PSA - You CAN lock yourself out on your balcony

Lyndsay

We were on Oasis last week (Dec 17-24). We had a port-side balcony cabin on Deck 7.

It was a windy night but that didn't stop us from going out on the balcony for a smoke! It was after dinner, we came back and Romaro (our attendant) was cleaning our room but said he'd come back in an hour when we were out again.

As smokers know, you have to keep your balcony door shut while you're smoking out there. No problem. Well we're ready to come back in... "Hey Carrie, why is the door handle sideways and not up?"

Oh crap.

We pulled. We pushed. We yelled, we screamed. We killed ourselves laughing.

After about 20 minutes and trying to shout at other balcony goers, we had success - someone aft of us on Deck 8 made out my SOS calls and called beloved Romaro saved us.

We joked, this must happen often eh?

No. It's never happened before.

HAHA!

He sent maintenance to look at our door, but there was no issue.

Anyway, that's my story and PSA. You can absolutely lock yourself out on your balcony.

:)

It happened to my sister and I on the Mariner. We yelled and people kept waving at us and smiling finally our other sister was in a cabin 4 or 5 doors down and recognized our voices or yells:) and called our room steward. She came and had to use some kind of a key on the side of the slider. So we are kind of worried about it now but as you said if you are smokers you have to close it all the way:)

Are you sure your steward didn't inadvertently lock you out? That happened to me twice on my last cruise. They are just so used to locking the balcony door that they do it without thinking. The last time, we'd even had a fairly long conversation before he went inside and turned the handle.

Are you sure your steward didn't inadvertently lock you out? That happened to me twice on my last cruise. They are just so used to locking the balcony door that they do it without thinking. The last time, we'd even had a fairly long conversation before he went inside and turned the handle.

He was out of our room before we went outside. It was absolutely (somehow) of our own doing.

It's a fun story anyway!!

Best guess.... if it was really windy then pressure difference inside to out could have caused door to vibrate - wiggling the handle (via gravity) to down position. Might not take full engagement to lock just enough to keep door form opening. So perhaps extra caution when windy is in order.

Some of the older ships have a handle outside too. We were on the Adventure three weeks ago and the balcony door had handles on both sides. The newer ships A/C's stop running when the balcony door is open - probably a good idea but having a handle on both sides of the door should be standard.

Oh I missed that thread! Anyone have the link handy? I did a quick search but can't seem to find it.

We really did find it funny. We were never pissed off or panicked at all. We knew someone would come eventually and there are a LOT of worse places to be stuck!

Our cabin neighbors were locked out on their balcony on Brilliance of the Seas. Apparently they were napping on the loungers when the steward came into clean. He didn't notice them out there, I guess, and locked the sliding door. :rolleyes:

I came outside and they were yelling for help. Fortunately the husband had his seapass card in his pocket so they passed it to me and I went around and entered their cabin and let them back in.

He wasn't a very good room steward on that cruise. :D

Oh I missed that thread! Anyone have the link handy? I did a quick search but can't seem to find it.

We really did find it funny. We were never pissed off or panicked at all. We knew someone would come eventually and there are a LOT of worse places to be stuck!

Here is the link to the recent thread about being locked out on the balcony on Oasis: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1532311&highlight=sister+s+purse

Archived