Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

qt, thanks for dropping in. I know from your posts that this has been a long and difficult time for you and the many others that suffered through this. I'm glad that in some small way you have found a bit of help here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On the page with the live feed I saw a picture of the upper bow ledge being washed. My first thought was they want to make her a little pretty as she heads off on her final voyage. Quite honestly I was hoping they'd clean the entire bow. After all, she didn't do this to herself. She deserves a bit of pride as she's tugged away.

Since this operation is almost over, I would like to jump in here and tell all that contributed to this thread, thanks!!! I have quietly followed this thread on an almost daily basis. My four year old grandson calls the CC the "Sad Ship".

We have watched the righting of the ship and now the refloating with great interest and with respect for those who lost their lives. May God rest their souls!!

Again, thank you all for your wonderful links, photos and on going updates. It has been a fascinating process and your input has greatly enhanced this. What a feat of engineering this has been!!

I agree 100%!!!!!! Thanks to the regulars on this thread for all the info!!!

They may move it while it is dark tonight. Who knows??? However, I really want to see it move out.

The Press Release says they are planning to start manuevers after the ferry arrives at 8:30 AM. Don't have the link now, but I read that they will be pulling away at 10:00 AM and on the horizon by noon. That is Italian time, six hours ahead of Eastern time in the US. One hour ahead of the UK.

A link to a pretty amazing photo gallery. . . .

http://www.serenagalvani.com/galleria/items/reportage.html

The pictures are amazing. Picture 46 creeps me out a bit though, in the forward most window near the water line it almost looks like a person is looking out.

I wonder what it would have cost to make the CC seaworthy again or if the hull or the starboard side of the ship was damaged too much. It is a shame the CC can't go out on her on terms.

What would have been a nice touch (probably expensive) would had they been able to rig some propulsion systems of some kind so the ship could push itself into the scrapyard vs being pulled. The ship and lost souls on board didn't deserve what happened:(.

I will be up at 3 am central time to get ready for an apt so I may see her leaving the island behind:)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am filled with a sadness tonight watching the night time live feed and remembering that first night when I started following this dreadful event. I was online the night it happened and began watching the AIS data and have not been able to tear myself away since then.

The conversations here at CC with some of the passengers has been an amazing experience. The experienced mariners who have contributed so much to the discussion will forever have my admiration and, to the Italian who did so many translations for us early on, "Thank you, where ever you are!"

My best wishes to one and all. Anytime someone complains to me about the terrible impact of social media on our lives, I will counter with how good it has been to participate with this group on Cruise Critic.

May tomorrow and the following days go well for all.

Best regards,

MorganMars

Date:
July 22, 2014 at 6:55:04 PM GMT-4

Everything is now ready for removal of the Costa Concordia by the waters of Isola del Giglio.

Are officially terminated rigalleggiamento operations and the ship touched the 17.50 m share draft

provided by the contract

and this evening will be trimmed by Nick Sloane and his team to draught designed for navigation.

Flown the blue flag The Blue Peter..

the flag that in maritime jargon means 'ready to go' ship was hoisted on the highest part of Concord.

The flag appeared a few hours ago and represents an ancient tradition to signal

that they are now a few hours for a long awaited moment.

To begin operations at 8:30
and by around 12 noon should be definite expulsion
(Italy-time, of course)

Tribute to the victims and the gigliesi "this repair ever to the loss of human lives."

He said the environment Minister, Gian Luca Galletti, descending from the coast guard patrol boat that led him,

along with the prefect Gabrielli and a group of victims families of Concord,

to lay a bouquet of flowers in front of the wreckage.

The Minister stressed that the victims families wanted to remind humanity of the gigliesi,

"which measure the human dignity of a country and in this case-concluded the Minister - of Italy"

Edited by Aplmac

Since this operation is almost over, I would like to jump in here and tell all that contributed to this thread, thanks!!! I have quietly followed this thread on an almost daily basis. My four year old grandson calls the CC the "Sad Ship".

We have watched the righting of the ship and now the refloating with great interest and with respect for those who lost their lives. May God rest their souls!!

Again, thank you all for your wonderful links, photos and on going updates. It has been a fascinating process and your input has greatly enhanced this. What a feat of engineering this has been!!

Well said and I too agree 100%. Have followed the story from the beginning and the thread kept me up to date when the news agencies moved on to other stories. Thank you all for keeping this thread going.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

John, I'll just hope the Italian courts get it right with the trial. Didn't like it when he boarded a short time ago and even for the punishment you show I wouldn't want him back on board again.

MM, lots of great pix in your link.

My biggest hope for Concordia is that she leaves with some dignity. I also hope that she or the sea returns Russel to his family.

As for everyone here, I'm not quite ready to bid farewell. Hopefully we will be able to track her crossing. After all, we've come this far, we need to see it through to the end.

Has anyone checked out the panorama view. What a sight. The star of this show shines brightly with the supporting cast set back a bit.

Edited by SomeBeach

John, I'll just hope the Italian courts get it right with the trial. Didn't like it when he boarded a short time ago and even for the punishment you show I wouldn't want him back on board again.

MM, lots of great pix in your link.

My biggest hope for Concordia is that she leaves with some dignity. I also hope that she or the sea returns Russel to his family.

As for everyone here, I'm not quite ready to bid farewell. Hopefully we will be able to track her crossing. After all, we've come this far, we need to see it through to the end.

Not to worry, SB, I am not saying farewell, just feeling a bit sentimental. Besides we have to still be here when Clive gets back. ;)

With that long awaited moment just a few hours away, I guess that the people from Giglio look at this with mixed feelings. On one hand they must be ready to let go of this terrible tragedy and get back their pretty island to the way things were before the tragedy. On the other hand, this tragedy brought with it some economic activity from tourism and from the people working in this project and this is all about to end soon.

I have been following this since that fateful night for a number of reasons, one of them being the engineering part of all that was needed to refloat and then take away this huge ship in one piece. An unprecedented feat of engineering that for better or for worse will be just an ephemeral thing given that the ship will be broken up soon. And with it everything that was built to support all this. One of the biggest engineering projects ever for just the moment that is taking place now.

Of course, never forgetting about the victims and their families and also about the survivors which I hope will find some closure to this event the moment the Costa Concordia leaves Giglio and continues on its voyage to Genoa even if this time is only the final voyage.

Not to worry, SB, I am not saying farewell, just feeling a bit sentimental. Besides we have to still be here when Clive gets back. ;)

I'm a bit sentimental about all this too.

It has been so nice chatting with the folks here. I know I've gained a lot of knowledge these last several months and the credit goes to so many here.

Oh yes. I told Clive we would still be here and that's a promise I think many others will help me keep. :D

They will likely have men onboard during the tow and they will be working/watching around the forward decks' date=' bow and the tow wires.

AKK[/quote']

Maybe Schettino can get this job since his trial is obviously on a long sabatical.

Thanks to all who have kept me informed on what has been going on with the Concordia for so long.

If the salvage teams took as many breaks as the Italian courts, we could be talking about this for 10 years or more. It would be pretty boring though since the Concordia would still be laying on it's side, just like Schettino left it

A quick glance at the live stream shows that deck 2 is above water too. They were telling that the refloat would be to deck 3, however a deck 2 cabin window can be seen at the moment I type this through the gap between sponsons S2 and S3. Also, the mooring line holes in deck 3 are well above the water now. I don't know if this is a result of listing to port and if it will go under again when the ship levels again. Would post a screen capture but I am at work now and can't access the photo sharing sites.

This is a capture from the moment I posted this. Late afternoon is the best time to look for details in the live stream like in this image. The camera was zoomed in and there was bright sunlight on the starboard side.

99293n.png