Binoculars

Labarador

We just bought these at at a BassPro Outdoor World shop.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/steiner-binoculars-7x50-marine.html

They're a mid-size- not lightweight, but not full-size and clunky, either. This pair has rubber armor and caps so that if you drop it into the water when you're in your kayak (a possibility with the trip we're taking), they won't self-destruct. We paid $20 more that the price listed in the link, plus sales tax, of course, but when a knowledgeable human helps you pick things out in a store (there are so few of them these days!) I like to reward them by purchasing it there.

Also understand that if the ship is rocking, looking through binoculars will certainly make you feel queasy :confused:.

It's an acquired skill, like 'sea legs'

Since we tend to sail from New York, we bring an overabundance of stuff. I usually bring 7x50 waterproof binoculars, originally purchased for sailing.

Here is a link that I saved for when I got closer to making a binocular purchase for our Alaska cruise. There are other binocular thread links inside it. Lots of good information. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1167113

I have been catching up on reading lots of information on which binoculars to take on a cruise and have found many good things about the ZenRay Summit model 10x42. Does anybody have any experience using this model wearing glasses?:confused:

Go online and check out LLBean. They have lightweight and powerful binoculars by Nikon under their name. I love mine and Boy! they are powerful! Also, LLBean has free shipping and will replace or refund them for any reason, even thirty years from now!

Several years ago, we bought two pairs of Olympus 8X25 PCI mini-binoculars. As I recall, we paid something like $50 each at Walmart (currently $59.95 at Amazon). They have been constant companions on all our cruises and on various hiking and canoing excursions here in Florida. They have been excellent - other people have commented on how good they are. Included is a small pouch that can be put on your belt. I also have a pair of Swift Audubon binoculars ($$$$) and used to bring those, but, although they're a superior binocular, they're too large to be convenient.

Art

We were on RCI Radiance to Alaska in a GS and there were a complimentary pair in our cabin for our use..nice unexpected ammenity !

We were recently on the Celebrity Silhouette, in Aqua Class, and each cabin is furnished a compact 8x21 binocular with a Celebrity logo on it.

I asked the front office the cost of purchasing it (mainly as a souvenir), and was told $17.00, but she said I could find it much cheaper elsewhere. I am relating this to give you an idea of the quality of them.

I am glad I brought my own trustworthy 7x35 set. The larger objective lens made it much easier to find objects at sea, and the quality was like day and night better than the 'loaner'.

Archived