Am I being unreasonable?

Lovesatq

This is the situation...my husband and I along with my brother and his wife are booked for a June, 2012 Med cruise starting off in Rome. My brother and his wife are booked in a Cat. D cabin and we're in Cat H. When we originally booked we were placed in the same Rome hotel (perfect) but now my brother has been switched to a higher class hotel (3 miles from ours). In order for us to be in the same hotel we'll have to opt out of Regents pre-cruise package and free hotel night meaning we'll have to private pay for transfers, hotel and a deviation fee. All amount to approximately $500 when you back out package and hotel night credit of $600. This is my husbands first trip to Europe and it took a lot for me to convince him to leave his comfort zone. He's very uncomfortable with not being under the Regents umbrella when it comes especially to the transfer from hotel to pier (2 hour ride).

We have no problem with paying for the difference between hotels but feel that Regents should help us by providing us with a Regents transfer or at least a discount from hotel to pier since they put us into this position by switching our hotels. I'm going to have my TA call Regents but would appreciate your thoughts on this situation before hand.

Well they have not said no yet! But then again they likely will.....my advice is to have both couples throw caution to the wind and dump your hotels, take the Regent credit and pick out something much nicer (likely less $$$) than the Regent hotels. Arrange with a single company (do this soon) to meet you at the airport with a smile and a sign with your name... They will take you to your hotel. Same company would take both couples (big savings with 4 people) to the port. No Buses, no waiting around in long lines....you will arrive in style and on your own time frame!

Sounds like the perfect way to start your adventure :)

You have an issue that people should be helping you with.

Your problem seems to be that your Brother has been moved to a higher value Hotel and thus separated from you. This has occured after you both booked and were placed in the same Hotel.

Has your Brother tried to get his Hotel switched back to the original one, I cannot see why this cannot be done.

If your Brother does not wish to do it then that is a totally different proposition.

Unlike some people, I trully hope that your problem can be overcome and that both you and your Brother can start the vacation in the same Hotel.

Please enjoy your cruise what ever happens.

PS ....no your request does not sound unreasonable, just thinking it will fall on deaf ears (ya ya you never know) and my idea sounds so much nicer and I would bet less confusing than what you are putting yourself thru now....

Hummmm a hotel near the Spanish Steps ???? Something charming :)

Happy cruising, now get on Trip Advisor and check your options!

Oh I hope they Can fix it..... Just think the other option is far nicer!

I think you would be way better off just doing your own transfers and hotel. Rome is not some 3rd world country. There are lots of really nice hotels, and you can get transfers arranged easily. I have names of companies we have used in Rome if you want them. Also would be perfectly safe and fine to take a taxi from the airport to your hotel.

However, if you really want Regent to do this, just ask them to downgrade your brother. I bet they would have no problem at all with that idea.

TT.....actually my TA inquired about my brother and his wife staying in the originally booked hotel and she was told by Regents that they would not make the switch. Doesn't make sense to me unless Regents feels they would be expected to refund the difference.

Nana.....if it was up to me, I would do exactly what you said and dump Regents pre-cruise package and book on our own but my brother travels with Regents mainly because he likes everything taken care of even if it means paying more.

TT.....actually my TA inquired about my brother and his wife staying in the originally booked hotel and she was told by Regents that they would not make the switch. Doesn't make sense to me unless Regents feels they would be expected to refund the difference.

Nana.....if it was up to me, I would do exactly what you said and dump Regents pre-cruise package and book on our own but my brother travels with Regents mainly because he likes everything taken care of even if it means paying more.

Your problem may be that your Brother has not yet made the actual request to downgrade his Hotel, can you ask him to request that his TA work with your TA to resolve the matter. I assume that you already have your bookings linked so that you can dine together so Regent must know that you are a party.

It's unfortunate if your own foursome cannot agree, but I have to concur with Nana541 and others, you will be WAY better off if you just cancel the Regent hotel (which is very much overpriced!) and do your own hotel together. Regent will give you a credit back of $300 per person, and no hotel anywhere costs $600/night! Transfers from hotel to pier are always available for less than the cruise lines charge. Even your TA can arrange this privately for less. I personally would never recommend using Regent's pre-cruise hotel. It's not "free" at all.

I. Regent will give you a credit back of $300 per person, and no hotel anywhere costs $600/night! Transfers from hotel to pier are always available for less than the cruise lines charge.

You might check because Italy is outrageously expensive. Actually - all of Europe is very costly now. We were just there. $100 doesn't go far at all.

If you have never been to Rome or Europe is might seem daunting to do that the first time. A good hotel with concierge will help you. One of the joys of luxury travel is that you can have it all done for you but it really is optional.

For someone new to a city with no language skills and unsure of how to navigate it can be scary. Rome is quite lovely. Transportation to Citivecchia is not inexpensive but you would be able to get a decent hotel and private transfer easily. Our first time we stayed overnight at the Sheraton Rome Airport. They had transportation to the Spanish Steps - it was decent. reasonable and english friendly. We met our guide at the airport for a two week tour.

Get a tour book like Frommer's or Rick Steve's to know what they recommend so you will feel confident. Cabs are plentiful.

We just did a Regent cruise that ended in Rome. Our TA booked our hotel and arrangements from the dock to the hotel and then to the airport. It could not have gone better or been easier. Much more pleasant than getting on a bus. Like you husband I was very nervous. Nothing to worry about. Make your own arrangements. Take the money you save and have a nice dinner by the Spanish steps.

I disagree with booking your own hotel because of the the fact that this is your first Regent cruise and your husband has concerns. While I do usually recommend booking your own hotel, there is nothing more comforting for newbies than being taken care of by Regent and not having to worry about taxi's, pulling your luggage around, etc. If you are at separate hotels for this one night, I would simply accept it and use a cab to meet up with each other. In this case, I would allow Regent to take care of everything. Have a great cruise:)

I disagree with booking your own hotel because of the the fact that this is your first Regent cruise and your husband has concerns. While I do usually recommend booking your own hotel, there is nothing more comforting for newbies than being taken care of by Regent and not having to worry about taxi's, pulling your luggage around, etc. If you are at separate hotels for this one night, I would simply accept it and use a cab to meet up with each other. In this case, I would allow Regent to take care of everything. Have a great cruise:)

Good point ....and this would be my hubby's reasoning and concerns also! Lucky for me when traveling he usually lets me make the arrangements and is along for the ride! i think both couples need to get on the same page and let the ladies take over :)

Happy sailing!!!!

It's unfortunate if your own foursome cannot agree, but I have to concur with Nana541 and others, you will be WAY better off if you just cancel the Regent hotel (which is very much overpriced!) and do your own hotel together. Regent will give you a credit back of $300 per person, and no hotel anywhere costs $600/night! Transfers from hotel to pier are always available for less than the cruise lines charge. Even your TA can arrange this privately for less. I personally would never recommend using Regent's pre-cruise hotel. It's not "free" at all.

Nothing provided by Regent is free. You pay up front and you pay dearly for the one added quality we all seek, convenience. I agree with nanook21 that the TA is the right person to scout out your area lodging and transportation. Jack Morris

I am in total agreement with TC on this one regarding cruisers new to Regent. We were in a very similar situation in November, also in Rome. We were in a Cat. C and my Mother was in an E. Regent refused to downgrade us to her hotel, so she took her hotel credit and booked a room at our hotel. Since she was booking one of the hotels Regent uses for their land program she received free transfers both from airport to hotel and from hotel to ship. None of us booked our air through Regent. So, while my Mom got the transport from the airport, ours was not included. Do not worry about this if you truly want a Regent transfer. Just approach the representative with the Regent sign and ask if you can get on one of the buses. Sometimes we have paid a fee, most of the time we are not charged. Hope this helps.....unfortunately cannot refer back to board to check if I have covered everything. Good Luck!

I am in total agreement with TC on this one regarding cruisers new to Regent. We were in a very similar situation in November, also in Rome. We were in a Cat. C and my Mother was in an E. Regent refused to downgrade us to her hotel, so she took her hotel credit and booked a room at our hotel. Since she was booking one of the hotels Regent uses for their land program she received free transfers both from airport to hotel and from hotel to ship. None of us booked our air through Regent. So, while my Mom got the transport from the airport, ours was not included. Do not worry about this if you truly want a Regent transfer. Just approach the representative with the Regent sign and ask if you can get on one of the buses. Sometimes we have paid a fee, most of the time we are not charged. Hope this helps.....unfortunately cannot refer back to board to check if I have covered everything. Good Luck!

Am in total disagreement and amazement with all this talk about cruisers new to Regent. That has absolutely nothing to do with the cost of tea in China. If the people are new to traveling outside their local area, perhaps this is a good idea or if they have never cruised before as well. Experience in traveling could make a difference but, new to any particular cruise line is no reason to pay much more for your pre-cruise.

There have been a few good ideas both using the Regent hotels and not. It all depends on the OP and her brother's wants but, basing decisions on being new to a particular cruise line is ridiculous.

To the OP, take a look at all the suggestions and do what you and the other couple feel most comfortable with and enjoy your cruise.

rallydave, I should have stated that better. We were traveling with my 82 year old Mother, recently widowed and new to cruising. Knowing that she would be well taken care of by Regent was invaluable to her and took the responsibility away from my Husband and me. All around it made for a very pleasant trip. Did not mean to get your dander up!

Thanks Anna. It's just upsetting when new people looking for ideas of how to handle issues are given ideas that are based on cheerleading for Regent and not on logic. Know you were supporting the post of another poster who too often simply don't make sense. Appreciate you seeing that it really is up to the OP to make a good decision based on their needs and not which cruise line they are cruising for the first time.

Thanks,

When we booked our first Regent cruise (Istanbul to Monte Carlo) we were intimidated. We had never been to this part of the world. We had done river cruises from Paris to Nuremburg and Amsterdam to Budapest. We much appreciated being met at the Istanbul airport and taken to the Ritz Carlton and then on to the ship, it was reassuring. Do what feels right for you.

Thanks Anna. It's just upsetting when new people looking for ideas of how to handle issues are given ideas that are based on cheerleading for Regent and not on logic. Know you were supporting the post of another poster who too often simply don't make sense. Appreciate you seeing that it really is up to the OP to make a good decision based on their needs and not which cruise line they are cruising for the first time.

Thanks,

My, you sound a bit upset by this subject. No need to be. The OP asked for opinions and is getting it. That is a good thing. I wonder if you are considering the fact that the OP's husband has not been to Europe. My recommendation was based on the fact that he needs to feel comfortable. This was not Regent cheerleading -- I would have made the same recommendation for someone on any cruise line. IMO, this is quite logical. Nana has the best solution -- "let the ladies take over":D

My, you sound a bit upset by this subject. No need to be. The OP asked for opinions and is getting it. That is a good thing. I wonder if you are considering the fact that the OP's husband has not been to Europe. My recommendation was based on the fact that he needs to feel comfortable. This was not Regent cheerleading -- I would have made the same recommendation for someone on any cruise line. IMO, this is quite logical. Nana has the best solution -- "let the ladies take over":D

Not at all upset by the subject. Ideas and any ideas are certainly welcome. It's the addition of reasons to the suggestion that is upsetting. You assumed that the OP and brother are newbies and made a suggestion based on this being their first Regent cruise. The suggestion was fine to make however people travel and cruise on other cruise lines and have as much or more experience with traveling as the most traveled on this board making your rationale sound like cheerleading. Even the person supporting your post understood that.

Instead of a negative response to suggestions, take a look at what was written and see that it could have been taken in more ways than what you meant.

As far as ladies taking over, from the number of posters who are female vs. male, on the whole that may be correct but, there are many males who are quite capable of making the best decision.

Not at all upset by the subject. Ideas and any ideas are certainly welcome. It's the addition of reasons to the suggestion that is upsetting. You assumed that the OP and brother are newbies and made a suggestion based on this being their first Regent cruise. The suggestion was fine to make however people travel and cruise on other cruise lines and have as much or more experience with traveling as the most traveled on this board making your rationale sound like cheerleading. Even the person supporting your post understood that.

Instead of a negative response to suggestions, take a look at what was written and see that it could have been taken in more ways than what you meant.

As far as ladies taking over, from the number of posters who are female vs. male, on the whole that may be correct but, there are many males who are quite capable of making the best decision.

Perhaps it is being onboard a Regent ship while I am writing, but I find your post extremely funny.

First of all, IMO (and this is only my opinion) women know their husbands and are the best judge of their likes, dislikes and comfort zones. Husbands probably can do the same for their wives. My suggestion has little to do with a brother staying at a different hotel. The major concern appears to be her husband who has concerns.

The OP and his wife are newbies in terms of Regent and the port of embarkation (this is simply a response to your comment).

I doubt if many people in the world would find a positive suggestion to use Regent transfers/hotels to make it easier for passengers to be negative.

Everyone understood Anna B.'s post. It should be helpful to the OP. I think that most of the suggestions on this thread are enough to help the OP. Let's not muddy the waters with an argument.

Wow, didn't mean to start a feud between two of my favorite posters but all of your feedback has been fantastic. To explain my situation further, I have a great husband that has a phobia about overseas travel but he's made it possible for me to travel extensively with my daughters and this won't be my first Regent's cruise or first time in Italy. He's retiring next year and I thought a Regent's cruise would be a good way to introduce him to the possibilities. As much as I love cruising, I prefer throwing caution to the wind and winging it. My mode of travel has been based on my travel companions and their comfort zone.

If Regents will add us to their transfer list providing we stay at my brother's hotel (suggested by poster), we'll go for that. However, if that's not the case, I located another hotel down the same street and with the hotel savings even after adding additional cost it will be a wash as far as cost. I'll post what Regents has to say this week.. Thank you again everyone..

Archived