Bon Voyage Experience

mzwaag

They essentially treat you as a 4-hour passenger. They run a security check on you so they do require passport and other personal information when you book the BVE.

True for international passengers. US citizens don't need a passport. Drivers License will do.

• 2 weeks later...
They are served a four course lunch with wine in the main dining room. If they prefer eating at the buffet or the IC they can do that instead or in addition to the dining room. There is no charge for coffee except the specialty brews. I do not see why they would not substitute soda for wine at lunch, just ask about it.

Thank you. I hope to get my dad on a ship soon!

We got back a couple of weeks ago from the Panama Canal cruise on the Coral. My father-in-law went onboard with us in San Pedro for the Bon Vogage Experience. It was great! We did not do the tour with the ship we took him ourselves. We had a great lunch and got to pick from a list off a menu. Wine was offered to all of us. We all got a complimentary picture of all of us when we got on board. It was great and we were the very first people to board at 11:00. He thought it was great to be able to sit out on our balcony and to also see what a cruise is all about! :)

All he needed was his drivers license!

P&O part of carnival do a similar day from Southampton, where you can have lunch and a tour including cabins for £30. Not linked to other cruisers as bon voyage but rather a promotion or marketing exercise, similar deal on FCC etc if you book a cruise with them.

We are having a look at Azura in July prior to the Grand Pricess in August.

Gillian

• 1 month later...
This wouldn't happen to include a visit to the bridge, would it? We're thinking about doing this on Star in September. They had me at "early boarding"!
No bridge tour. We did this today on the Sapphire. We were told to check in by 11:00am and after getting a sticker to put on my shirt, we were directed to a waiting area right next to the boarding entrance. The Captain's Circle host came at about 11:30 to give us some instructions, check us off a list, and then we were ready to board. A few people opted to take a guided tour before going to lunch. Right after boarding, we had our photos taken. We headed to the IC where we checked out the goodies; I had some chicken salad. Then off to lunch. Delicious. I chose to have the chick pea soup and then the salmon with some white wine. Both were terrific. Best I've had. We each selected a dessert but I asked for a Love Boat Dream. Unfortunately, they had only one so the waiter gave us each little spoons and we shared.

After lunch, we wandered the ship, checked out the buffet and new dessert area on the Sapphire, and then we went up to the Sanctuary. They let us hang out there for about an hour and a half, and then it was time to head back to the IC. For me, it was more chicken salad. Slap my hand but I'd brought a Baggie for just this situation and scooped the chicken salad into the Baggie to take home. (It made a delicious dinner.) Ran back to the photo desk to pick up our photos (they turned out great and were included), then off the ship just before 3pm. Terrific day. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, and plan to do so. :)

This wouldn't happen to include a visit to the bridge, would it? We're thinking about doing this on Star in September. They had me at "early boarding"!

Unfortunately, no. My Dad asked if we could see the bridge right off the bat :D

Unfortunately, no. My Dad asked if we could see the bridge right off the bat :D
Which is completely understandable. The Captain is responsible for the preparation for sailing and the Bridge is pretty busy on embarkation day. Bridge tours are always done while the ship is at sea. With the new regulations going into effect, not sure if there will be Bridge tours in the future. They'll certainly be very limited and permission will need to be granted by the cruise company. This is in reaction to the Captain of the Concordia having a young woman on the Bridge and distracting him until it was too late.

No bridge tour. We did this today on the Sapphire. We were told to check in by 11:00am and after getting a sticker to put on my shirt, we were directed to a waiting area right next to the boarding entrance. The Captain's Circle host came at about 11:30 to give us some instructions, check us off a list, and then we were ready to board. A few people opted to take a guided tour before going to lunch. Right after boarding, we had our photos taken. We headed to the IC where we checked out the goodies; I had some chicken salad. Then off to lunch. Delicious. I chose to have the chick pea soup and then the salmon with some white wine. Both were terrific. Best I've had. We each selected a dessert but I asked for a Love Boat Dream. Unfortunately, they had only one so the waiter gave us each little spoons and we shared.

After lunch, we wandered the ship, checked out the buffet and new dessert area on the Sapphire, and then we went up to the Sanctuary. They let us hang out there for about an hour and a half, and then it was time to head back to the IC. For me, it was more chicken salad. Slap my hand but I'd brought a Baggie for just this situation and scooped the chicken salad into the Baggie to take home. (It made a delicious dinner.) Ran back to the photo desk to pick up our photos (they turned out great and were included), then off the ship just before 3pm. Terrific day. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, and plan to do so. :)

I LOVE it!!! :D

My family did the BVE last Saturday on our cruise. Probably the best meal we had on the whole trip. They got off the ship at 3pm like they were suppose to, but unfortunately there were 6 people on BVE that did not get off when they were suppose to. We were suppose to sail at 4pm, but they were still paging them at 4:15 to get off the ship, so don't know how often this happens or if it will screw up the program for others to enjoy in the future.

My family did the BVE last Saturday on our cruise. Probably the best meal we had on the whole trip. They got off the ship at 3pm like they were suppose to, but unfortunately there were 6 people on BVE that did not get off when they were suppose to. We were suppose to sail at 4pm, but they were still paging them at 4:15 to get off the ship, so don't know how often this happens or if it will screw up the program for others to enjoy in the future.
That's awful! I sure hope that doesn't happen often. The PA started announcing the BVE passengers to disembark at 2:45pm. Once we were gone, they would have had Muster. The Sapphire appeared to sail on time today because they were in the channel at about 4:15pm.

Does anyone know what time the BVE passengers are supposed to embark in Seattle? For our cruise they start boarding passengers at 10:30, and they listed the BVE as being before regular boarding.
It probably depends on the port. They'll let you know what time to check in when you book the BVE. Chances are they want passengers to check in at 10:30am. That's not the boarding time. We were told to check in by 11:00am but didn't board until after 11:30am. We were the first to board, before the wheelchairs and general boarding.

We also did this last Saturday. As I recall, they were still calling the BVE people at 4:45!:eek: I hope it doesn't screw it up for the program. :rolleyes: Just call me Pollyanna, but I think the people were already off the ship somehow.

Sorry we never met up with you at the BVE or the CC meeting. It was a great cruise! Sorry to be back home and on the 4th load of wash!:rolleyes:

Does anyone know what time the BVE passengers are supposed to embark in Seattle? For our cruise they start boarding passengers at 10:30, and they listed the BVE as being before regular boarding.

This is what we've been discussing in our roll call for the Star in September. The ship isn't even scheduled to pull in to San Francisco until 10:00AM. If BVE starts at 11:00AM....well, you see the problem :eek:

It probably depends on the port. They'll let you know what time to check in when you book the BVE. Chances are they want passengers to check in at 10:30am. That's not the boarding time. We were told to check in by 11:00am but didn't board until after 11:30am. We were the first to board, before the wheelchairs and general boarding.

A new avatar so soon?

We were told that we could not use the BV program in Alaska....because it is not a RT port........

They may just not offer it in Alaska as the number of potential participants in low.

The port not being a RT port as the reason makes no sense.

Caribill...What I was told by the Princess Rep is that it is only done on domestic rt cruises that returns to that port. Alaska has some of the most traveling people in any state....and lots of us take lots of cruises....and all of the ships do Alaska cruises and you would think that they might want more....After all we have to go to Hawaii every year to go to the beach.....and we have to go to China to get good Chinese food...:) Truly, Alaskans take off at the drop of a whistle...and don't bat an eyelash about driving 300 miles to go get ice cream...and BTW....2 hrs north of Seward it is 55 and NO snow....:) but I am thinking it could be warmer...:) As far as traveling....even our dogs run 1000 miles...:)

Archived