Costa Concordia sinking (merged threads)

ItalianGuest

ok, THIS is just too weird. Now they are reporting that the theme song from Titanic was playing when the ship hit the rock and that one of the survivors is the grand daughter of a survivor of the Titanic.

I'm not joking - here's the link http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2088361/Costa-Concordia-Titanic-theme-tune-played-onboard-cruise-ship-started-sink.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Someone on the Costa boards also commented that the Titanic was never christened comparing that to the bottle not breaking for this ship.

What do you mean Titanic was never Christened? She HAD to have been named. :eek:

Her BELL wasn't blessed? Please tell me this is myth!!!!

I got that part from the Costa board Sail. From what I gather no bottle was banged against her.

While I know that the evidence isn't in I find this all very scary and echo FrankNJ's comment. I know you shouldn't judge - you can't totally trust the media - but OMG - is there any question?

All this needless loss of lives - it is so sad - and I am afraid there are more

And the media is responsible ... how?

Isn't that how you're getting all your news on this tragic event?

Thanks for the interesting link Kazu. It gives me a new perspective regarding the ship staff. Just as in the old days the airline industry promoted the idea of glamorous stewardesses today they stress that flight attendants are there primarily for our safety. Maybe the cruise industry ought to take note. You won't hear me complaining if my ice bucket wasn't refilled because our room steward was at a safety meeting. Somewhat along the same line, I read in the post by the Australian lady who was on the Concordia that a waiter was assigned to drive their lifeboat but he was too short to see out the window to steer. Another crew member had to sit on his shoulders and give him directions. Don't you think this problem would have been discovered when they "practiced". If the people in charge put as much "attention to detail" into the safety plans as they do the linens and china I'd feel a whole lot better.

I think the problem, and she and many others were unaware of it, as am I for sure, just thinking here.... that he may have been tall enough to see to steer the lifeboat in normal conditions. But these were very abnormal conditions to say the least. The ship was at a list as was the life boat....

Edited to add: And as to his not being able to see after the life boat hit the water..... I've no idea how to answert this except with a question of my own.... Could it have been the fear that made him cringe or could it be that the passengers just thought he could not see? Or could it be that he and others manning/driving the life boats were so scared and panicked and did not know where to go?? I do not know.... These are just thoughts/questions I have ...

Joanie

I read that earlier today and could not believe when he said, "I tripped..fell into the Lifeboat" All I could think was YEAH RIGHT! AND I AM The Virgin Mary!!!

Sorry for the yelling, just makes me so mad that this imbecile is trying to come up with so many excuses and out and out lies to try and cover his backside:(

Joanie

For those of you who like to fiddle with Google Earth there is now a .kmz file containing the overlay of the most recent DigitalGlobe photo of Costa Concordia taken from space. The file is available here: http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1463489&Searchpage=1&Main=969571&Words=concordia+kmz&Search=true#Post1463489 . It gives one a good idea of the scale of the scene – the immense size of the ship compared to the port from which operations are being conducted.

2793972620049212975S600x600Q85.jpg

Bruce

Just come to light - another captain on board (he wasn't on duty - he was returning home). Captain Bosio took command of the evacuation while the other one escaped and it sounds like he co-ordinated the rescue effort.

He has relucatantly come forward to chastize the infamous coward.

here you go - a real hero -

Now here's a captain worth talking about! And he was on vacation!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9022902/Costa-Concordia-captains-actions-disgraceful-says-cruise-ships-reluctant-hero.html

What do you mean Titanic was never Christened? She HAD to have been named. :eek:

Her BELL wasn't blessed? Please tell me this is myth!!!!

Just google "Titanic Christening" and you will find this to be true. White Star Line did not Christen any of its ships. I never knew that little factoid until today.

Just come to light - another captain on board (he wasn't on duty - he was returning home). Captain Bosio took command of the evacuation while the other one escaped and it sounds like he co-ordinated the rescue effort.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9022902/Costa-Concordia-captains-actions-disgraceful-says-cruise-ships-reluctant-hero.html

I speculated earlier in this thread I suspected there had to have been professional first responders/emergency workers/leaders on board amongst the guests whose instinct, training, and natural response reaction would kick in and they would fill the void of the missing Officers who shirked their duties.

Of course, I had no idea it was another Captain but it only made sense there had to be some trained, responsible, able people who succeeded in getting over 4,000 people off that ship. SOMEONE had to have been a leader for this to have been accomplished.

THANK YOU for bringing us this news. It explains how so many did actually get off that ship alive.

Huge thanks go to that Captain. icon14.gif

Just google "Titanic Christening" and you will find this to be true. White Star Line did not Christen any of its ships. I never knew that little factoid until today.

Shocking. So surprising White Star Line Christened none. :eek:

I never would have dreamed that.

Thank you for this link.

That vacationing captain is a real hero.

I just posted these on the Costa Concordia Board. I think this says it all (in German but watch the video) and see for your self NOTE the exposed ABOVE the water Rock(s) circled in Red!!

This video shows the Rock(s) that Schettino hit and the ship lieing on its side a few hundred meters away!! This is not a drawing this is a video taken by a reporter from sea level.

You may have to pause and go back a couple of times to see it better but....

Joanie

I took a snap shot of the Rock that Schettino hit from the video. The German reporter or someone from his station has it circled in red.

You can plainly see the rock(s) and the poor Concordia. So from seeing this, I am even more convinced HE KNEW the rock(s) were there and no way in Hades can he say these are uncharted:(

[ATTACH]218667[/ATTACH]

Joanie

Shocking. So surprising White Star Line Christened none. :eek:

I never would have dreamed that.

Surprising but I am not so sure about shocking.

Actually, a case can be made that the Titanic was the ONLY White Star vessel that ever was Christened, albeit unofficially. People can make of that what they will.

Looks like the Captain of the Concordia is going to be slain a million times over in editorials and internet boards etc. His vilification is not without warrant. No question about that.

There are a lot of other issues that arise with respect to this tragedy, issues that if explored fully may have dramatic impact on ship safety. I hope this mega-lynching does not eclipse or divert the inquiry from fully exploring those as well.

By now this Captain has become a pitiful creature - the more so as he will never benefit from that most universal expression of sympathy. What is about to happen to him I truly wouldn't wish on my enemies. It gives me no relief, and will resurrect none of the victims to climb onboard this extrajudicial dispensation of e-justice.

I suppose though, it is what we do.:eek:

Smooth sailing...

To you, maybe not.......

To me, shocking........ :shrug"

Really?

Christening has a pagan origin and if you think about it whacking a ship with a bottle of champagne to bless it or introduce it to the world is kind of, well, you fill in the blank.

When you consider all the superstition surrounding what happens if the bottle does not break, perhaps it is best to avoid the risk.

I suppose tradition is tradition. In this case mostly harmless...

Still, I think you get shocked easily.:)

Okay, so you can think I shock too easily...... that's fine. :shrug:

I like the tradition. It is meaningful to me and I value it.

Judging from those who actually paid money to attend Eurodam's Christening, I have to think there are others who think like me....

probably others who think like you. ;)

Oops ! caps lock on . I hope words don't fail me because amid all the horror and the stupidity of this tragedy I have just seen on the evening news a video of a Costa ship ,

a sistership to Concordia , I don't remember the name right now , do something stupid I still don't believe !

The ship has started its cruise by doing a close sail by of the Island of Giglio and has sailed

very close past the capsized Concordia . Is there anyone at Costa cruise lines that has any sense ? They should rename that ship the "Stupido". And the cruiseline could be renamed " Very Stupido" .

Oops ! caps lock on . I hope words don't fail me because amid all the horror and the stupidity of this tragedy I have just seen on the evening news a video of a Costa ship ,

a sistership to Concordia , I don't remember the name right now , do something stupid I still don't believe !

The ship has started its cruise by doing a close sail by of the Island of Giglio and has sailed

very close past the capsized Concordia . Is there anyone at Costa cruise lines that has any sense ? They should rename that ship the "Stupido". And the cruiseline could be renamed " Very Stupido" .

unbelievable - wouldn't that be a great way to start off your cruise = viewing the tragedy that just happened and then, as they sail close by, wondering if it would happen to you? I'd probably jump ship:rolleyes:

Guest LoveMyBoxer

Just saw that video on CNN and OMG! I could not believe that the ship was sailing right past the ship! Cannot even imagine what the people on the ship were thinking. What the heck is Costa thinking! Couldn't they possibly re-route the ships so as not to go the same route???

Archived