DSC for Children 6 & 8 -

ctfamilyof5

We will be traveling with 2 children (6 & 8) - on NCL are you able to stop the auto DSC for the children and apply what you want at the end of the cruise? Also are the children charged the same rate of $12/day - or is theirs reduced? I ask because as they will spend time in the Kids Club, I would also like to tip there as well, but if I am forced to pay the $12/day for them with out choice then that they may deter me from "tipping" the team of people that will spend more time with them.

I know on other cruise lines you are able to stop the auto tip (for adults and children) - and tip as you go or feel at the end.

We will be traveling with 2 children (6 & 8) - on NCL are you able to stop the auto DSC for the children and apply what you want at the end of the cruise? Also are the children charged the same rate of $12/day - or is theirs reduced? I ask because as they will spend time in the Kids Club, I would also like to tip there as well, but if I am forced to pay the $12/day for them with out choice then that they may deter me from "tipping" the team of people that will spend more time with them.

I know on other cruise lines you are able to stop the auto tip (for adults and children) - and tip as you go or feel at the end.

On NCL, you are only allowed to cancel the service charge if there is an unresolved problem with service. Your 6 and 8 year olds eat, sleep, etc on the ship, so the people that provide those services need to be paid.

Hopefully you'll budget enough to cover the kids club too, but the DSC is part of the cruise cost.

Unless your children don't sleep in a cabin that has to be cleaned and don't eat in a restaurant or the buffet you shouldn't remove the service charge. If you want to tip the kid's club staff that's fine, but don't punish the other crew by doing it. The DSC is not a tip, it's the vast majority of dining room, cabin, and support staff's salary. They serve your kids just like they serve you, and deserve to be paid.

This is a VERY passionate topic on here. The DSC is part of the cost of your cruise. It's not a "tip". Unless you have significant, unresolved issues with the service, these amounts should not be adjusted for you or your children. With freestyle and its staff rotations it's impossible to "tip" all those that make your trip awesome any other way.

Yes, you absolutely can adjust the DSC (aka tips) you are charged per day. I would tend to agree with you that $12/day per child is high. I would probably adjust it down to $6/day per child and then use the other money to tip kids club or others who have provided great service to you and your family.

Don't let anyone fool you, the DSC is auto tipping. You have always been able to adjust it as you should be able to.

This thread will probably get pretty heated with people expressing how cheap you must be if you adjust the DSC or the DSC is not the tip. Just keep in mind it is just their opinion, and we are all entitled to our own.

If you ask to have the auto DSC removed or reduced for the children, you will be asked WHY since they'll think that service has not been satisfactory. NCL wants to be able to improve the unsatisfactory service.

I would tend to agree with you that $12/day per child is high. I would probably adjust it down to $6/day per child and then use the other money to tip kids club or others who have provided great service to you and your family.

Can you take a moment and explain why a child passenger takes half the NCL resources verses an adult passenger?

Children very often make more of a mess then adults (not all children, but most). I think the OP has to do what is right for her/him but I would make sure to have the extra funds to tip the kids program staff....even if it meant being careful on other on board spending.

I have a different suggestion. Find something you can do without for a couple of bucks per day, and put that money towards the cruise so you can pay the DSC and tip the kid's club attendants. A $3.50 per day latte adds up to $100 per month.

Yes, you absolutely can adjust the DSC (aka tips) you are charged per day. I would tend to agree with you that $12/day per child is high. I would probably adjust it down to $6/day per child and then use the other money to tip kids club or others who have provided great service to you and your family.

Don't let anyone fool you, the DSC is auto tipping. You have always been able to adjust it as you should be able to.

This thread will probably get pretty heated with people expressing how cheap you must be if you adjust the DSC or the DSC is not the tip. Just keep in mind it is just their opinion, and we are all entitled to our own.

Finally some common sense. What I have found, unfortunately, here and on Facebook, that there is no end to opinion and attitude but kind of low on facts. Many have very strong "opinions" and tend to belittle and berate those that do not agree.

My NCL Personal Cruise Consultant referred to the DSC as "tips and gratuity" in an email. It is called a service charge to enable them to ask for it up front and gives the company control over how it is dispersed. Google "service charge vs tips" and there are articles that explain the reason for the label but it still goes to supplement wages, just like a tip. I have always paid the DSC and will continue to do so, but I do not then "tip" everyone additional monies. Except for bar drinks and other special services the DSC is their tip.

Here is what the FAQ says:

"If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board?

Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges."

IMHO (and yes, it is my opinion) they shouldn't be adjusted unless you have a bona fide service issue and they should be adjusted proportionately (i.e. you don't remove the entire amount because of a service issue with one or two employees).

Well not all - my 2yr old won't be charged --

I am aware they charge - I was more wondering if I had the ability to adjust the charge---

Yes it can be adjusted at the front desk. It happens often especially with big families...

on NCL are you able to stop the auto DSC for the children and apply what you want at the end of the cruise?

-Technically you can remove or adjust this amount. Many on here have given you good reason, why they feel you should not do this, that you may want to take into consideration before you do.

Also are the children charged the same rate of $12/day - or is theirs reduced?

-They are the same rate

I ask because as they will spend time in the Kids Club,

-The DSC does not go towards the cruise director or his/her staff, therefore because the Kid's Crew will be entertaining your children instead of the cruise director wouldn't make sense. Unless you thought the Kid's crew were going to serve your children at meals, do their dishes, clean up their mess or make their beds etc.

I would also like to tip there as well, but if I am forced to pay the $12/day for them with out choice then that they may deter me from "tipping" the team of people that will spend more time with them.

-it's too bad that you did not calculate that before booking a freestyle cruise

-Yes other cruise lines can do this because they are not freestyle. With freestyle you are dealing with a different person for everything. The waiter/ess at lunch will be different than dinner, which will be different than the next day. So in order to tip each and every person that would normally be tipped you would have to carry a wad of cash around with you. As well if you opt out or adjust the DSC those people you hand the tip to are going to have to pool it anyway.

Only your own conscience can be your guide. In the end the only ones that will know whether you did or didn't was you and the crew on the ship you sail.

Yes, everyone has an opinion. Where the crew is concerned I guess I am passionate. I would hope you would be so thrilled with the service you would not alter the DSC.

I don't like to pay my property taxes every January, but I do. Geez, I would rather spend that money on a cruise!

Yes it can be adjusted at the front desk. It happens often especially with big families...

...and why should big families be exempt from paying the DSC like everyone else? If there is a problem get it resolved at the time it occurs and if it then cannot be resolved then adjust the DSC immediately.

...and why should big families be exempt from paying the DSC like everyone else? If there is a problem get it resolved at the time it occurs and if it then cannot be resolved then adjust the DSC immediately.

I have 5 children, who make a mess in the cabin, who get more items from the buffet than adults, who are more likely to have special requests than their parent at restaurants, and are more likely to spill their beverages... Why would I pay less for them? They are also less likely provide revenue to the ship paying for alcohol and gambling... Two cabins, only 2 adults - NCL is losing money with us!

some more points to consider...I am pro auto tip-dsc pretipping what ever the cruise line calls it. In many cases the cruise line runs specials and charges less for kids(sometimes its kids sail free) so in my view its just part of the fare to pay the staff that serves you.

Kids are as much work as adults...and sometimes more.

but finally when NCL increased the amount from $10 to $12 a couple of years ago for everyone a 20% increase, the child(3-12) amount went from 5 to 12 a 140% increase. I suggested at the time that at least some of that go to the kids crew...in an email to its President. He responded and said that it would be considered. As far as I know it was rejected so I do consider that redirecting some of it to the kids crew(self help) is not out of line.

But as others point out this is an individual choice.

BTW almost every line now has a version of the DSC-whether they call it a hotel charge auto-tipping etc. Some of the lines where it is a hotel charge it is not adjustable downward and on the more expensive lines where its included in the fare it is never adjustable...

What other people do with THEIR money is not my concern. The OP asked IF it could be adjusted and the answer is YES..

I always wait for one of the folks that say don't pay the DSC to tell me why. The only "real" reason has to be to save money, i.e. cheap. There is no reason to stiff the folks that work the hardest on your cruise. If the cost of those charges in addition to the cost of the cruise is to much, cruising is probably not for you and your family.

There have been a number of threads about this recently....

I'm curious how this has turned out for those that plan to remove the DSC or have it adjusted downward....

Have I missed the posts or replies of these folks upon returning from their trips and how that has worked out either way? :confused:

:D :D I agree Donna, gee if you find a way to do this please share ;)

I know a way to avoid paying property tax- don't own property;).

What other people do with THEIR money is not my concern. The OP asked IF it could be adjusted and the answer is YES..

The answer is YES for a service related issue. Having a family, large or otherwise, is not a service related issue.

Archived