Chops- Is it worth the extra $$$?

Flopthis25

Darkwolf- I see you are from KC too. Is Chops comparable to anything in town? I absolutely LOOOOVE Piropos.

Heh, I didn't even look lol.

I'd say about a step or two above Hereford House. They've got a filet that'll knock you over. It's that good.

Darn it.. drool on my chin just thinking about it. 6 weeks and change to go! :D

Ok! Thanks!

I think my family has turned into steak snobs- or my husband has mastered the grill!!! His steaks are usually better than most restaurants.

But a filet is totally different!

You are quite welcome! Still a few spots left on the 1/29 Mariner cruise out of Galveston if you can snag it. ;) I suspect she will be well-Texanized, but that's all good!

definitely worth it.........if you like shrimp, try the shrimp cocktail for appetizer! HUGE shrimp! you can order multiple appetizers and yes, unless you like LOTS of potato, tell them you want to split one with someone in your party. :p

the steak is good I thought........I had the bone in ribeye but its gone from the menu now :( they have REAL cheesecake too! not the gelatin stuff found in the MDR. even though I eat it too, lol

Definately worth it.

We typically don't do specialty restaurants but our TA gave us a specialty restaurant gift certificate for our Oasis cruise last week. We used it to try Chops. Wonderful meal, atmosphere, and service.

We actually ate there again later in the week.

Absolutely worth it! We've eaten in Chops 10 times and ALL were terrific...point to consider: it is not only the food that is FAR superior than the MDR, but the AMBIANCE is what is best. I don't always feel like dining with 1500 people and 200 waiters criss-crossing back and forth with food trays. At Chops you can get a table for 2 BY THE WINDOW over-looking the sea and listen to soft music like Sinatra, Elton, Streisand,etc. It is a much more romantic evening ( Guys- women love this stuff!!!)

The side dishes are really what make Chops much better than the MDR IMO (and they are big enough to share- order several dishes!) ....it is certainly for a special occassion. My wife is worth the $$$, and if you've never tried these specialty venues, try them ONCE ( at least). Don't miss the hash browns with onions- you'll NEVER get those in the MDR....

Big Al

I don't eat red meat but I really enjoyed the shrimp in Chops a couple weeks ago on Liberty. My husband ordered the filet and loved it. I thought the goat cheese souffle was just okay but the crab cake my husband ordered was fabulous! The side dishes were really good but I think they need to make the portions smaller. There are several good choices, but each portion feeds 2-3 people. I feel bad about ordering more than a couple because so much goes to waste even with two people eating them. The chocolate mud pie is amazing! Hubby and I were really full after our entrees but we ended up splitting a slice of mud pie anyway. We're such gluttons! :o

We have been going to Chop's on various RCI ships for several years and always had a wonderful meal and experience.....UNTIL our recent Liberty TA cruise. It started out badly and just went downhill from there. I'd like to think this episode was a fluke, and we will probably give it another try on a future cruise.

P.S. to Darkwolfe.....Hi David!!! Hope all is well with you!!!

The side dishes were really good but I think they need to make the portions smaller. There are several good choices, but each portion feeds 2-3 people. I feel bad about ordering more than a couple because so much goes to waste even with two people eating them. :o

That is why I love going to Chops with a group! Twice we've had a table of our friends - 10 or so people. Both times, the server suggested that instead of having everyone order sides, she would bring one of each for our table to share, family style. This worked out perfectly as we got to try a little bit of everything.

Absolutely worth it! point to consider: it is not only the food that is FAR superior than the MDR, but the AMBIANCE is what is best. I don't always feel like dining with 1500 people and 200 waiters criss-crossing back and forth with food trays.

I couldn't have said it better. We used to go to the MDR most every night, on our upcoming Adventure cruise we'll be doing Portofino (no Chops on that ship) 3 of 7 nights, and Windjammer a couple. The more we cruise the less impressed we are with the atmosphere and ambiance of the MDR.

These threads usually get some comments to the effect "why pay for Chops when the food in the MDR is fine and no extra cost". It's a matter of personal preference and priorities.

My steak in Chops was awful, like a piece of leather. My daughter-in-law said the same thing about her steak.

Never again.

well I hope you sent it back and asked for another one? :confused:

there is NO excuse to eat something that is "awful" on a cruise. they will be more than glad to replace it for you with something you like.

my bone in ribeye in Chops on the Radiance was one of the best steaks I have ever ate and perfectly cooked to order at medium rare.

if you ordered anything above "medium" then of course its gonna be akin to leather.

Darkwolf- I see you are from KC too. Is Chops comparable to anything in town? I absolutely LOOOOVE Piropos.

My girlfriend and I booked Chops for Valentines evening on the Liberty, and I was curious about this too as Kansas City area residents...we've got access to some good beef here, and I have trouble convincing myself that a steak on a boat somewhere south of Turks & Caicos will be any good!

Zach~ I think that will be great for V-day! Not much can ruin valentines for me.

It seems like Chops is pretty split on here. Maybe I'll book later on our cruise and ask others onboard how it is...

I FINALLY book plane tix this morning. I have been hoping they would go down. They didn't. :(

Can we bring 5 hour energy on board? I don't know how I'm going to get everything done that I want to do!!!!!

I have trouble convincing myself that a steak on a boat somewhere south of Turks & Caicos will be any good!

If you are expecting dry aged Prime cuts you will likely be disappointed. You WILL get a very nice "Choice" cut, cooked to order though. Which is a far cry better than the piece of steak served in the MDR :) (unless you order the 14.95 upcharge filet)

well I hope you sent it back and asked for another one? :confused: there is NO excuse to eat something that is "awful" on a cruise. they will be more than glad to replace it for you with something you like....

Hi ryano,

You weren't replying to me, but as I said in post #11, my experience was the same. However, sometimes.... it's just more convenient and less of a scene to not send something back to the kitchen. Had I done so, I can guarantee you my husband would have stopped eating and his food would have gotten cold while he waited for mine to come back. That's just the way he is. Why do that to him?

It was a personal decision and I am living with it. However, having said that, it did taint the evening for me. The service was wonderful - the food, not so much. *shrug* We won't be going back.

Archived