Costa Concordia sinking (merged threads)

ItalianGuest

A copy and paste of part of the Final report from Michelle's thread - Costa Concordia - I survived. Shows her perspective of who helped and who didn't.

Thank-you to the wonderful Costa Cabin stewards, waiters, kitchen staff and engineers who got us off that boat whilst being given no instructions or help from the officers who should have been giving it, the Australian Embassy who were wonderful, the emergency travel insurance people who got us home, the nationazale carabaneri who gave us clothes, medication and kindness, Emirates who put is on business class lounges and steered us through the airports fast check-in areas.

To the Costa staff at the Hilton Garden Inn Rome, I do not know how you can live with yourselves with how appallingly you treated us all

Thank-you to John Denier of Cruise Critic whose constant emails provided me with an outlet for my words and thoughts sitting in that hotel.

Now I start the process of trying to getting back all of my missing credit cards and going through the compensation maze whilst I am sure everyone will argue someone else should pay.

For those who may not have been following this thread.

I have been watching the Today show and they interviewed 2 passengers. I would have asked more questions than what Ann asked -- like -- who paid for your air ticckets to get home?, etc.

Now through their talk they did mention that their passports were taken (normal on many of our Med and Baltic cruises) and they asked for a copy of their passports and were told they could get one in the morning. Now these 2 ladies have sailed before -- they mentioned RCI. Why don't they know to make their own copies before leaving home? We started doing that back in the 70's.

Also they talked about not being scheduled to have the life boat drill until 5 PM the next day. They mentioned about how RCI has you scan your ID proving that will attended the drill.

I think I read somewhere that Princess does this as well.

SO -- do both of those cruise lines do this?

Would you like to see HAL do this?

About the missing -- there was a report somewhere about the ship having been completely checked by the divers and they have found no other bodies.

But with all that wreckage -- maybe there are bodies under the rubble.

Also there were reports about people jumping overboard -- maybe they got washed out to sea?

Could there be bodies under the ship?

Just thinking.

and the previous 50 weeks ? Costa claimed the ship followed the exact same route every week for a year .
Well, it's perfectly clear that Costa did not mean that the ship did a close sail-by of Giglio every week. It was a media statement, not a piece of legislation.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
I have been watching the Today show and they interviewed 2 passengers. I would have asked more questions than what Ann asked -- like -- who paid for your air ticckets to get home?, etc.

Now through their talk they did mention that their passports were taken (normal on many of our Med and Baltic cruises) and they asked for a copy of their passports and were told they could get one in the morning. Now these 2 ladies have sailed before -- they mentioned RCI. Why don't they know to make their own copies before leaving home? We started doing that back in the 70's.

Also they talked about not being scheduled to have the life boat drill until 5 PM the next day. They mentioned about how RCI has you scan your ID proving that will attended the drill.

I think I read somewhere that Princess does this as well.

SO -- do both of those cruise lines do this?

Would you like to see HAL do this?

I think most cruise lines have gotten lazy in order not to inconvenience the passengers! When we sailed on the Noordam in 2008, they took attendance at the drill. The last two years on the Veendam, no attendance taken. I think drills should take place BEFORE the ship leaves the port. Also, the lifejackets need to be on the bed so people know where they are then they put them away! Some don't even know where they are in the closet.

The Italian Coast Guard is investigating why Schettino went so close to Giglio Island, off Italy's western coast, on Friday night.

Corriere della Sera reported that Schettino came close to Giglio to salute Mario Palombo, a legend among Costa cruises' commanders, and as a gesture to the only Giglio native on board, chief steward Antonello Tievoli.

Sailors call sailing past a place for the benefit of a crew member a "bow," according to Corriere della Sera.

Costa Cruises chief executive Pier Luigi Foschi was asked Monday if Schettino was making a salute to the island.

"Yes," Foschi said.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/17/world/europe/italy-ship-captain/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

CNN's Dan Rivers, Brian Walker and Josh Levs contributed to this report

I think most cruise lines have gotten lazy in order not to inconvenience the passengers! When we sailed on the Noordam in 2008, they took attendance at the drill. The last two years on the Veendam, no attendance taken. I think drills should take place BEFORE the ship leaves the port. Also, the lifejackets need to be on the bed so people know where they are then they put them away! Some don't even know where they are in the closet.

In Nov / Dec we were on the Noordam -- no attendance taken. The whole thing was a joke as I mentioned in an earlier post.

Years and Years ago on a couple of ships our life jackets were on the bed when we entered the cabin. Can't remember if it HAL or another cruise line.

Well, it's perfectly clear that Costa did not mean that the ship did a close sail-by of Giglio every week. It was a media statement, not a piece of legislation.

No , sorry , but that's not clear . The evidence shows the ship has done this in the past on a semi regular basis and Costa should be aware of the deviations from the approved course from the charted records. There are available on the Costa boards videos of previous close sails to Giglio with the ships horn blaring as a signal to various friends on the island .

Costa was aware of the behaviour.

Just off the Amsterdam - we had our muster drill before leaving FLL. The crew took attendance and they had a make-up drill the next day for those who missed the first muster drill. We did not wear our lifejackets, but we knew where they were (we always move them out of the closets and stash them under the bed). The Amsterdam crew also had two fire drills during our ten day cruise. Good idea about having the lifejackets on the bed.

There is live web cam of the search and rescue going on from a Giglio Web Cam. It is orovided via a Swedish News site. Wait for the first image to load and then click on the play arrow. It is amazing what it is taking to get into the ship:( I've been watching as they broke into a section that appears to me to be about 4 decks up from the bow at the front of the ship. It took more than an hour and now the Yellow hatted divers (searchers?) have just gone into the hole they made. The web Cam operator every once in a while directs the camera to other operations going on.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article14222867.ab

Joanie

Since the news of this tragedy, I have thought about the good comfort level I have with HAL's officers and crew. They present a serious image and a culture on board of discipline and skilled Dutch seamanship. Yes it may be an image by design, but I have a sense it is a reality. Just MHO.

I have never forgotten a Caribbean cruise on Celebrity a couple of years ago where there were pool volleyball games between officers and passengers, epaulette shirts and all..and I saw a video on sale showing officers doing the Macarena out on deck. Perhaps junior officers...but wearing the uniform.

I was surprised because you don't see that sort of thing on HAL. At least, I haven't...have you?

I recall thinking, X may regret seeing this ship video on CNN someday after a major safety incident.

I just received an e-mail update from CNN communicating the same thing. They are also reporting the 2nd "black box" has been located.

B

Just watched 2 more being brought from the aft of the ship:( Thank Goodness the Italians are placing them in Body Bags BEFORE bringing them aboard the rescue craft. I say this because who wants to learn by web cam that it is your family member.

I do not know if the 3 I've seen recovered are part of the 5 reported but...

Joanie

MSNBC also released a transcript of a conversation between the captain and the Port Authority who was urging him to return to the ship and coordinate the rescue efforts... Needless to say, the captain was not cooperating.

This story is very sad and infuriating at the same time. I remember the valiant effort of Capt. Sully when the US Airways flight landed in the Hudson. From Wikipedia...Sullenberger walked the unflooded part of the passenger cabin twice to make sure everyone had evacuated before retrieving the plane's maintenance logbook and being the last to evacuate the aircraft. Why is this different?

B

Archived