original theme, RCI have posted new photos of the ship on their FaceBook page:

We've been on this ship 3 times beginning in February 2011. I'm trying convince DW that we should book another cruise for this November (2012). It will be great to see the changes in person.

Hi folks, been lurking here off and on for a long time, but never felt like I had anything noteworthy to say until now I guess.

Another devastated cruiser here. We had 8588 booked for 7/6/2012 through Alaska, and got punted. To make things worse, my wife and I are especially crushed by this...we actually tried to take this cruise last June in the same room, but got turned away at the pier after my wife had too many greasy french fries the night before, causing some minor GI symptoms (which promptly went away well before the sailing, but the form asked for "symptoms within 24 hrs" and my saintly, honest wife decided to take what should have been the high road, counting on a real medical eval from a real doctor. A little naive I guess, but I couldn't do anything but stand by her. After we were denied boarding...well...only on rare occasions have I seen her cry like that.)

After hours on the phone with the issues from June, we were finally made whole and immediately rebooked the aft corner from the first available sailing, only to have this happen :(

I'm in disbelief and shock as to how you guys have been treated throughout this. It seems obvious to me that the solution is to give the correct cabins to the original reservations. Even worse is that Costco Travel is JUST NOW contacting me about this a few days ago. I wish I had seen this thread real-time. :(

Thing is, we love Royal. Loved, anyhow. We took our honeymoon on Royal. We raved to our friends. We've sailed almost exclusively with Royal since we started cruising (save one cruise with our friends where we didn't pick the line). We're pretty young, but we just knew we'd hit the Diamond mark eventually. But now, after being bent over two years in a row, I want to just cancel this altogether and call it quits with them. And it seems like they don't even care. Plus, how can I possibly sail in a JS knowing that I'm nearly right next to the people that took away what I had booked?

And maybe I would just cancel this, but...we're sailing on cruise credit from last year that expires in mid July. Maybe I'll ask them to refund the certificates, but if they handle certificate refunds like they have this, I'm sure that will go well too.

I just don't know what to do...I just want to give Royal money, and get what I booked in return. :(

So sorry for all your problems with this issue. What Royal Caribbean has done is not fair. And is extremely poor business.

What I would fear in your case, if you were to cancel, is RCI simply refusing to refund the certificates. I'm sure, in their minds, that they feel they did you a favor by agreeing to any sort of a refund for last year's cruise, when they were not obligated to do so.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide.

Looks like she's done!

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/7016-rhapsody-completes-drydocking.html

Rhapsody Completes Drydocking printButton.png

Thursday, 29 March 2012 After a month-long $54 million dry dock, Royal Caribbean International’s Rhapsody of the Seas has emerged from Singapore’s Sembawang Shipyard (a subsidiary of Sembcorp Marine Ltd.) as a virtually new ship.

The newly revitalized Rhapsody of the Seas will deliver guests a host of exciting new dining options, visually stunning entertainment and unique amenities after the ship’s bow-to-stern transformation. Guests will have the opportunity to enjoy all of Rhapsody of the Seas new signature features as they sail in the awe-inspiring Alaska this summer or vibrant Australia in the fall.

“Rhapsody of the Seas’ dry dock is part of Royal Caribbean’s multi-ship enhancement and revitalization strategy to deliver the world’s most innovative cruise ships, exciting itineraries and world-renowned Gold Anchored service to our guests, also known as the Royal Advantage” said Betsy O’Rourke, senior vice president, Marketing, Royal Caribbean International. “With every inch of Rhapsody of the Seas renewed, five new dining restaurants added, the evolution of entertainment in our iconic Centrum, plus an array of new touches, guests will be wowed by what is virtually a new ship.”

The all-encompassing revitalization introduces a range of guest amenities and premium experiences that are sure to wow even the most experienced cruiser. From the Royal Babies and Tots Nursery designed for the cruise line’s youngest guests, 6 - 36 months old, a Diamond Lounge for Crown & Anchor Society loyalty members, a Concierge Lounge for suite guests and top-tier loyalty guests and completely refreshed staterooms, the onboard revitalization was comprehensive.

Guests also will find that staying connected at sea will be easier with Wi-Fi availability throughout the ship and enjoy a host of technology enhancements that include, flat-panel televisions in all staterooms, an outdoor LED movie screen on the pool deck, as well as a digital way-finding system all of which debut on Royal Caribbean’s latest and world’s most innovative sister ships, Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas.

:D

I"m a little bummed out. Our cabin originally had a sofa for a third person and we had contemplated adding Mom to our cruise. BUt weren't too worried because it wasn't a for sure thing.

Well, she called the other day and asked if she could come. Thankfully I knew about this thread. I went and checked and sure enough....no pull out couch anymore :-( There are no 3 person JS left on the cruise either.

She's really crushed. I know there isn't anything I can do, since we didn't have 3 in the cabin. It still sucks though.

As i said previously "there will be more people with this issue" as some TAs are just not on top of this issue. I have given up and accepted a midship JS but others have managed to get their original location back ... Who knows how though

Whether or not you got your locations back (we got ours only because it hadn't already been booked by somebody else, I think), I urge you to write to Adam Goldstein, agoldstein@rccl.com. Papakaiser is the only one I know of who did not at least get a courtesy call, but the woman to whom I spoke tried to convince me that not many people were affected by this fiasco. I think it's important to let them know that (as I supsected) that simply isn't true.

We want to book a cruise on Vision after she's been refurbished, but of course would be pouncing on the corner afts before the work has been done. I really don't want to go through this again.

I wonder what happened with Splendour's redo - I can only recall one post on the subject, and that person was worried because s/he had a new cabin number - same location, though. So I wonder if they did the right thing with SP and just fell asleep for RH...

Whether or not you got your locations back (we got ours only because it hadn't already been booked by somebody else, I think), I urge you to write to Adam Goldstein, agoldstein@rccl.com. Papakaiser is the only one I know of who did not at least get a courtesy call, but the woman to whom I spoke tried to convince me that not many people were affected by this fiasco. I think it's important to let them know that (as I supsected) that simply isn't true.

I did write to Adam, although I don't have a lot of faith that it will have an impact based on what the rest of you guys have gone through. I also submitted our story to a consumer awareness site. My wife and I want to go on this trip so badly, but I just don't know how we could have a good time after everything that has happened. They slotted us in the aft cabin RIGHT NEXT to the corner aft. So we'd literally be next door to the people that took our cabin.

And we'd even consider asking for an extension to our cruise certificates and trying to get the corners for next year, but if our plans work out the way we have them penciled in, she will be with child at that time...and it goes without saying that pregnancy isn't very conducive to cruise travel.

When all is said and done, I'm just afraid that RCI has forever wrecked Alaska for us.

When all is said and done, I'm just afraid that RCI has forever wrecked Alaska for us.

I realize that I'm in a different position than you are, having recovered my cabin, but please don't feel that way. If you do have an aft cabin, you will still have a magnificent view of the scenery, just a slightly different perspective of it - you can see right over the corner aft cabin to the side. We've sailed in corners and center afts and have enjoyed them almost equally. And if the weather is rainy, you will have more shelter in the center aft cabins so will get more use of your balcony.

I'm not a glass-half-full person, and I would be really angry if I were in your shoes, but you still have a very nice cabin and I predict that you will be blown away by Alaska. And Rhapsody has one of the best crews in the fleet, so they will also help you to recover from your disappointment.:)

I definitely sympathize with Bill. We have lost our cabin on the 6-1-12 sailing of the Rhapsody and I don't see any resolution in sight. We have made dozen of calls and the only answer we receive is "you are on the waiting list and we will call if something becomes available, but the changes to the ship will be wonderful". Personally, I really am not that concerned about the ships changes. I am more concerned with the customer service, or lack thereof, that we have seen so far. We were switching favorite cruise lines for this special occasion and they are going to have to work three times as hard to make up for the deficits that we have experienced so far. I was very excited about my aft for several months. Right now I am very concerned about the fact that we have had to move my parents further from the elevator area so that their granddaughter would be able to cruise with the rest of the family. Oh well,I guess I will hope for calm sees and pain tolerance from my father. I just hope they have an excellent time.

Archived