Has the Explorer fixed the sewage smell?

lj1231

Curiously, I was accused of being the source of the smell, an accusation I vehemently denied.

Maybe RCI could solve this problem by doing a computer generated analysis of the ships passengers to find out who was on those ships that had the highest stink complaints and then post his or her picture at the check-in desk.:D

Agreed...and the smell is NOT limited to Explorer...I've noticed it on other ships, AND other lines as well...

Incidentally, when "bunkering" you will notice a sewer-ish smell. That said, I didn't notice any odor when cruising with the MedicKens back in November.....

I've been on EX 11 times....and the smell is not that bad, does NOT happen all the time, and can be in different places....

Go on your cruise and have FUN!!!!:D:p

Hi. Where in the swamps of NJ are you? We're in Shamong. We've been on the Ex 5 time, will be 6 in April, and also love the ship. And sailing out of Bayonne is just so convenient.:D We sailed in Nov. and there was a smelly problem, though. Never terrible, but certainly bothersome at times. Seemed to depend on which way the wind was blowing. The part that bugs me is that guest relations kept acting like there was no smell, no one else had mentioned it, and there wasn't a problem. Oh well, wasn't enough to dampen our great time and we're going again! YAY!

Just off the 1/27 sailing and we had no smell.

If you ever have a problem like this call the Medical department

Why would you call the Medical Dept. and wouldn't they charge you if they had to come up and check on something? Forgive me if these are stupid questions. Thanks

Edited by jt'scruisinmom

I have not been on the Explorer, but we have been on 2 other RCCL ships and have had sewer smell problems. They really need to do a better job with this. You mean to tell me that they can't smell it? We got a considerable credit because of this on 2 occassions.

Why would you call the Medical Dept. and wouldn't they charge you if they had to come up and check on something? Forgive me if these are stupid questions. Thanks

If the smell is bad and making you sick and the guest relations staff will do nothing i am sure the medical staff will get it taken care of.

You telling me with all the technology they have at there disposal they can't design these ships to handel this sewerage.

Ships are a curious problem for sewer systems. They rock and roll with the waves. Most land systems (with exception of lift pump stations) depend on gravity (as in s**t runs down hill). Ships have to use a vaccum system that in addition to moving the stuff moves air. When all works as designed (with no undesigned for objects in the way) the air movement controls the odors. When the air can't move and vacuum from ventalation system or open doors pulls back the odors escape. Due to system design I don't think all the drains have the U type gas traps.

We had a case where the two accessible cabins on either side of ours both had mild foul odor from the shower drains. My parents, in one of those cabins, put a wet wash cloth over the drain and it helped. They also noticed that having balcony door open made it worse. Our cabin never had the issue.

Just got off (Deck 8) Disembark 2/6/2012 Did not notice any thing abnormal Ocaasionally you get an odor on any ship but nothing out of ordinary. I was never on Deck 9

What cabin number? We have 8626 and 8628 booked.

Maintenance came up and told us that this part of the ship was experiencing the sewage smell due to the incinerator burning the trash and we were located on that side.
Gotta give them 10 points for coming up with imaginative excuses...sorry "reasons" for problems

Hi. Where in the swamps of NJ are you? We're in Shamong. We've been on the Ex 5 time' date=' will be 6 in April, and also love the ship. And sailing out of Bayonne is just so convenient.:D We sailed in Nov. and there was a smelly problem, though. Never terrible, but certainly bothersome at times. Seemed to depend on which way the wind was blowing. The part that bugs me is that guest relations kept acting like there was no smell, no one else had mentioned it, and there wasn't a problem. Oh well, wasn't enough to dampen our great time and we're going again! YAY![/quote']

My step-son and his family live in Shamong. If you have kids in Lacrosse you probably know them.

There is another post, where a passenger is complaining of health issues revolving around air quality and health issues.

Got a message from fellow CCer 138east today...she's currently aboard and has been "all over the ship" and hasn't smelled anything....

and to the person who asked...i'm a bit north of you in mercer county...

thats good newsWe have good friends on that cruise and hope they are having a wonderful time

• 2 years later...

We have read multiple complaints about sewer smell, and first encountered it on Royal Caribbean's Enchantment of the Seas.

We found our cabin steward right away and told him how we have fixed a similar problem in our office/hotel building--pour a cup of vegetable oil down the floor drain once every 3 to 6 months.

He said he'd never heard of that, but could always learn something new. We went to explore the ship and when we got back, no more odor!

I don't know if they took our suggestion but the smell never returned throughout the cruise.