Food to try, food to avoid

I enjoyed the escargot, the sushi, and the alligator fritters - whatever was in them, they were good, tasted like a good crab cake. Also liked the bitter and blanc, but should have asked for a little more vanilla sauce. And the caramelized apples and puff pastry was outstanding.

I also tried a couple of the vegetarian entrees including the herbed polenta with wild mushroom ragout, and the spanikopita with the couscous-stuffed pepper - both were excellent!

WCMC - goes without saying!

When I'm on a cruise I tried to avoid all fried foods. I will eat fish and chicken but only if it is baked. I am not a desert guy, however I will eat the warm melting cake a couple of times during the week. I have not and will not ever eat the fish'n chips. You know the old saying you are what you eat.

Gary

To try or avoid?

(I'm leaning towards try?)

Definitely try the Mongolian Wok! It is excellent.

I also LOVE the Vegetarian Enchilada and I am NOT a vegetarian. Have to order them every cruise...they are that good!

Love the escargot and usually I don't eat dessert but love the Creme Brullee.

Many have said they love the Bacon Mac n Cheese but I found it to be just so so. Tasted sorta plain and bland to me. But that is my personal opinion.

They post the menu in the morning outside the MDR. I check when in the area to see what is being offered that night.

Thank you for the information smcgoldr. Being a newbie cruiser I appreciate all of the knowledge passed along on this site

OP, I agree with those who say, try the things you think you might like, and make your own decisions. If you are in the MDR, main dining room for dinner and find that the item you have ordered is not palatable, tell your server, and they will be happy to bring you something else. I have found this to be the case some times, and while I made a good attempt to finish my plate, I usually only ate half of it. ( I have a mother who has indoctrinated me to not waste food! ). My waiter has almost always asked why I didnt finish, or did I not like it, and when I said it was ok, just not great, he offered to get me something else. I have always declined that offer, and chosen to order dessert instead!:D Im just saying, we cant tell you here what is good and bad. What is good for one is not so for another. The only thing I can warn you about is the "diet pumpkin pie" Do not under any circumstance order this. Other diet desserts are very good, and probably not low in calories, but dont order the Pumpkin pie. Have not ever heard one person here say that it was good. Enjoy your cruise!:)

Please read carefully.....

Bitter N Blanc :)

I waited for 12 cruises to try this. Worst mistake ever. WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG!!! Best dessert EVER.

Catrin

Please read carefully.....

Bitter N Blanc :)

I waited for 12 cruises to try this. Worst mistake ever. WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG!!! Best dessert EVER.

Catrin

Absolutely without a doubt LOVED the Bitter N Blanc, wished they served it every night.

On our last cruise our head waiter leaned over and whispered "conch fritter" and winked at me when I ordered the alligator fritters. They were good, but there was not enough meat in them to tell exactly what it was. I plan to eat something different each time, but its like going to a favorite restaurant and always ordering the same things. Next time I promised myself I would try all new dishes.

I'd recommend trying the new Macaroni dish served at dinner. It was delicious! Other than that, I'd say the Chocolate Melting Cake is something you don't want to miss!

Couldn't agree more. The macaroni dish (as well as CMC) are delicious! :D

Thanks. The problem with having a picky husband, is that I will like to try what he orders but he won't be interested in mine. Though I guess if I start stealing too much he could always order another. I love appetizers but rarely order them in restaurants as it's so $$ to order one each and DH won't eat cheesy or fishy things. So we end up getting wings or a salad or something. I'm sure we'd try to eat in the MDR as much as possible. I hear the coffee is better and I like breakfast fresh (it's also the easiest meal to satisfy the kiddos). The kids also like fancy desserts.

As mentioned in another post, I thought the Alligator Fritters tasted like crab cakes. I love the Escargot. The Shrimp Cocktail, while small, is tasty; as others have said numerous times, it's too bad it's only offered once. The new Bacon Mac & Cheese was not too exciting; the old Mac & Cheese side in the ramekin was much better. I enjoy the duck breast with rice noodles appetizer. The hot soups are all very good. All of the chilled fruit soups taste like melted sherbet to me. I like the Prime Rib with a side of Lobster on elegant night. I happen to like most of the fish dishes (Salmon or Mahi Mahi) and the Seafood Newburg too. Stay away from what Carnival calls Chateaubriand! The Jerk Pork was nothing special either. Most of the pasta dishes can be ordered as an appetizer, a smaller serving. They are good and it gives you a chance to try something different. If I happen to have any red wine left in the bottle at the end of dinner, the cheese plate for dessert helps to finish it off. Bitter N Blanc is an absolute must; so is the Gran Marnier Souffle. I don't care that much for Warm Chocolate Melting Cake.

really good and must try

bing cherry soup, pumpkin soup (really good), actually most of the cold soups are great, IMHO creme brulee best dessert usually only on the first night,

not sure if they still have the chili relleno but it sure looked good

I have never figured out all of the people that go crazy about the hotdogs, there is real food just a few steps away but hotdogs ... maybe if they were over an open fire cooked on a stick

Must try:

Escargots

Warm chocolate melting cake

Kahlua chocolate mousse (buffet)

Fish and chips

Tomato, mozzarella, and arugula sandwich (deli)

French onion soup

Mac and cheese from the cooking demo - way better than dining room

Braised anything!

Frog legs if you're adventurous

Fried shrimp

We've posted the food pictures from our October cruise here: http://www.cruisefoods.com

Didn't really like:

Chilled cucumber soup

Cream of wild mushroom soup

Old fashioned apple pie

• 2 years later...
So I've saved all the new menus to my computer. But there are so many choices. And as we'll be on Liberty we have several non dining room choices to try at lunch. Is there anything I should make sure not to miss. I look at some days and I want to try 4 or five things. And then desserts - chocolate melting cake for sure, but are there any there I don't want to miss. Or are there things described as yummy that sucked. Thanks

The Tandoor Palace, Lido Aft is a great place to pickup Indian cuisine, and its never crowded. The salad with the cucumber (Tzatziki) dressing is great, if this is not your type of food. I would usually get the grilled/punjab chicken or fish, along with the salad and naan bread everyday for lunch. The Blue Iguana is the place for breakfast burrito's such as chicken sausage with hash browns and eggs.

One of the only things I didn't like, was MEATLOAF! UGHH,,,had a strange flavor, and a strange texture? Certainly NOT like mama used to make.

I LOVE the escargot. As someone mentioned, perhaps it's just an excuse to eat garlic, just like the lobster is an excuse to eat butter. ;)

"SKY"

On our last cruise my husband ordered Alligator Fritters.....I was unsure about them so I did not order them, actually our group of 7 others did not order them as well. When he recieved his order, we all tried a piece and they were excellent, so we all ordered them. This is something I would have never tried but was so happy I did. We leave on 1/30/12 for a "quick" 5 day cruise and I am hoping that they offer the fritters again.... :)

We got some for the table to share.

It was a pea sized piece of meat stuff and a whole lot of breading and oil.

Don't miss the Bitter and Blanc. Best Carnival dessert in my opinion!!

So I've saved all the new menus to my computer. But there are so many choices. And as we'll be on Liberty we have several non dining room choices to try at lunch. Is there anything I should make sure not to miss. I look at some days and I want to try 4 or five things. And then desserts - chocolate melting cake for sure, but are there any there I don't want to miss. Or are there things described as yummy that sucked. Thanks