Tipping employees with gifts

defend their position because they have done it before and if they admitted it wasn't such a good idea, then they wold be acknowledging their previous error. So, you are not gonna change their minds.

If you take the time to get to know a crew member, you will find out that many of the "gifts" have little value....ie, a phone card good for all of Europe and the recipient is from Thailand, or the Ukraine...etc.

Stick with the extra $$$ that is truly appreciated!!! Comment cards....that is truly appreciated!!!

defend their position because they have done it before and if they admitted it wasn't such a good idea, then they wold be acknowledging their previous error. So, you are not gonna change their minds.

At least not until Hades freezes over.:D They also INSIST that the crew loved what they gave them and were so appreciative. Do they really think the crew is going to say, "why did you give me this garbage, give me cash?":rolleyes:

At the risk of being flamed, I will say that we gave extra tips and a very small gift to our waitress on our recent trip. During our cruise, I wore a unique metal hair accessory. Our waitress, Tamara, noticed it, loved it, and asked where I got it from. When I told her it was at a local (NY) Rennaissance Faire, she seemed disappointed that she couldn't go there and get one. It became an inside joke for us because she would alwyas hint at me getting her one and bringing it on the next cruise I took. So, at the end of the cruise, I gave her one that I had brought with me. It was a brand new one (still in it's packaging) and was small enough to fit in the envelope. Her gratitude was definitely genuine.

At the risk of being flamed, I will say that we gave extra tips and a very small gift to our waitress on our recent trip. During our cruise, I wore a unique metal hair accessory. Our waitress, Tamara, noticed it, loved it, and asked where I got it from. When I told her it was at a local (NY) Rennaissance Faire, she seemed disappointed that she couldn't go there and get one. It became an inside joke for us because she would alwyas hint at me getting her one and bringing it on the next cruise I took. So, at the end of the cruise, I gave her one that I had brought with me. It was a brand new one (still in it's packaging) and was small enough to fit in the envelope. Her gratitude was definitely genuine.

This is a lovely story! Certainly a special situation and different than just giving a random gift without knowing the person's likes or needs.

Meh, I think thats a little different. Clearly she showed an interest in it and wanted one for herself.....Im sure your small gift was very much appreciated along with the extra $$$$ :)

Just giving gifts out of the blue though, knowing their storage is small and most of all they need CASH, is a totally different thing than what you described.

JMHO :) No flames from me!

I say give them cash and let them buy what they want and need! UNLESS, there is a situation as you just described.

Thanks for the non-flaming. I was getting the fire extinguisher ready just in case.:D

Seriously though, we don't just give gifts to all of our servers. We know that not everybody wants gifts and that it is much easier and more practical for them to have money. Besides we like to avoid what I call "Fruitcake Face", which is the look on someone's face when you give them something they really don't want but they try to muster-up some fake gratitude. We just seemed to bond with our waitress a little differently than most of the servers we have had.

The issue of calling cards will never stop coming up here. I just don't get it, if someone wants to give an extra amount, make it MORE CASH. If the staff wants to call home the cash is just as good as a calling card but then it's their choice.

A little candy or something is one thing, but when it comes to spending anything more than a couple bucks it's their INCOME. Just like at home at a restaurant. Would anyone give their waitress a calling card??:rolleyes:

I guess you are sick of hearing about calling cards! I've only read about them once but I haven't been a member since July of 2005, either! I'll give you a heads up, I'm a new user to this board and have only been on 4 cruises, 3 of them were 3 day trips to the Bahamas and the other a 4 day trip to Cosumel so most of my questions will probably be something you've heard already!

Best,

Sunny

money. Besides we like to avoid what I call "Fruitcake Face", which is the look on someone's face when you give them something they really don't want but they try to muster-up some fake gratitude.

LOL! Hilarious! :D

Like OP, I go the cash and candy route. I had always tipped $15-$20 over recommended amount before auto tips went into effect unless they were really poor--only happened once.

Now, I leave $2 a day along with an individually wrapped piece of candy and a note thanking them for something be it keeping the ice bucket filled, cute towel animal, special request fulfilled, whatever. I figure if they don't/can't eat candy, they have a friend that does and the extra $2 always comes in handy since they know the auto-tips are in place.

I usually get the candy on the dump pile after a holiday for as little as 10 cents a piece. They don't seem to mind a snowman wrapper in January (lol). If no holiday is close, then a bag of snack candy will do.

Last cruise which was mid-January, the steward left me a note saying in 7 years with Royal Caribbean, no one had left him chocolates while thanking me.

What I find "amusing" is that most thank me graciously for the candy but never mention the money.

Another thing I do if time permits (no tours) is ask them if there is anything in town I can get them like toiletries, a special snack, etc. None have ever asked for anything that cost more than $10, most of the time around $5, and they are so appreciative.

The other thing the crew really appreciates is being named in the exit survey as being particularly good. This gets them promotions and extra days off.

Tucker in Texas

On our second cruise we brought little food items from home. Chocolate from Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory (the factory is here in Durango), jarred honey and jam and just some little treats all made here locally. We just gave them to our room steward. We gave him one every couple of nights. He stopped us in the hall the 2nd day of our cruise with tears in his eyes. He said that after 5 tours this was the first time he had ever been given anything like this.

It hardly cost anything, it was food so he din't have to store it or he could share it and he still received the cash tip at the end of the cruise.

I will continue with this tradition on all our future cruises.

No flaming here either - I think that was so sweet of you!

Cash...comment/WOW cards...and i usually ask if there is anything they need from port (like San Juan...not all crew have time to get off the ship..)

i've gotten Chips Ahoy, stockings (yes! went to the mall....asked if anyone wanted anything, and the gals at guest relations said PANTY HOSE...!...and once, i picked up a pair of shoes for someone..)

When cruising on holidays i've also made up little bags with candy....they went over very well!! mom and i became known as the candy ladies....

and of course, cash...

What a lovely story. What a neat experience. I do think that is a "special" case in regards to "gifting". Flames never entered my mind when I read your post. ;)

Hi guys,

Do you give cash in the country you sail from?

When i did Alaska B2B Hawaii i had $US dollars on me so used that.

We are sailing out of Sydney on The Voyager of the Seas so will have Aussie dollars so should we just use that???

Cheers :)

If you take the time to get to know a crew member, you will find out that many of the "gifts" have little value....ie, a phone card good for all of Europe and the recipient is from Thailand, or the Ukraine...etc.

Stick with the extra $$$ that is truly appreciated!!! Comment cards....that is truly appreciated!!!

Comment card notes with their name and positive comments goes a long way. Our room attendant on our B2B+ thanked us for the positive written comments, as they get note of them after you leave. I said then you will get 3 more as we were doing 4 B2B.:)

We also will give positive comments to their supervisor, if we see them in the hallway by our Attendant. They work hard and we appreciate it!

what would the pre-paid gratuities cover??

is it gratuities for the whole trip?? i just dont understand how this works :S

Yes, it's for the whole trip. It covers your cabin stewards, servers in the dining room (and other dining venues like the Windjammer) and also some of the behind the scenes workers you never see but who make your cruise memorable. You can add more if you like but it's not necessary.

The only people it doesn't cover are bartenders, the specialty coffee shop, etc. - there's a 15% tip added to your bill with space to write in more if you like.

Yes, it's for the whole trip. It covers your cabin stewards, servers in the dining room (and other dining venues like the Windjammer) and also some of the behind the scenes workers you never see but who make your cruise memorable. You can add more if you like but it's not necessary.

The only people it doesn't cover are bartenders, the specialty coffee shop, etc. - there's a 15% tip added to your bill with space to write in more if you like.

Thank you! now I know :)

At least not until Hades freezes over.:D They also INSIST that the crew loved what they gave them and were so appreciative. Do they really think the crew is going to say, "why did you give me this garbage, give me cash?":rolleyes:

one who believes any crew members want any of this trash should visit and read some of the crews facebook group pages. worse is how they think of people that think they are their friends.

Archived