Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Whatever happened to people's belongings that were in their safe? At this point....when the ship gets to the shipyard to be dismantled, will they now go through the safes in the staterooms and return belongings to people? I know that most items are forever ruined and aren't wanted but what about jewlery and such. Some of those items I'm sure are irreplaceable.

I haven't kept up with this thread so I'm sorry if this has already been discussed.

How long do you think it will be before some one in Giglio comes up with the idea to build a full scale replica of the Concordia on the rock ledge as a tourist attraction, er uh, I mean a memorial ?

I'd rule out full size replica.

From my link in post 2955:

Italian marine salvage company Neri - which helped remove fuel from the ship's engines - has commissioned a statue for the island of a man looking out to sea holding a boat in memory of the victims.

Along with some great pictures that link also contained some interesting tidbits about the people of Giglio and the international crews that worked on the project.

Ken, you have to wonder how long they will take on that decision. ;)

Last I heard was more people are opposed to that idea.

Edited by SomeBeach

They're back and they brought friends.

Legambiente and Greenpeace will follow the Concordia in his last voyage

Dear: "Reclaim the area right here from the ship, eliminating platforms, after transporting the ship"

When the Concordia will start from Lily to come to Genoa, followed by a task-force to control and monitor there are no spills and threats to the cetacean sanctuary, Legambiente and Greenpeace will follow this last trip, "as well as done to date with the whole situation linked to the ship – say the two environmental groups – with all the environmental hazards involvingto supervise and control the conduct of operations by the competent institutions is carried out in the best possible way, accompanying the wreckage until Genoa».

Angelo Gentili, of the National Secretariat of Legambiente, stresses: "we believe that the effort that is being done to restore dignity, decoration, safety, and environmental protection to Lily is very significant. We hope above all that there are no threats to the marine ecosystem, whereas inside the ship still retains chemical and organic substances, as well as oils and hydrocarbons in large amounts. We need once the latter Transport Act, and the subsequent disposal, think with the same attention, using experts and appropriate programming, the reclamation of the area occupied since here from Concordia, the Elimination of the platforms and infrastructure use and restore the seabed all this considering carefully and scrupulously the environmental damage created».

For Legambiente "all this is absolutely necessary for the sea of Lily and gigliesi, for the indelible memory of this disaster has less possible repercussions on the future of the island."

http://www.giglionews.it/2014/07/22/legambiente-e-greenpeace-per-la-bonifica-dei-fondali/

This cracks me up. They are going to "supervise and control the conduct of operations by competent institutions." I wonder what their qualifications are to know what is the best possible way to do so.

Today's update from The Parbuckling Project:

http://www.theparbucklingproject.com/article/100/Concordia_refloating_-_news_from_july_22th

Also noticed on vesselfinder.com that CC now has what I assume is a live transponder, she's showing on the map as an actual ship again, in position & ready to depart tomorrow for Genoa. (For the last couple of years she has shown up as only a white outline in the same way as the coast line/land).

Maybe it's time to have French Naval Ships join the flotilla. :D;)

Another image of the towing fleet

CostaConcordiaConvoy220714.png

Also more pictures from inside the ship here:

http://www.businessinsider.com/photos-of-the-inside-of-the-sunken-costa-concordia-2014-7

I'd rule out full size replica.

From my link in post 2955:

Italian marine salvage company Neri - which helped remove fuel from the ship's engines - has commissioned a statue for the island of a man looking out to sea holding a boat in memory of the victims.

Along with some great pictures that link also contained some interesting tidbits about the people of Giglio and the international crews that worked on the project.

Ken, you have to wonder how long they will take on that decision. ;)

Last I heard was more people are opposed to that idea.

Edited by Uniall

I see from the pics that the ship still has a list to port, wonder if they will make it level before the tow tomorrow ? weather permitting that is.

All the Starboard sponsons seem to finally be lined up now. In one of the TPP updates it mentioned that we would see them tilt the ship back and forth from port to starboard and fore and aft to allow any trapped water to drain from the recently flooded decks.

Good, so we can track the fleet now as they head across to Genoa. I assume there'll be no or little video footage of her once she leaves Giglio.

Don't forget this camera in Piombino. It should give a good view of the Flotilla going through the straights. It appears to be raining there at the moment. I hope someone cleans the lens.

http://www.comune.piombino.li.it/index.php?id_sezione=979

Not that I expect anything like this to happen to the Concordia, here is an exerpt from an article on the USS Oklahoma that describes her sinking while being towed from Hawaii to San Francisco for scrap in 1947. She almost took the 2 tugs with her.

From: http://newsok.com/uss-oklahoma-escapes-indignity-of-scrap-heap/article/2377399

"

The identical tugs Hercules and Monarch, each with a crew of 14, left Seattle on May 2, 1947, and arrived a few days later at Pearl Harbor.

The Hercules, commanded by Capt. Kelly Sprague, and the Monarch of Capt. George O. Anderson, hooked up to the Oklahoma with 1,000-foot wire pendants, two inches thick. Navy tugs helped move the battleship out of the harbor.

As the tugs got under way, the crews reported, the Oklahoma was towing well, surprising to them, considering the ship's size, weight and damage.

In the interview with the Seattle newspaper, Anderson recalled that there was no reason to suspect trouble, because the ship had been inspected and approved for the trip.

"For the first 24 hours, everything seemed to be going well, and we were beginning to relax when it was noticed that the Oklahoma was developing a list to port (left). During the next four days, the list steadily increased, and when it reached about 30 degrees, we radioed the Coast Guard at Hawaii for instructions. We were told to return. " Anderson said it was during the end of his 6 p.m. to midnight watch on May 16 that he saw the Oklahoma - for some unknown reason - straighten up.

"Then suddenly, I was aware we were going astern and gaining speed," he said. "Behind us, the lights of the Oklahoma disappeared. " The crew had considered that the ship might begin to sink and had disconnected the electric brake on the towing winch of the Monarch, simplifying the release of the brake.

Anderson said he quickly ran to the stern to release the brake and saw the end of the towing cable disappear into the Pacific amid a shower of sparks. The weight of the ship had unreeled the wire, and none too soon. The Monarch's stern already was going underwater.

Meanwhile, the Hercules crew was involved in a battle for survival. The stern, normally four feet above water, was covered as the Oklahoma dragged the tug backward rapidly. That made it impossible for crewmen to reach the towing winch.

Just as it appeared the tug would follow the Oklahoma to the bottom, the winch exploded, showering the crew with metal, but freeing the craft.

The Oklahoma's plunge below the surface was recorded at 1:40 a.m, May 17, 1947.

The Coast Guard ordered the tugs to remain in the area until daybreak to see if any wreckage would hinder shipping. There was none.

An official inquiry found no absolute cause for the sinking. No one was aboard the ship to witness its final hours.

Most theories are that the patchwork on the torpedo holes from nearly six years earlier gave way.

Another, held by many of the men who served on the Oklahoma during its naval career, was that the ship simply preferred to die at sea. "

Bearded Engineer

This is a GREAT Story. Thanks for posting it.

John

Not that I expect anything like this to happen to the Concordia, here is an exerpt from an article on the USS Oklahoma that describes her sinking while being towed from Hawaii to San Francisco for scrap in 1947. She almost took the 2 tugs with her.

From: http://newsok.com/uss-oklahoma-escapes-indignity-of-scrap-heap/article/2377399

"

The identical tugs Hercules and Monarch, each with a crew of 14, left Seattle on May 2, 1947, and arrived a few days later at Pearl Harbor.

The Hercules, commanded by Capt. Kelly Sprague, and the Monarch of Capt. George O. Anderson, hooked up to the Oklahoma with 1,000-foot wire pendants, two inches thick. Navy tugs helped move the battleship out of the harbor.

As the tugs got under way, the crews reported, the Oklahoma was towing well, surprising to them, considering the ship's size, weight and damage.

In the interview with the Seattle newspaper, Anderson recalled that there was no reason to suspect trouble, because the ship had been inspected and approved for the trip.

"For the first 24 hours, everything seemed to be going well, and we were beginning to relax when it was noticed that the Oklahoma was developing a list to port (left). During the next four days, the list steadily increased, and when it reached about 30 degrees, we radioed the Coast Guard at Hawaii for instructions. We were told to return. " Anderson said it was during the end of his 6 p.m. to midnight watch on May 16 that he saw the Oklahoma - for some unknown reason - straighten up.

"Then suddenly, I was aware we were going astern and gaining speed," he said. "Behind us, the lights of the Oklahoma disappeared. " The crew had considered that the ship might begin to sink and had disconnected the electric brake on the towing winch of the Monarch, simplifying the release of the brake.

Anderson said he quickly ran to the stern to release the brake and saw the end of the towing cable disappear into the Pacific amid a shower of sparks. The weight of the ship had unreeled the wire, and none too soon. The Monarch's stern already was going underwater.

Meanwhile, the Hercules crew was involved in a battle for survival. The stern, normally four feet above water, was covered as the Oklahoma dragged the tug backward rapidly. That made it impossible for crewmen to reach the towing winch.

Just as it appeared the tug would follow the Oklahoma to the bottom, the winch exploded, showering the crew with metal, but freeing the craft.

The Oklahoma's plunge below the surface was recorded at 1:40 a.m, May 17, 1947.

The Coast Guard ordered the tugs to remain in the area until daybreak to see if any wreckage would hinder shipping. There was none.

An official inquiry found no absolute cause for the sinking. No one was aboard the ship to witness its final hours.

Most theories are that the patchwork on the torpedo holes from nearly six years earlier gave way.

Another, held by many of the men who served on the Oklahoma during its naval career, was that the ship simply preferred to die at sea. "