DSC for Children 6 & 8 -

ctfamilyof5

I'm curious about something, now that I've read through this thread. (And I'd like to state in advance that I just paid off my cruise and am pre-paying the charge for me, my husband AND my 7 year old) so you get no fight from me, just wondering this now ..

Why are kids charged the same, but then 2 and under is exempt from this charge? I didn't know that a 2 year old wouldn't be charged until the OP stated this. My kid can eat the same amount as me most days, will dirty up the room, will make a mess around the pool, etc - so I have no issue paying that much for her (in the long run, the $200+ in service charges for all three of us are less than having to individually tip each day, each experience, each meal, so no biggie for me)

But in my experience, a 2 year old will still eat the cruise ship food, and sleep in the bed, and can dirty stuff up JUST as much (if not more!) than a 5 or 7 or 10 year old. So why are they exempt?

Curious, not confrontational :)

I'm curious about something, now that I've read through this thread. (And I'd like to state in advance that I just paid off my cruise and am pre-paying the charge for me, my husband AND my 7 year old) so you get no fight from me, just wondering this now ..

Why are kids charged the same, but then 2 and under is exempt from this charge? I didn't know that a 2 year old wouldn't be charged until the OP stated this. My kid can eat the same amount as me most days, will dirty up the room, will make a mess around the pool, etc - so I have no issue paying that much for her (in the long run, the $200+ in service charges for all three of us are less than having to individually tip each day, each experience, each meal, so no biggie for me)

But in my experience, a 2 year old will still eat the cruise ship food, and sleep in the bed, and can dirty stuff up JUST as much (if not more!) than a 5 or 7 or 10 year old. So why are they exempt?

Well they would have to pick an age at some point and time. That was most likely the logical age (at the end of the toddler stage) that they felt made the most sense. It wouldn't make any sense to charge someone that full DSC at the age of 9 months, since 9 months, most would not be ordering a meal in a restaurant.

I do not know the logic.

I would point out that a family of five is cruising. one is already exempt from the service charge. If the OP deletes two other kids DSC, the crew is only splitting $24 per day to care for all 5 people, all of whom are eating, sleeping and need service and attention. I hope the OP leaves the service charges and saves up for kids club tips. I also hope for world peace, knowing my hopes do not change other's behavior.

Yes, everyone has an opinion. Where the crew is concerned I guess I am passionate. I would hope you would be so thrilled with the service you would not alter the DSC.

I don't like to pay my property taxes every January, but I do. Geez, I would rather spend that money on a cruise!

So true, Donna. It's part of our social contract. The bulk of our property tax here goes to the schools and we don't have children. But we don't ask to have our taxes adjusted!

Schooling benefits everyone.

These crew members work harder than just about anyone here can even begin to imagine, they deserve the DSC. Folks may rant and opine about the system, but it is what it is. When they start their own cruise line they can do it the way they want!:D

Very good article on CC here.

OP if your point is just to save money on your cruise, you should price out NCL (with the DSC) vs. another cruise line. If you find a cruise that seems to be a better value for your money (all factors considered), take it!

However if you truly are opposed to what you call "tipping" in advance, I suggest first taking an NCL cruise before judging in advance. If you are like many people you'll find that the DSC is well worth it given the great service you will get. Of course there are always exceptions to every rule but it's hard to comment on the DSC before you cruise with them.

I myself often add add'l small tips for bar servers, waiters etc throughout the cruise plus the room steward at the end of the cruise, but that's me.

We will be traveling with 2 children (6 & 8) - on NCL are you able to stop the auto DSC for the children and apply what you want at the end of the cruise? Also are the children charged the same rate of $12/day - or is theirs reduced? I ask because as they will spend time in the Kids Club, I would also like to tip there as well, but if I am forced to pay the $12/day for them with out choice then that they may deter me from "tipping" the team of people that will spend more time with them.

I know on other cruise lines you are able to stop the auto tip (for adults and children) - and tip as you go or feel at the end.

Once again: Tip! Don't Tip! Leave all of the DSC! Remove part or all of the DSC! I CHOOSE to leave the DSC, but it is your choice to make, so just be at peace with your decision. Finally, remember that less than 10 percent of people cruising actually spend time on these boards, and this probably isn't a good cross-section of opinions.

Bob

It isn't a tip. It's a service charge. It's charged to everyone and it needs to be paid. If you want to tip over and above the service charge after the two kids run the crew ragged,.....well, the crew will appreciate that tip. They live on the service charge.

Four can live as cheaply as.......four.

I have 5 children, who make a mess in the cabin, who get more items from the buffet than adults, who are more likely to have special requests than their parent at restaurants, and are more likely to spill their beverages... Why would I pay less for them? They are also less likely provide revenue to the ship paying for alcohol and gambling... Two cabins, only 2 adults - NCL is losing money with us!

On our last cruise, the family suite next to ours contained a lot of people. It looked like two adults and lots of kids. It took NCL a brief period of time to clean our room with only two people while they were camped out in the suite next door. :D

On our last cruise, the family suite next to ours contained a lot of people. It looked like two adults and lots of kids. It took NCL a brief period of time to clean our room with only two people while they were camped out in the suite next door. :D

From my experience, I would agree that the staff spend more time servicing cabins with children.

does anyone know, just out of interest.. are the basic wage of service staff ie waiters,cabin staff and food staff..stuctured the same as the kids club staff.. ie they depend on tips.. or do certain staff get a higher basic..:)

I know officers , shop and salon staff have a different payment system..

About a year or so ago when on the NCL Dawn, I was talking with one of my son's counselors. She had recently come over from Carnival. According to her, NCL paid significantly higher. NCL also required more education. She didn't give me any specific numbers or anything, but made it sound as if the kids counselors were paid more along the lines of the cruise directors staff, then the waiters, cabin stewards and many behind the scene people.

Again, just talking, sorta teacher to teacher

About a year or so ago when on the NCL Dawn, I was talking with one of my son's counselors. She had recently come over from Carnival. According to her, NCL paid significantly higher. NCL also required more education. She didn't give me any specific numbers or anything, but made it sound as if the kids counselors were paid more along the lines of the cruise directors staff, then the waiters, cabin stewards and many behind the scene people.

Again, just talking, sorta teacher to teacher

That was my understanding in talking to the kids club staff on the Star earlier this month. However, they also appreciated me asking how I could leave them a tip at the end of the week.

Just to be clear, the kitchen staff, cabin staff etc are part of the DSC, the kids crew are explicitly exempt.

That was my understanding in talking to the kids club staff on the Star earlier this month. However' date=' they also appreciated me asking how I could leave them a tip at the end of the week.

Just to be clear, the kitchen staff, cabin staff etc are part of the DSC, the kids crew are explicitly exempt.[/quote']

Hope it didn't sound like I was saying don't tip the kids crew. I fully believe in taking care of them, they are after all taking care of my child. I fogot to quote the prior post and was just trying to answer the question about how they were paid.

Yes, I will answer your question with a question. Why does NCL charge $12/day for a 3 year old and nothing for a 2 1/2 year old?

I actually gave my opinion on this is post #27. But at what age do you think they should make the cut off, or do you think they shouldn't. Do you think they should charge $12 for a 10 month old? I'm sure they just make the cut off by the rounded year. For a 2 1/2 yr old they would have to calculate to the month every kid's birthday. It's easier to just round it to the year of their last birthday and call it a day.

So true, Donna. It's part of our social contract. The bulk of our property tax here goes to the schools and we don't have children. But we don't ask to have our taxes adjusted!

Schooling benefits everyone.

These crew members work harder than just about anyone here can even begin to imagine, they deserve the DSC. Folks may rant and opine about the system, but it is what it is. When they start their own cruise line they can do it the way they want!:D

Very good article on CC here.

Valley- agree. For 28 1/2 out of 29 years of home ownership it has been little ole me. No kiddos either. And I gladly pay my taxes. But I still don't like writing the check. :) especially when I know it would cover a 2 week cruise in a suite!

Valley- agree. For 28 1/2 out of 29 years of home ownership it has been little ole me. No kiddos either. And I gladly pay my taxes. But I still don't like writing the check. :) especially when I know it would cover a 2 week cruise in a suite!

I had to write a $5000+ check to our dentist and my first thought was,

"I couldda paid for a cruise instead". :o

I actually gave my opinion on this is post #27. But at what age do you think they should make the cut off, or do you think they shouldn't. Do you think they should charge $12 for a 10 month old? I'm sure they just make the cut off by the rounded year. For a 2 1/2 yr old they would have to calculate to the month every kid's birthday. It's easier to just round it to the year of their last birthday and call it a day.

Since you missed my point entirely, I will spell it out a bit for you. At three years old does a passenger suddenly use $12 worth of 'service' from the crew, but younger than that they use zero? Of course not. A sliding scale should be in place. 0 to 5 pay $6/day, 6-12 pay $9/day, 13 and up pay $12/day. This is just an example.

This is my opinion and you are free to agree or disagree.

I feel that many kids make more of a mess or perhaps just cause a room to be messier than adults due to extra items needed and toys. Younger kids tend to be messier when they eat than adults. Unless the parents are going to run behind and pick up and clean after the kids- please leave the charges on. My comment has no bearing on your as parents... only what I have observed on cruises or in general public. The staff works very hard to make our cruises spectacular. If they get paid less INCLUDING the DSC we may find that the quality of people wanting those jobs will decrease.

Since you missed my point entirely, I will spell it out a bit for you. At three years old does a passenger suddenly use $12 worth of 'service' from the crew, but younger than that they use zero? Of course not. A sliding scale should be in place. 0 to 5 pay $6/day, 6-12 pay $9/day, 13 and up pay $12/day. This is just an example.

Have you seen 12 year olds eat? Especially boys?

Everyone who is on the ship should pay the same DSC no matter what the age. I have seen the mess that a toddler makes (saw one today where every sugar pack, jelly, creamer and food was all on the floor) and I can tell you that I am alot neater and quiter than a child under 2.

I am sure if you asked the server if they would rather wait on a family of five or just a couple, who do you think they would prefer.

I've never commented on one of these DSC threads before...and I am not aiming this at anyone in particular. But if you can't afford to pay the DSC for children...then leave them at home. If you have a "large family" and can't afford to pay the DSC for all of your family members...then perhaps you can't afford to cruise.

I'm certainly not rich, and I usually don't tip extra on my cruises, except maybe a few dollars extra to an awesome steward. But to even think of removing the DSC...that's just downright cheap. And if it truly is due to financial hardship, maybe you should take a different type of vacation.

[/ending rant]

;)

This has nothing to do with whether or not I can afford it - it was a simple question as to whether or not you COULD or COULDN'T adjust the DSC. As well as understanding whether or not any of it went towards the kids club.

Thank you to all the people that actually answered the question~

For the others - well thanks for stopping by~ your comments were quite entertaining~

Archived