Champagne cost?

Bogos22

My Dh and I will be celebrating our 15th anniv when we sail and I'd love to get a glass of champagne when we first get on board. Can anyone tell me what the cost range is for a glass vs a bottle?

Can you also recommend a brand for me? I don't like the really dry ones.

Thanks!

My favorite champagne is Veuve Cliquot and I can buy a bottle here in SC for about 53.00. I had 2 glasses on Liberty last year and they cost $25 each. :eek:

None of the above posters actually mentioned any true champagnes, just sparkling wines.

My Dh and I will be celebrating our 15th anniv when we sail and I'd love to get a glass of champagne when we first get on board. Can anyone tell me what the cost range is for a glass vs a bottle?

Can you also recommend a brand for me? I don't like the really dry ones.

Thanks!

I don't think you save much by purchasing a bottle vs buying by the glass..

I agree Veuve Cliquot champagne is very nice roughly $90 a bottle and we purchased as a real treat a bottle of Dom Perignon $200, :eek: most will charge 15% service charge on top.... This time for our next sailing I bought a bottle of Moet Chandon via gifts and gear for roughly $75 which is really nice.... What ever you decide have a wonderful trip :D.... Mark

My favorite champagne is Veuve Cliquot and I can buy a bottle here in SC for about 53.00. I had 2 glasses on Liberty last year and they cost $25 each. :eek:

None of the above posters actually mentioned any true champagnes, just sparkling wines.

Was thinking the same thing! Asti is straight up sugar water. No offense though... drink what you like. It's cheaper to buy by the bottle than by the glass onboard in my experience. If you'll drink it all I'd go that route. There are hand pumps you can buy to save the bubbles for a day or so if you won't. You just have to pump two or three times periodically. Oh... and you can get the bottle back to your room. Sometimes you can't.

BTW, La Grand Dame just went on sale here in PA... down to $110.00. Very tempted.

I don't remember the Veuve Cliquot being that expensive but I could be mistaken. Regardless, this is a great time to use those BOGO coupons!!

I agree Veuve Cliquot champagne is very nice roughly $90 a bottle and we purchased as a real treat a bottle of Dom Perignon $200, :eek: most will charge 15% service charge on top.... This time for our next sailing I bought a bottle of Moet Chandon via gifts and gear for roughly $75 which is really nice.... What ever you decide have a wonderful trip :D.... Mark

Yes, I am looking for a champagne and not a sparkling wine. Is the Moët Chandon very dry?

From their list it doesn't appear they offer and "real" champagne that you would enjoy. Brut is a dry wine and some have sharp notes which is appealing to some but a major turn off if you prefer a sweeter wine. I personally think Asti would fit the bill. If you really enjoy sweet wins try an ice wine or deseart wine :-)

Yes, I am looking for a champagne and not a sparkling wine. Is the Moët Chandon very dry?

Moet Chandon is a VERY good french-style sparkling wine.

The name "champagne" is an "appellation d'origine controlée", which describes sparkling wines made in the region of Champagne in France, and all countries that respect that name have signed a contract/agreement to abide by it.

Spanish sparkling wines, for instance, are called Cava.

The United States didn't sign it. Therefore American vintners are free to call anything champagne.

These days, there are several American-French partnerships, such as Moet of Champagne and Chandon of Napa Valley. (another is Piper Heidsick & Sonoma).

Moet Chandon is a VERY good french-style sparkling wine.

The name "champagne" is an "appellation d'origine controlée", which describes sparkling wines made in the region of Champagne in France, and all countries that respect that name have signed a contract/agreement to abide by it.

Spanish sparkling wines, for instance, are called Cava.

Ditto to MerionMom -- there is nothing wrong with sparkling wine. It's just not made in the Champagne region of France. There are some fantastic French sparkling wines that *not* from Champagne (called cremants) that are just as good, but can't be called champagne. And in many bars, if you ask for sparkling wine, the bartender won't even realize what you are talking about because everyone in the US calls white wine with bubbles champagne.

Most French champagnes probably will be too dry for your tastes. Your best bet would be to find the champagne bar when you board and check out their menu. Look for something labeled extra brut (sweeter than brut) or demi-sec (even sweeter still). If you want something sweeter still, your best then would be the M&R Asti Spumante.

And if you spot one on board, a prosecco might also work. This is one type of sparkling wine from Italy, made in the French champagne traditional method. They aren't necessarily sweet, but they are very fruit-forward, so they give them impression of being sweeter.

The United States didn't sign it. Therefore American vintners are free to call anything champagne.

MerionMom: not many people know this detail - nice job! I love when people correct me and say that 'it's not from France so it can't be champagne!' Wrong! This is one instance in which, for the US, the rules truly don't apply to us!

You must be a wineau, just like me! :D

I love when people correct me and say that 'it's not from France so it can't be champagne!' Wrong! This is one instance in which, for the US, the rules truly don't apply to us!

While this is true, I would add that most of the serious California wineries that practice the traditional "methode champenoise" are very clear about referring to their sparkling wines as just that, and not using the term "champagne". For example, both Schramsberg and Iron Horse produce world class traditional method sparkling wines that compare very favorably with French champagnes, but they will not call their wines Champagne.

We have found that the Champagne Bars on Royal are pretty consistent about offering a nice selection of champagnes and sparkling wines, and that the bartenders there can be very helpful in assisting you in finding one you will enjoy.

Congrats and enjoy!

bobj

While this is true, I would add that most of the serious California wineries that practice the traditional "methode champenoise" are very clear about referring to their sparkling wines as just that, and not using the term "champagne". For example, both Schramsberg and Iron Horse produce world class traditional method sparkling wines that compare very favorably with French champagnes, but they will not call their wines Champagne.

bobj

And while this is true, it's not *always* true. The point was that they are not required to not use the term champagne.

MerionMom: not many people know this detail - nice job! I love when people correct me and say that 'it's not from France so it can't be champagne!' Wrong! This is one instance in which, for the US, the rules truly don't apply to us!

You must be a wineau, just like me! :D

While it is true that America did not sign the Treaty of Madrid, I thought the American authorities do now respect the European Protected Designation of Origin regulations to an extent? As I understood it, only wines being made before 2006 can continue to use the word champagne (and some other AOC designations), and only if they used it before that date. New wines produced in the States cannot be called champagne.

Oh, and extra brut is drier than brut. Perhaps you were thinking of extra dry, which is the next sweeter than brut (although obviously still not very sweet!)

And finally (!), Prosecco is NOT made using the "French champagne traditional method" - they use the Charmat method, where the secondary fermentation takes place in tanks, not the bottle. Asti is also made in this way.

Cheers!

David

I forgot all about the champagne bar!!!! How does it work? Do they sell it by the glass or by the bottle or both? If you buy a bottle, can you take it with you to finish back in your room or elsewhere?

I forgot all about the champagne bar!!!! How does it work? Do they sell it by the glass or by the bottle or both? If you buy a bottle, can you take it with you to finish back in your room or elsewhere?

They normally sell it by the glass or bottle and yes once you have paid for it take it to room and enjoy :D.... plus if you like chocolate covered strawberries mention its a special occasion and they may bring you some free .....

I think I paid roughly $15 a glass plus 15% (depending which ship your sailing on)

Both.

Ah, for the good old days of the "Champagne Card". :p ;)

Here's one version of the Champagne Bar menu. They have and do change it from time to time (this is a year or two old), but this gives you an idea of the range of choices available.

http://inlinethumb32.webshots.com/38815/1278126440042664116S600x600Q85.jpg

bobj

Just what I was looking for. Thank you.

Archived