Not very happy with NCL

cutiepiefred

No, you want a room as close to the water line as possible and as close to mid ship as possible.

Take a pencil and hold it vertically, grasp it with 2 fingers. Where your fingers touch it represents the water line. Now move the pencil left and right. assuming the eraser is on top, look how far the eraser has to travel and look how far the spot directly above your fingers moves. That represents the decks. Do the same thing holding the pencil horizontally and move the tip up and down, The tip represents the bow, eraser is the stern and your fingers are mid ship.

Thanks Im pretty sure we are midship we are in rooms 4539, 4537, 4535

If you are seeing that 'up to a 4 category upgrade' on some online sites, your TA would have trouble moving you under that as it looks to be for new bookings.

I wouldn't worry much about moving from an inside on 4 to an inside on 10. If the cabin were bigger that would be one thing but it isn't. And 4 is probably less prone to motion than 10.

JMHO!

If you are seeing that 'up to a 4 category upgrade' on some online sites, your TA would have trouble moving you under that as it looks to be for new bookings.

I wouldn't worry much about moving from an inside on 4 to an inside on 10. If the cabin were bigger that would be one thing but it isn't. And 4 is probably less prone to motion than 10.

JMHO!

Yeah we are on 4 forward, but its pretty close to midship. ON deck 10 they were way forward like 3 back from the very front. so we are just going to stay

They don't charge a fee, but they take 3 months to refund the deposits. So we are just going to stick it out and bring extra Dramamine and hope for calm seas. They can't transfer due to the fact it was a group rate that was bought out by the TA. Thats why we can't get switch either the rooms we booked are about 150 more PP now.

If your seasick on deck 4 you'll be more seasick on deck 10 if the ship rolls. I don't know who gave you your information, it conflicts with information on sea sickness everywhere else in the world.

NOTE: I don't get seasick so I can't really be sure but I just know whats written in CC and other cruise related sites.

I think you are making the right choice. We've been on 20 something cruises and I have never in my life been seasick...where's wood!!?? The closest I've come though was twice and both were in Very forward inside cabins..once on the NCL Spirit (in 8013..not that it matters) when I was really just queasy. But then on the Carnival Fantasy, in the very first inside cabin on an upper deck, I was actually bag-ready!!

I try to avoid too forward cabins but the Spirit was a quarantee and the Fantasy was my choice to keep much older seniors from having to be that far forward on a group cruise I had when a TA.

Go..and have fun!!

Simple. Just cancel your cruise. You have plenty of time with no penalty. Rebook with another TA or directly with NCL.

We sailed NCL Pearl and really enjoyed it. We just got off a RCCL cruise on Explorer of the Seas and had a miserable cruise. Couldn't sleep in our promenade cabin because of noise below. Missed all the NCL restaurants. WE don't like eating in those 3 tier dining rooms because they are so noisey.

NCL has so many dining options. Most people love the Teppanyaki Japanese Restaurant on NCL but we love the adjoining Chinese Restaurant most. Service is incredible.

We went to an Italian Restaurant on our RCCL Explorer of the Seas cruise but found the menu was mostly Seafood and Steak. Should have been called Surf & Turf. I enjoy seafood but was prepared to order a dish with marinara sauce that night. Love that NCL has so many Italian options.

Most of all, who doesn't like NCL's LeBistro. It is my favorite romantic restaurant with great food, soft lighting and that chocolate fondue and incredible desserts.

Favorite thing on NCL is Martini Tastings. Great. Love the Great Outdoors bar and buffet area on back of ship for quiet romantic evenings watching the wake and enjoying the moonlight. Pearl is a perfect ship for that.

We cruise alot of different cruiselines and wish we could combine my favorite things into one ship. Wish NCL would bring back a movie theater or add an outdoor movie screen. Also wish they had adult only pools with retractable roof for bad weather days.

Really? cause we were on deck 1 our first cruise and deck 6 for number 2. was so much more rocky on deck 1 i thought. but that was carnival and the 2nd ship was bigger.

You really can't compare two different cruises. The seas were probably rougher on the first cruise.

Also, 3 months to get a deposit returned is ridiculous. If you didn't agree to that in writing, I would demand it in 10 days or less or you will be talking to the BBB.

I used to have problems with being sea sick but now as long I take bonine once a day and i also use the sea bands around my wrist until i get used to the seas, I do fine. I now can sail anytime and don't have any problems. We usually try to stay as close to the middle of the ship as possible but we do now stay on the higher floors since i've got it under control. But for me, its the middle of the ship that makes the difference.

I used to have problems with being sea sick but now as long I take bonine once a day and i also use the sea bands around my wrist until i get used to the seas, I do fine. I now can sail anytime and don't have any problems. We usually try to stay as close to the middle of the ship as possible but we do now stay on the higher floors since i've got it under control. But for me, its the middle of the ship that makes the difference.

Bonine (meclizine) is the way to go. Although I take mine at night starting the night before I get on the ship. Haven't had a problem with sea sickness since and I used to get sick EVERY cruise.

We haven't even been on a cruise with NCL yet, and I'm already thinking we should have just stayed with carnival. .

a) As others have said, this is a TA problem, not an NCL problem.

b) When booking a group fare, the TA takes on the risk of selling-through, and in exchange they get extra discounts. You found one who is willing to share that extra discount with you.

The downside for you, is that the TA you are using...is not the one with the discount.

c) If you have found 3 rooms that you like, call & make a booking at the TA WITH the discount. Then cancel the original booking.

thanks everyone..... It's just the fact the a bunch of us get sea sick and we need rooms higher up. and for the same price we just wanted switched. Well they said we can't get it transferred, but they don't charge a fee to cancel, but it could take 3 months to get a refund. I guess its really not NCL's fault. I guess we will just bring extra Dramamine and hope for calm seas

Exactly. Hope for calm seas, stay near the water-line. Sea-Bands, ginger, green apples, and watching the horizon are useful tips to avoid / counter motion-induced nausea.

They don't charge a fee, but they take 3 months to refund the deposits. So we are just going to stick it out and bring extra Dramamine and hope for calm seas. They can't transfer due to the fact it was a group rate that was bought out by the TA. Thats why we can't get switch either the rooms we booked are about 150 more PP now.

I would still cancel and rebook with your cruise being so far out. The cruise deposit is small when compared to the cost of the entire cruise.

I always do my initial cruise booking with NCL and then move the reservation to a TA just prior to final payment for additional OBC. You might consider this for future vacations.

We haven't even been on a cruise with NCL yet, and I'm already thinking we should have just stayed with carnival. Here is our dilemma.

We are booked on the pearl out of Miami in November.well we booked 3 rooms on deck 4, well I just now found 3 rooms together on deck 10 for the same price that we paid. If i'm not mistaken thats considered an upgrade from IF to IC. The problem is that we booked thru a TA and this deal is on a different TA. The original TA said to call NCL. well they are telling us they CANNOT switch our rooms without us paying extra. they also say we have to talk to the TA we booked with. I don't want to cancel our original bookings just to get switched to a new deck. I'm just wondering if their is anything we can do to get on deck 10 without cancelling our reservation to rebook.

Another good reason to book cruises yourself and have control over your booking.

We cut out our travel agent a couple of years ago for problems with getting our payments posted correctly to our NCL account. We have found it much easier to book and deal with NCL directly. Sorry you are getting the run around, however, as other posters have posted, it is a travel agent issue, not an NCL issue. NCL won't change or discuss an account, if a travel agent is included, unless the travel agent themselves contacts them. :D

We haven't even been on a cruise with NCL yet, and I'm already thinking we should have just stayed with carnival. Here is our dilemma.

We are booked on the pearl out of Miami in November.well we booked 3 rooms on deck 4, well I just now found 3 rooms together on deck 10 for the same price that we paid. If i'm not mistaken thats considered an upgrade from IF to IC. The problem is that we booked thru a TA and this deal is on a different TA. The original TA said to call NCL. well they are telling us they CANNOT switch our rooms without us paying extra. they also say we have to talk to the TA we booked with. I don't want to cancel our original bookings just to get switched to a new deck. I'm just wondering if their is anything we can do to get on deck 10 without cancelling our reservation to rebook.

First of all the other agent must have a group reserved or something as NCL has, what is thought of as fair market pricing, they have the same prices as the travel agents. There 's difference and yes, you have to go through your travel agent. This isn't just with NCL it is all cruise lines. When a travel agent books the reservation the cruise line considers them as owning the reservation. I would imagine the original TA isn't really very happy with you right now. I think you do have a TA problem, but let me also add, what others have said, the higher up you get the more likely you will get seasick. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you.

Sorry, I don't understand your complaint.

You booked cabins on deck 4 with TA #1, then saw a better deal advertised by TA #2, now you are complaining about seasickness before taking the cruise? How is any of this NCL's fault?

This is one reason I am glad that I book through my NCL Personal Cruise Consultant. I have MANY times changed category or rooms with ease. If they know you they will really work with you and your group. With a TA, you are taking a gamble and may end up in a situation such as this.

:o

Sorry, I don't understand your complaint.

You booked cabins on deck 4 with TA #1, then saw a better deal advertised by TA #2, now you are complaining about seasickness before taking the cruise? How is any of this NCL's fault?

My thoughts, too!

And why on earth would you book those cabins if you thought they would increase the possibility of being seasick? :confused:

My thoughts, too!

And why on earth would you book those cabins if you thought they would increase the possibility of being seasick? :confused:

OP was misguided and under the impression that the higher deck you are on, the lower the chances of motion problems, thus, sea sickness. There is so much misguided cruising information out there its a shame for new cruisers. Thank goodness for Cruise Critic and the help of the seasoned cruisers! :D

Archived