Costa Concordia sinking (merged threads)

ItalianGuest

CNN just said the missing has been upped to 29; 25 passengers (2 Americans CNN reported, contrary to BBC's/Sky's report of 6 missing Americans) and 4 crew members.

That what I heard earlier this afternoon -- 29 missing -- 25 passengers of which 2 are Americans and 4 crew members.

Our local TV stations showed the picture of the missing couple.

They may be doing this to bolster their chance of getting the insurance money.

The insurance companies may balk if they feel that the ship was being operated in a reckless manner, especially with the knowledge of corporate. In all the calculations by which the insurance companies estimate the premium they will charge, I doubt that they considered that this kind of imprudent operation was likely to happen.

I agree with you ... my guess is that the insurance contracts have negligence or gross negligence stipulations .. and from the reports, be they 3d hand, if the captain acted anywhere near how he was portrayed, then they probably have a pretty good case to deny coverage - at least that is how my London buds are thinking

harry

I agree with you ... my guess is that the insurance contracts have negligence or gross negligence stipulations .. and from the reports, be they 3d hand, if the captain acted anywhere near how he was portrayed, then they probably have a pretty good case to deny coverage - at least that is how my London buds are thinking

harry

Let the lawsuits begin.

The barristers are probably standing in line to retain clients.

From what I got from CBC is that they have now searched all of the ship and found no one. That doesn't bode well for the missing. So sad and so tragic -I hope they get to the bottom of this soon. Personally, if the head office can read what the ship is doing (which is what I read), then they knew this was happening on more than one occasion.

Both the company and the captain are at fault. Nothing can replace human lives - but......they both need to be punished and both do penance for their crimes if this is correct. I hope we get the real facts soon. To me, this is a tragedy that never should have happened.

I have not been reading the Costa boards extensively. However, what is Costa doing to assist the passengers now? Were they taken to Rome and told you're on your own or were they given financial help to buy clothing and airfare home? Were they told that's between you and your travel insurance carrier? I haven't heard anything about this.

B

I have not been reading the Costa boards extensively. However, what is Costa doing to assist the passengers now? Were they taken to Rome and told you're on your own or were they given financial help to buy clothing and airfare home? Were they told that's between you and your travel insurance carrier? I haven't heard anything about this.

B

Really good question.

I wonder the same.

B

According to Michelle (Mickey d) who is the op of Costa Concordia - I Survived thread - they were taken to the hotel and then left on their own. Costa did nothing. She relied on her consulate and embassy to help her. Even her travel insurance gave her a hard time. She is from Australia on now finally, heading home. All they had was the clothes on their back (formal and since it was warm there and cold in Rome can you imagine?)

Usually monies from the consulate have to be paid back. Costa has a lot of explaining to do IMO - a hotel room is not enough. The consulates came to see everyone. She says once they were dropped off they saw no one from Costa:eek: Just reporting.

According to Michelle (Mickey d) who is the op of Costa Concordia - I Survived thread - they were taken to the hotel and then left on their own. Costa did nothing. She relied on her consulate and embassy to help her. Even her travel insurance gave her a hard time. She is from Australia on now finally, heading home. All they had was the clothes on their back (formal and since it was warm there and cold in Rome can you imagine?)

Usually monies from the consulate have to be paid back. Costa has a lot of explaining to do IMO - a hotel room is not enough. The consulates came to see everyone. She says once they were dropped off they saw no one from Costa:eek: Just reporting.

If this is correct, I am at a loss for words. I guess the only recourse is to thank God you're alive and safe, get home and deal with the aftermath from there.

I find it hard to believe (and disappointing) that CCL doesn't have an emergency response plan.

I'm sure the story will continue to unfold in the coming days.

BTW... I looked at the travel insurance policy I typically purchase. The closest covered event for trip interruption was mechanical breakdown of a common carrier for at least 12 hours. Was this a "mechanical breakdown"? That's the problem. It's all in the details.

B

Watch this heart-breaking video of the nightime rescue and notice how high in the water the ship was:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwmz9LN8wcE&feature=related

This is an amazing video record. I'm trying to figure out the position of the ship in this video versus the way she is lying now. During the evacuation she looks almost horizontal to the water, bow completely exposed along with many features of her bottom (thrusters etc.). She must have slipped lower into the water on the shelf she is sitting on. But what made her slip? Would the tide make that much of a difference? It must have been so harrowing for those individuals scampering around on the side of the ship, trying to figure out how to get safe.

Thanks so much. I so hope they are able to save the ship and most assuredly hope they can do as little damage to the environment as possible. Watching the news clips, I felt I 'knew' those brave men they showed at the ship because of your reports.

Really appreciate your sharing these reports and will be eager to hear whatever info you can share.

Thanks so much and all good thoughts your B-I-L and his colleagues all stay safe doing this dangerous work.

Underwater photos of the ship.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/16/costa-concordia-cruise-ship-underwater-photos_n_1209286.html#s616636&title=Divers_Race_To

If either of these have been posted already, I'm sorry

Also, Huffington Post's Costa Concordia page...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/costa-concordia

I am amazed that they have now quoted the number missing has gone up. How can that happen?

I would have thought that they would have checked off peoples' names and cabin numbers, including crew, against the manifest.

It would have been possible as people were ferried to the mainland or taken by helicopter. Even those that swam from the ship swam to the island not the mainland.

Surely, even with people getting on and off at various ports, the ship keeps a list of who is onboard for precisely this sort of situation.

Here we are 3 1/2 days later and they are not sure who is unaccounted for :confused:

Underwater photos of the ship.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/16/costa-concordia-cruise-ship-underwater-photos_n_1209286.html#s616636&title=Divers_Race_To

If either of these have been posted already, I'm sorry

Also, Huffington Post's Costa Concordia page...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/costa-concordia

Great pictures - thank you for sharing them.

I am amazed that they have now quoted the number missing has gone up. How can that happen?

I would have thought that they would have checked off peoples' names and cabin numbers, including crew, against the manifest.

It would have been possible as people were ferried to the mainland or taken by helicopter. Even those that swam from the ship swam to the island not the mainland.

Surely, even with people getting on and off at various ports, the ship keeps a list of who is onboard for precisely this sort of situation.

Here we are 3 1/2 days later and they are not sure who is unaccounted for :confused:

I totally agree Carol - how could the number have gone up to 29:confused::mad:

This is absolutely awful and can't be blamed on the captain:eek:

Oh my, this is getting worse and worse. Some contents of the black box were released including when the captain was ordered to return to the ship and didn't go back with 100's of people still onboard:mad:

Apparently the crew mutinied and started the evacuation:eek:

Here is the link http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/world/i-wouldnt-like-titanic-role-captain/story-e6frf7lf-1226245930161

and a 7th body has been found:( Crews are now smashing windows desperate to try to locate and/or save people

Archived