DSC for Children 6 & 8 -

ctfamilyof5

Some folks are fond of saying, why not just include it in our fare. If it were included, it would then become taxable income to the cruise line, that would have to be passed on to the guest. The way it is now, it is not income to NCL, it is a fee that is passed directly to the employee's and is not reported as revenue. Saves us money and makes the book keeping easier for NCL. Best reason I can see.

Some folks are fond of saying, why not just include it in our fare. If it were included, it would then become taxable income to the cruise line, that would have to be passed on to the guest. The way it is now, it is not income to NCL, it is a fee that is passed directly to the employee's and is not reported as revenue. Saves us money and makes the book keeping easier for NCL. Best reason I can see.

That's the reason we need to leave things as they are.

Ahhhh - good point!

35% is an educated guess. When the company bills out a service, the owners/shareholders want to see a profit. TAs work on a percentage. Taxes and fees that are percentage based come into play.

35% might not be right but 0% is certainly not in play.

This doesn't make sense because the DSC isn't the crew's pay, it's for bonuses and incentives - which means it really doesn't matter WHAT the cost is if that's the case, right? The incentives would be based on whatever they happened to collect on that particular cruise, no?

If it were included, it would then become taxable income to the cruise line, that would have to be passed on to the guest. The way it is now, it is not income to NCL, it is a fee that is passed directly to the employee's and is not reported as revenue.

Now THIS makes sense. If this IS the way it's done, then it's completely understandable why it's not tacked on to the original cost.

[quote name='ctfamilyof5']This has nothing to do with whether or not I can afford it - it was a simple question as to whether or not you COULD or COULDN'T adjust the DSC. As well as understanding whether or not any of it went towards the kids club.

Thank you to all the people that actually answered the question~

For the others - well thanks for stopping by~ your comments were quite entertaining~[/QUOTE]

don't worry to much about these people , what you do on your cruise with your money is your choice . I started a similar thread a few ekes ago and was quite entertained by some very single minded self centred people . They were that bad at debating the issue with me that they had to pick on my spelling and grammar ( at which point I knew I had won the debate ) , if they love the DSC that much and feel sorry for the crew that much , maybe they could pay double :-)

I had lots of people msg me and say they had done it and tipped in their own way . It was there choice . Personally I just pa it but then pay nothing else over and above , but it's your choice !

P.s - don't get me started on the 15% added to your drink when you go to the bar yourself to get the drink ! I get around this by buying the soda package and sneeking all the booze on ! Happy cruising !

[quote name='lee101224']
P.s - don't get me started on the 15% added to your drink when you go to the bar yourself to get the drink ![/quote]

If a beer is $5, then 15% of that is only 75 cents. I usually tip $1 per drink whenever I go ANYwhere, so this is actually less than that. I would assume if you're not likely to tip that much it would be annoying, but I've never met anyone who DOESN'T tip that way. Again, they end up saving ME money. Don't you normally tip on drinks?

(Maybe it's a Boston/New England thing .. )

[quote name='mchelle77']If a beer is $5, then 15% of that is only 75 cents. I usually tip $1 per drink whenever I go ANYwhere, so this is actually less than that. I would assume if you're not likely to tip that much it would be annoying, but I've never met anyone who DOESN'T tip that way. Again, they end up saving ME money. Don't you normally tip on drinks?

(Maybe it's a Boston/New England thing .. )[/quote]

No, I think it's customary everywhere here in the US. Even if we attend an event where the drinks are free, we still tip a buck.

[quote name='lee101224']don't worry to much about these people , what you do on your cruise with your money is your choice . I started a similar thread a few ekes ago and was quite entertained by some very single minded self centred people . They were that bad at debating the issue with me that they had to pick on my spelling and grammar ( at which point I knew I had won the debate ) , if they love the DSC that much and feel sorry for the crew that much , maybe they could pay double :-)

I had lots of people msg me and say they had done it and tipped in their own way . It was there choice . Personally I just pa it but then pay nothing else over and above , but it's your choice !

P.s - don't get me started on the 15% added to your drink when you go to the bar yourself to get the drink ! I get around this by buying the soda package and sneeking all the booze on ! Happy cruising ![/QUOTE]

How did lots of people message you?

[quote name='mchelle77']This doesn't make sense because the DSC isn't the crew's pay, it's for bonuses and incentives - which means it really doesn't matter WHAT the cost is if that's the case, right? The incentives would be based on whatever they happened to collect on that particular cruise, no?

Now THIS makes sense. If this IS the way it's done, then it's completely understandable why it's not tacked on to the original cost.[/quote]

It IS how the crew gets paid.

[quote name='che5904']You aren't the only one confused, I'm confused by your post. They shouldn't be included in your reservation. There is an option in your edocs to pre-pay if you wish, otherwise they will be put on your on board account daily.[/QUOTE]

People on this board can be so kind and helpful.. :rolleyes:I thought they were included with the price since people are saying they are automatically on your bill. I have never sailed where I was forced to tip. I either filled out a card and added it to my shipboard account or paid cash. (Not forced as it seems here). I am not getting into a debate about tipping because I always tip. Just wondering why this board is supposed to be helpful and there are so many rude posters... Guess that is why I like to stick to Disney.

[quote name='kclcruise']People on this board can be so kind and helpful.. :rolleyes:I thought they were included with the price since people are saying they are automatically on your bill. I have never sailed where I was forced to tip. I either filled out a card and added it to my shipboard account or paid cash. (Not forced as it seems here). I am not getting into a debate about tipping because I always tip. Just wondering why this board is supposed to be helpful and there are so many rude posters... Guess that is why I like to stick to Disney.[/quote]

Maybe I can help. You are being charged a Daily Service Charge, the DSC , at the rate of 12 pp/pd. Tipping on NCl is totally optional...If you wish to tip your room steward or anyone else extra that's ok but your option...

Unlike Disney you do not have the same wait staff every night so some of the DSC covers this senario..You will not have to get envelopes at end of your cruise to take care of the tips..

If you are in a suite, the butler and the concierge are not covered by the DSC. Passengers will tip them based on their use.

While the DSC it not really tipping it has replaced the need tip unless you feel someone has earned it.

Sorry for the rude comments but some posters like to tell others how they should spend their money..

Hope this helps.

[quote name='RichNY']Maybe I can help. You are being charged a Daily Service Charge, the DSC , at the rate of 12 pp/pd. Tipping on NCl is totally optional...If you wish to tip your room steward or anyone else extra that's ok but your option...

Unlike Disney you do not have the same wait staff every night so some of the DSC covers this senario..You will not have to get envelopes at end of your cruise to take care of the tips..

If you are in a suite, the butler and the concierge are not covered by the DSC. Passengers will tip them based on their use.

While the DSC it not really tipping it has replaced the need tip unless you feel someone has earned it.

Sorry for the rude comments but some posters like to tell others how they should spend their money..

Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! That was kind. This is my first time or NCL in many years. I last sailed when mom still paid my bill . :D I appreciate your help.

[quote name='RichNY']
Sorry for the rude comments but some posters like to tell others how they should spend their money..[/quote]

OK the poster he quoted as rude, was me. My post stated "They shouldn't be included in your reservation. There is an option in your edocs to pre-pay if you wish, otherwise they will be put on your on board account daily."

As you will note I said "if [B]you wish[/B] to prepay". No where in that post did I "tell others how they should spend their money", nor do I ever.

Sorry giving facts as I have, I do not see that as rude in any way shape or form.

[quote name='coffeebean']What does the "D" stand for in DSC that everyone refers to on Cruise Critic? I looked on NCL's website and the website mentions "service charge" but there is no reference to a "D" when speaking about the service charge. I'm stumped.[/quote]

the D that everyone refers to is Daily Service Charge. But it has since been renamed by NCL to Onboard Service Charge.

[quote name='KarmaElectra']I've never commented on one of these DSC threads before...and I am not aiming this at anyone in particular. [COLOR=Red][B] But if you can't afford to pay the DSC for children...then leave them at home. If you have a "large family" and can't afford to pay the DSC for all of your family members...then perhaps you can't afford to cruise.
[/B] [/COLOR]
I'm certainly not rich, and I usually don't tip extra on my cruises, except maybe a few dollars extra to an awesome steward. But to even think of removing the DSC...that's just downright [B]cheap[/B]. And if it truly is due to financial hardship, maybe you should take a different type of vacation.

[/ending rant]

;)[/quote]
Agree completely.

Going on step further...barring staying at home for vacation, generally there is not other vacation as cost effective for a couple or for a family, than cruising on any of the mass market cruise lines. You can not beat the cost of cruising, including paying the DSC for everyone in your party.

Most of what I want to say has been said so I will try not to be repetitive. And OP's question has been answered so please don't mind that I am not answering the question.

I sympathize with families and the high cost and work of traveling with a large family. But for those who think they should tip less for children, did you object when the cruise fare for the 3rd and 4th passenger was less? No, because your child will probably eat less than an adult. Did that not factor into the budgeting? I would hope so. But, and sorry here is the repetitive part, the kids will not need less service, and probably more. I have yet to hear a single logical explanation for children paying a lower service charge.

I will share my little hypothesis: Many hotels and some restaurants offer "kids stay free" or " kids eat free" deals, tied to purchase of products by parents. I assume they are building their volume and loyalty. In the case of hotels, it may be a way to give leisure travelers an appealing price without cutting the price for business travelers. If living in land environments where such deals are plentiful, parents may be startled when they shop cruises...The kid's fares are usually the same as the adult fares (3rd passenger fare is often the same whether that passenger is 4 or 40). The kid's DSC is the same as the adult's DSC. When parents find this difference, some may realize they have gotten great deals from hotels. Others may simply expect (or even feel entitled) to similarly great deals at sea. For some, it is not intellectually convenient to consider that the average kid might consume as much or more service as the average adult.

[quote name='ctfamilyof5']This has nothing to do with whether or not I can afford it - it was a simple question as to whether or not you COULD or COULDN'T adjust the DSC. As well as understanding whether or not any of it went towards the kids club.

Thank you to all the people that actually answered the question~

[COLOR=Red][B]For the others - well thanks for stopping by~ your comments were quite entertaining~[/B][/COLOR][/quote]
I truly don't think the comments were meant to be "entertaining". I would imagine those folks who commented about the thought of anyone wanting to adjust the DSC are quite passionate about compensating the crew for their hard work.

[quote name='mchelle77'][COLOR=Red][B]Norwegian could avoid a lot of debate and drama if they just added that $84 to each 7 night cruise per person. [/B][/COLOR]

Think about it - if you're booking a 7 night cruise for two, is a price difference of $84 per person THAT big of a deal that you wouldn't book? NO. When added to the original booking cost, it seems like NOTHING. But when it's thrown out that this is a "DSC", people get all bent. They should just tack it on and then if someone has a service issue there isn't an option to remove it - they'd have no choice but to deal with it by discussing it with the cruise staff. If it's a major problem, then NCL could offer a credit or something.

Just seems like unnecessary drama, you know?[/quote]
Why should NCL quote a price for a specific itinerary, date and cabin type that is reflected higher than any of the other mass market cruise lines? None of the other cruise lines include tipping or service charges in their base fares. Many folks price shop and that would put NCL at a disadvantage when every dollar seems to influence many of the cruising public

As it is now, NCL's base fare for many of their cruises are lower than other mass market cruise lines offering same cabin types, dates and itinerary. NCL would lose that advantage.

[quote name='sdmike']Everybody would have to do it. Let's say Carnival has an itinerary where the 3rd and 4th person cost is listed as $399, and NCL builds in the $84 and lists the price as $483. It's a competitive disadvantage even though the final cost on both is the same.[/quote]
Mike...
I just said the same thing, although in a different way, before I read your post. You did say it better. Thanks.

[quote name='rvsullivan']Some folks are fond of saying, why not just include it in our fare. If it were included, it would then become taxable income to the cruise line, that would have to be passed on to the guest. The way it is now, it is not income to NCL, it is a fee that is passed directly to the employee's and is not reported as revenue. Saves us money and makes the book keeping easier for NCL. Best reason I can see.[/quote]
I didn't realize that. Very good point. Thanks for stating.

Archived