Has the Explorer fixed the sewage smell?

lj1231

As has been stated before, the most common cause of the odor is people flushing things that are not to be flushed and clogging the system. I have been on Explorer for 3 cruises and have not smelled an odor at all. So, PLEASE, only flush the tissue supplied by the cruise line and your personal "deposits"

I didn't smell any sewage smell when i was on there 2008. I guess they are smelling it from the vent that comes and go. I was on Ncl Jewel and we hit the raw sewage smell for like a minute or two then it was gone. Best thing to do is have lysol near by in the cabin, so you can spray it when you smell it. Also i noticed that with all these reviews it never mention in same spot. Some reviews i read it was aft then forward then mid then starboard then port. So it move around.

As has been stated before, the most common cause of the odor is people flushing things that are not to be flushed and clogging the system. I have been on Explorer for 3 cruises and have not smelled an odor at all. So, PLEASE, only flush the tissue supplied by the cruise line and your personal "deposits"

Agreed...and the smell is NOT limited to Explorer...I've noticed it on other ships, AND other lines as well...

Incidentally, when "bunkering" you will notice a sewer-ish smell. That said, I didn't notice any odor when cruising with the MedicKens back in November.....

I've been on EX 11 times....and the smell is not that bad, does NOT happen all the time, and can be in different places....

Go on your cruise and have FUN!!!!:D:p

Edited by megr1125

Agreed...and the smell is NOT limited to Explorer...I've noticed it on other ships, AND other lines as well...

Incidentally, when "bunkering" you will notice a sewer-ish smell. That said, I didn't notice any odor when cruising with the MedicKens back in November.....

I've been on EX 11 times....and the smell is not that bad, does NOT happen all the time, and can be in different places....

Go on your cruise and have FUN!!!!:D:p

Forgive my ignorance, but "bunkering"?? I'm sure it means something quite different than the mental image I'm having. :o

We aren't cruising until the end of May, but this really concerns me as it seems to be months that people have been complaining about this.

Where exactly it is affecting. We are staying in room 9570.

Thanks.

I just came off the Explorer and I was in 9581.

If they don't have it fixed by then, then something's wrong, but it was a horrendous smell and I started using the opposite hallway. Honestly, it smelled like death and people started bringing up their friends to smell it. I wanted to complain about it, but I figured once I closed my door, I couldn't smell a thing, so I left it alone.

It was extremely unpleasant though; most of the time, they had the door ajar and you could hear the fan going.

My worst experience was on the Star Princess. Actually made you gag when you went to the restrooms. A few months after that cruise there was a fire on the Star. I have a feeling it was all related.

Never had a problem on the Explorer.

Was on the Explorer in December and only noticed it when the ship was stopped. The first occurence was in the cabin right when we got on the ship. Before I accused my wife of farting I noticed it coming from the vent, but as quickly as I noticed it it was gone. Only noticed it here and there the entire 12 days for just a glimpse. But it still seemed that it was only when the ship was stopped. Maybe it has something to do with the ships fresh-air system if it has it. Don't let it ruin your vacation, it's a beautiful ship!:)

I've never experienced this smell on Explorer or, fortunately for me it seems, any of the other RCI ships. Apparently, it's hit or miss.

Enjoy your cruise! Explorer is a great ship!

Sam :D

we were on the explorer in cabin 7206 on 16th jan and yes it was still there we didnt smell it in our cabin but when we came out the door we picked it up although not all the time; we had read about it before we went and thought it would be clear by the time we got there but obiously its an on going thing it didn`t really bother me as long as it wasn`t in our room and we had a great cruise

=lj1231;32321144]We aren't cruising until the end of May, but this really concerns me as it seems to be months that people have been complaining about this.

Where exactly it is affecting. We are staying in room 9570.

Thanks.

You telling me with all the technology they have at there disposal they can't design these ships to handel this sewerage. Hard to believe. The last time we cruised we had the odor the whole cruise at different spots and times all over the ship. Even with that we still had a great time.

Erie,

The sewage system is fantastic at handling SEWAGE. It just doesn't do well with diapers, feminine products and other stuff flushed in the toilet.

BTW The poor grade of diesel fuel used in ships is called bunker oil, hence the fueling process is called bunkering. This stuff is so thick it has to be heated in order to flow through pipes.

bun·ker·ing (bubreve.gifngprime.gifkschwa.gifr-ibreve.gifng)

n. The act or process of supplying a ship with fuel.

was not that the mental image you had.:D

Thank you so much!!!! I was thinking it had something to do with docking.....goes to show that you really can learn something new every day.

I was on the "Explorer of the Seas" for 13 days last month on the Jan.16,2012 Cruise. I didnot experience any odor and We were all over the Ship everday and also when in the ports. I HAVE EXPERIENCED THIS SMELL ON OTHER SHIPS in the RCCL Fleet and other Cruiselines. Don't worry about it. Go and enjoy your May Cruise....IKE

We were on the Explorer in December and only noticed the smell one day very briefly on deck.

We were on the Carnival Dream in 2009 and were concerned as it was going to be our first cruise and we'd read a lot of complaints just before we left about a sewage smell...but we didn't smell it once on the Dream.

Seems it can happen with any ship, anywhere so hopefully you'll get lucky and not have it happen to the area you are in.

On our Liberty of the Seas trip in Jan we were in the AFT Cabin 1400 on Deck 10 and had the smell. Maintenance came up and told us that this part of the ship was experiencing the sewage smell due to the incinerator burning the trash and we were located on that side.