After the Costa Concordia tragedy, my husband wants to take a flashlight with us.

Ladysilver

Call me crazy but I have a very small waterproof bag with a copy of my passport, credit card, cash including small bills, small med box with pills, and an LED flashlight, (only one inch by one inch on my lanyard). I carry this with me every where, either in my beach bag or in my very small purse at dinner. Oh, and my waterproof bag is a small ziplock. I guess I should upgrade to a nicer one. I also count the seats to the exit in a plane. I saw this maneuver on a show called surviving disaster. I know this won't happen for another century, but this "survival bag" has come in handy in port a few times and therefore I do not travel without it. Yes, I travel frequently, and I don't think you can ever be too prepared. I don't think it is thinking negatively, as some have posted, but rather just being prepared. I'll bet some of those on the recent disaster wished they had a few of these things. No flaming, just my way of a little pre-planning insurance. If you take your umbrella it will not rain. Happy planning!!!

I have been packing aflashight for our cruises for several years. After the Splendor incident I also put our money, credit cards, and passports into one of those wallet thing that you wear around your neck and under your shirt. I put it in the safe, but before going to bed, we hang it on the robe hook along with a baseball cap with LED lights in the bill. I also set out a pair of shoes for each of us to slip on.

It may seem ridiculous to some, but I say be prepared. In an emergency you can't take a bag with you to the muster station but if we are in our cabin we can grab this and go.

One other thing we do now. As soon as we board and know where our muster station is we decide on a designated area near the muster station or on an open deck. We agree to this meeting place in case we are not together on the ship and an emergency arises.

good idea about the emergency plan. never even thought about this. and I will put 'flashlight' on my 'to bring' list. I always carry a small backpack with me anyway so I'll either put in my phone or a little light. oh, and my rubber duckie :D

We've been listening to passengers accounts of the ship losing power and everyone struggling to get around in the dark, which caused even more panic. We leave on the Triumph next saturday and my husband says he's bringing his flashlight with us. He's not expecting trouble, but he said "I bet those passengers wished they had thought of bringing a flashlight." He's not being rediculous, is he? I don't think so...:D

I don't think he is, no. Shortly after the power outage in New York City, where hundreds if not thousands of commuters were trapped underground in the transit system, I put a small flashlight, an extra package of batteries, a bottle of water and an extra inhaler in my backpack for work because I was commuting on the DC Metro rail and many of the NYC commuters commented they wished they'd had flashlights or water or there was smoke present (I'm asthmatic, so having an extra rescue inhaler in the backpack would be helpful).

Probably you'll never ever use it. But it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Since it's a cruise, consider one of those flashlights that are watertight and which float.

Thanks to those of you who found my suggestion helpful. It looks like others think the same way and have made up their own emergency kits. Thanks for sharing.

1) great idea to waterprrof your emergency ba.g. I will be sure to do this next time.

2) I like the idea of the credit card flashlight and since I do wear a lanyard on board for a bit of cash & my S&S card it would be a great addition to my lanyard.

2) Yes I do keep a flashlight on my nightstand at home. It is a small one that hangs on the switch to my lamp. If the power is off when I need to go the bathroom, I can switch on the flashlight to avoid a fall in the dark. I keep a flashlight and roadside emergency kit in my car as well. My insurance policies and other important documents are in a safe deposit box at the bank as well.

3) I like to be prepared - if you don't then more power to you. Just don't get on my case because I am. And don't ask to use my emergency lights and supplies because you are not prepared. No - I am the type to share mine with those who didn't prepare.

4) When we first got our passports I made copies of the first page for backup and scanned it into my computer to a password protected file and emailed it to myself and my daughter. If lost I can access it from any computer or she can

forward it to an Embassy to help the replacement process go faster.

Thanks to those of you who found my suggestion helpful. It looks like others think the same way and have made up their own emergency kits. Thanks for sharing.

1) great idea to waterprrof your emergency ba.g. I will be sure to do this next time.

2) I like the idea of the credit card flashlight and since I do wear a lanyard on board for a bit of cash & my S&S card it would be a great addition to my lanyard.

2) Yes I do keep a flashlight on my nightstand at home. It is a small one that hangs on the switch to my lamp. If the power is off when I need to go the bathroom, I can switch on the flashlight to avoid a fall in the dark. I keep a flashlight and roadside emergency kit in my car as well. My insurance policies and other important documents are in a safe deposit box at the bank as well.

3) I like to be prepared - if you don't then more power to you. Just don't get on my case because I am. And don't ask to use my emergency lights and supplies because you are not prepared. No - I am the type to share mine with those who didn't prepare.

4) When we first got our passports I made copies of the first page for backup and scanned it into my computer to a password protected file and emailed it to myself and my daughter. If lost I can access it from any computer or she can

Great ideas thanks for sharing.

I have been packing aflashight for our cruises for several years. After the Splendor incident I also put our money, credit cards, and passports into one of those wallet thing that you wear around your neck and under your shirt. I put it in the safe, but before going to bed, we hang it on the robe hook along with a baseball cap with LED lights in the bill. I also set out a pair of shoes for each of us to slip on.

It may seem ridiculous to some, but I say be prepared. In an emergency you can't take a bag with you to the muster station but if we are in our cabin we can grab this and go.

One other thing we do now. As soon as we board and know where our muster station is we decide on a designated area near the muster station or on an open deck. We agree to this meeting place in case we are not together on the ship and an emergency arises.

That is a wonderful idea. I can't imagine what those people are having to go through to get passports for flights home and credit cards to get a flight. I am taking this hint and using it on my next cruise.

Your number 4 is one I never thought of until yesterday when I was reading a post on the Costa thread. That poster also said he emails his health record (I guess any meds he takes/issue he has) to himself also.

This info would be good for any emergency!

Flashlights have come a long way since the days of the weak powerd Maglites.

I always always carry a flashlight with me no matter where I go, because you are guaranteed to run into darkness half the day.

I can't tell you how many times I have found keys, money, or other items dropped to the ground in the dark and yet never noticed by the owners because it was too dark, and they didn't have a flashlight to help them see their way in the dark. Quite often simply parking a car in a dark / dimly lit parking lot, getting out and having stuff fall out of the loose pocket is one of the biggest hazards one will encounter. Because you're so distracted with getting out of the car, you don't notice your keys or cellphone or wallet falling out onto the ground, and yet it's so dark you don't even see it while you go about your business. A quick flash of the flashlight can help illuminate the area around the car to ensure nothing was left on the ground by accident.

When I travel, I always use my flashlight to look under the dark bed area to see if I dropped any valuables, chargers, etc under the bed during my stay. I also use my flashlight to look under the seats in the rental car because quite often my kids will have dropped something small there as well. A flashlight is an essential item, not just an option.

That said, don't buy the Maglites, even the LED ones - they are pricey, weak, and not good quality. There are so many better LED flashlights for far less.

I carry a $10 Energizer 1AA flashlight I bought from CostCo 4 years ago, and it is so bright it could light the way as a car headlight. The light output is adjustable simply by pressing on the end cap button, and the 1AA battery lasts for hours.

You can get much better ones like Fenix flashlights, or many more, simply by looking very quickly at candlepowerforums.com and seeing a recommendation or two for a cheap flashlight, that is 100x better than what you'd get in a retail store, like the cheap but poor maglites.

I will always carry a flashlight, because the ability to see, even in the dark, is a fundamental need. It shouldn't take an emergency for one to realize this.

Flashlights have come a long way since the days of the weak powerd Maglites.

I also use my flashlight to look under the seats in the rental car because quite often my kids will have dropped something small there as well. A flashlight is an essential item, not just an option.

Also not a bad idea to check under car seat in Hawaii/warm tropical climates especially... before you drive off...but not on a full stomach..Alamo was the worst for me on not cleaning underseats and trash attracting bugs..huge bugs...this is old news..much could be better now...90's etc.

We've been listening to passengers accounts of the ship losing power and everyone struggling to get around in the dark,

which caused even more panic.

We leave on the Triumph next saturday and my husband says he's bringing his flashlight with us.

He's not expecting trouble, but he said "I bet those passengers wished they had thought of bringing a flashlight."

He's not being ridiculous, is he? I don't think so...:D

The man is entirely logical.

My wife has since instructed that 'we' are buying a pair of flashlights soon

so we'll have them both for the house and for our next cruise.

She too is entirely logical, although I hate to admit that in public. :cool:

I know people who routinely carry small flashlights with them on cruises

and now I think about it, I too carried a tiny one in my carry-on.

Wife's lights will be way more powerful though... ;)

I always take a small flashlight with the little strap( extra batteries) that goes around my wrist. I use for the bathroom at night and for possible problems. It doesn't have to be a big rock, what if a generator goes out, light switch breaks. When at sea with or without a window, the room can be very dark if anything goes wrong. Next cruise we will take 2!!

I actually make that list 'tiny' along with insurance info and numbers - as in credit card size - laminate it and bring it along with me in my beach safe and my travels in port! You never know when you may need to contact your insurer and having the numbers onboard is often not good enuf!

I actually make that list 'tiny' along with insurance info and numbers - as in credit card size - laminate it and bring it along with me in my beach safe and my travels in port! You never know when you may need to contact your insurer and having the numbers onboard is often not good enuf!

I do the same thing - list Carnival's travel issues #, travel insurance, credit cards, etc. and one goes in each of our wallets. That way if one of us has a wallet lost or stolen the other has all the contact info.

I don't put the actual card numbers - just the international and 800 numbers to call. The bank can look me up but you don't want anything personally identifying on that paper.

Archived