Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

I've been following this thread for a very long time. Some great links posted and an amazing amount of in-depth information about this enormous undertaking. Thank you each for your insightful contributions.

After the adrenalin rush of the success of such a huge project, I have to wonder what it's going to be like for the salvage experts to go back to a life of more mundane jobs. I suspect they will forever define their lives as being part of the great Concordia salvage effort.

It was bitter sweet to see the ship re-floated to be removed. The loss of life of those who were getting ready to begin their vacation still hit me in January when I stepped on the Freedom. It also makes you remember that humans are not infallible, and the slightest mistake can spell impending doom.

The amazing engineering that it took to perform this feat is impressive, especially with a ship of that size. I'm glad that the residents of Giglio get to have their pristine coast almost back to normal, however it was such a waste of a beautiful ship due to the lackluster behavior of a person who should have been more responsible with the lives of those entrusted to him instead of showboating to others.

Wow, this feels so sad to see the ship being towed. And I'm not even sure why. Certainly because of the lives lost, but it just feels awful to see such a beautiful ship in this condition. This thread has been very informative over the years, even though I have not had much to contribute.

Are there any people on board the Concordia at this point, or is it just being towed with no one aboard? Either way seems kind of creepy

Thank you to all that have kept up with this tragedy from that first fateful night. I pray that the remaining missing man will be located and he can be returned to his loved ones. It will be interesting to see the scrapping of this ship. I hope that whoever makes a documentary of this will be as diligent as much of this thread has been. Thanks again to all. I will continue to watch this story to see how it all ends.

Just looked at my marine traffic site and noticed at least 3 cruise ships in the area of Concordia; Liberty of the Seas, Norwegian Epic, and AIDA Blu. Blu looks to be the closest and may see the lights of the convoy in the distance.

Could you please provide a link to the site you are viewing?

Could you please provide a link to the site you are viewing?

I'm using Marine Traffic:

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:10.67274/centery:42.4896/zoom:8/mmsi:244495000

When you go on you can close out the box that shows Blizzard.

Then I suggest you zoom in some. You'll see some little triangles leading from Giglio to Concordia.

Greets everyone,

As others have done, I wish to thank everyone here for their diligent work in keeping us lurkers informed. The coverage here has been exemplary and is a credit to you all.

Edited by LabratSR

I'm using Marine Traffic:

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:10.67274/centery:42.4896/zoom:8/mmsi:244495000

When you go on you can close out the box that shows Blizzard.

Then I suggest you zoom in some. You'll see some little triangles leading from Giglio to Concordia.

Interesting when you click on the Costa Concordia details it shows the Draught as 18m.

Found this map on another website, not sure how accurate it is regarding where Costa Concordia will be moored.

14728346724_34ae076db4_o.jpg

(Credit Nedo B. Gonzales, Navi e Armatori)

And showing it in relation to the main port of Genoa...

Voltri on the far left, Genoa main port on the right

14730486802_03dc0c381e_c.jpg

Edited by dmwnc1959

According to this video http://www.youreporter.it/video_Concordia_barca_vicino_al_convoglio_fermata_da_polizia a boat was stopped by police because they breached the 3 nm exclusion zone around CC.

Sure, they need to do that on grounds of safety, but this raises to the non-mariner in me the question: Which police and on ground of which country's legislation?

How is such exclusion zone communicated to boats which happen to be nearby? How could they have known?

Layman's questions, I know.

Updates from TBB

Update at 8.00 am

47.7 miles done. Actual speed 1.9 knots; very good weather conditions, light wind.

wreck.

Update 8.30 am

48.5 miles done. Actual speed 2 knots. Very good weather conditions, light wind north-west.

Update 10.30 am

After 22 hours of navigation, the convoy is now at over 50 miles off Giglio Island with about 140 miles from Genoa Prà-Voltri. At present, navigation speed is 2.0 knots .

Weather and sea conditions are good, with calm sea and 6-7 knots of wind from North/North East. The first environmental sampling activity has been performed yesterday evening , in the stern and bow area, as per predefined plan. This morning technicians have done an inspection around the ship: no anomalies have been detected in sponsons and in their connections to the weck.

703047rr.jpg

78foto%20E%20Zanini%20IMG_6725.JPG

67Foto%20E%20Zanini%20IMG_6863.JPG

20Foto%20E%20Zanini%20IMG_6681.JPG

According to this video http://www.youreporter.it/video_Concordia_barca_vicino_al_convoglio_fermata_da_polizia a boat was stopped by police because they breached the 3 nm exclusion zone around CC.

Sure, they need to do that on grounds of safety, but this raises to the non-mariner in me the question: Which police and on ground of which country's legislation?

How is such exclusion zone communicated to boats which happen to be nearby? How could they have known?

Layman's questions, I know.

The exclusion zone is probably being announced over marine radio constantly as a Securite. When we are out on the water, we hear such radio calls all the time and are expected to pay attention to them. There are three levels of calls. Most people know about "Mayday" which brings the highest response level and must only be used in life threatening situations. Next is "Pan-Pan" which is used in emergencies that are not life threatening. If you have broken your leg it may be a Pan-Pan. If your leg is broken and you have uncontrolled bleeding it is a "Mayday." Securite calls typically are broadcast by the Coast Guard on Channel 16, the listening channel, and relate to safety at sea. Towing vessels broadcast when they have a boat in tow and all mariners in the area know to keep clear.

I don't know which particular police force performed this stop, but there are probably a number of possibilities. For instance, in my area there are at least four different agencies that would have authority, the local police maintain a fleet of patrol boats, as does the state marine patrol, the Fish and Wildlife service and the U.S. Coast Guard.

You may note that there are at least two, and perhaps three, official Italian boats traveling with the convoy, CP 942 U. Diciotti, CP 286 and CP 273.