Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Here is a gallery of 91 photos of the day Concordia left Giglio.

http://www.corriere.it/foto-gallery/cronache/14_luglio_23/concordia-l-ultimo-viaggio-genova-344a64b0-1238-11e4-a6a9-5bc06a2e2d1a.shtml

I don't know if they sounded the horns on Concordia, but there were horns sounding. May have been from all the other vessels.

http://www.sguardoeuropeo.it/italia/2450/costa-concordia-tutte-le-indicazioni-per-vederla.html

Google translation, as usual. The article goes on to recommend several viewing spots, so if anyone is in the area . . . .

A little more than 24 hours and the wreck of the Costa Concordia arrive on the west coast of the city of Genoa. In the coming hours there is a significant increase in the flow of traffic on the Genoa motorway by the persons concerned to witness the historic move that ends the largest rescue operation in the history of the ship, orgorlio European engineering. Concordia ship will remain docked to the breakwater of the Port of Pra - Voltri for a few months and will be visible by those who will be in transit on the railway line Genova - Ventimiglia , so who is not specifically involved in the operation of mooring and only want to see the giant of the sea can do so calmly in the following days.

To ensure the safety of those who intend to attend the docking maneuvers from the hills, from the shore or from the shore, the municipal administration of Genoa has prepared a plan that involves the use of a hundred people, including police officers Municipal officials civil protection and volunteers. Among the area Pegli Vesima will present five police patrols muncipale two shifts, concentrated in a particular way to Voltri, in addition to 4 teams of volunteers for each shift.

"For those who want to attend the maneuvers - said the city councilor for civil protection Gianni Crivello - recommend first to use public transport, limiting the use of private cars in order not to impede traffic . "

Thank you, Tonka, for everything. I share your sadness.

Ladies and Gentlemen' date='

I know I have not commented much in the last few weeks, but I have been following the thread and I found it amazing how wonderful all of you have worked together to bring so much information to everyone.

Especially those who started without much of a maritime background. Frankly I think you all are now Maritime experts!..........Congratulations to everyone of you.

I watch the Concordia now and I can feel nothing by sadness over the whole event and the 32 lives lost and the pain and suffering of everyone who was aboard her.

She is a destroyed *Lady of the seas*, but yet there is still a bit of dignity about her, like she is determined to make it to her last port where her duty will be completed.

Good bye Grand Lady..........you deserved better!

AKK[/quote']

MM, I've been doing the same as you, looking for a port cam.

What was funny was when I started I entered Port of Pra -Voltri into a search. As I scanned down the list imagine my surprise when I found a link to our thread.

I did end up finding one cam but after a while it required a sign in to continue so I let it go. Came here to tell about our thread and found that you were doing the same thing I was. Glad you had some success.

MM, I've been doing the same as you, looking for a port cam.

What was funny was when I started I entered Port of Pra -Voltri into a search. As I scanned down the list imagine my surprise when I found a link to our thread.

I did end up finding one cam but after a while it required a sign in to continue so I let it go. Came here to tell about our thread and found that you were doing the same thing I was. Glad you had some success.

I had been hunting for one on and off for the last couple of days. Just got lucky tonight when searching for Genoa webcams.

MM, been doing that myself. I keep hoping for a live stream. Wondering if Republica TV might show up. They've given the story a lot of coverage during the parbuckle and float away. This would be a good follow up to the story.

May have answered my own "wondering." I think this is video from them getting shots of Concordia when she was around Corsica.

http://video.repubblica.it/dossier/costa-concordia-il-recupero/concordia-la-prua-diretta-a-genova/173447/172026?ref=HRBV-1

Edited by SomeBeach

What time is she due in on Sunday?

Reports are saying dawn on Sunday. I think the convoy is a little ahead of schedule, but doubt that they would want to negotiate the docking in the dark. They are the professionals though, so maybe it wouldn't matter to them. Perhaps, Tonka knows if it would make a difference if they arrived earlier than dawn.

Edit: Just checked vesselfinder and the convoy has slowed down to 1.3 knots. They are probably timing their arrival and just keeping steerage. My guess, anyhow. Lots of pleasure craft in the area, too.

Edited by MorganMars

MM, been doing that myself. I keep hoping for a live stream. Wondering if Republica TV might show up. They've given the story a lot of coverage during the parbuckle and float away. This would be a good follow up to the story.

May have answered my own "wondering." I think this is video from them getting shots of Concordia when she was around Corsica.

http://video.repubblica.it/dossier/costa-concordia-il-recupero/concordia-la-prua-diretta-a-genova/173447/172026?ref=HRBV-1

Yes, I've been watching those videos on Republica. I think there is a lot of interest in the arrival in Genoa. Read reports of the hotels being full and reporters looking for lodging.

http://www.theparbucklingproject.com/article/103/July_25th_-_News_from_Concordia_navigation

There are still about 60 nautical miles to reach Genoa Prà-Voltri and, after 2 days of navigation, the Concordia is now about 20 miles West from La Spezia. At the moment, the convoy has an average speed of about 1.7 knots which could be further slowed down in the next hours in order to allow the arrival in front of the port between Saturday night and Sunday morning, as per plan. The entrance in the port will be on Sunday morning, July 27th.

Today weather and sea conditions have been good, with calm sea and light wind from the south. A worsening of weather conditions is forecasted for tonight, with local rains in Liguria until tomorrow at noon. Weather conditions will improve in the afternoon to then become stable from the evening and on Sunday.

Given that...

"Concordia ship will remain docked to the breakwater of the Port of Pra-Voltri for a few months.."

it would seem likely that Concordia could initially be secured

somewhere along this breakwater below

somewhere out of other shipping's way, near the cross-hairs you see

Concordia_breakwater.jpg

Edited by Aplmac

Given that...

"Concordia ship will remain docked to the breakwater of the Port of Pra-Voltri for a few months.."

it would seem likely that Concordia could initially be secured

somewhere along this breakwater below

somewhere out of other shipping's way, near the cross-hairs you see...

I actually posted this just a couple of days ago:

Found this map on another website, not sure how accurate it is regarding where Costa Concordia will be moored.

14728346724_34ae076db4_o.jpg

(Credit Nedo B. Gonzales, Navi e Armatori)

And showing it in relation to the main port of Genoa...

Voltri on the far left, Genoa main port on the right

14730486802_03dc0c381e_c.jpg

And here's another showing the transfer of materials to the main dock...

14562001658_7c6a1d2e4f_o.jpg

:D

Edited by dmwnc1959

Reports are saying dawn on Sunday. I think the convoy is a little ahead of schedule, but doubt that they would want to negotiate the docking in the dark. They are the professionals though, so maybe it wouldn't matter to them. Perhaps, Tonka knows if it would make a difference if they arrived earlier than dawn.

Edit: Just checked vesselfinder and the convoy has slowed down to 1.3 knots. They are probably timing their arrival and just keeping steerage. My guess, anyhow. Lots of pleasure craft in the area, too.

Hi MM,

She is not easy to handle, so I am sure the salvage crew will of looking to start to bring her into the harbor/breakwater at first light. They would not want to work and maneuver her in the dark.

The only exception to that is if the weather and seas were to pick up and especially the wind, then they may feel its better/safer to bring her in as soon as possible, even if it's dark.

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

I actually posted this just a couple of days ago:

And here's another showing the transfer of materials to the main dock...

Obviously I haven't been following this as keenly as you have :D

Interesting to see the transfer of materials thing.

Looks like they're going to build a temporary bridge?

Is that what I'm seeing?

Naaaah... looks like a bunch of small boats ferrying stuff to and fro..

Edited by Aplmac

I noticed from several videos that the long boom of the tower crane is still on board. It is right on the upper deck in the starboard side.

From the Giglio News web site a couple of time lapse videos from their webcams. The videos link to longer 10-day time lapses.

http://www.giglionews.it/2014/07/24/allontanamento-concordia-time-lapse-delle-webcam/