Bariatric Surgery and cruising on Princess

Blamar

I recently had bariatric surgery and we are about to go on a Hawaiian cruise with Princess. Have any of you had experience with being a post surgery bariatric or lap band patient and the food on Princess? What do you tell the wait staff when you eat so very little?

Thanks

Just a point for your own comfort. My cousin recently had surgery and then cruised. He had a great time but found it difficult as he was on a large table and hoped that only ordering one or two courses he would have the time to slowly eat them whilst everyone else was doing their normal thing BUT it did not happen that way he was served those courses at the time they would be for everyone else. So it would be better to have a table for two instead of a larger table and feel you are keeping everyone waiting This is just a comment he made to us - after a couple of days they started to go to the buffet instead as it would be easier for him

While some people order only one or two courses, I order most courses and eat only what I want. If that means taking a couple of spoonfuls of soup or a couple of forkfuls of salad, I don't worry about it and don't feel guilty about the waste. I haven't had the surgery but my attitude is that I want to try or sample as much as I can. Sometimes, I'll split a course with someone else. If you're at a larger table, perhaps others would be willing to split an appetizer, salad or whatever with you. Just ask for another plate. My guess is that they would be very understanding and encouraging.

It has been 7 years since I had RNY. My first cruise was when I was only 6 months out with a WLS group. I like cruising because after 7 years I have to admit I have taste fatigue. Meaning that I am tired of my usual choice of food at home. I take the opportunity to try different things because I would hate to spend the money at home to find that things don't agree with me and my pouch. I am careful to pick items that are low in sugar and fat so I don't get sick. I make no excuses for not eating much. I got over that a long time ago.

Good luck and have fun. :D

you dont have to tell them anything..I have been on three cruises since my surgery and I just order what I want...the first cruise was really hard as it was right after my surgery..during dinner I just order and take a bit or two so that I had room for the other courses..however on that first cruise i didnt have dessert much as was full by then.:o

Youre going to love it ..and everyone will be jelous as you will be the only one to loose weight when you get back whilst everyone else will be tryin to work off what they gained!!:p

While I've not had the surgery I have had cruises where I've maintained a diet, avoiding certain foods (and with all the exercise I lost weight).

Whether you are at a small table or large, if you are at traditional dining, just talk offline with your server and tell them "I need to eat lightly. When I leave food or take a long time, it is not due to a problem with the food or service, and certainly if there is a problem I will talk with you".

The offline conversation should avoid sometimes embarrassing questions about "Didn't you like the food...?" and the need to repeat your answers publically.

I am 5 years post-op from RNY. Been on several cruises since my surgery with one cruise about 4 months affter surgery. When eating in the main dining room, don't feel obligated to explain or justify why you are only eating less than a cup overall (more like a few bites of each course). A few times I asked for smaller portions but the plates were still full of food. Sadly I have given up asking for small order. The wait staff will be most concerned that you did not like the food. I usually just tell them that it was good, but I don't like to eat a lot.

You will enjoy all of the tasty food, especially right after post-op surgery. There are quite a bit of protein options to focus on especially in the buffet with the various cheeses and carved meats (meats are sometime too tough). The first year or so after my surgery, I really enjoyed all of the different cheese options.

Sue from Suisun City, CA

Three years ago I took a 14 night Panama Canal cruise eight months after gastric bypass surgery. Ate breakfast and lunch in the dining room every day--much easier to control selection and portion when someone is serving you rather than casing the buffet on your own. Breakfast would be eggs poached or over easy and a small bowl of oatmeal. Yes, I usually didn't finish; no, no one else at the table took any notice. A few times I ordered the smoked salmon plate and had the salmon with just a couple bites of the bagel, then a couple bites of fruit. No one would care--plenty of others I sat with treated breakfast in the MDR as a tasting menu as well. For lunch I would order a clear soup if on the menu, then an entree. If an appetizer intrigued me I would order it with the intention of a taste or two, if I really liked it I just cancelled the entree. On some days I ordered the fruit plate for dessert; about half those days I cancelled it.

Dinner--well Anytime Dining seems to be tailor made for us: eat when you are hungry and not before. We split about even between table-for-two and willing-to-share; when doing the latter we ran into the same people several times! Again I stuck to clear soup as a starter (I was still having trouble with raw vegetables at that stage, so virtually no salads) and an entree. If the accompaniment was a starchy vegetable, I would ask them to sub a small portion of the night's pasta instead--obviously not to save calories, but to get the most bang for my minimal buck. A few times I took one (or two) (ok, or three) spoonfuls of the sugar free dessert; believe me, fresh fruit tastes better.

On three subsequent cruises, now that my appetite has crept back up, I make sure I order a protein-rich soup or appetizer to be served before any salad or starch. As for reactions of my tablemates--I don't recall a single negative comment then or now, but many have complimented me on how my "different" method of ordering appears healthier!

While I've not had the surgery I have had cruises where I've maintained a diet, avoiding certain foods (and with all the exercise I lost weight).

Whether you are at a small table or large, if you are at traditional dining, just talk offline with your server and tell them "I need to eat lightly. When I leave food or take a long time, it is not due to a problem with the food or service, and certainly if there is a problem I will talk with you".

The offline conversation should avoid sometimes embarrassing questions about "Didn't you like the food...?" and the need to repeat your answers publically.

I haven't been in your situation but I really think this is good advice to follow. Most waiters will try and accomodate you and make the experience good for you.

I order most courses and eat only what I want. If that means taking a couple of spoonfuls of soup or a couple of forkfuls of salad, I don't worry about it and don't feel guilty about the waste. I haven't had the surgery but my attitude is that I want to try or sample as much as I can.

Fish gotta eat too, I suppose.

While some people order only one or two courses, I order most courses and eat only what I want. If that means taking a couple of spoonfuls of soup or a couple of forkfuls of salad, I don't worry about it and don't feel guilty about the waste. I haven't had the surgery but my attitude is that I want to try or sample as much as I can.

Fish gotta eat too, I suppose.

Archived