Carnival Flat Iron Steak

finditapt

OT:

I use flat iron to make Fajitas. I marinate it in a combination of fresh crushed garlic, fat free italian dressing, soy sauce, and worstershire.

after it marinades for 24 hours(at least), dab it dry with a paper towel, season it with seasoned salt and crushed black pepper, and grill it up a nice medium rare. slice thin, serve with flour tortillas, cilantro, fresh lime, and a little cholula.

So, back to my original post...I'm guessing no one has the recipe for how they cooked it or the gravy? I know sometimes on these boards, people will list Carnival's recipes for some of the items that were served on their ships.

I actually have a Carnival Cookbook at home we received at the Chef's Table, I'll see if it is in there and let you know.

I'm not a seafood eater, and usually end up ordering the flat iron steak 4-5 times on my cruise. I order it medium well...no it's not the greatest steak i have ever had...rarely find a steak that compares to dh's grilling...but the flat iron steak is better than sitting at home and cooking for myself lol. :eek:

i've never had an issue with my steak.

Still chewing my last bite but only been a month now :) Takes me back to being served, not cooking, being. On the ship....Oh flat Pan jerky I love you....awww..memories...don't worry I remove it to floss and brush....

I actually have a Carnival Cookbook at home we received at the Chef's Table, I'll see if it is in there and let you know.

Thank you so much! It looked like the same gravy that my husband had on a couple of his meats, too. Can you see if these 2 others are in your cookbook as well? I have not been able to find them online, well, I've found plenty online, but not Carnival's recipe...Bolognese sauce(this was in the Pasta Bar), Beef au jus(that was served on the Prime Rib, but looks the same as the gravy I'm looking for).

Edited by finditapt

I have had flat iron streak on 4 different Carnival ships and bought it from Schwans. It was more hit than miss in the MDR and always good at home. I fixed mine on a George Foreman grill at home with a homemade rub that is never the same twice. Always ask for medium rare in the MDR. Do not always get it that way. Seems to be tougher the more it is cooked...to me.

Thank you so much! It looked like the same gravy that my husband had on a couple of his meats, too. Can you see if these 2 others are in your cookbook as well? I have not been able to find them online, well, I've found plenty online, but not Carnival's recipe...Bolognese sauce(this was in the Pasta Bar), Beef au jus(that was served on the Prime Rib, but looks the same as the gravy I'm looking for).

Well, I found the Carnival Creations cookbook, but unfortunately it does not have the Flat Iron Steak in there.

Sorry

• 5 years later...

Ladies and Gentlemen please prepare yourselves for the testimony I have to give. I sailed on the Carnival Liberty this past weekend on a 4 day 3 night trip to Nassau and ate at the Golden Olympian each night. The menu seemed to be just basic meals you could get at Applebee's or any other small town 'fancy' restaraunt. That is, until I saw the flat iron steak. Now sure I've had many steaks in my short 21 years of living but for what comes next ladies and gentlemen, has changed me. So there I was sitting at my table when the two waiters assigned to my table blessed me with, you guessed it, the flat iron steak. The beauty was charred just enough on the outside to leave a crunch that one could only dream of. The inside was just right, it was tender and juicy and everything holy and righteous. The first bite was like the first time I heard the Beatles. The divine meat that lay before me was accompanied by a wholesome baked potato and a cup of broccoli. Julius and I Wayna were the waiters names and they were fantastic they kept the flat iron steaks rolling. I always had A1 steak sauce thanks to these two carnival cruise line masters. I'll never forget this weekend, the weekend I became even more proud to be an American.

I agree, one tough piece of meat!!:eek:

No disrespect to anyone who had a great flat iron steak. BUT.....my experience of ordering this on 2 different Carnival ships was the same as vivavegas. TOUGH, I would not order it a third time, that's for sure.:o:o

YES, I'm aware Carnival is not in the gourmet dining universe. That's fine too. I always find something to eat. Just not a tough piece of cow leather. :D

Bobbi

The key to enjoying this steak is to remember that the MDR uses the european method of judging meat doneness. the Europe method tends to be one level more done, than the american method. So if you want a "medium" done steak, order it "Medium Rare".

If you order it "well done", you will have to brush the ashes off it before you can eat it. Its charcoal at that point.

MMmmm...... what source did you find? I want more info on the European Method of judging meat tenderness. Is it on the Carnival menu? I guess I need to read the fine print. I'm going in October and will inquire about their European Method. But, till then ...you could help out...thanks! :D

Published source of this information WikipediA:

"This cut of steak is from the shoulder of a beef animal.[2] It is located adjacent to the heart of the shoulder clod, under the seven or paddle bone (shoulder blade or scapula). The steak encompasses the infraspinatus muscles of beef, and one may see this displayed in some butcher shops and meat markets as a "top blade" roast. Anatomically, the muscle forms the dorsal part of the rotator cuff of the steer. This cut is anatomically distinct from the shoulder tender, which lies directly below it and is the teres major.

Flat iron steaks usually have a significant amount of marbling. To make it more marketable, the steak, which has the fascia dividing the infraspinatus within it, has increasingly been cut as two flatter steaks, each corresponding to one muscle, with the tough fascia removed. Steaks that are cross cut from this muscle are called top blade steaks or patio steaks. As a whole cut of meat, it usually weighs around two to three pounds; the entire top blade usually yields four steaks between eight and 12 ounces each. "

I've read from multiple sources that if the fascia is not carefully removed it results in the steak being tough. When properly butchered the flat iron is a tender and tasty piece of beef.

Find it very hit and miss. Think that if I ever order again would pair with second entre in case it is too tough to save wait staff an extra trip to galley when I decide i cannot eat it

This was my experience as well. Out of all my CCL cruises' date=' only once have I had to request another Flat Iron steak. The first one was so tough, I couldn't cut it. [b']I asked for another[/b] and in about 5 mins, had another one. Much more tender and cooked med rare as I requested. :)

If you order the flat iron, as another poster suggested, have a second entree in mind, just in case. The waiters will bring it when you ask ( right away or after trying the steak etc..)

I find the Flat Iron to be similar to a London Broil. As for cooking it, IIRC it appears to be grilled, but not sure.

You can ask when ordering about how they cook it, and request it cooked your way. Whether they will follow your request, is another question.:)

Published source of this information WikipediA:

"This cut of steak is from the shoulder of a beef animal.[2] It is located adjacent to the heart of the shoulder clod, under the seven or paddle bone (shoulder blade or scapula). The steak encompasses the infraspinatus muscles of beef, and one may see this displayed in some butcher shops and meat markets as a "top blade" roast. Anatomically, the muscle forms the dorsal part of the rotator cuff of the steer. This cut is anatomically distinct from the shoulder tender, which lies directly below it and is the teres major.

Flat iron steaks usually have a significant amount of marbling. To make it more marketable, the steak, which has the fascia dividing the infraspinatus within it, has increasingly been cut as two flatter steaks, each corresponding to one muscle, with the tough fascia removed. Steaks that are cross cut from this muscle are called top blade steaks or patio steaks. As a whole cut of meat, it usually weighs around two to three pounds; the entire top blade usually yields four steaks between eight and 12 ounces each. "

I've read from multiple sources that if the fascia is not carefully removed it results in the steak being tough. When properly butchered the flat iron is a tender and tasty piece of beef.

Hence the problem with the inconsistency from ship to ship. I am sure that these steaks are cut onboard, as that saves money. So if you have a chef who is not the greatest as a meat cutter, you will have steaks that are tougher. When I order these steaks at the butcher shop, they are consistently good with great flavor and tender. It's all in knowing how to cut and prepare them.

Hence the problem with the inconsistency from ship to ship. I am sure that these steaks are cut onboard, as that saves money. So if you have a chef who is not the greatest as a meat cutter, you will have steaks that are tougher. When I order these steaks at the butcher shop, they are consistently good with great flavor and tender. It's all in knowing how to cut and prepare them.

I wouldn't be too sure about the steaks being butchered aboard the ships. Yes, Carnival would save money but there are many ways they could save money but choose not to do so. I had a Carnival executive chef tell me the reason I could not get plain horseradish on the ship was because he orders pre-mixed horseradish sauce in 5 gallon buckets. This is the sauce that is sour cream, horseradish, salt and a touch of Worcestershire sauce. When I stated the obvious cost savings he said the efficiency of his galley operation and labor savings out weighed the small cost savings from making the sauce on board. It is a fact that I was told this, whether what I was told is fact is open to debate.

Since then I have asked wait staff in the MDR for plain horseradish and have received it promptly. So who knows? Maybe they butcher, maybe they do on some ships and not others, maybe never.