Remembrances & "little'' Thank You gifts for crew ??

Shining Clem

In reading these boards, several times we have seen reference to 'small' or "little" thank you gifts & treats for crew members who do you a special favor. This is not the monetary tipping, but implies "things." Nor is it a substitute for $$.

What kind of gifts are people speaking of? $10. international phone cards, candy, Resque Tape (a double sided tape that can be an emergency fix for a missing button, ripped hem), gum, spool of black thread, safety pins, band-aids ??

Clues and specifics please, about things which would be needed and appreciated. TIA

Everyone will have their own way of saying Thanks. True to my user name I usually bring a few handmade things with me to pass along to my Stewardess, Social Hostess and favorite lounge server who remembers what i drink. I also met some wonderful ladies on this past November cruise and they too were recipients as a parting gift. I also give $$ and have given phone cards as well. :)

Whenever I've read the threads about giving something to the crew, most people seem to think that money and/or writing a positive letter about them to the cruise line are the best gifts.

People have commented that the crew has VERY limited storage space in their quarters and it would be nigh on to impossible to know what crew (who you have only known for a short period of time) would like/need.

We give a bit of extra $$

One cruise one of the waiters we talked with said he had his own coffee maker so when in Columbia we picked up a bag of fresh coffee for him

On the Norway cruise I had an extra toque with me & gave it to one of the room stewards ( some were not prepared for the cold weather)

Ginger candy for sea sickness

Little things we take for granted

Also mention them in the comment cards & to their manager if you talk to them

Write a letter or email to the cruiseline with ship, sail date and name of cruise staff. This is better than a phone card. Let them know you are going to do that and follow through. Give them the cash. If you really make a connection - something personal or funny.

Write a letter or email to the cruiseline with ship, sail date and name of cruise staff. This is better than a phone card. Let them know you are going to do that and follow through. Give them the cash. If you really make a connection - something personal or funny.

When I (Jim) began sailing with Holland America, during my misspent youth, they only operated three (sometimes four) ships and over the years I got to know many of the hotel staff fairly well.

After the very early 1980's, when the Carnival money kicked in,and the staff multiplied beyond ANY recognition, we started laying in a supply of $2 bills before each cruise, which we would distribute liberally on sailing day.

Two_Dollar_Bill.jpg

It is AMAZING how well the unusual denomination worked to make us known :D And for a nominal investment, at that :D:D

A few of those stewards STILL send us Christmas cards.

On our first cruise, a TA on the Constellation (Celebrity) last May, we did do the extra money beyond the suggested daily at the end of the cruise. We also wrote a note to the hotel director about 2 of the service staff. And even mentioned names in my CC review.

Jim - Can one still get $2. bills? The former coin collector here still has some, I think.

It brings up another funny money subject - We live in upstate NY, where Susan B Anthony is from. A couple of years ago when the Treasury came out with the Susan B $1. coin, nobody wanted it. Too heavy, didn't fit in vending machines, people confused it with half-dollars or Canadian money, etc etc. Then when they were taken out of production, people started hoarding them! Now, try to find some in circulation! Maybe they still sell them at the Susan B Home in Rochester - with a nice mark-up to help in preservation of the house! The ole supply & demand principle :p

Some great suggestions here, thanks! We are counting the days until we board Regatta.

as it usually does. Wikipedia to the rescue! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_two-dollar_bill

Yes, if I ask at our credit union ahead, we may be able to get some.

However, there is this there too: $2 notes have seen increased usage in situations where tipping is encouraged, especially in strip clubs. This is due to the idea that tips will increase because of the ease of use of a single, higher-denomination bill as the lowest common note in use.

YIKES! Don't want to send the wrong message!! :o:eek: Maybe best to mix TJ with some ginger candy & other things.

My husband usually just tips special people, and I let him do his own thing. However, on one cruise, our cabin stewardess (Natalya) was so fantastic that I left her a few pieces of my jewelry, plus a card I made using Word on the ship (don't know if they have that any more - don't think so!). The card included a picture of her on the front that I had taken on the ship. The jewelry was not expensive, just modern costume jewelry that I thought she would like. I chose pieces that, while not necessarily my favorites, seemed like they would appeal to most young women. Hopefully she liked them, or if not, passed them on to someone back home (Poland) or on the ship.

We were on Oceania a year later on a different cruise, and after turning the corner into the hallway from the lobby, I heard someone say "Hello, how are you?" and it was Natalya. It was great to see her again.

My husband really liked one of the dining room managers, so once we brought back a big box of baklava for him from a bakery in Santorini. With so much good food on board, I don't know if he was thrilled or not, but really, it's the thought that counts, so in my mind, just about any gift is bound to be appreciated at least a little bit!

What we all should remember is that no matter how much we wish to "thank" someone for their services, they have very little storage space in their quarters, and that is used mostly by their personal belongings.

Adding to that limited space is not a good idea, as would be giving out $2.00 U.S. dollar bills. Going ashore at some future port will probably give them a real problem in trying to spend or convert.

A simple gift of cash they can use, along with a written note expressing your good wishes and thanks will be very welcome!!

Agree that cash is the best bet.

Have seen passengers give copies of their photos or a signed photo of themselves to a crew member along with their home addresses and invitations to come visit, etc. Many passengers, especially new ones, really believe the crew are their new best friends when in reality they are just doing their job and in two weeks they will have a new set of "best friends".

We try, if we are going to tip beyond the automatic, to tip in the local currency where the ship is, euros in the Med, etc. First it helps us get rid of currency we may not use again and secondly the crew can use it to buy a beer, etc at the next port. It always seems to be appreciated.

Agree cash is best..

A crew member showed us his "BAG OF STUFF" on our last Regatta cruise. He says he saves all the "gifts" to give away to children in some of the very poor communities they visit in South and Central America....

I do the same with gifts I don't want :D and agree that cash is perhaps the best, but if a crew member admires something i am wearing (which usually happens) and I don't mind parting with it....or I won't be in need of a phone card, etc. any gift of Thanks is exactly what counts.

Archived