Just back from Avalon Panorama

caviargal

I seemed to have "missed something here"? I just went back to the original post from Caviargal on Page 1 and have read the entire thread again. Her original post was actually pretty complimentary of Avalon and the condition of the new ship - Panaroma. She praised the amenities, the staff, the staterooms and the overall appearace. I didn't see any mention in her post about water levels or problems in Vienna. Did I miss something?

The main point of her review was that based upon her past (positive) experience/s with Avalon, she felt that the overall quality of food and wine served on this particular cruise/ship had greatly deteriorated below the level she had previously encountered and had come to expect from Avalon. Several of the first follow-on posts (including mine) stayed on this same theme and were wondering if this marked a general "trend" across Avalon's fleet, or whether it was a "once-only" regretable occurence. We expressed the hope that Avalon was going to investigate and quickly correct. I think we've all been waiting for some reply and reassurance from Avalon. This was not something that just happened to one cruiser. Presumably, all the guests were being served the same food and wine.

We all hope that what Caviargal experienced in the "wine and food" department on that particular ship and on that particular cruise would not be repeated on other cruises and ships in the fleet. We are looking to Avalon for some reassurance that we made the "right choice" in our cruise selection/s and that they are committed (for the sake of their customer base) to maintaining their own past-stated level of excellence in the food and wine department. Nobody is blaming them for things beyond their control (like water levels) . It seems that Goose30 and Nordski's posts started to move the orginal thread in a different direction. Do I have this all wrong? Regards to all.

No, you don't have it wrong. I accept that the topic has strayed and I apologize for contributing to it.

My response was an attempt to address the review cited by keenmolly which was very critical of Avalon, In my view, and I think a view shared by caviargirl in a post above, the review was deeply influenced by the drought-induced issues faced by that particular cruiser.

I should have limited my comments to that aspect and am sorry that my post distracted from caviargirl's original post.

My response was an attempt to address the review cited by keenmolly which was very critical of Avalon, In my view, and I think a view shared by caviargirl in a post above, the review was deeply influenced by the drought-induced issues faced by that particular cruiser.

nordski is correct - I was referring to the referenced review as well.

(/QUOTE)

Should you have any further questions or concerns, we invite you to "like" our Facebook page (if you haven't done so already) - https://www.facebook.com/AvalonWaterways. There, our cruisers (and our team) are always happy to provide insight and feedback. Or, if you'd prefer to speak with someone directly, feel free to contact us, toll-free, at 877.380.1535. Thank you!

Could anyone tell us what country this phone is in as they do not give any international codes and dialling the number as displayed results in nothing we are calling from Australia and would need to take time differences into account.

We feel that perhaps we need to talk to someone rather than wait for a response on this forum but will keep you all informed.

(/QUOTE)

Should you have any further questions or concerns, we invite you to "like" our Facebook page (if you haven't done so already) - https://www.facebook.com/AvalonWaterways. There, our cruisers (and our team) are always happy to provide insight and feedback. Or, if you'd prefer to speak with someone directly, feel free to contact us, toll-free, at 877.380.1535. Thank you!

"Could anyone tell us what country this phone is in as they do not give any international codes and dialling the number as displayed results in nothing we are calling from Australia and would need to take time differences into account.

We feel that perhaps we need to talk to someone rather than wait for a response on this forum but will keep you all informed.

"

That phone number is in the USA, a toll free number.

Hi, Keenemolly! The phone number listed is a U.S. number. "877" is a US area code. So you'd first have to dial your overseas access number and then, I guess, "01" (?) for the U.S. Country Code, and then 877......... Good luck. From a "Half-Aussie" (my Mom was an Australian war-bride) from WA (Albany). She came to the US in 1946. My Dad was stationed at the Submarine Base in Fremantle during the war.

Hi, Keenemolly! The phone number listed is a U.S. number. "877" is a US area code. So you'd first have to dial your overseas access number and then, I guess, "01" (?) for the U.S. Country Code, and then 877......... Good luck. From a "Half-Aussie" (my Mom was an Australian war-bride) from WA (Albany). She came to the US in 1946. My Dad was stationed at the Submarine Base in Fremantle during the war.

Since that is a US Toll Free number it is not accessible from other countries.

Hi All

We have contacted the Avalon rep in Sydney Australia1300 230 234 and had a good chat and have directed him to this forum, his response was that he would talk to his superiors and attempt to have Avalon post the end result and action taken by them in regard to the quality and quantity of both food and wine on the Panorama .we will await their response.

Hello again. While it seems this board has followed several different threads and topics, there was a request that Avalon respond specifically to dining options. We're happy to do so and even more happy to tell you that our very popular dining program has not changed (we have spoken directly with "caviar girl" to discuss her very specific cruise experience).

Below is an overview of some of the enhancements we made to our dining program in 2011 - a program that is firmly in place for 2012:

With help from our top European chefs, we offer Avalon cruisers the dining experience they crave. Some of the highlights of our vast menu of dining choices include:

- Giving cruisers a choice of appetizer, salad, entrée, cheese and dessert

- Featuring local fare options at each meal

- Highlighting sustainable cuisine on our French itineraries

- Providing cruisers more healthy menu options including low calorie, low sodium and glucose-free cuisine

- Introducing Night Fare, served at 10:30 PM to cap off each day with a treat

And, with Avalon, the “most important meal of the day” really is the “most important.” In addition to providing our travelers Early- and Late-riser breakfast options, we provide complimentary sparkling wine – great for Mimosas – and made-to-order egg stations as well as a robust breakfast buffet. Guests can also order continental breakfast in their room and have drinks delivered throughout the day.

Avalon’s menu of options doesn’t begin and end with food. In addition to offering cruisers the customary complimentary wine, beer or soft drinks at dinner and soft drinks included with lunch, we feature a Cocktail Hour on our ships for cruisers interested in enjoying local wine, beer and other spirits before dinner, while socializing with fellow travelers. Complimentary cappuccino, espresso, latte and premium, Lavazza coffee are also provided to our passengers throughout the day. And, if that’s not enough, we provide cruisers alcoholic and non-alcoholic drink packages that can be pre-purchased.

For more information about our dining program - and the cruise experience we offer - we invite you to visit http://www.avalonwaterways.com/Experience-Avalon/. We also encourage you to call us (or your preferred travel agent) directly with additional questions and/or concerns. If you're in the US, you can reach us toll-free at 877.797.8791. Thank you.

In regards to Avalon's message about concentrating on the food & drink aspect of their cruises, what does "sustainable cuisine" on French itineraries mean? I'm planning a Rhone river cruise in 2012, and I'm looking at Avalon, AMA, Viking, and Tauck for which one provides the best (or best regarded) French/continental food & wine. "sustainable" sounds like some currently fashionable "politically correct" nonsense word. When I eat a lamb chop I'm very certain that particular lamb is/was not sustainable, but the heard can continue to propagate. What this is all about is my worry a kitchen staff that is so concerned with salt, saturated fat, Cholesterol, etc. it would be incapable of putting out a classically excellent meal.

In regards to Avalon's message about concentrating on the food & drink aspect of their cruises, what does "sustainable cuisine" on French itineraries mean? I'm planning a Rhone river cruise in 2012, and I'm looking at Avalon, AMA, Viking, and Tauck for which one provides the best (or best regarded) French/continental food & wine. "sustainable" sounds like some currently fashionable "politically correct" nonsense word. When I eat a lamb chop I'm very certain that particular lamb is/was not sustainable, but the heard can continue to propagate. What this is all about is my worry a kitchen staff that is so concerned with salt, saturated fat, Cholesterol, etc. it would be incapable of putting out a classically excellent meal.

Thanks for your question and concern ... The wide variety of foods Avalon offers cruisers as part of our "Dine by Design" program (our five-course dinners, made-to-order options at breakfast and even our grilled lunches on our Sky Decks) ensure we're appealing to the tastes (quite literally) of all of our cruisers.

Taste and quality always lead our menu choices (something the vast majority of our cruisers would agree with as we have a 98 percent customer satisfaction rating).

To answer your more specific question about "sustainable cuisine" ... This refers to the type (and quality) of fish we serve on our French itineraries (and the environment from which the fish were "taken"). It simply represents another choice to consider when dining with Avalon.

Please let us know if you have any more questions. We can be reached toll-free at 877.797.8791. Wishing you a wonderful river cruise (no matter which line you choose)!

We had no complaints whatsoever about the food on Avalon. We felt it was very well prepared and there were plenty of choices. We are NOT seafood eaters, no fish, no shellfish, nothing....but there were always enough choices for us even if the main thing was seafood. We could always find something to satisfy. After the initial serving our waiters came around with extra everything on platters, offfering seconds.

Breakfast was more than satisfying..plenty of choices, and the sparkling wine was there in the chilled ice bucket if you should want. On our cruise there was not the deck barbeque, but we were on the Tranquility in Oct/Nov and it was not exactly warm. When we were cruising up the Danube one day when the weather was good they came around on the sky deck with little sandwiches and snacks and hot mulled wine. It was a very nice touch. We are looking forward to more of the same on the Luminary in April!!

While we appreciate the attempt by Avalon to smooth over the complaints raised by Caviargal it seems like a lot of spin to us, can they tell us specifically what they did to address the complaints raised it appears to have been forgotten the Caviargal complained about a decline in food quality and wine also a minimization of wine service. And a smaller selection of cheeses than on previous cruises. If Avalon don't wish to inform us of their actions in this regard perhaps Caviargal will tell us the result of her discussions with Avalon.

:eek:

While we appreciate the attempt by Avalon to smooth over the complaints raised by Caviargal it seems like a lot of spin to us, can they tell us specifically what they did to address the complaints raised it appears to have been forgotten the Caviargal complained about a decline in food quality and wine also a minimization of wine service. And a smaller selection of cheeses than on previous cruises. If Avalon don't wish to inform us of their actions in this regard perhaps Caviargal will tell us the result of her discussions with Avalon.

Agreed. And as I was on the exact same cruise as caviargirl — and experienced the same negatives — I'd appreciate something more than platitudes and non-reply replies as I consider another river cruise vacation. My experience aboard the Panorama is not consistent with the slick marketing copy Avalon has presented on this board.

. If Avalon don't wish to inform us of their actions in this regard perhaps Caviargal will tell us the result of her discussions with Avalon.

I spoke with Avalon several weeks ago upon my return and am currently awaiting their follow up response.

Avalon - Thanks for monitoring this website. I'm sure it's difficult to satisfactorily address each and every concern raised by every customer. To your credit, you at least attempt to do so. However - In your reply to Caviargal's specific concerns encountered on a specific ship, time, and cruise - you merely restated what your company's already well-publicized and well-known "standard" of service is for meals and beverage service. You provided nothing that is not already in your literature or on your very nice video. A corporate "standard" is merely a "goal". Presumably, you investigated Caviargal's specific complaint/s but I'm sure are prevented (corporately) from revealing whether you actually found her specific complaints to be valid or not (you would have to either affirm that her complaints were real, an admission that Avalon failed, in that particular case, to meet corporate "standards" OR - risk losing a valuable past/future customer by refuting her assertions). Instead, you just restated company "boiler plate". You merely restated what is "supposed" to occur. It's those stated "standards" which motivate customers (like me) to book cruises with Avalon in the first place. Consistently meeting those standards on all ships and cruises bring back return customers. When promised standards aren't met or adequately redressed, and the failure becomes public, it causes Avalon to lose customers. None of us wants that to happen. What, specifically, is a passenger supposed to do, at the time a problem occurs - when there's a perception that your service is actually failing to meet your own standards? Afterall, it's at that moment that the problem can best be fixed, and won't wind up in these threads later on. I was specifically wanting to hear what type of ongoing/onsite "quality control measures" Avalon takes - each and every cruise - to ensure that everything is "as good as it can get" for each passenger, on each ship, on each cruise. Surely, Avalon does more than simply "cross it's fingers" and hope that everything in the fleet, is "going okay", every day? Is there a "passenger advocate" on each cruise to handle any"problems"? I'm really looking forward to my "first" Avalon Cruise in March and I hope it meets Avalon's own "standards" in all aspects! Regards

The Hotel Manager is the one responsible for most of the aspects of the cruise experience. We knew Dan from a past cruise and did speak with him about the dining and wine experience versus past cruises as well as the entertainment.

We also addressed the food and wine issues with Peter, the dining room manager. They fixed the wine issue so that we could have wine with dinner. And we had a great waiter who always offered to trade out our food for another option. We did this twice but the replacement items were not much better so we stopped.

We addressed the poor New Year Eve's entertainment during and after with the CD as well as with Dan. And then we followed up with very detailed comment cards and an email to Avalon post trip.

We most certainly spoke with the appropriate staff members about our opinions and experiences.

The Hotel Manager is the one responsible for most of the aspects of the cruise experience. We knew Dan from a past cruise and did speak with him about the dining and wine experience versus past cruises as well as the entertainment.

We also addressed the food and wine issues with Peter, the dining room manager. They fixed the wine issue so that we could have wine with dinner. And we had a great waiter who always offered to trade out our food for another option. We did this twice but the replacement items were not much better so we stopped.

We addressed the poor New Year Eve's entertainment during and after with the CD as well as with Dan. And then we followed up with very detailed comment cards and an email to Avalon post trip.

We most certainly spoke with the appropriate staff members about our

opinions and experiences.

Caviargal, you certainly covered all appropriate avenues to resolve the unfortunate issues you had on the Panorama. I am sure if Peter or Dan could have better corrected the problems themselves while you were on the cruise, they would have. I believe this is a problem that needs to be managed by Corporate.....hopefully a change in the Chef on the Panorama or figuring out why the restrictive wine issues were encountered at Dinner. We all anxiously await some concrete follow up from Avalon on the specific issues from your cruise that affected you as well as others on your same sailing. No one contemplating a future cruise on Avalon wants to have to worry about these problems re-surfacing. It will be interesting to see how they handle the feedback on a public forum if at all!

Just in case Avalon is hoping we will go away .

We are still awaiting how they specifically have dealt with the issues raised by Caviargal and some garrantee that it won't happen again.

I do not think it appropriate for Avalon to respond to me personally in a public forum. As another poster stated, they would either have to acknowledge there were issues on my cruise or say that the vast majority of guests rated their cruise experience highly, which would imply my opinions were in the small minority and therefore not a real indication of any problems. No win situation.

I also do not know how they could guarantee that it would not happen again. I do believe my comments were taken seriously and are not being ignored by Avalon management.

From my past Avalon experiences and that of many other posters, that particular sailing (and possibly that chef based on other comments of the same boat, different sail date) just were not up to standards. It happens. Hopefully, the other poster from my cruise who has posted here was also clear in their comments on the survey and has followed up with Avalon directly.

I am confident they will respond to me directly when they have completed their research into the issues raised about this cruise. Whether that is next week or next month is not important to me personally.

As is always the case, we appreciate both positive and negative feedback, pingpong1. And, we very much look forward to introducing you to river cruising this spring. We hope you become as passionate about this travel style as we are! It's truly an amazing - and unique - experience!

Avalon, thanks for your responnses. We are taking our first river cruise in August3 from Basel to Vienna on Avalon Affinity in Cabin 312. Your brochures look good but keep reading dining concerns on Cruise Critic that quality is declining. Thanks for info on wine. We are looking forward to our first river cruise and our TA strongly recommended Avalon!!

Hi all.

In regards to issues raised by Caviargal we agree that perhaps this is not the forum for Avalon to reply specifically.

Maybe Avalon can post a copy of their menu for us to reassure ourselves that the choice of food has not been reduced for the sake of cost cutting . The issue of the wine service has been addressed and as for the quality and quantity we can sort that out as the cruise progresses , we will not be accepting substandard food when we are paying 5 star prices.

Archived