False advertising by NCL, Free Balcony upgrades All ships - All Destinations

Middleager

Late this moring Dec. 12, received an email from NCL with title "POA 2012.08.25 sailing: Our 12th Day Of Christmas Has The Best Surprise Yet."

In the email body it says "Free Balcony upgrades All ships - All Destinations", and "We saved the best surprise for last See your surprise". If you click on either one, it brings you to this screen. In the left box it says

--

BALCONY UPGRADES

Find Oceanview, Balcony, Mini-Suite upgrades on any cruise vacation by looking for the icons below in our Cruise Search Results.

icon_upgrade_blue.png Oceanview for an Inside Prices

icon_upgrade_yellow.png Balcony for Oceanview Prices

icon_upgrade_green.png Mini-Suite for Balcony Prices

--

When clicking on Get Started, it shows a list of sailings. Click on show all (instead of a few sailing per page), it shows all kinds of sailings. I then clicked on the POA Hawaii sailing, get to the list of dates, and clicked on Aug. 25, 2012. It lists a bunch of cabins and prices.

I then called NCL to ask, if I book accordingly to their 12th day of X-mas special, from that page that listed the cabin and prices, how do I know if I buy an inside I'll be getting upgrade to OV, or buy OV to get upgrade to Balcony. The CSR immediately said that promotion does not apply to all ships and not all destinations. Well, but that's not what the ad says.

I then asked about this Aug. 20 Hawaii sailing. The CSR looked at it then says for this sailing, there is no upgrade for inside cabins. However, if I book the top oceanview O1 cabin, he can upgrade from the 7th deck to the 11th deck balcony. But I pointed out the price for the O1 cabin, and many decks of balcony cabins are the same prices. I didn't need to book O1 with him but I can book the 11 deck balcony myself. He says that's right, that is the special promotion, only for today. So if I want that special I better book it today.

The price of the Hawaii sailing is high, and I was only planning to spend on the inside cabin (which is showing $1149/p on NCL but $1099/p on expedia - which I got to the page just before actual buy, go figure)

I'm disappointed by this advertising. If NCL had said "Select ships, select destinations", it would be truthful. But to say All, and then tell you it's not All, that is just false advertising. This thing about upgrading from top oceanview to balcony, well yes you can call it an upgrade but it is deceiving.

It's just as likely that the CSR wasn't adequately trained and that if you called back you'd get a different answer. Getting a balcony for the price of an oceanview sounds like a free upgrade to me. The ad does not say "all sailings". It may be an ad that strains ones reading comprehension (and I do not mean that as a personal affront to you, it took me a while to figure it out too) but I doubt that a claim of false advertising would stand up.

It's just as likely that the CSR wasn't adequately trained and that if you called back you'd get a different answer. Getting a balcony for the price of an oceanview sounds like a free upgrade to me. The ad does not say "all sailings". It may be an ad that strains ones reading comprehension (and I do not mean that as a personal affront to you, it took me a while to figure it out too) but I doubt that a claim of false advertising would stand up.

I agree, I don't read it as false advertising either. But a creative advertising technique. There is always that fine line between clever wording and misleading the public. This is common practice in large companies and has been an acceptable practice for as long back as I can remember.

Aren't upgrades usually within the same category?? Like you choose the cheapest balcony cabin and get upgraded a few levels to a better balcony cabin??

It's been a LONG time since I saw upgrades from inside to OV and OV to balcony....

Aren't upgrades usually within the same category?? Like you choose the cheapest balcony cabin and get upgraded a few levels to a better balcony cabin??

It's been a LONG time since I saw upgrades from inside to OV and OV to balcony....

Not sure but I thought I seen this offer one other time back when I was researching my first cruise if my memories serves me correctly (:D somedays that can be a big IF ;)).

But it's on their website as balcony for the price of an oceanview. So even if it isn't the norm, it is the special right now.

Not sure but I thought I seen this offer one other time back when I was researching my first cruise if my memories serves me correctly (:D somedays that can be a big IF ;)).

But it's on their website as balcony for the price of an oceanview. So even if it isn't the norm, it is the special right now.

That's awesome...and I must agree with the OP. The ad is terribly misleading. I hope the person he spoke to at NCL was mistaken.

OP, have you tried looking at web sites for TA's? If this is an NCL promotion, other agenicies will be having the same deal.

BALCONY UPGRADES

Find Oceanview, Balcony, Mini-Suite upgrades on any cruise vacation by looking for the icons below in our Cruise Search Results.

icon_upgrade_blue.png Oceanview for an Inside Prices

icon_upgrade_yellow.png Balcony for Oceanview Prices

icon_upgrade_green.png Mini-Suite for Balcony Prices

I then called NCL to ask, if I book accordingly to their 12th day of X-mas special, from that page that listed the cabin and prices, how do I know if I buy an inside I'll be getting upgrade to OV, or buy OV to get upgrade to Balcony.

If I'm understanding this question correctly. The answer is simple, if you go to your sail date that you are looking for, you look for one of the symbols above beside the date of your cruise. Some will have a yellow arrow, some will have a blue, some will have a blue and a yellow and some will have none. You don't buy an inside and get upgraded to an oceanview. You buy an oceanview at the price of an inside.

I agree with the OP. It is misleading

ALL SHIPS ALL DESTINATIONS

When it says "All ships" I take that to mean ALL SHIPS

You should not have to read fine print or call NCL for clarification

The big red banner clearly says ALL SHIPS

can you imainge this kind of advertisement for anything else?

Selling cars? ALL CARS ALL KINDS on sale

Sorry, we did not mean ALL Cars, just the ones that are on sale LOL :)

I agree with the OP. It is misleading

ALL SHIPS ALL DESTINATIONS

When it says "All ships" I take that to mean ALL SHIPS

You should not have to read fine print or call NCL for clarification

The big red banner clearly says ALL SHIPS

can you imainge this kind of advertisement for anything else?

Selling cars? ALL CARS ALL KINDS on sale

Sorry, we did not mean ALL Cars, just the ones that are on sale LOL :)

Aw but it is on "all ships" it just isn't on "all sailings" of that ship. I agree you couldn't do that with cars from a sales lot because it wouldn't make sense unless it was a rental company that only rented by the week. Then it could say "all cars", "all rental locations" then in small print or terms and conditions have "only on selected weeks".

Are people seriously surprised by this advertising technique, it's about as old as the hills and used by so many large companies.

BTW in my research I found this same promotion ran last December.

I believe that this is like the signs on many stores. They say "GOING OUT for BUSINESS" and our minds read "GOING OUT of BUSINESS" This sale states that all of their ships have this sale and that all destinations are covered. They can then dispurse the sales among all of their ships but not all sailings are covered. I was thinking the same way until I read between the lines and saw that the sailing that I wanted did not fall in this catagory. The best thing to do is to read the sale info many time & it will become clear.

Gene

I don't think this is misleading at all. It's basic advertising to try and get you to buy in. They don't mislead you - its your mind reading what it wants to read and jumping to that conclusion. No different than an airline saying all planes, all destinations on sale now.

Is it false advertising - certainly not. I would go far as to say the OP is guilty of libel at this point. .. . .

But I pointed out the price for the O1 cabin, and many decks of balcony cabins are the same prices. I didn't need to book O1 with him but I can book the 11 deck balcony myself. He says that's right, that is the special promotion, only for today. So if I want that special I better book it today.

I'm not sure why this is false advertising? It sounds (per your own research) as though the price for an O1 will get you a deck 11 balcony.

That's exactly what was promised.

If that price is the same tomorrow, then maybe you have a case.

If that price is the same tomorrow, then maybe you have a case.

Nope I still can't see a case for false advertising even if it is on for tomorrow. He was told by someone at NCL "He says that's right, that is the special promotion, only for today. So if I want that special I better book it today" thats not advertising. I can't find an ending date to promotion online or in his original post.

Any one day advertising that I've seen previous on NCL states "one day only".

Just checked again. The same pricing is still there on both NCL's website and other TA's website (e.g. Travelocity). So it is not true what the NCL CSR told me that it was only for yesterday.

Ok, so it is not "false" advertising in a legal sense. I can't edit the original post to make any changes. It is deceiving advertising though when it says "All ships All destinations", then you find out it's not "All sailings". The CSR was also not truthful in trying to pressure me to book in saying it was for yesterday only. I would never teach my kids to talk like that to deceive people.

Just checked again. The same pricing is still there on both NCL's website and other TA's website (e.g. Travelocity). So it is not true what the NCL CSR told me that it was only for yesterday.

Ok, so it is not "false" advertising in a legal sense. I can't edit the original post to make any changes. It is deceiving advertising though when it says "All ships All destinations", then you find out it's not "All sailings". The CSR was also not truthful in trying to pressure me to book in saying it was for yesterday only. I would never teach my kids to talk like that to deceive people.

Sorry I can't agree on the deceiving (in the bad sense of the word) advertising, it's just normal play on words advertising. Are there a lot of people caught with this type of advertising? Of course, otherwise companies wouldn't use it.

You will notice a lot of your responses are from posters who know what this advertising is all about. Therefore even if it makes them look at the site, they know to look for the loopholes. But again advertising is clever and even those who are aware that something is missing in the title will be on their website, which is what they count on. Therefore NCL owes you a thank you for bringing this many more people who did not receive the email to their site, to just possibly look into a cruise while they are there.

As for the rep you spoke to. I doubt he was out to deceive you either, I imagine he was just (well for the sake of political correctness, I will refrain from categorizing him). Most, with any experience on here will tell you, if you wish to get a straight answer it may take you a few phone calls to find out someone that actually knows what they are talking about. I'm sure NCL tries but their call center is just that a call center and filled with most that have no idea what they are talking about and have never stepped foot on a ship.

If I was to make any recommendation to NCL it would be start training your front line workers better!! Whether it's the front desk on the ship or the call center at the main phone number. That would certainly save a lot of passengers a lot of headaches and misinformation.

I think being ticked about this, you are wasting a lot of energy for nothing.

side note* I was just thinking maybe they should make their call center people do an hour of mandatory CC reading a shift, they'd probably be more educated than from the computer screen in front of them.

Not going to get in the middle of the false v. misleading advertising discussion but I do wish NCL would do a better job of preparing their CSAs and their website (and checking it twice as Santa always does) before they advertise one of these big promotions.

Yesterday, after hearing about the “free upgrade” sale like we used last year to buy our October 2011 cruise, I wanted to see if I could rebook/upgrade our Canada cruise in September 2012. I called NCL and pretended I was making a first booking, the person I talked with said the upgrades from OV to Balcony were sold out even though it was showing with the little arrow "upgrade available".

Not wanting to give up, I tried again and this time told them I was already booked but wanted to see about this new sale, the agent looked into it and came back and said since we have one of the Lattitudes graduation OBCs that it wouldn’t save us any money which I initally accepted..

After further consideration and realizing that there was a $300 pp price difference between the most expensive OV and the cheapest Balcony, I decided that didn't sound right since the OBC was only $75 per cabin….so I called yet again and this time the agent said that the upgrade offer differed between ships – on some it was good either between categories (from OV to Balcony) and on others was solely within a category (from a low OV to a higher one). Thinking I had misread the fine print, I accepted this.

Back I went to read the fine print but that is not what it said for Gem…so I called again (that’s 4 calls if anyone is counting), I explained to the nice lady what the previous agent had told me and that I couldn’t understand why there wasn’t an OV category showing the same price as one of the balcony categories, which is how this promotion was done last time year. She used her system and said she couldn’t see any upgrade promotional codes so then she pulled up the NCL website and pretended to make a booking just like I had done and agreed that it said there should be some balconies at OV pricing but that they weren’t pricing that way. She asked me to hold on while she did some research.

After about 10 minutes, she came back and said it appeared that none of the NE/Canada cruises had been correctly inputted into the system. She said the “cheat sheet” she received showed that Gem's Canada sailings should have had a “free” upgrade from a lower inside category to a higher inside, but didn’t show the OV to Balcony that the website was advertising. She apologized and suggested I either go ahead and book one or the other or keep checking the website as she was hopeful that my question would prompt someone to rectify the situation.

So today after reading this thread, I looked again, and alas, NOTHING is different. Still has the arrow with the "upgrade" available box which when you click on it says, "Get a balcony for the price of an oceanview (select categories)" but when you try to book, none of the Balconies are priced the same as any of the OVs. :confused::confused:

Anyone have a suggestion other than giving up?:(

Archived