Chops- Is it worth the extra $$$?

Flopthis25

well I hope you sent it back and asked for another one? :confused:

there is NO excuse to eat something that is "awful" on a cruise. they will be more than glad to replace it for you with something you like.

my bone in ribeye in Chops on the Radiance was one of the best steaks I have ever ate and perfectly cooked to order at medium rare.

if you ordered anything above "medium" then of course its gonna be akin to leather.

No, I did not send it back because I was with others at the table and I decided not to disrupt the others by having to send my food back and have something else prepared for me.

well I hope you sent it back and asked for another one? :confused:

there is NO excuse to eat something that is "awful" on a cruise. they will be more than glad to replace it for you with something you like.

my bone in ribeye in Chops on the Radiance was one of the best steaks I have ever ate and perfectly cooked to order at medium rare.

if you ordered anything above "medium" then of course its gonna be akin to leather.

Actually, my friend ordered her filet "well-done" (just typing the words filet well-done makes me cringe:eek:). They had to butterfly it out to get it well done. She said it was delicious...so to each her own, I guess. It did look like leather!!!!!;) I was afraid to taste it!:eek:;)

I always have enjoyed my meals in Chops (and Portofino too for that matter). However, we have gotten to the point that we don't routinely eat in a specialty restaurant on every cruise. I guess neither one of us cares that much about food. However, if there is a special occasion on a cruise, then we usually make a booking for that night.

That is why I love going to Chops with a group! Twice we've had a table of our friends - 10 or so people. Both times, the server suggested that instead of having everyone order sides, she would bring one of each for our table to share, family style. This worked out perfectly as we got to try a little bit of everything.

Same thing here! We loved Chops and we thought it was the best meal we had all week on Oasis. We will definitely eat at Chops anytime we have the chance to.

I always have enjoyed my meals in Chops (and Portofino too for that matter). However, we have gotten to the point that we don't routinely eat in a specialty restaurant on every cruise. I guess neither one of us cares that much about food. However, if there is a special occasion on a cruise, then we usually make a booking for that night.

It is our 10th Anniversary! woohoo!! ;)

BTW, the service in Chops was impeccable and yes, I have dined at a 5 star. Our waiter and the maitre'd were both highly attentive. Just right in fact, as I sometimes find this constant hovering annoying. It was a great experience and we were offered 2 free glasses of wine at the first seating and a bottle of wine free at the 2nd seating which we booked onboard. Portofino's was the same way on our previous cruises and we were seated near the officer's table one night, got an earful...very interesting. We will continue to enjoy it, we already intend to book Chops for our next family cruise.

BTW, the service in Chops was impeccable and yes, I have dined at a 5 star. Our waiter and the maitre'd were both highly attentive. Just right in fact, as I sometimes find this constant hovering annoying. It was a great experience and we were offered 2 free glasses of wine at the first seating and a bottle of wine free at the 2nd seating which we booked onboard. Portofino's was the same way on our previous cruises and we were seated near the officer's table one night, got an earful...very interesting. We will continue to enjoy it, we already intend to book Chops for our next family cruise.

Well I am not really dogging Chops...I still like it there......I have eaten there at least 40 times!!! Always go there every cruise some times 2x's It's a fine place....not five star though! The service is hit and miss. Chops used to have front and back servers............service seemed better then. I cant seem to spend the $30...........but will go on the first night when it is $15. And Chops is certainly better than any land rest I can afford!!!!!

Giovanni's and Portofino in my opinion is better for food and service.

Actually, my friend ordered her filet "well-done" (just typing the words filet well-done makes me cringe:eek:). They had to butterfly it out to get it well done. She said it was delicious...so to each her own, I guess. It did look like leather!!!!!;) I was afraid to taste it!:eek:;)

My mom does that with her filet and it makes me cringe too! :eek:

She ordered the Chops Filet on the Monarch in the MDR and they had to cook it so long (not butterflied), it came out when most everyone else was about to order dessert :eek:

Our wonderful lady head waiter (whose name escapes me at the moment) apologized and had it comp'd...........Although I really didnt feel that necessary, it was a very nice thing for her to do.

I guess this subject is just like any other when it comes to food but IMHO dinner at Chops is well worth the price. We have always had great service and food. I for one am glad to see RCI adding more and more specialty dining options for their guests to choose from. I like being able to take my time without feeling rushed and having a good quality meal.:)

I guess this subject is just like any other when it comes to food but IMHO dinner at Chops is well worth the price. We have always had great service and food. I for one am glad to see RCI adding more and more specialty dining options for their guests to choose from. I like being able to take my time without feeling rushed and having a good quality meal.:)

So True.... Sometimes I cannot bear to listen to people. You are on vacation!!!! :p Compared to the chaos of the MDR any of RCI's specialties offer a peaceful & pleasant dinner. Sure, I am picky sometimes -- I don't care for that rosemary spring in my mash. I too am not a fan of hovering staff. But if you don't like your meal, they can always bring you something else. You can always just ask a server to come back or back off too. Sheesh... They can't read your mind.

In the end.... Compared to land based restaurants, the FOOD, SERVICE & PRICE in RCI's specialties is an excellent value! If you want "luxury" 5 star service, then I suggest booking a luxury line. :D

Archived