Question about the "free excusrions"

dibati2

We recently booked our first Regent Cruise - Western Med next year. I've been browsing the excusions available and notice that many have a fee.

For example Rome has 10 excursions (excluding the private ones) but of the 10 only 4 are "free"

If this truly the situation I'm beginning to re-think that RSSC may not be the all-inclusive cruise that I thought it was.

Has that been your experiance?

With thanks

Yes the tours are free - if they fill your idea of what you want to do. Otherwise you can upgrade. We like to wander around. Most of the tours include transportation, an overview or two and sometimes a little bit more. The problem we found is that your miss a lot on many of the excurisons. We took a free one in Florence, Venice, Dubrovnik, Monte Carlo this year.

We love cruising on Regent and we are gold but we are looking at alternatives with lower fares because they aren't free. You pay for them included in your fare. They've made Regent more expensive.

[quote=dibati2;31721551For example Rome has 10 excursions (excluding the private ones) but of the 10 only 4 are "free"

Has that been your experiance?

With thanks

On a 12-day cruise we'll be on next year from Iceland through Norway to Copenhagen, they are offering 35 free and 8 additional charge excursions.

Rome may not be representative. Did you look at the other ports on that cruise?

I want to make sure I'm reading Regent's info properly. Under excursions, there are executive excursions which appear to be for private tours and cost a bundle, and the remainder are either free or have a fee.

Regent advertises "Free Unlimited Shore Excursions" but if I'm reading their website properly its really free LIMITED shore excursions as in free from a limited selection of shore excursions.

BTW I wish they would drop this FREE this that and the other we all know it's not free at all

I want to make sure I'm reading Regent's info properly. Under excursions, there are executive excursions which appear to be for private tours and cost a bundle, and the remainder are either free or have a fee.

Regent advertises "Free Unlimited Shore Excursions" but if I'm reading their website properly its really free LIMITED shore excursions as in free from a limited selection of shore excursions.

BTW I wish they would drop this FREE this that and the other we all know it's not free at all

Yup, think you've got it. There are free (included) excursions that are generally listed at less than $150 retail by Regent. Then there are the excursions with Regent defined retail above $150 where you pay an additional amount of which how Regent calculates the add-on is a mystery to all of us. By the way, Regent's estimate of retail is probably overstated by about 50% or so.

Then they have the "executive" excursions with private car and as you stated private tours at extremely high prices for half and full days.

And you are absolutely correct about the almost complete misuse of the word "free". There is another on the Regent board where an Aussie is probably going to sue Regent for using the word "free" when it isn't and based on the extremely strong consumer protection laws in Australia may have some success. We shall hopefully see the results and hopefully it will change Regent's advertising methods.

Thanks RallyDave. I read the Aussie thread you refer too. That cruiser is right and I wish him/her luck challenging Regent on their advertising.

Changing the word to "included" instead of "free" would be more appropriate. Ditto for the so-called 2 for 1 deal. I mean really, who would pay $16,000 for a low category cabin.

Dispite all the silly advertising I'm still looking forward to an exceptional cruise experiance.

I personally don't get you guys -- Of course it isn't all free - as in not cost -- it's all inclusive - meaning you are paying for things some where -- If you want something for nothing you should take your own ship I guess. Traveling from Barcelona - Istanbul and most of the excusions are in fact no price -- the expensive ones do have a slight charge -- I just don't understand the tone of getting ripped off. And suing for the use of 'free' -- get a life!!!!!!!!!!!

I personally don't get you guys -- Of course it isn't all free - as in not cost -- it's all inclusive - meaning you are paying for things some where -- If you want something for nothing you should take your own ship I guess. Traveling from Barcelona - Istanbul and most of the excusions are in fact no price -- the expensive ones do have a slight charge -- I just don't understand the tone of getting ripped off. And suing for the use of 'free' -- get a life!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with you 100% Some posters need to consistently remind us that they feel that Regent's advertising is incorrect or misleading. Hopefully, in 2012, everyone will get over it. Regent is the only luxury cruise line that includes most excursions ("free" or no additional cost), airfare on ALL cruises and a pre-night hotel stay. I'm sure that Regent has extremely astute lawyers that can defend their statements.

In terms of the excursions in Rome, it is not typical to have so few "free" excursions. This may have to do with the cost of traveling from the ship to the sites in Rome as well as the exchange rate from the U.S. dollar to Euros. I find that excursions in Europe are much more expensive than in other parts of the world. In the Middle East, earlier this month, we were taking 11 hour excursions that included lunch at no additional cost. Our April, 2012 cruise (mostly Europe) has a cost for many excursions. Still, Regent has absolutely no competition in terms of what they charge for excursions.

Esimon, thank you for your reply. I'm sorry if my question has upset you. I thought a forum like this was where I could get answers from other travellers who know more than I.

I have a life, - a good one I think, but perhaps I'm spending too much of it here at cruise critic

Semantics. It's not us that says they are free. As a matter of fact there is an ad from Regent right above where I am posting this. It says FREE. Their words. Free Unlimited Shore Excursions. Free Luxury Hotel Package. Free Roundtrip Air. They won't give me that if I don't pay them roughly $5000 for a week's cruise. So if you define FREE it does mean I don't have to pay for it. And ironically they'll pay me back not to use it. This is an insult really to anyone with any intelligence.

Not sure how any of this old argument (which I agree with) is helping the OP. The first thing you see on the Regent website is "It's all Included". Of course the cost of food, beverages, airfare, tips and excursions are included in the price you pay. In addition to the included items, there are some that have a pricetag (such as premium wines and alcohol and some excursions). Really wish Regent would change the one word .. . . if only to stop the discussion.

They won't give me that if I don't pay them roughly $5000 for a week's cruise. So if you define FREE it does mean I don't have to pay for it. And ironically they'll pay me back not to use it. This is an insult really to anyone with any intelligence.

Getting back to the information-

I wasn't aware they pay back anything regarding excursions..? What exactly do they pay back?

This may solve part of our problem with booking with them, bc there's a few excursions that we only want to do privately. However if we end up booking so many private ones then Regent just won't be worth it to us.

Getting back to the information-

I wasn't aware they pay back anything regarding excursions..? What exactly do they pay back?

This may solve part of our problem with booking with them, bc there's a few excursions that we only want to do privately. However if we end up booking so many private ones then Regent just won't be worth it to us.

Sorry scarlett81, no paybacks for excursions. Regent will give you money back if you don't take their flights or pre-cruise hotel. That's all the money back I know of. That's a big part of the "free" issue and confusion. There are many things advertised as "free" yet two of the items that are advertised as "free" you can get money back if not using them but, most of the "free" things you can't get money back??:eek:

And tc, what are your true feelings on this subject; you have posted recently that you agree that the use of "free" is an issue yet earlier last evening you agreed with another poster taking those of us to task who have a problem with the use of the word "free"?

Agreeing to both sides of an issues doesn't make any sense.

I am just saying I don't understand the discourse here. you can say what you want but it does appear to me to be whining as much as discussion about what seems obvious to me -- don't mean to offend -- They are expensive cruises -- 2,000 on main line -- 5,000 on luxury-- you are paying for something -- If pre paying for air, transfers, lots of wine and alcohol ( although not top top shelf if you need that) and many many excusions (although not top shelf if you need that) the other lines offer great pay as you go cruise line -- I like HAL myself. Looking forward to my first Regent -- new what i was paying for and am happy to do it this time.

Sorry scarlett81, no paybacks for excursions. Regent will give you money back if you don't take their flights or pre-cruise hotel. That's all the money back I know of. That's a big part of the "free" issue and confusion. There are many things advertised as "free" yet two of the items that are advertised as "free" you can get money back if not using them but, most of the "free" things you can't get money back??:eek:

And tc, what are your true feelings on this subject; you have posted recently that you agree that the use of "free" is an issue yet earlier last evening you agreed with another poster taking those of us to task who have a problem with the use of the word "free"?

Agreeing to both sides of an issues doesn't make any sense.

You pay for everything rallydave. The word 'free' should be dropped and be replaced by 'included'. My guess is that Regent simply estimates what passengers would pay if buying 2 excursions per day at the dock instead of on the ship or $275. Multiply that finding by the number of days - 10 days X $275 = $2,750 per passenger. Round this figure to a Regent budget per passenger per 10 day voyage to be $3,000. Regent likely assumes that 15% of all passengers will stay aboard at many ports and their daily fees of $275 become all profit. For a 400 passenger ship multiply the 60 passengers staying on board against the daily rate of $275 and it would appear that Regent keeps $16,500 for just the 'included' excursion package. Interesting figures when you figure that Regent begins the 10 day cruise on the 400 passenger ship having collected $3,000 from 400 people for a total working excursion budget of $120,000. I also assume that Regent gets group rates for many of the excursions thus providing even more profit.

I'm in no way complaining about Regent excursions. I like the system as it now stands. In fact, I avail myself to them as much as is possible. I have no insider information regarding the figures I have displayed and I suspect I am not even close to the arrangements Regent has put in place. I composed it as part of the discussion regarding using the words 'free' and 'included'. Jack Morris

2old4this; Totally agree with your premise that nothing is "free" on Regent. The use of the word is marketing and I found a case where they use that to deny refunds for a failed excursion. As to your comments about how they calculate excursion prices, You have a good start with your calculations but, highly doubt they calculate using every day, most probably port days, 2 excursions per day is terribly high as it is extremely rare to be able to do 2 excursions in a day and your dollar figures are probably high as well, even considering the inflated suggested retail prices for excursions.

Your methodology is fine, just the numbers being too high. While most cruises have rates in the $800 to $1,000 per person per day, we have managed to go on or scheduled on 3 Regent cruises with per diems in the $300 to $400 per person per day range which validates your too high figures but, pretty good rationale.

Thanks for the post and information.

Lets get back to Rome ---

either you want to be taken around to places like St Peters etc or you would like to do it on your own. there is, I think, that option. In that a bus transfer is provided from Civitavecchia to Rome and back to the ship. You get around 10hrs in Rome. (Maybe a bit less?) that is "included" - I don't want to get into the above debate but "included" is a lot better than "free"...

if you want to see Rome on your own nothing could be easier. Either get a good guidebook, learn some Italian (not so hard!) and smile a lot. Or, get a tour service to meet you at the place where the Regent bus will drop you.

If you would prefer not to have so much time in Rome, then take the bus up and tell the courier that you will not be taking it back, you will take the train. Then just go to Termini when you have had enough and take a train back to Civitavecchia. For train schedules see

http://www.trenitalia.com

Buon viaggio!

2old4this; Totally agree with your premise that nothing is "free" on Regent. The use of the word is marketing and I found a case where they use that to deny refunds for a failed excursion. As to your comments about how they calculate excursion prices, You have a good start with your calculations but, highly doubt they calculate using every day, most probably port days, 2 excursions per day is terribly high as it is extremely rare to be able to do 2 excursions in a day and your dollar figures are probably high as well, even considering the inflated suggested retail prices for excursions.

Your methodology is fine, just the numbers being too high. While most cruises have rates in the $800 to $1,000 per person per day, we have managed to go on or scheduled on 3 Regent cruises with per diems in the $300 to $400 per person per day range which validates your too high figures but, pretty good rationale.

Thanks for the post and information.

If anyone from Regent management has noted my calculations I am sure he/she was provided a good laugh. You might take my calculations and drop in your figures to see what the profits may be. I think you will agree that Regent is Very happy with their 'included' excursions because of the profit motive. I'm happy, too, being a lazy cuss who leaves such things as port arrangements to folks who have studied the market. Jack Morris

If anyone from Regent management has noted my calculations I am sure he/she was provided a good laugh. You might take my calculations and drop in your figures to see what the profits may be. I think you will agree that Regent is Very happy with their 'included' excursions because of the profit motive. I'm happy, too, being a lazy cuss who leaves such things as port arrangements to folks who have studied the market. Jack Morris

Yes, a good laugh for sure. Seem to remember Mark Conroy saying at one Town Hall that they need to be at 80% occupancy to break even. Sure a big part of Regent's profitability comes from Destinations and also sure Destinations profitability is higher than any other single department and without the included excursions, am sure the occupancy for profitability would need to be 90% or so. With that, highly doubt Regent will remove the included excursions unless occupancy drops too far.

That being said, along with many others, would prefer excursions be non-inclusive but, won't harp on that or change what cruise line we book based on that single issue.

With that, perhaps we should agree with Gerry and turn this thread back to helping people with the included excursions especially Rome.

nice web site Ham -- but it's in Italian -- and I havent' learned any yet LOLs

what does it cost to take the train back to the ship, how far is the ship from where the train stops, and if we want to see most of the hot spots (our daughter has maped it out well for us) is 10 hours way too much? Want to really enjoy it but don't want to feel stranded there either.

We traveled on Crystal for a month last winter and paid a lot for our basic travel, plus flights to/from Auckland, New Zealand and Singapore, plus 2 nites precruise hotel, plus $10+ for each drink at dinner, plus TWICE as much for each excursion we took as the fee excursions on Regent. plus $500 for internet service, plus tips for so many people, etc--and you all are griping about having to pay more for a few excursions, which are HALF the cost of a basic Crystal excursion. We went on Crystal because Regent didn't have the itinerary we needed and actually had a wonderful time, despite paying a lot more than the Regent would have cost. This April Crystal is including wine, tips and a few other 'inclusive" bits--but it still won't have what Regent gives us. SO- enjoy your travels, whether "included" or "free".

nice web site Ham -- but it's in Italian -- and I havent' learned any yet LOLs

what does it cost to take the train back to the ship, how far is the ship from where the train stops, and if we want to see most of the hot spots (our daughter has maped it out well for us) is 10 hours way too much? Want to really enjoy it but don't want to feel stranded there either.

It takes approximately an hour and a half to get to Rome from the cruise port by train. Are you going to spend the night before the cruise in a hotel in Rome? That would give some additional time to visit hot spots! Hopefully this site will help you:

http://www.raileurope.com/europe-travel-guide/italy/how-to-book-train.html?from0=CIVITAVECCHIA&to0=ROME&WT.mc_id=google.Top+City+Pair.cpc&WT.campaign=3344&WT.term=train+from+civitavecchia+to+rome&WT.term=train%20from%20civitavecchia%20to%20rome&WT.campaign=Top+City+Pairs+Campaign&WT.content=lgoG1esN&WT.source=google&WT.medium=cpc&WT.srch=1

Archived