Costa incident: Return to Professional Muster?

MrPete

Could not agree more. Go back to the REAL Lifeboat drill. This just proves how quickly things can go from wonderful to really scary. I want to be safe. I am taking our grandson on his first cruise and want to make sure if something does happen, God forbid, that we will be able to find him.

Sadly they posted on the Costa board that more seasoned cruisers had grabbed their jackets and were begging the crew to launch life boats but the crew said there was only an electrical problem until it was to late to launch the boats. My prayers are with all crew and passenger and families.

Sadly they posted on the Costa board that more seasoned cruisers had grabbed their jackets and were begging the crew to launch life boats but the crew said there was only an electrical problem until it was to late to launch the boats. My prayers are with all crew and passenger and families.

There are other reports saying the boats were launched, so we probably just have to wait and see what really happened...at this point there is a lot of speculation.

I agree with many who have pointed out that the new relaxed muster drill is more like a social event rather than a life-saving exercise.

Having to bring/wear your life-vest may be a hassle to some but relatively simple to do; imagine having to scramble for one and attempting to put one on under duress and a stress-filled situation.

My prayers + to the passengers and crew of the Costa Concordia.

If you look at the photos closely, you will see that all the full sized life boats were launched including the ones on the Starboard side that went under. On the port side you can see three of the inflatables life rafts inflated but hanging by the ropes but all the full sized life boats are launched.

Dave

A small sample from the AP article

Some passengers told the Associated Press news agency that the crew had failed to give instructions on how to evacuate the ship.

"It was so unorganised, our evacuation drill was scheduled for 17:00 (16:00 GMT)," Melissa Goduti, 28, from the US told AP. "We had joked what if something had happened today

Only the Captain can give the command to evacuate. So until that is given, the crew members or panicked passengers cannot do so on their own.

Dave

Even if life preservers are not taken to muster - everyone - please please - take them out of the closet - put them on, check the clips, the straps, check the fit. make sure the clips slide and there are no knots preventing proper sizing ... these are things you don't want to concern yourself with later. Parents, make sure that you have CHILD size life jackets that are the appropriate size for your infant or child ... if you bring a baby onboard, I suggest bringing a life jacket - those provided do not always fit properly. It is also a good idea to bring child sized life jackets of your own for your children to use on tender boats and excursions.

I never used to do this, and then this summer while sitting on the boat on the river with my son, I thought - how stupid I am - I won't even let my kid (4, doesn't know how to swim) on the DOCK at home without his lifejacket secured, but I let him climb on and off tender boats in the OCEAN without a life preserver. CRAZY!

Hope this incident makes some of us frequent cruisers more attentive, and some new cruisers more aware of the accidents that can happen and need to be prepared for.

I would expect to see some changes. It shocks me that carnival doesn't make you wear jackets and show up at the lifeboat. The only other cruise I have been on has been Disney, and the drill was mandatory. They checked your name off the list and called those missing on the intercom. It was taken seriously, as it should be.

If you didn't show you had to report later and probably got chewed out.

There will always be some panic in emergency situations, but even a little preparation is important. The vast majority of people do remember what they are taught. And there is no substitute for a well trained crew. It is vital that they are prepared. I work in Emergency Management, and I can tell you that this is the policy window where changes are made, just after a disaster of some sort.

Even if life preservers are not taken to muster - everyone - please please - take them out of the closet - put them on, check the clips, the straps, check the fit. make sure the clips slide and there are no knots preventing proper sizing ... these are things you don't want to concern yourself with later. Parents, make sure that you have CHILD size life jackets that are the appropriate size for your infant or child ... if you bring a baby onboard, I suggest bringing a life jacket - those provided do not always fit properly. It is also a good idea to bring child sized life jackets of your own for your children to use on tender boats and excursions.

I never used to do this, and then this summer while sitting on the boat on the river with my son, I thought - how stupid I am - I won't even let me kid (4, doesn't know how to swim) on the DOCK at home without his lifejacket secured, but I let him climb on and off tender boats in the OCEAN without a life preserver. CRAZY!

Hope this incident makes some of us frequent cruisers more attentive, and some new cruisers more aware of the accidents that can happen and need to be prepared for.

Excellent advice. I know that we'll be much more diligent about checking our life jackets. It takes only a few minutes to try them on and make sure everything is AOK. It could save a life.

I would expect to see some changes. It shocks me that carnival doesn't make you wear jackets and show up at the lifeboat. The only other cruise I have been on has been Disney, and the drill was mandatory. They checked your name off the list and called those missing on the intercom. It was taken seriously, as it should be.

If you didn't show you had to report later and probably got chewed out.

There will always be some panic in emergency situations, but even a little preparation is important. The vast majority of people do remember what they are taught. And there is no substitute for a well trained crew. It is vital that they are prepared. I work in Emergency Management, and I can tell you that this is the policy window where changes are made, just after a disaster of some sort.

I agree . I have been on cruises where I can tell the crew is just going throught the motions , they act like they are marking off names , but when ten people pass at once there is no way you got every cabin number , no one is that good. Look I dont like the crazy things but it is what it is and 30 minutes might save out lives.

I also think they need to return to the traditional boat drill and they need to take attendance like they do on other cruise lines. It is too easy for people to avoid the drill on Carnival. And of course in an emergency they will not know what to do and hinder the evacuation of those who did pay attention and of course they will be the first to complain that the cruise line did not prepare them for an emergency situation.

The point I was making is that would it have helped to have a regular drill when the people that knew what to do were there and they wouldn't start loading the boats. Maybe the captain didn't know what to do. They are saying that he evacuated the ship before passengers? I have watched several of the news accounts with passengers saying the crew was very disorganized and panicked. I am sure it wasn't something that anybody ever counted on. I know I have been one of the complainers in my head thinking this was a waste of time. Costa cruise line is very different from what we americans are used to. On my second cruise we made friends with several crew and hope and pray they are all OK.

Only the Captain can give the command to evacuate. So until that is given, the crew members or panicked passengers cannot do so on their own.

Dave

they just reported on cnn that the captain was off the ship before some passengers. (Barbie Nadeau)

The point I was making is that would it have helped to have a regular drill when the people that knew what to do were there and they wouldn't start loading the boats. Maybe the captain didn't know what to do. They are saying that he evacuated the ship before passengers? I have watched several of the news accounts with passengers saying the crew was very disorganized and panicked. I am sure it wasn't something that anybody ever counted on. I know I have been one of the complainers in my head thinking this was a waste of time. Costa cruise line is very different from what we americans are used to. On my second cruise we made friends with several crew and hope and pray they are all OK.

how so?

so the captain didnt go down with the ship? I wonder if he followed some sort of protocol by getting off?

On my first cruise I had trouble figuring out the life jacket, as did a few others. This was, in part because I'm short and couldn't see the demo very well. Now I just make sure I do remedial lifejacketing on each cruise. Just to make sure I haven't forgotten. Also, it doesn't hurt to make sure everything is where it should be, numbers are enough, and things are working well. No harm, only good in doing that.

But I do also think about my fellow pax. Are they in the know or not. For their benefit, and mine (and my DH's who is not much of a swimmer).

So, if you are concerned, let CCL know that you want a more comprehensive, mandatory drill. Couldn't hurt. I'm going to do that.

they just reported on cnn that the captain was off the ship before some passengers. (Barbie Nadeau)

That was my point. In no way was I saying anything bad about the hard working crew. That order should have been given from the captain and he doesn't appear to have had control of the situation. Several passengers said he was still saying there was nothing to worry about when they couldn't stand up on the deck.

how so?

so the captain didnt go down with the ship? I wonder if he followed some sort of protocol by getting off?

Maybe. I was just making the point that it doesn't help to have a drill to evacuate if the order doesn't come until. :(

Wow , the Costa board has some links to the story and pictures. Man this Lawsuit waiting to happen. Hope Carnival has seperated itself from Costa.

Seems they would have learned their lesson after the sinking of MTS Oceanos in 1991. It is where the Captain left before the passengers were evacuated.

Dave

Seems they would have learned their lesson after the sinking of MTS Oceanos in 1991. It is where the Captain left before the passengers were evacuated.

Dave

I was just going to say didnt that happen before ?

And sadly a dancer was about the last person off .

All this talk of life jackets is sort of moot for the venue that the Concordia was in. The water is freezing. Hypothermia would kill you fairly quickly (relatively speaking). Floating around until you were picked up by a life boat doesn't work in waters that cold.

I too am saddened by this and will keep all involved in my prayers.

I think a real muster drill would require keeping the bars closed from the start of embarkation until after drill completion, instead of just closing them during the actual drill.

-----------------

The last Princess drill I attended spent more time telling us how to jump from the ship than how to get into a life boat. Jumping into frigid waters would not increase survival rates.

-----------------

Since I believe the Concordia is a sister ship to Carnival Splendor, I wonder if the reported electrical problem was also related?

not sure if they still do this, but all 3 of our carnival cruises out of san juan held muster the next morning due to its late departure time.

i`m reading this was protocol on the costa run as well.

I seem to remember seeing something about delaying muster on one ship due to the broadcast of the superbowl??? If they have to delay muster they should have to delay sailing ... muster doesn't do much good (as seen in this case) if it is held the day after an accident. On my first cruise, the lifejackets were missing from our cabin. Had they not had muster, I would have been unaware that I needed to have a lifejacket in my cabin. Think back to your first cruise and decide if you knew how things worked onboard ... I sure didn't.

Archived