A Concordia Crew Member Posts on Facebook

SakeDad

The true hero in saving the lives of so many was......and you're not going to like this.....the captain who got the ship to shallow ground so it didn't capsize. Forget why the accident happened.....had the ship stayed in deeper water, many more lives would have perished and clearly the crew would not have had the 2 hours....it could well have been minutes.

Do we actually know any of this or is it simple conjecture? Do we know he still had control of the ship after the collision, or with no engine power did he simply drift into his final resting place?

The reports in the Italian Press suggest the Captain spent most of his time on the phone to head office and did not declare Mayday - the Coastguard did it for him, he then didn't order evacuation - a junior officer did that. Not much of a hero in my book.

they do practice loading the lifeboats with all the passengers and lowering them into the water. It's a well documented activity by cruise pax who have to go through it.

I seriously doubt this. I have never been on a cruiseship that practices this difficult and dangerous 'activity'.

Crew drills take place every 7 days, Guest drills must take place within 24 hrs of the guests boarding and then there are certain drills that need to be completed on rotation either once every 3 or 6 months. All this drill procedure should be available on the MCA maritime law website. THis is all recorded and all crew MUST sign that they have participated in most cases.

How do the airtight doors work? What if there are people trapped in between the doors?

"...A transcript of a conversation allegedly between the captain and a port official - recorded shortly after the crash - has emerged which suggests Capt Schettino left the ship before all passengers had escaped.

In the transcript, the captain appears to refuse to go back on to the ship to co-ordinate the rescue effort..."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16598232

If the complete transcript was known, its quite likely that the Press would have no need to use the words and phrases "suggests" and "appears to" as they are currently doing in their articles.

It might be clearer then whether the Captain abandoned ship or was trying to help others from the lifeboat/raft, and whether the port official is actually right, or whether he himself hadn't got a clear picture of what was happening from where he was and in the dark.

Can't even hope to work out what really happened until the FULL picture emerges and the vague terms turn to either the Captain 'DID' or 'DID NOT'.

I seriously doubt this. I have never been on a cruiseship that practices this difficult and dangerous 'activity'.

Perhaps you missed ObscureAllure's follow-up post where she clarifies that "It's a well documented activity by cruise pax " actually meant that she believes her 80 year old father did this once, or maybe not. ;)

This is no indicator, but still interesting. Captain Albert Schoonerbeck (sp), the HAL captain who posts a daily blog and just passed 30 years with HAL, has recently written in his blog that he never drinks on board.

Also, Captain Bowland, of the Eurodam, told us last week that he toasts passengers with ginger ale and does not drink while on board.

One Celebrity captain was arrested on the west coast a while back after a spot inspection.

Seems to me that a drinking captain would cast doubts about the management of the cruise line.

We have had dinner at the Captain's table many times on many different cruise ships/lines. The various Captains often, but not always, had wine with dinner and sometimes after dinner drinks as well. I never really gave it much thought before. Now I am beginning to wonder about the wisdom of this....

I just think on the Concordia the crew did not work well as a cohesive group. Direction comes from the top and it seems the captain may have lacked that. I recall the Star Princess fire a few years back. Supposedly it was chaotic but according to passengers everyone was at their muster station rather quickly and the crew, despite the chaos, seemed to know what they were doing and what there roll was. They never abandoned ship but I beleive they were close in doing so. Also once everyone was assembled into their muster station the captain came on and addressed them. If you search it on youtube you will find his address and see the passenger sitting in their muster stations awaiting further instructions. I guess it has to come down to how the crew works together.

Absolutely. Lots of it is communication with the passengers as well. If you keep them informed as to what is really happening, they are less likely to act in desperation.

I'll refer to the Crown Princess. I was on her when she listed severely in 2006 (so severely that any standing passenger was thrown to the ground). Once the ship righted itself most of the way, the captain immediately came over the intercom and addressed the 4,000 passengers and crew. He said they are currently determining the seaworthiness of the ship and to please remain calm as the situation is being handled professionally. Immediately and quietly, passengers began helping each other to the muster stations. By the time we got there, the crew members(some injured themselves) were already lining people up. Within minutes, the captain came over and said the ship is seaworthy, but will not move until the coast guard arrives. We were moved in an orderly fashion to lounges around the ship, while passengers and crew set up triage in the ships three dining rooms.

It was really amazing to see how well passengers and crew handled themselves, not knowing if we were sinking. All it took was a little communication from the bridge to reassure passengers that if the ship were not seaworthy, we would be well taken care of.

Absolutely. Lots of it is communication with the passengers as well. If you keep them informed as to what is really happening, they are less likely to act in desperation.

I'll refer to the Crown Princess. I was on her when she listed severely in 2006 (so severely that any standing passenger was thrown to the ground). Once the ship righted itself most of the way, the captain immediately came over the intercom and addressed the 4,000 passengers and crew. He said they are currently determining the seaworthiness of the ship and to please remain calm as the situation is being handled professionally. Immediately and quietly, passengers began helping each other to the muster stations. By the time we got there, the crew members(some injured themselves) were already lining people up. Within minutes, the captain came over and said the ship is seaworthy, but will not move until the coast guard arrives. We were moved in an orderly fashion to lounges around the ship, while passengers and crew set up triage in the ships three dining rooms.

It was really amazing to see how well passengers and crew handled themselves, not knowing if we were sinking. All it took was a little communication from the bridge to reassure passengers that if the ship were not seaworthy, we would be well taken care of.

Wow..we were on the Crown the cruise right before yours and had friends on the "TILT" cruise. They told us many people were seriously injured. Scary stuff.

"...A transcript of a conversation allegedly between the captain and a port official - recorded shortly after the crash - has emerged which suggests Capt Schettino left the ship before all passengers had escaped.

In the transcript, the captain appears to refuse to go back on to the ship to co-ordinate the rescue effort..."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16598232

If the complete transcript was known, its quite likely that the Press would have no need to use the words and phrases "suggests" and "appears to" as they are currently doing in their articles.

It might be clearer then whether the Captain abandoned ship or was trying to help others from the lifeboat/raft, and whether the port official is actually right, or whether he himself hadn't got a clear picture of what was happening from where he was and in the dark.

Can't even hope to work out what really happened until the FULL picture emerges and the vague terms turn to either the Captain 'DID' or 'DID NOT'.

Was just reading that Doesnt look to be in his favor , or issue any credit to what the OP claims.

Horrific events now exposed, RIP to the bereaved and heartfelt sympathy to those involved and affected. :-(

Not wishing to be heartless, Insurance trade press is carrying this:-

http://www.insurancetimes.co.uk/story.aspx?source=itNewsBreakingNow&storycode=1394392

It's going to be a bad year for employee bonuses at the reinsurers.

Was just reading that Doesnt look to be in his favor , or issue any credit to what the OP claims.

I agree it doesn't look that way.

I've found what appears to be a full transcript of the call between a Port official and the Captain, but be aware that below the transcript the article states:

"...A Coast Guard official on Giglio, the island where the ship hit a rock, said he could not confirm the authenticity of the tape and said the Coast Guard did not give it to the newspaper. There was no comment available from the captain’s lawyer..."

That leaves us with the question of whether any such transcript even exists in reality or, if it does, whether its genuine or not and we probably won't know until the case goes through the courts, if indeed it does. Its a relatively lengthy (compared to the little bits that have been taken out of it in various media coverage) transcript:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9020679/Costa-Concordia-coast-guard-to-captain-Get-back-on-board-the-ship.html

Also, reports are coming in that 5 more bodies have been recovered from the ship today.

I ran across this today on Facebook...

If all of this is true and comes out through the investigation it will be very interesting. But we already know that all the passengers were indeed NOT rescued in 2 hours. There are charges the Captian didn't stay until the end and so much more. But I thought it was interesting to hear from another point of view. Thoughts?:confused:

too bad i've yet to hear or read one story of crew assistance from any passengers pov.

too bad i've yet to hear or read one story of crew assistance from any passengers pov.

I've read a couple reports in the media about the crew helping, Sky News had an article about a dancer who made a human ladder to help people down. It was the dancers, cooks, room stewards helping passengers, just NOT the officers.

Since divers are still finding bodies that were trapped inside of the ship, it's abundantly clear that the Captain left the ship before all passengers were evacuated. The recorded conversation with the official at Livorno shows that he was on his way off with his 2nd in command while the evacuation was underway and that's why he was ordered back to the ship to command the evacuation.

The crew is not at fault here. They did everything that they could do to save as many lives as they could save. I don't think that anyone is blaming the crew. The Captain was the one person who caused this horrible disaster that was 100% avoidable.

Wow..we were on the Crown the cruise right before yours and had friends on the "TILT" cruise. They told us many people were seriously injured. Scary stuff.

It was the most terrifying moment of my life. But the Captain and crew were professional and when the ship righted herself, we felt cared for even if we had to abandon.

I don't blame the crew of the Concordia. Perhaps they didn't know what to do, but from my understanding, they had zero instruction from the bridge. That's a recipe for disaster.

I have never done a drill that involved anything more than a chat in a warm comfy lounge and donning a life jacket. Perhaps one step in the right direction might at least be moving the passengers to the life boat positions on the promenade deck - whatever the weather? In this case though by the time the 'abandon ship' order was given half the ships could not used and the panic had truly set in. I am just glad I was not one of the passengers and my heart goes out to those who were. Finding someone to blame is the way we deal with disaster, sadly but blame will not erase the trauma and tragedy.

So now with all of this new info was this FB post just a Boldface Lie or the OP version of the truth?

Maybe the FB page was posted by the captain's defense team to prepare for the trial. If they throw in enough doubt, he may get away with something less serious.

According to many accounts the passengers that had just boarded were not scheduled for their muster station drill until the next day. There wasn't a next day, hence the absence of passenger drills.

This is a very good point. The crew could have been will trained, but if the passengers had not gone through any training and had no idea where their muster station where I could see great confusion on board. Also if the Captain went missing and left the ship I could also see great confusion with the ships leadership in a time when that needed it most.

Just my two cents. :rolleyes:

So now with all of this new info was this FB post just a Boldface Lie or the OP version of the truth? It does seem some of the crew was quite heroric just a shame some of the officers didnt follow thier lead.

Katia is real, and her message is real. It was written from her perspective -- onboard the vessel -- helping her guests.

It is my belief that she is referencing the last usable "lifeboat" -- and it is also my belief that they didn't leave guests stranded at their location when the last usable "lifeboat" was lowered.

Also -- officers from the Concordia were piloting those usable lifeboats.

While this was a tragedy of epic proportions -- it could have been much, much worse. Injury and loss of life was a part of this accident -- but the fact of the matter is -- over 4,000 people WERE evacuated within 2 hours of the ship hitting the rock. Not EVERY guest was evacuated -- it is my belief that those who were still aboard were in a different section of the ship from the Captain/ and the lifeboats.

Again -- there are over 4,000 versions and perspectives -- but this message is from Katia and it is HER perspective and observations.

I have never done a drill that involved anything more than a chat in a warm comfy lounge and donning a life jacket. Perhaps one step in the right direction might at least be moving the passengers to the life boat positions on the promenade deck - whatever the weather? In this case though by the time the 'abandon ship' order was given half the ships could not used and the panic had truly set in. I am just glad I was not one of the passengers and my heart goes out to those who were. Finding someone to blame is the way we deal with disaster, sadly but blame will not erase the trauma and tragedy.

I have been on two Carnival cruises and we went to the muster stations in the drill. I have also been on two Princess cruises and both times we went to a designated lounge during the drill. I am on a 5 day Carnival cruise next week. I think the muster drill will be spot on and no messing.:)

Katia is real, and her message is real. It was written from her perspective -- onboard the vessel -- helping her guests.

It is my belief that she is referencing the last usable "lifeboat" -- and it is also my belief that they didn't leave guests stranded at their location when the last usable "lifeboat" was lowered.

While this was a tragedy of epic proportions -- it could have been much, much worse. Injury and loss of life was a part of this accident -- but the fact of the matter is -- over 4,000 people WERE evacuated within 2 hours of the ship hitting the rock. Not EVERY guest was evacuated -- it is my belief that those who were still aboard were in a different section of the ship from the Captain/ and the lifeboats.

Again -- there are over 4,000 versions and perspectives -- but this message is from Katia and it is HER perspective and observations.

How are you able to speak on her behalf? Do you know her? Are you her?

Until she LEFT the remaining ones on board to fend for themselves.

Responsible ships officers would have ascertained the status beyond "their" station before co-opting the last usable boat for THEMSELVES.

Simply NOT true - read Mickey_d_ mouse 's account of how HER lifeboat was piloted by a staff person from engineering and a WAITER. She SAW NO ship's officers assisting passengers - although I would like to think there were some officers more responsible than their captain and Katia. It's nice to think that a few officers did not concentrate on saving their own skins and actually tried to assist passengers before themselves. Apparently the Purser was doing his best before he was injured. f

They had to be evacuated because of the incompetant and reckless actions of the captain.

Archived