Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Direct link to the large version of the fleet photo here https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bs_vjpBIQAAU78e.jpg:large

I wonder what the role of the sailing yacht KIDAN is in this convoy. Does anybody know? How practical is a sailing vessel in such a convoy?

As for the mystery about 30 million tons: Somebody probably read an original Italian press release where it said mille which is Italian for thousand. Anybody with even just residual knowledge of Latin from school would recognise this, but maybe jourrnalists aren't anymore what they used to be. I bet we're talking about 3,000 tons, because even 30,000 tons doesn't sound plausible, doesn't it? Divide by 400 kg per meter of chain, 3,000 tons give us 7,500 mtrs of chains. (For those who still use imperial units :D: 24,000 feet)

On another note, I find it quite funny that the team on the YouReporter video Live feed http://www.youreporter.it/live/Rigalleggiamento_Concordia_diretta_live_streaming are blissfully unaware about the live audio transmission: voices, washing up of plates etc etc are all audible. :D

If anyone is interested here is a chart giving the weight of all the common anchor chain sizes.

http://www.watermansupply.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=21&Itemid=36

400kg/m would be the 139mm size.

The 70mm size that will be used to tow the ship weighs 106kg/m so an 800 meter length will weigh 84 tonnes

Here is a picture in her former glory in a similar perspective for reference. For those not familiar with this ship layout, the bridge is on deck 8, the bow area is deck 4 (a crew only area) and the open deck just below the lifeboats is deck 3 (main lobby deck). Below that are decks 2 and 1 (the lowest guest decks), deck 0 (boarding deck) and right at the water line is deck A. There are at least three more decks below deck A.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b7/Costa_Concordia_in_Palma,_Majorca,_Spain.JPG

Direct link to the large version of the fleet photo here https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bs_vjpBIQAAU78e.jpg:large

I wonder what the role of the sailing yacht KIDAN is in this convoy. Does anybody know? How practical is a sailing vessel in such a convoy?

I was wondering about KIDAN aswell. Maybe she belongs to Nick Sloane or Captain Hans Bosch, who wants his own sleeping accomodation nearby during the 5 day trip to Genoa? She's moored up in Giglio harbour at the moment.

Edit: She was in the harbour as of yesterday afternoon according to Vesselfinder.com

Edited by CTH

Really? So you missed my other post where I did provide the direct link. ;)

Morgan Mars provided an answer about the sailboat.

From TPP this morning:

Technicians are at work to complete refloating. During the night, despite the strong winds, the wreck has emerged of about 11 meters; there are therefore 3 more meters to reach the required draft. Starboard sponson S4 is almost in position. Work is in progress to lower sponsons S5 and S14.

I was wondering about KIDAN aswell. Maybe she belongs to Nick Sloane or Captain Hans Bosch, who wants his own sleeping accomodation nearby during the 5 day trip to Genoa? She's moored up in Giglio harbour at the moment.

Edit: She was in the harbour as of yesterday afternoon according to Vesselfinder.com

She is being used for marine life spotters...... I guess everything will cme to a stop if the spotters see dolphins swimming at the bow of cc while she is in transit to Genoa.

Thanks to those who posted about the kids ... :)

From the head on view of the parbuckling webcam it appears that CC is leaning to Port once again although not to sure if this is due to pressure on the cables from the tugboats.

Would not normally be up at this time but due to one of the Grand kids being ill and having to wash bedding at this unearthly hour i thought i would look in on the live Giglio cam, it looks in the darkness as though the bow is around 2 to 3 feet above the sea now. Looking at the cam it appears that a bit of a swell is building up unless it is water being pumped out from the Front area of the ship, it will be interesting in a few hours when daybreak comes to see how much higher the ship will be out of the water.

Sid,

Yikes, Grand Parents are suppose to just do the "fun" stuff. :eek:

I hope your grand child get well quickly.

Then, you can return to your ususal duties of having a fun time while spoiling the child. :D

John

Edited by Uniall

John ... Their mother had some sort of vomiting bug that is why we had them both yesterday during the day, when we took them home yesterday evening their father had it as well so we decided to take them back with us in the hope that neither child would be affected.

Matters made worse because my other half is up at 6-15 am for work and had to take them home before heading to work.

It is a good job you can hand them back especially with only a few hours sleep .... :eek:

Some really good pix in this link.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2699943/Costa-Concordia-finally-set-removed-locals-disappointed-thousands-foreign-workers-BOOSTED-Giglios-economy-introduced-new-foods.html

And if you read the article, ignore the conversion of euro to dollar. :D

I expect there will be a correction to that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

John, parents spoil children. Grandparents indulge. :D

Respectfully snipped . . . .

Video of the Kidan in operation:

http://www.theparbucklingproject.com/multimedia_detail.php?eid=UEQCEwdeA2sEPQA0&cat=ambiente&type=video

Additional information on the marine mammal monitoring being performed onboard Kidan.

http://www.repcet.com/

The REPCET tool is a software system dedicated to navigation. Its aim, first and foremost, is to limit the risks of collision between large cetaceans and large vessels.

The concept is simple and is based on the following: every sighting of large cetaceans by watchkeeping personnel on board a vessel equipped with REPCET is transmitted by satellite in semi-real-time to a server located on land. The server then centralises the data and sends out an alert to equipped vessels that are likely to be affected. The alerts are displayed cartographically on a dedicated screen on board.

http://www.oceanomaredelphis.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50&Itemid=404

Our daily noise measurements are used to define an Exclusion Zone (EZ), if animals are sighted into the EZ the yard is immediately alerted and activities are interrupted. Following the international protocols, if no animal is sighted in 30 minutes, a "soft start" (gradual build up of works from a basal level ascending over a period of 20-45 minutes) allows animals to move away.

Some really good pix in this link.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2699943/Costa-Concordia-finally-set-removed-locals-disappointed-thousands-foreign-workers-BOOSTED-Giglios-economy-introduced-new-foods.html

And if you read the article, ignore the conversion of euro to dollar. :D

I expect there will be a correction to that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

John, parents spoil children. Grandparents indulge. :D

Nice photos SomeBeach thanks for the link.

She is being used for marine life spotters...... I guess everything will cme to a stop if the spotters see dolphins swimming at the bow of cc while she is in transit to Genoa.

Am I the only one who thinks this is the dumbest thing ever? With the thousands of ships cruising the Mediterranean every day at 10 to 20 knots or better I'm sure the dolphins can get out of the way of a flotilla moving at 2 1/2 knots.

The Parbuckling Project/Titan Micoperi tweeting :

"close to refloating completion" and also

"departure of the wreck planned for Wednesday 23rd July".

So looks like another day's delay....

Thanks MorganMars for all the info on Kidan, I got that one very wrong!! (Sorry I missed your earlier post.)

Am I the only one who thinks this is the dumbest thing ever? With the thousands of ships cruising the Mediterranean every day at 10 to 20 knots or better I'm sure the dolphins can get out of the way of a flotilla moving at 2 1/2 knots.

Crack me up! I was thinking the exact same thing..

Personally, I think it's a great idea.

It provides an excellent opportunity for those aboard the sailing yacht to net some tuna free dolphin for the barby. :eek::D

Edited by Uniall

I believe Costa and the people involved in the project are just covering their backsides. They've already had Greenpeace in there. I'm pretty sure should one whale, dolphin, or itty bitty fishy be harmed Greenpeace or PETA or some other such organization would be next up with a lawsuit. At least having Kidan in the mix they can say all reasonable efforts were made to protect sea life.

CTH, thanks for the update re: delay.

Follow up to CTH's report, this from Giglio News:

Was made official by Costa Crociere Spa to Wednesday 23 July departure of coating M/N Costa Concordia from the shores of Isola del Giglio. For this reason, the following measures are necessary as well as already anticipated in previous communications.

sergio ortelli sindaco del comune di isola del giglio Maritime Transport -operating activities of the wreck will take place starting at 08.30 am, after the arrival of the first ferry to Porto Santo Stefano. After it will be necessary to stop the ferry traffic for a period of approximately 4-6 hours. The program may be subject to possible variations in relation to operational needs and weather and sea conditions. As soon as he steps in front of the coast will be reactivated the races according to the normal seasonal hours.

Bathing- It is confirmed, as a precaution and precaution, on the advice of Arpat, the bathing ban for the duration of the operations on the beach near the Hotel Demo '.

Leisure Activities- Is expected, like last July 14, an interruption of port activities and sports starting at 8.30. Once completed, operations will be reactivated any activity.

Ortelli: "Irritation but I note"- "The Concordia makes us suffer until the last moment, do not hide a certain irritation for slippage and referral. But we note and I do a reason ". He said the Mayor of Isola del Giglio, Sergio Ortelli, concerning the postponement of the departure of Concord for Genoa. "I understand the technical difficulties – he explained – but my apprehension and citizens is high. The species travel planning for uncertainty that, unfortunately, we are forced to give these days. " "I am confident that we can conclude in the shortest possible time – ha aggiunto – hoping not to have to move again the bar of our patience, patience in charge"

http://www.giglionews.it/2014/07/21/ortelli-non-nascondo-lirritazione-ma-ne-prendo-atto/

How long do you think it will be before some one in Giglio comes up with the idea to build a full scale replica of the Concordia on the rock ledge as a tourist attraction, er uh, I mean a memorial ?

allegati_piattaforma_2_020613_3-300x199.jpg

Not sure about the replica, but they are considering leaving the underwater platforms in place for a fish haven and underwater dive attraction. :D

The Group Minority Council Chamber Project Lily announces that it has submitted a request to the Mayor of the City Council with the agenda of two decisions, to be voted in respect of:

1. Preservation Shipyard Concordia underwater platforms with consequent involvement of the various Authorities;

2. Publication Income and Balance Sheet, online, of Councillors and Councillors

We are certain the timely acceptance of our application in consideration of the very small time left to act before the contracting of works for the reclamation of the site Shipyard Concordia.