A British Mans First Cruise - Enchantment of the Seas

I got a response from RCCL.. (I didn't sail, but thought a kind word was needed)

Thank you for your email. We apologize for the delay in our response.

Thank you for taking the time to write us with your kind words of appreciation.

It is Royal Caribbean International's utmost priority on all our ships and sail

dates to ensure a safe and fun environment for everyone onboard. Occasionally,

situations arise that may have to alter the course of a sailing and we do our

best to accommodate all guests for the changes that must take place. We

appreciate your understanding and loyalty to Royal Caribbean International and

hope to welcome you onboard again soon.

Ms. Vince, thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International.

Morning all. Currently taking in the beautiful city of Baltimore. Ill catch up on posting my review and checking all posts on here. Met a gentleman this morning who told me of the mayhem that was going on here and a possible thread hijack. Ill try and catch up tomorrow and give you my insight into what was a very unsuspecting cruise.

Take care all,

Pr1vate Piles

Looking forward to hearing about your first cruise; it was very unusual, and got off to a rough start for sure. So glad you stayed on board and enjoyed your cruise. We've run into a few glitches, too...mostly do to things being labelled as "assessible" that were not. Luckily, with some help, I still manage to enjoy our cruises despite some challenges. Hope you had a good time in Baltimore, too. We lived there for 20 years, and love visiting whenever I can, esp. since I can cruise from there now...Jann

Baltimore is an awesome city, sat in hotel lobby, got hour wait till pick up, then waiting till 9pm till flight home. Urban outfitters is my new fave shop, shame we not got one in UK. I suspect a lot of online shopping to come very soon. Weather has been gorgeous, good start for the lucky people getting onto the ship now it has two good engines. Speak soon guys :-)

Baltimore is an awesome city, sat in hotel lobby, got hour wait till pick up, then waiting till 9pm till flight home. Urban outfitters is my new fave shop, shame we not got one in UK. I suspect a lot of online shopping to come very soon. Weather has been gorgeous, good start for the lucky people getting onto the ship now it has two good engines. Speak soon guys :-)

I'm not sure where pr1vatepiles got the info to say this, but it's probably very important to post that it may not mean what you think or want it to mean.

The last word from the Captain on the matter was that the affected motor was operating at 65% of "normal", whatever unit of measure that may be.

During the last 3 days of our cruise, the schedule quite literally did not require as much speed as the ship was able to make, so we very much took our time getting back home. At each time I checked with my GPS, we did not go more than about 16 mph all the way from Nassau to the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. The Captain did mention that we had an emergency medical evacuation to make, which we did, so we may have sped up as soon as that became apparent, but I did not check our speed during that time.

We proceeded up the Bay very slowly, around 10-12 mph each time I checked, and as evidenced by the 11 hour trip, compared to a normal 8 hours or so.

This next cruise has adjusted their itinerary so that they will not require the normal top speed of the ship. There will simply be no way for a casual observer to tell if the motor is "fixed". The Captain may share that information at some point, but since it does not affect the current sailing, I do not believe he will.

The proof of the status of the problem will not be apparent until the March 10 sailing, which like our February 18 sailing, does require the higher speeds. The answer will be discovered when they either do or do not alter the itinerary for that sailing.

I know that they brought on additional technicians today. I suspect they will keep working the problem until it is solved, and any decisions regarding any future changes to itineraries will be postponed until they are able to know for sure how their current and future repair efforts go. With any luck, even though it is hard to hear nothing, that is the best thing to hear, since this is clearly a case of "no news" being "good news!"

Theron

Thanks for posting this information.

Although I am not sailing on her currently...I was going to be one of her passengers, until somethig up my end and was unable to join them on this cruise.

But we have been on pins and needles just wondering what is going on.

Latest report is that she is running with two fixed and strong motors. :)

I have lots of friends on that sailing. That's all for now.

Although I am not sailing on her currently...I was going to be one of her passengers, until somethig up my end and was unable to join them on this cruise.

Just to repeat what I had previously posted, the last word we got from the Captain was that the affected motor was running at 65%. Unless you have heard from a later source, in which case, I and everyone else would love to know what that source was! :)

Theron

I wanted you (OP) to get a look at this news report from Washington DC news chan 9.

http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/stor...storyid=185161

Sudsy

I'm confused about whether you posted this because you thought it was about this sailing because it has nothing to do with the Enchantment's recent engine problems. The date of the report January 16, 2012. Apparently this was just a local interiew with Enchantment passengers that day about whether or not the Costa Concordia accident would affect their plans to cruise. It also states in the tv report that 6 people are reported dead when it's now like 25 people.

Have now caught up with this thread and am so looking forward to hearing the OP's review of his cruise. I loved his enthusiasm of a first visit to the USA as well as the ship.

As a Brit who needs a long haul flight anyway, I would never fancy going to the Caribbean from the NE in winter. Oh wait, hang on a minute. I am on Jewel out of Boston in late October, Repo to Tampa. Mmm. 3 cold sea days. ;) Hoping the weather is kind this year.

Good'onya OP. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

That looks like a gorgeous itinerary, may have to look into it myself! As for the first 3 sea days, it should start to warm up fairly quickly once you get out into the Gulf Stream. I'm guessing you'll be poolside by sea day #2 (and even if it is a little cool at least Jewel has the indoor Solarium). Have a great cruise!

The other link regarding this cruise has been locked and closed down to to some nasty arguments and name calling that has started.

Some of the passengers that got off are now talking about sueing, and the response from most of the frequent cruisers was to tell them they had no grounds. Other complaints of people getting off was that the kids were running around.

Since I have cruised a lot, I would like to offer some advice. First....If you want warm weather, then cruise out of a Florida or Caribbean port. Baltimore is cold in Feb. and the ocean is cold until you get to Florida. The days at sea will be cold. Also, Florida in Feb. can also be chilly, so to be sure of nice weather book a Southern or Western Caribbean cruise.

Second: If you don't like kids, don't sail when schools are out for a vacation. This week many of the northern schools close down for a winter break and that is why there are 600 kids on board. The same will be true for Christmas, Easter and summer vacations.

Third: If you know you get sea sick, or if you haven't cruised before, be sure to take sea sick meds before you start to cruise. No one can guarrantee the weather or the waves and you can't blame the ship company for that.

This was a comment made before the other site was closed....

#935 report.gif

post_old.gif Today, 01:53 PM

image.php?u=341910&dateline=1322349272ryano user_online.gif

Cool Cruiser

icon1.gif

The very SAME people on this cruise saying the ship should have never left Baltimore would been have the very SAME people that would have been throwing a fit if the ship hadnt of left Baltimore :rolleyes:

This self entitlement stuff makes me sick. Not to mention the name calling ("you're an idiot") and personal insults to all our retirees on this board are hopefully grounds for immediate banning from this website.

No need for that garbage here

Most of us agreed with that statement.

I hope for those who stayed on board you will have a safe trip back to Baltimore and that the sea conditions and weather will improve.

Hear hear to all you said!

This is directly coming from someone on the sailing of February 18th, PrIvatePile, our British guest. :p

I'm not sure where pr1vatepiles got the info to say this, but it's probably very important to post that it may not mean what you think or want it to mean.

The last word from the Captain on the matter was that the affected motor was operating at 65% of "normal", whatever unit of measure that may be.

During the last 3 days of our cruise, the schedule quite literally did not require as much speed as the ship was able to make, so we very much took our time getting back home. At each time I checked with my GPS, we did not go more than about 16 mph all the way from Nassau to the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. The Captain did mention that we had an emergency medical evacuation to make, which we did, so we may have sped up as soon as that became apparent, but I did not check our speed during that time.

We proceeded up the Bay very slowly, around 10-12 mph each time I checked, and as evidenced by the 11 hour trip, compared to a normal 8 hours or so.

This next cruise has adjusted their itinerary so that they will not require the normal top speed of the ship. There will simply be no way for a casual observer to tell if the motor is "fixed". The Captain may share that information at some point, but since it does not affect the current sailing, I do not believe he will.

The proof of the status of the problem will not be apparent until the March 10 sailing, which like our February 18 sailing, does require the higher speeds. The answer will be discovered when they either do or do not alter the itinerary for that sailing.

I know that they brought on additional technicians today. I suspect they will keep working the problem until it is solved, and any decisions regarding any future changes to itineraries will be postponed until they are able to know for sure how their current and future repair efforts go. With any luck, even though it is hard to hear nothing, that is the best thing to hear, since this is clearly a case of "no news" being "good news!"

Theron

Just to repeat what I had previously posted, the last word we got from the Captain was that the affected motor was running at 65%. Unless you have heard from a later source, in which case, I and everyone else would love to know what that source was! :)

Theron

This is directly coming from someone on the sailing of February 18th, PrIvatePile, our British guest.

Please see my previous posts on this. Pr1vatepiles has not yet shared with anyone what his source for his statement was, but I can assure you, I was also on the cruise, and I was very engaged with the status reporting on the problem, and at no time was there any additional information provided to us, or any evidence observed by me, that indicated anything better than a 65% performance out of the affected motor.

Theron

I wanted you (OP) to get a look at this news report from Washington DC news chan 9.

Sudsy

SORRY PP, I THOUGHT THIS WAS A NEW ADDITION TO THE STORY THEY ORIGINALLY DID IN JANUARY AFTER THE CONCORDIA ACCIDENT. I WAS WRONG. IT WAS THE SAME OLD VIDEO. I hope you had a smooth fligth home and suspect you are sleeping now. Looking forward to your comments on the thread you started.

Sudsy:o

Sudsy

SORRY PP, I THOUGHT THIS WAS A NEW ADDITION TO THE STORY THEY ORIGINALLY DID IN JANUARY AFTER THE CONCORDIA ACCIDENT. I WAS WRONG. IT WAS THE SAME OLD VIDEO. I hope you had a smooth flight home and suspect you are sleeping now. Looking forward to your comments on the thread you started.

SORRY PP, I THOUGHT THIS WAS A NEW ADDITION TO THE STORY THEY ORIGINALLY DID IN JANUARY AFTER THE CONCORDIA ACCIDENT. I WAS WRONG. IT WAS THE SAME OLD VIDEO. I hope you had a smooth flight home and suspect you are sleeping now. Looking forward to your comments on the thread you started.

This site is whacked out sometimes. I was forced to re-post this to get an update.

Sudsy

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I've taken so long to reply. Flight home tired me out and with going back to work the next day, not had five minutes to myself. Hopefully my next few posts will put me back into peoples good books and ill answer any questions you guys make. I'll continue my report from Cape Canaveral.

By time we awoke on that morning we were already tied up. We got up at 06:30 to a gorgeous sun rise. Headed to the windjammer for my morning pancakes. Knowing it was going to be a long day we stopped off at Starbucks before heading down to deck 1. The ship seemed very quiet, i was expecting a mad rush to get onto dry land ha ha. We proceeded pass security where out cards were scanned before making our way along side of the ship to yet more security. I completely forgot you couldn't take food off the ship and had to get rid of my apples. Once we got pass the second security gate we stood with a few people before we were finally met by staff and shown to our coach. Maybe we were just to early but i thought they would have had some signs up or had people waiting for us, but guess that's just me being picky, (on seconds thought, they had 3 days to get ready, hmm...). Once on board, our driver Joe wasted no time and we were soon off. The journey passed very quickly thanks to the wonderful info Joe kept telling us. I was amazed that the hanger NASA had was so large it had its own atmosphere and use to rain inside :D. Once we arrived at Disney, it was easy to find our way to the ticket office (where we got a free badge :D) and soon on the little boat ride to the park, (i suspect this little boat moved faster then the ship did :P). Always wanted to come to Disney land and it was a fantastic visit for me. Bit i remember was the huge pieces of meat being sold, never seen anything like that before haha. Pick up was just as easy, as was the return trip back passed security, we were soon back in our rooms and resting our tired feet. Last about five minutes, soon as i realised it was thundering outside, i grabbed my camera and coat and headed to top deck. You guys have way better storms then we get in the UK. The rain was coming down heavy but it was so warm. I stayed out for a while watching the lightning, I tried get videos but kept missing it by seconds :D.Pics uploading now will put links in shortly.

PP.

I said this because of what i heard on way back while on the ship. There had been some sort of emergency and we were travelling at full speed. It was mentioned both engines were working fine. Maybe I misunderstood the statement from the captain. I haven't had time to check the full story of what happened with the engines, if anyone can fill me in, please do.

That you had forgotten us. I am anxiously awaiting your final reveiw. I am also following the current trip of the ENOS. Those folks are having a great time and had some great port stops that were extended into the evening hours. That is pretty unusual for a cruise ship to be in port until midnight or one AM. The next group has an altered itinerary also.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=32789248&posted=1#post32789248

Sudsy:)

I said this because of what i heard on way back while on the ship. There had been some sort of emergency and we were travelling at full speed. It was mentioned both engines were working fine. Maybe I misunderstood the statement from the captain. I haven't had time to check the full story of what happened with the engines, if anyone can fill me in, please do.

There was a sick passenger onboard and she or he were put off on the pilot boat at Norfolk. That's why the capt pushed the ship to max speed. The motor is still not fixed. Parts are being manufactured and the repairs will be made later.

Sudsy:)

Archived