Best way to package Wine/Liquor bottles for flying????

Beachgal528

I have searched for an answer or suggestion for the best way to package wine/liquor bottles in checked luggage but I can't seem to find an answer. I have seen the 'wine diaper' but wondered if there was a cheaper, just as durable option. I figure some of yall who always bring liquor back would have some suggestions! Feel free to point me toward a thread that already has this answer, I just couldn't find it :( Thanks!!!

Forgot my Bottle Armor at home so I made cardboard & ductape sleeves for my wine. Both bottles arrived unbroken from Rome. Best to pack in a stuffed suitcase so nothing moves around.

Here's a link to the Magellan's site for their wine carriers--

http://dyna.magellans.com/cgi-bin/mitcus/dyna/dyna3yUsyo?page_number=1

Forgot my Bottle Armor at home so I made cardboard & ductape sleeves for my wine. Both bottles arrived unbroken from Rome. Best to pack in a stuffed suitcase so nothing moves around.

Here's a link to the Magellan's site for their wine carriers--

http://dyna.magellans.com/cgi-bin/mitcus/dyna/dyna3yUsyo?page_number=1

Thanks! what size do you use for a regular liquor bottle? the regular or xxl?

Do you know what the difference in the bottle armor and the wine skin is? Are any of them reusable?

We have wine skins we've been reusing for years. Just don't seal the top. For extra protection, we pack them in the wine skins, then seal in one of those large ziptop bags, though nothing has spilled yet. The one time we don't do this, that'll be the time one breaks.

Was speaking with someone we were with on a cruise a few years ago and they had a very interesting option. It may be a bit over the edge for many but, what they did was to purchase some PVC plumbing pipe and cut into the correct length for their bottles. Of course you also need to know what diameter pipe to use but that I guess would depend on the size of the bottle. Their wine made it in their luggage like this all the way to Tahiti.

Yes, this does require some extra thought and effort but, if you really want to pack wine in luggage and want to be sure it will stay unbroken, this seems like a pretty good option. You can either purchase end caps for the pipe as well or, just use some duct tape to keep the bottles from falling out.

When the bottles are out and emptied, you can always pack small, soft items into the pipe for your return trip if you need the space. These would also be reusable for many years.

Just a thought for you.

I bring wine/booze to every cruise. I wrap a bottle in a pair of jeans or a beach towel and place it/them in the middle of my piece(s) of luggage. With the cushioning of the jeans or beach towel and the rest of the clothes I've never had a problem with breakage.

Same with us...Never have done more than wrap within the clothes. I did read last week that some people are using the blow-up swimming things that kids wear on their arms. On Princess back in October, the gift shop was selling Wine Skins for 99 cents each. I meant to go buy a bunch but never did.

Thanks! what size do you use for a regular liquor bottle? the regular or xxl?

Do you know what the difference in the bottle armor and the wine skin is? Are any of them reusable?

My bottle armor are the regular size ones and are reusable. The seal is a zip top.

The same company also make square-ish packages for breakables. Brought back some very delicate glasswear from Italy (carryon) with no problem.

The trip where I used my bottle armor for the glass I just put a chianti-bottle of Meloncello into the middle of my folding suiter, no other padding or bag. Survived Rome to LAX.

The ziptop on the Bottle Armor bags is more industrial (stronger) than any Ziplock bag.

bubble wrap, a large ziplock bag, and packed amongst your clothing for extra padding is all you need
I was going to post the same thing.

Of course the safest solution is to buy wine at your destination and drink it all before returning home.

We always fly with a few bottles of our favorite wines. We individually bubble wrap the bottles and then put them in a large 2.5 gallon zippy bag and squeeze all of the air out. We then place the wine bags between clothing. In all the times that we have done this, we have never once had one break open. We also save the bubble wrap and bags in case we find anything good that we want to take back home with us.

:) It is so much easier to have your favorite wines with you than to have to run into a Walgreens or who-knows-where that may only offer a limited selection.

I have searched for an answer or suggestion for the best way to package wine/liquor bottles in checked luggage but I can't seem to find an answer. I have seen the 'wine diaper' but wondered if there was a cheaper, just as durable option. I figure some of yall who always bring liquor back would have some suggestions! Feel free to point me toward a thread that already has this answer, I just couldn't find it :( Thanks!!!

Wine Diaper is not that expensive. On amazon you get 3 for $10 and they are reusable. The advantage is that if one should break, it will absorb the liquid. A cheaper alternative would be to take a real (disposable) diaper and wrap around the bottle then place in a ziplock bag. **It's the polymers inside the diapers that soak up the liquid.

We carry a 5 liter wine box of Chardonnay in our checked luggage. We also put rum into plastic water bottles with tape around the lid. Be sure to mark the water bottles, however.

My wife accidentally put one in the car and took a swig while she was driving!!

FYI--NONE of these options are approved by the airlines.

The ONLY approved way to pack wine and liquor is in styropack shippers. http://www.uline.com/BL_5450/Styrofoam-Wine-Shippers

U-Line carries them in bulk, but your local wine shop might be able to sell you a single for a few bucks. I have shipped wine this way all around the world. The bottles arrive safely, and the styrofoam also helps protect against heat damage.

By not packing properly you risk damaging your own and other people's belongings.

Twice we have taken cruises with stops in Barbados specifically to buy an after dinner liquour. The liquour is made on Barbados and in all the years we have cruised the southern Caribbean this is the only place it is available. We have never found it in the states and look every time we are in a liquor store.

Since I had an empty bottle I fashioned spaces in styrofoam to hold the bottles. Duct tape secured the seams. The form then went into a super thick sealable plastic bag. By taking the foam form with us we knew there would be space in the checked bag for our precious cargo.

I think running out of our favorite drink is reason enough to cruise!!!

Archived