Tipping employees with gifts

We did the pre-paid gratuities to get my time dining so we are paid up in that respect but what about those that go above and beyond? I read on one thread that cruise employees love being tipped with calling cards. Any other suggestions or stick with cash? If calling cards, which one?

Best,

Sunny

Cash...it's WHY they work! It's why YOU work...for money. When you have money, you can buy what you want..and that's what they'll do, too.

And, a nice review on the comment card will go a long way. But, if you tip them, give them money...not things!

We did the pre-paid gratuities to get my time dining so we are paid up in that respect but what about those that go above and beyond? I read on one thread that cruise employees love being tipped with calling cards. Any other suggestions or stick with cash? If calling cards, which one?

Best,

Sunny

In the UK because we are not accustom to the tipping world our cruises come with pre-paid grats anyways. So when it comes to the end of our cruise anyone who has gone above any beyond gets an extra bonus from us. Out of the ones listed who do get tips we only gave extra to our cabin steward (he was fantastic) and our assistant waiter (attentive and funny) other then that we didn't tip anyone else extra who was on the recomended tipping list. Instead we tipped our favorite barman (Dennis, cant wait to see him in a few weeks) and one of the guys on Guest Relations (just brilliant).

CK x

And, a nice review on the comment card will go a long way.

This too ^

If you feel they are deserving of extra money, by all means, leave nice comments or "excellent" with their name on the comment cards for them as well. :)

I don't see anything wrong with giving gifts, like calling cards, as long as it is in addition to their cash tips. But in replace of, absolutely not.

The issue of calling cards will never stop coming up here. I just don't get it, if someone wants to give an extra amount, make it MORE CASH. If the staff wants to call home the cash is just as good as a calling card but then it's their choice.

A little candy or something is one thing, but when it comes to spending anything more than a couple bucks it's their INCOME. Just like at home at a restaurant. Would anyone give their waitress a calling card??:rolleyes:

I don't see anything wrong with giving gifts, like calling cards, as long as it is in addition to their cash tips. But in replace of, absolutely not.

The problem I see about those calling cards is I don´t know if the crew needs it or not and if the kind I got works for them or not. If I give them the same amount in cash it´s up to them to decide if they need a calling card or something else. They can get those calling cards for less money on the ship too, so they could get more calling time out of the cash I give them. Laslty and probably most important, these days many many crew uses VoIP to call home and they don´t even need any calling cards anymore.

The calling cards you give them may not work for the countries they are calling. Forget it.

Besides, how would you like it if your boss gave you a calling card for your Christmas bonus??

Stick with cash.

I always leave specialty chocolates AND the standard cash tip for the stateroom attendant on the first day. Above and beyond is always cash on the last day.

I love this idea! It's not expensive, it doesn't take up space in their cabin, and it's not meant to replace a cash bonus. If they don't like the chocolates (or other candy), they can easily share it with fellow crew.

One of the very creative and ambitious people on our next cruise designed some pins for our Roll Call group on the TA from Miami to Rome. I ordered a few extra to use a token gifts. Sort of plan to make our cabin attendant an honorary member of the Roamin' Mariners by giving them a pin and also $10 or so for some up front special requests.

attachment.php?attachmentid=203936&d=1313829834

My post said I didn't see a problem if it was in addition to the cash tips, not replacing them. There's a difference.

My point is that giving calling cards is a bad idea. There is quite a bit of information about how crew members cannot always use the calling cards given to them by well-meaning passengers.

Best,

Sunny

cash. they want your cash. give them your cash. give them extra cash if they go above and beyond.

imagine your boss giving you a calling card instead of your bonus for your good work.

cash is king.

Archived